PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Paid No Federal Taxes

Williamsmith
3-9-18, 12:58pm
According to this article:

https://newfoodeconomy.org/amazon-whole-foods-a-whole-federal-tax-doorbell-ring/

Amazon earned 5.6 billion dollars in 2017 and Is expected to pay nothing in federal taxes. Amazon could have been responsible to pay 1.3 billion dollars in taxes under the standard coporate tax rate of 35% (not anymore). But since it takes advantage of tax loopholes by paying its employees stock options instead of salary increases.....it writes off when executives cash in stock options. In essence, the taxpayers are paying for the executives bonuses.

Which is a neat trick for the richest man in the world. Jeff Bezos is worth 112 billion dollars. He beats Bill Gates by a whopping 22 billion dollars.

But in the wealthiest country in the world......we can’t afford healthcare for all.

rosarugosa
3-9-18, 1:02pm
That just defies comprehension!

Zoe Girl
3-9-18, 3:51pm
So messed up, and meanwhile we have homeless vets and hungry children whose parents work full time and people starting go fund me for medical treatments.

CathyA
3-9-18, 4:12pm
Something is very wrong here!

sweetana3
3-9-18, 4:22pm
Nothing new here. My husband's former company paid out bonuses as stock options. Hoping it would give the employees an incentive to make the company bigger and better. If anyone has an issue with corporate taxes as written, get in touch with your various representatives.

Quote: There’s nothing illegal or underhanded going on here. Amazon simply took advantage of standard corporate deductions available under the tax system, says Matthew Gardner, a researcher at the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP), a non-profit think tank focused on tax policy.

pinkytoe
3-9-18, 5:14pm
Mr Bezos does not seem to be as philanthropic-minded as other billionaires. It floors me that one man, one company has so much wealth and power.

bae
3-9-18, 5:43pm
Mr Bezos does not seem to be as philanthropic-minded as other billionaires. It floors me that one man, one company has so much wealth and power.

Philanthropy in the self-made-extremely-wealthy is somewhat correlated with the age of the individual, and where they are in the trajectory of their life.

Bezos is quite young - he was a classmate of mine, and he is still creating his company and his vision. While I "retired" when I was 36, and devoted most of my capital and efforts to the public good, Jeff is still fully-engaged in the "work" part of his life. I'm quite confident he'll step up to the plate once he achieves what he's striving for.

Williamsmith
3-9-18, 6:04pm
Nothing new here. My husband's former company paid out bonuses as stock options. Hoping it would give the employees an incentive to make the company bigger and better. If anyone has an issue with corporate taxes as written, get in touch with your various representatives.

Quote: There’s nothing illegal or underhanded going on here. Amazon simply took advantage of standard corporate deductions available under the tax system, says Matthew Gardner, a researcher at the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP), a non-profit think tank focused on tax policy.

I’m sure a change in tax law will not arise from the poor and middle class entreating their fully lobbied representatives for relief...as corporate America well knows. Legality being determined simply by the letter of the lawyers.....morality by the heart. No, I am sure that relief will be found by the same method relief was demanded under the banner of “no taxation without representation!” What the capitalist oligarchs seem to dismiss is that those with nothing, have nothing to lose. They believe that rich and poor are somehow “divinely created” where some founding fathers , namely Thomas Paine would say rich and poor are simply arbitrary divisions. We haven’t come very far in well over two centuries.

Williamsmith
3-9-18, 6:07pm
Philanthropy in the self-made-extremely-wealthy is somewhat correlated with the age of the individual, and where they are in the trajectory of their life.

Bezos is quite young - he was a classmate of mine, and he is still creating his company and his vision. While I "retired" when I was 36, and devoted most of my capital and efforts to the public good, Jeff is still fully-engaged in the "work" part of his life. I'm quite confident he'll step up to the plate once he achieves what he's striving for.

I hope Jeff is still able to step up to the plate when he gets done with the “work” or “accumulation” phase of his life and I hope there is someone left to step up for.

flowerseverywhere
3-9-18, 6:48pm
I’m sure a change in tax law will not arise from the poor and middle class entreating their fully lobbied representatives for relief...as corporate America well knows. Legality being determined simply by the letter of the lawyers.....morality by the heart. No, I am sure that relief will be found by the same method relief was demanded under the banner of “no taxation without representation!” What the capitalist oligarchs seem to dismiss is that those with nothing, have nothing to lose. They believe that rich and poor are somehow “divinely created” where some founding fathers , namely Thomas Paine would say rich and poor are simply arbitrary divisions. We haven’t come very far in well over two centuries.

plus the list of the wealthy includes almost all white men. Interesting.

Williamsmith
3-9-18, 8:09pm
plus the list of the wealthy includes almost all white men. Interesting.

Again, Thomas Paine observed the same :

”If we take a survey of ages and of countries, we shall find the women, almost—without exception—at all times and in all places, adored and oppressed. Man, who has never neglected an opportunity of exerting his power, in paying homage to their beauty, has always availed himself of their weakness. He has been at once their tyrant and their slave.”