PDA

View Full Version : Do fridge or car magnets count?

Ultralight
5-4-18, 8:13am
I had a debate with a minimalist pal. The question at hand is whether or not fridge magnets count as possessions?

I argued they do not because they are essentially two dimensional. I asked: "If I painted as mural on my wall, would that be a possession?"

She said they did count because when a person moves they have to take them off the fridge, thus they become three dimensional and you literally possess them in your hand and they take up space in a moving box.

Thoughts?

catherine
5-4-18, 8:21am
Let's say you paint over the magnet on your refrigerator with a coat of polyurethane. Then it doesn't count as a possession, otherwise, it most certainly does. If you are using it for a utilitarian purpose (i.e., holding up a shopping list or a photograph of Harley) then it counts as TWO possessions--magnet itself and the thing it's holding up :)

A little too into the minimalism weeds for me, but if you're counting possessions, I guess it matters.

rosarugosa
5-4-18, 8:58am
I say they count. I have a deep loathing of refrigerator magnets.

Zoe Girl
5-4-18, 9:05am
well it makes me think of a lot of things, like a box with many oatmeal packets or a jar full of pens. I have collected way too many pens myself.

SteveinMN
5-4-18, 9:10am
In my book, each magnet counts. It's not really a two-dimensional item; there is a third dimension even if it's just a small fraction of an inch (or centimeter). And it is portable.

Lainey
5-4-18, 9:21am
Think about if you were having to vacate your place, then would you take them with you? If yes, then they count.
So that could also include things like Welcome mats, storage systems you put up, garden art, etc.

I agree we're getting pretty picky on minimalism, though. But the contemplation of moving can be an eye-opener on the amount of possessions one actually owns.

catherine
5-4-18, 9:49am
...s or a jar full of pens. I have collected way too many pens myself.

I agree. Because of pen-clutter, I have considered going back to my Catholic school days when I owned one nice cartridge pen (and a few back-up cartridges). The ubiquity of cheap plastic pens means we just pick them up and throw them in junk drawers, purses, etc.

Float On
5-4-18, 9:50am
Well....now I think you should post a photo of your fridge magnet collection UL! Suddenly your possessions go from under 100 to the 200's???? You bought 'em...you stuck 'em....you have to remove 'em at some point.

Magnets I can do with out but pens? I love a good pen. I have a collection of wood turned pens and then I also like liquid gel pens. I hoard them in my small purse. One day I counted 16. I try really hard now to keep it at 3 in the purse and the rest in a drawer in the buffet and just rotate them. I'll get rid of everything before I get rid of a good pen.

sweetana3
5-4-18, 9:52am
I gathered all the pens and pencils in the house into a nice wide jug. Now they have a home and I can plop them there when they are found. I am actually using them up and need to find another source. Having a home for everything has made my life a whole lot easier.

Just knowing that the batteries and charger are always in one spot means husband can replace them also. Used baggies to sort the types also. And this applies to almost everything.

OH, and I found out that a lot of my pens did not work. So when I did the first organizing, I tried each one and threw out all the ugly or nonworking ones. Still had a huge jug full. Maybe limit yourself to one drawer for supplies and use a utensil divider to sort and limit them.

catherine
5-4-18, 9:59am
I guess another way of looking at the magnet question is, can you throw it away? If it can be disposed of, it's a possession.

I go through periodic purges of fridge magnets when their dirtiness or ugliness gets to me, regardless of how useful they are.

ApatheticNoMore
5-4-18, 2:25pm
Think about if you were having to vacate your place, then would you take them with you? If yes, then they count.

but you might not have to take them with you at all, they are stuck on the refrigerator and if the refrigerator is being moved anyway (yea I guess this means counting the fridge as a possession) they will go with it automatically probably just by being stuck on it.

Ultralight
5-4-18, 4:58pm
but you might not have to take them with you at all, they are stuck on the refrigerator and if the refrigerator is being moved anyway (yea I guess this means counting the fridge as a possession) they will go with it automatically probably just by being stuck on it.

Good point!

Teacher Terry
5-4-18, 5:01pm
Yes they count.

Zoe Girl
5-4-18, 5:17pm
In California it was weird because as a renter you were expected to get your own fridge, I never did that in any other state. So you would have to move the fridge no matter what.

mschrisgo2
5-4-18, 5:23pm
This last time I moved, I grabbed a ziplock baggie for the refrigerator magnets. Imagine my surprise when they did not fit in a sandwich size but needed a gallon baggie! (I have rented for many years in California and never had to get my own fridge.)

Yes, they count! LOL

Alan
5-4-18, 5:25pm
If you have 4 refrigerator magnets, are they each a possession equaling 4, or are they one possession called magnets? On the same principle, is a pair of shoes one possession or two?

Yppej
5-4-18, 5:34pm
Yes they count. Each one counts as one item. But I prefer it to remembering the trash/recycling/yard waste schedule in my head, or forgetting things I ran out of in the grocery store.

iris lilies
5-4-18, 6:16pm
I am with Alan, I woild count them as one item, a collection.

Tammy
5-4-18, 8:03pm
My frig is naked and I like it that way.

Gardnr
5-4-18, 8:50pm
I took a pile of fridge magnets to work today. one of my new employees has a beautiful 2yo daughter. I asked her if she ever puts photos on magnets and gives them to family? no. but MIA is absolutely in LOVE with magnets. She took them all. AND have never heard of the photo magnet gift idea.;) WIN WIN!

ToomuchStuff
5-5-18, 2:26am
Was the fridge furnished with the apartment? Were the magnets on it? Do you have/use just enough to perform useful services such as grocery list holder?

rosarugosa
5-5-18, 5:54am

Did you ever notice that in before and after kitchen pictures, the fridge is covered with crap in the before pics but naked in the after shots? It actually seems to make as much visual difference as the new counter tops, cabinets, flooring, etc. and for a lot less money!

Ultralight
5-5-18, 6:37am

Nudist!

jp1
5-5-18, 7:16am
Absolutely they count. Paper is more 2 dimensional than magnets. (Are there really different degrees of two dimensionality?) yet, a book or a notepad is just a collection of pieces of paper and I don't think anyone would deny it as a possession.

messengerhot
5-8-18, 1:09am
Yes, indeed! Magnets do count for me especially on a fridge.

JayPee
5-8-18, 8:05am
Hm. What's the point in counting anyway? Does it matter if you have 537 or 534 possessions if you count/do not count your fridge magnets?

If they are useful for you, keep them. If not, give them to someone who is bothered by his "naked" fridge ;-)

herbgeek
5-8-18, 8:54am
What's the point in counting anyway?

There's a smug sense of superiority over having fewer possessions among some minimalists.

ApatheticNoMore
5-8-18, 10:43am
I think it is really a: "how many angels can fit on the head of a pin?" discussion, for you intellectual amusement or something. Angels take up no space and are not to be counted as our possessions. Not even our guardian angel? No.

Ultralight
5-8-18, 5:04pm
There's a smug sense of superiority over having fewer possessions among some minimalists.

There is a spiteful sense of condemnation from some maximalists who are irked because some minimalists count their things and/or have decluttered to a very respectable level.

jp1
5-8-18, 9:24pm
Hm. What's the point in counting anyway? Does it matter if you have 537 or 534 possessions if you count/do not count your fridge magnets?

To anyone with 534 or 537 possessions it certainly doesn't matter. After all, that person is a maximalist. But to someone who would have either 150 or 153 possessions depending on the answer to the question then yes, it would matter a great deal.

The more important question than whether fridge magnets count is whether socks should be counted individually or in pairs. I personally lean towards individually since everyone's washing machine eats them and it would be silly when one went missing to say "This remaining sock is half of a possession. These two mismatched single socks combined only represent one full possession."

Ultralight
5-8-18, 9:39pm
The more important question than whether fridge magnets count is whether socks should be counted individually or in pairs. I personally lean towards individually since everyone's washing machine eats them and it would be silly when one went missing to say "This remaining sock is half of a possession. These two mismatched single socks combined only represent one full possession."

LOL!! Excellent point.

jp1
5-8-18, 10:10pm
Thinking more about this I wonder if a better approach altogether would be to quantify one's possessions by weight or volume rather than by number. I mean, geez, to a true minimalist purchasing a new box of paperclips would send their possession count into the stratosphere. But by using the more rational weight or volume method of assessment the new box of paperclips wouldn't have much impact at all except for the most committed of minimalists. Heck, one could even buy the discount multibox pack from amazon and still be golden.

ApatheticNoMore
5-8-18, 10:21pm
A box of paperclips is 1 thing: paperclips.

It would be like counting the cells in your body.

Alrighty, I have a special small storage container just for paper clips and safety pins.

JayPee
5-9-18, 3:25am
Hallo!

To anyone with 534 or 537 possessions it certainly doesn't matter. After all, that person is a maximalist. But to someone who would have either 150 or 153 possessions depending on the answer to the question then yes, it would matter a great deal.

I always thought minimalism was about keeping the things/activities/relationships you need and the things/activities/relationships that add value to your life. And let go of the rest.

If you reduce minimalism just to the number of things someone has, you miss out some great aspects of minimalism. But each as he likes.

But what I would really like to know: How much things are you "allowed" to have as a minimalist? Who set this number, and who allowed him to set the frontier?

I am definitely a minimalist, although I am quite sure I have more than 537 possessions (never counted them). 8 fridge magnets, all holding drawings from the kids. I case someone thinks I am not - what does it matter?

Regards
Jay

rosarugosa
5-9-18, 6:03am
Jay,
I'm inclined to agree that the number of refrigerator magnets is pretty irrelevant, and I like your definition of minimalism. I do have an overabundance of stuff in some categories, and I find it worthwhile to manage my inventory downward, so to speak.

Ultralight
5-9-18, 7:35am
This is just a fun conversation! Isn't it?

Teacher Terry
5-9-18, 1:06pm
About 20 years ago my Aunt said that when she travels instead of buying souvenirs she buys a refrigerator magnet to remember the trip. I thought what a good idea. Fast forward and now my fridge is covered. On the last trip my DH wanted to buy a magnet and I said no way. We have enough.

jp1
5-9-18, 9:04pm
Hallo!

I always thought minimalism was about keeping the things/activities/relationships you need and the things/activities/relationships that add value to your life. And let go of the rest.

If you reduce minimalism just to the number of things someone has, you miss out some great aspects of minimalism. But each as he likes.

But what I would really like to know: How much things are you "allowed" to have as a minimalist? Who set this number, and who allowed him to set the frontier?

I am definitely a minimalist, although I am quite sure I have more than 537 possessions (never counted them). 8 fridge magnets, all holding drawings from the kids. I case someone thinks I am not - what does it matter?

Regards
Jay

I suppose you're right. Just as I mostly leave it up to any particular category of people to decide how to classify themselves I'll leave it to minimalists to define what makes a minimalist. I'm definitely not one so it's probably not my place to say who is or isn't. Ultralight would probably call me a maximalist since I do still have some things from hobbies long abandoned that I don't especially want to give up. As long as he doesn't call me a hoarder I'm good. (and I don't think I am. We have room for everything we have, and everything we have is either currently used or loved or was heavily used at some point in the past. And we don't acquire much of anything beyond replacement of things that get depleted such as worn out clothes that get donated.)