PDA

View Full Version : Quest for Simplicity

optiminimalist
5-8-18, 11:05am
Hello all!

My name is Hannah, and I recently set out on a to quest lead a much more simple and organized life. I currently have the organization skills of a raccoon and the spending habits of Mike Tyson.

I have recently been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and have been struggling with finding new ways to do the things that used to be much easier. In addition, I'm a mechanic by trade with now sometimes useless hands. My husband has been accepted to grad school and will not be working full time, so I'll be our only income..as I try to switch career fields and find something I both like and am good at. Streeeesss. I decided to do two things: Start documenting my journey via blog (which I thought about linking in but I ain't shameless) and start reaching out the those already living the simple, frugal life I aspire for.

That's how I landed here. I look forward to learning more about the fabled frugal life from you all!

-Hannah

catherine
5-8-18, 11:34am
Hello and welcome! I love your screen name!

I completely identify with the raccoon/Mike Tyson similes. We are a very diverse group here, but all bound by the same overarching desire to live a simple life however we define it.

Looking forward to your sharing your journey!

KayLR
5-8-18, 11:55am
Welcome, Hannah! I look forward to reading your posts--your writing is delightful!

Teacher Terry
5-8-18, 12:23pm
Welcome! We have been frugal most of our lives but are now at the stage of our lives where we are spending to do the things we have waited to do. We are having a great time.

rosarugosa
5-8-18, 4:50pm
It's a pleasure to have you here Hannah and I look forward to future discussions. We have a really nice group here on the forums. MY SIL had RA and is taking Humira.

Ultralight
5-8-18, 5:01pm
Hello all!

My name is Hannah, and I recently set out on a to quest lead a much more simple and organized life. I currently have the organization skills of a raccoon and the spending habits of Mike Tyson.

I have recently been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and have been struggling with finding new ways to do the things that used to be much easier. In addition, I'm a mechanic by trade with now sometimes useless hands. My husband has been accepted to grad school and will not be working full time, so I'll be our only income..as I try to switch career fields and find something I both like and am good at. Streeeesss. I decided to do two things: Start documenting my journey via blog (which I thought about linking in but I ain't shameless) and start reaching out the those already living the simple, frugal life I aspire for.

That's how I landed here. I look forward to learning more about the fabled frugal life from you all!

-Hannah

Hannah:

Welcome! Please share the blog if you like. :)

You'll find us a friendly, occasionally rowdy and disagreeable, but truly fun bunch.

This place is an excellent sounding board for ideas.

SteveinMN
5-8-18, 5:48pm
Welcome, Hannah! If your first post is anything to go by, you're an entertaining writer. I'm looking forward to your posts here. I also would like to take a look at your blog.

Float On
5-8-18, 6:44pm
Welcome! Love your intro! I'm going to laugh about racoons all evening. Sorry mechanic work is becoming more difficult as your medical issue develops. My advice don't attack everything at once except lists. Lists will be your best source of motivation.

optiminimalist
5-9-18, 9:18am
It's a pleasure to have you here Hannah and I look forward to future discussions. We have a really nice group here on the forums. MY SIL had RA and is taking Humira.

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that! I hope he is doing well with it. I take prednisone and plaquinil, but am vying to start taking Enbrel instead.

ApatheticNoMore
5-9-18, 11:12am
Are you still working as a mechanic or doing something else to pay the bills (due to the RA)?

optiminimalist
5-9-18, 11:54am
Are you still working as a mechanic or doing something else to pay the bills (due to the RA)?

Currently I'm still at my old job as a mechanic, though my supervisor has tasked me with more administrative duties for now. If my hands are functional, I work on equipment. If they aren't, I keep track of the workload and take care of additional duties. This isn't a long term solution, but it's getting me through now. I'm currently in the process of applying for and interviewing at other jobs! I'm bracing for a significant pay cut. My current job is federal AND union, and pays more than even I feel I'm worth. Unless I find another federal job I'm qualified for I'll be going back to a more realistic pay scale :laff:

Teacher Terry
5-9-18, 1:04pm
Would it be possible to transfer to a federal office job with a variety of tasks? That way you could keep your pension. It would pay less but you are facing that anyways.

optiminimalist
5-9-18, 6:07pm
Would it be possible to transfer to a federal office job with a variety of tasks? That way you could keep your pension. It would pay less but you are facing that anyways.

Yes, I have definitely applied for a few! They are few and far between for people without much office experience, but I'm giving them my best shot :)