PDA

View Full Version : Travel Plans for this Year?

Teacher Terry
5-18-18, 12:39pm
We are taking a 6 week driving trip starting the middle of June. We are going to visit friends and family in TX, KS, Iowa and Wisconsin. We will also be seeing the sights in each area. Then from WI we are going to Canada, Glacier National Park, Idaho and home. We are using a combo of Motel 6's and airbnb's. We are taking our 3 dogs. Booking was a challenge because although two of our dogs are small one is 80lbs. The longest we have ever been gone before was a month. It is way cheaper to take the car and pay for motels then to take our motorhome. 3 years ago we spent 6k on a month trip and I had to cook all the time. This time we will eat dinner out everyday and it should cost us around 5k. Anyone else have any travel plans?

razz
5-18-18, 1:18pm
I am booked and paid for my visit to Japan in September, my first trip to Asia so really looking forward to it. i spend my spring and summer months attending the Stratford Festival and Shaw Festival in Niagara with local professional theatre as well. I love my gardens and just enjoy being home for the summer otherwise but will visit my family, of course.

Teacher Terry
5-18-18, 1:41pm
Japan is also a place I want to go. My son is moving to Saigon to teach English this summer. We will fly out to visit him in a year or 2. Since Australia is close we will stop there on the way to meet my new sister. I also want to go back to Europe to see about 4 other countries that we have not seen. We have a cruise booked in Feb. In SF there is a Chinatown and Japantown. I love Japantown because it is clean, quiet, people are really pleasant,etc. Chinatown actually makes me nervous as it is loud and chaotic.

gimmethesimplelife
5-18-18, 4:46pm
Bangkok later this year....probably September/early October before the Season starts. So excited, both to visit Thailand and also by how inexpensive travel to Thailand is (once you get there, but getting there is not as pricey as I thought it would be, either). Rob

sweetana3
5-18-18, 5:20pm
They have a huge huge weekend market located on the metro line. Chinatown is also fascinating. Lots of alleys full of vendors. Look for the rice bowl designation picture on restaurant signs. It is a sign of inspection and quality. Take a river ride. It is a real experience.

Try to get to Chaing Mai. Much more fun than Bangkok. Loads of things to do. Air easiest, or maybe take overnight train.

sweetana3
5-18-18, 5:23pm
Going to France with a chef group to visit Lyon and a European Food Fair and pastry championship. Our group will have our own chef coats to identify our group. We did not realize it was a trip for chefs when we booked it so we need to not speak too much and show our ignorance.

iris lilies
5-18-18, 5:28pm
What do you do with the dogs, leave them in a motel room when you go sightseeing and to a restaurant?

Our last trip was planned around Bozo, my bulldog. We planned it in the fall when it would be cool. Well, we took off and it immediately got hot. So Bo couldnt stay in the car, ever. That meant he had to stay in the motel room. But i dont trust an uncrated dog in the room because maids can come in an let them out. So we brought along a crate but guess what? Bozo barked like a maniac when crated in the room. Motel management would come down on us.

so I had to book an Air bnb casita (spearate little house) in our destination city where the big doofus could lounge around on the sofa and sleep. He did so, he was happy, no problems for two days. We went out and saw sights while he stayed home and alept on the sofa.

But I will not be traveling with the big lunk again.

We miss oir little Frenchie who was a good traveler, well behaved and quiet.

Teacher Terry
5-18-18, 7:11pm
Rob, Thailand is beautiful. The not so fun thing was the long air trip. It was 23 hours one way and 25 the other. Maybe planes have gotten faster in 20 years? The heat really bothered us too. We went in Nov which was winter but still very hot. Go see the Old President's Palace.

IL: we usually take the 2 tiny dogs with us and leave the big guy in the room. We have left the little ones in a crate with the TV on and it's been fine too. They are all good travelers. The big dog makes traveling a lot harder but my son needed a home for him.

iris lilies
5-18-18, 7:15pm
I am booked and paid for my visit to Japan in September, my first trip to Asia so really looking forward to it. i spend my spring and summer months attending the Stratford Festival and Shaw Festival in Niagara with local professional theatre as well. I love my gardens and just enjoy being home for the summer otherwise but will visit my family, of course.
I love Asia. It will be lovely!

Yppej
5-18-18, 7:19pm
Michigan is the plan but these relatives have flaked on us before when it comes to travel plans. The Mid-Atlantic is a backup plan.

freshstart
5-18-18, 9:31pm
I'm taking my first vacation in 5 yrs, the first since I've been sick. I have to go someplace very handicapped accessible and I need to rent a scooter. So my retirement dreams of seeing the Hermitage and the Louvre are on the way back burner for now. DBF and I are going to Disney in Nov. He is Egyptian American, has been here 12 yrs and has never been. It's the most handicapped accessible place on Earth and I'm excited to see it through his eyes. I've been saving and saving for a vacation but felt like I couldn't go because I make such little money. But I have a well stocked emergency fund and quite a bit saved for retirement that I haven't had to touch so I'm going. Now to stop feeling guilty....

Simplemind
5-18-18, 9:38pm
We are currently touring Georgia, North and South Carolina. Spent a night at the Biltmore (bucket list) and we are in our last night in Savannah leaving for Atlanta tomorrow. September we are continuing our Eastern exploring by doing Toronto, Quebec, Montreal and then coming down the Hudson and finishing in NY. I so love the East coast.

Ultralight
5-18-18, 9:45pm
I'm taking my first vacation in 5 yrs, the first since I've been sick. I have to go someplace very handicapped accessible and I need to rent a scooter. So my retirement dreams of seeing the Hermitage and the Louvre are on the way back burner for now. DBF and I are going to Disney in Nov. He is Egyptian American, has been here 12 yrs and has never been. It's the most handicapped accessible place on Earth and I'm excited to see it through his eyes. I've been saving and saving for a vacation but felt like I couldn't go because I make such little money. But I have a well stocked emergency fund and quite a bit saved for retirement that I haven't had to touch so I'm going. Now to stop feeling guilty....

I say go for it!

catherine
5-19-18, 6:36am
freshstart, have a wonderful time and don't feel guilty! I think Disney is great choice! And I don't remember you having a BF. Is this a new development?

Simplemind, you'll be passing through my neck of the woods, so give me a wave on your way to/from Montreal!

iris lilies
5-19-18, 6:40am
Freshstart, that is great!

We dont have plans this year to go any place because pur time is focused on our second house.
But our friends just got back from Morroco and I am jealous.

nswef
5-19-18, 11:46am
Freshstart try to not feel guilty and enjoy all the work you've put in to get to a place where you can vacation. Have fun in the most magical place on earth.

cindycindy
5-19-18, 1:21pm
Planning a trip to Dubai and India (Golden Triangle) this September. India is on my bucket list. My DH & I have been fortunate to travel internationally (due to his job and travel mileage points). We tried to do as many international trips during our 50's as possible as long flights are becoming more of a challenge. Planning domestic trips in our 60's and hopefully doing more local hiking and playing with grandchildren/great grandchildren in our 70's & 80's. At least that's the plan.

Teacher Terry
5-19-18, 2:45pm
FS: so glad you have a boyfriend and a chance you go on vacation! You deserve it.

freshstart
5-19-18, 6:25pm
thanks, guys. We've been dating for about a year now. He is a real gentleman, very kind.

dado potato
5-20-18, 2:27am
I plan to go to some of the waterfalls in the Upper Peninsula MI ... counties of Gogebic and Ontonagon. Hopefully I will be hiking in with my grand-daughter in July.

rosarugosa
5-20-18, 6:20am
Nothing glamorous for us, we'll be going to the Berkshires for a week in September. We always enjoy it though and can do it inexpensively.

herbgeek
5-20-18, 6:51am
We are doing a road trip to Cape Breton (Nova Scotia) this summer. We'd been to Nova Scotia 20 years or so ago, not realizing how big it really was, and had only seen the Yarmouth -> Halifax area.

Yppej
5-20-18, 7:24am
Nova Scotia is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. Enjoy!

happystuff
5-20-18, 8:06am
We are set to go to South Korea in a couple months. My children are Korean and this will be our second trip as a family... my dd's 3rd. Youngest doesn't want to go, so will be holding down the fort.

nswef
5-20-18, 11:20am
The Berkshires and Nova Scotia- Such wonderful places and Prince Edward Island. We're headed to Southwest Harbor, ME for a week, taking two nights to go up to stay one night at Old Orchard Beach so we can visit with a high school friend, one stop near Ellsworth then the week at Southwest Harbor. I'm excited as we were in Maine about 10 years ago and drove, drove to explore all we could. This time I plan to make wee trips in the Acadia Park area and just enjoy and pretend I live there. I love seeing where people love to go and want to go.

herbgeek
5-20-18, 1:24pm
Acadia is one of my favorite places, it never gets old for me. We've ridden the vast majority of the carriage roads, and quite a few hiking trails but there is always more to discover.

frugal-one
5-20-18, 2:16pm
Cancelled trip that was to start today for a bird migration in Ohio. Forecast is cold and rain. We will go next year. September going to see the burroughs of New York and stay extra to see the tourist sites in Manhattan. November plan on going on a national parks tour of Laos and Thailand to see the wildlife. Many local day and overnight trips planned too.

Interesting about Acadia. It was a disappointment to me. I thought it would be as awe inspiring as Glacier but did not even come close. We saw few birds or animals and the scenery was mediocre IMO.

SteveinMN
5-20-18, 10:14pm
No big plans this year; we've been invited to a wedding in Canada and a reception in California and likely will attend one, not both. The big vacation plans are for next year, when we plan to cruise the British Isles with our college travel buddies. I've been to Dublin and DW has seen some of the rest of Ireland, but all either one of us has seen of England has been the highway between Gatwick and Heathrow, so it would be nice to spend some more time there.

Lainey
5-20-18, 11:16pm
I'm very impressed with everyone's travel plans. Our big outing this year will be a train ride to the Grand Canyon with an overnight stay, and a 5 day stay in Calif. in a 5th wheel on family property.

Priority has been to provide time to family, mainly a) reliable weekly babysitting for granddaughter, and b) at least 1-2 trips year back East to see family/ help with family home projects. Luckily we're not big travelers anyway so our modest outings are just fine with us.

Float On
5-21-18, 10:33am
Nothing too exciting for us.
DH went to SC. I'll be going to NC and probably NM.
There are still about 50 things on my list I want to see in-state too so I'm trying to concentrate on that this year.

Gardnr
5-21-18, 8:29pm
Nothing glamorous for us, we'll be going to the Berkshires for a week in September. We always enjoy it though and can do it inexpensively.

The Berkshires are totally glamorous to me! There is so much to see and do....and so much space to relax. I hope you have a fabulous time! I was there for a week long class once and added 2 days to be a tourist with a friend who flew in for those 2 days. I hope you'll make the time for Norman Rockwell's campus. His studio is so fabulous!

I hope you have a fantastic week!!!!

Gardnr
5-21-18, 8:30pm
Nothing too exciting for us.
DH went to SC. I'll be going to NC and probably NM.
There are still about 50 things on my list I want to see in-state too so I'm trying to concentrate on that this year.

New Mexico: fabulous. So many interesting little towns off the beaten path. Have a wonderful time exploring.

mschrisgo2
5-22-18, 12:44am
Looks like Oregon is the focus of my summer :) My cousin and I are going to the Sisters OR Outdoor Quilt Show on July 14.

Then I'm going to the Cocker Spaniel National Speciality Shows in Albany Oregon the last 4 days of July (from California). Just today I decided I'm driving my own car, taking my dogs (who are pets, not show dogs) and I located a local doggy daycare for them. They will get lots of playtime and exercise during the day, while I have show time, and then be tired enough to sleep in the evenings when we have adult party time!

After the show is over, we are going to spend some time exploring the Oregon coast. It will be scorching hot at home by then, best to miss some of it. My brother and SIL have a second home in Gold Beach, so we will also visit there for a few days.

(I spend so much on air conditioning that I might as well pay for hotels! My vacation won't cost much more than staying home would have.)

Float On
5-22-18, 10:32am
New Mexico: fabulous. So many interesting little towns off the beaten path. Have a wonderful time exploring.

I lived there in '85 and go back every chance I get. I always find something new to explore and revisit favorites. I just got the Santa Fe Opera schedule program in the mail yesterday. Picked out another Opera that I must see there "Doctor Atomic". What a perfect setting. So that has narrowed down my dates of trying to make a quick trip out there.

Teacher Terry
5-22-18, 3:04pm
I love traveling to the East Coast as well as NM and the Oregon coast. So much beauty in our country.

Simplemind
5-22-18, 3:42pm
Just got back from Georgia, North and South Carolina. Lovely but oh so hot hot hot and humid. I guess it was record temperatures for them. Would love to go back when it was cooler. So glad to get off the plane in Portland and have cool crisp air. Ahhhhhhhhh

Gardnr
5-22-18, 8:01pm
Looks like Oregon is the focus of my summer :) My cousin and I are going to the Sisters OR Outdoor Quilt Show on July 14.

Then I'm going to the Cocker Spaniel National Speciality Shows in Albany Oregon the last 4 days of July (from California). Just today I decided I'm driving my own car, taking my dogs (who are pets, not show dogs) and I located a local doggy daycare for them. They will get lots of playtime and exercise during the day, while I have show time, and then be tired enough to sleep in the evenings when we have adult party time!

After the show is over, we are going to spend some time exploring the Oregon coast. It will be scorching hot at home by then, best to miss some of it. My brother and SIL have a second home in Gold Beach, so we will also visit there for a few days.

(I spend so much on air conditioning that I might as well pay for hotels! My vacation won't cost much more than staying home would have.)

LOVE the Sisters show. I've been x3. (It's a 5h drive). And the OR coast is fantastic. Beach walking I could do for hours upon end. ENJOY!!!!

rosarugosa
5-22-18, 8:53pm
The Berkshires are totally glamorous to me! There is so much to see and do....and so much space to relax. I hope you have a fabulous time! I was there for a week long class once and added 2 days to be a tourist with a friend who flew in for those 2 days. I hope you'll make the time for Norman Rockwell's campus. His studio is so fabulous!

I hope you have a fantastic week!!!!

Thanks, Gardnr! We do love it there; it just probably seems less glamorous since we live in MA, but we do enjoy the ease of local travel.

Gardenarian
5-29-18, 1:37am
I'm currently in Paris and thinking I might actually die of jet lag.
I have slept 4 hours in 3 days and am feeling psycho.

It'll pass, and between bouts of nausea and dizziness there is still amazement...
but I'm not ever going to cross that many time zones again. Never ever.

Float On
5-29-18, 12:59pm
I'm currently in Paris and thinking I might actually die of jet lag.
I have slept 4 hours in 3 days and am feeling psycho.

It'll pass, and between bouts of nausea and dizziness there is still amazement...
but I'm not ever going to cross that many time zones again. Never ever.

A friend does the Paris run 3 times a month. She's an attendant on AA. I often wonder how she does it but then I realize that's why she only does 5 flights a month to meet her quota for her seniority.

Teacher Terry
5-29-18, 2:56pm
That sounds awful! I have a little jet lag when I travel overseas but nothing like that G. Ugh!

Gardenarian
5-31-18, 2:12am
I've never had jet lag this bad before. I slept 5 hours last night and feel like a new person - but it was 5 really yucky days.

I don't know how flight attendants do it. I still don't know what day it is.

Teacher Terry
5-31-18, 10:48am
I think I would have taken a sleeping pill otc. That is way to long to be deprived of sleep. Hope you are staying long enough to make this worthwhile. We leave on our trip in 13 days. Very excited.

HappyHiker
6-13-18, 12:01pm
We've been saving for an Italy trip for a few years. In Sept., we'll be going to the Italian Lakes for 3 weeks...traveling by train, bus and ferries....hope to do some hiking, bike riding, and eating a lot of local goodies...our accommodations will be in simple B & B's as much as possible -- we like the human connection. Not booked B & B's for most of the trip, but will be staying in a stone house built in Medieval times for one week...very psyched. This has been on the top of our bucket list for a long, long time. Hard to believe it's upcoming...

iris lilies
6-13-18, 1:30pm
Hapyhiker, so exciting that you get to take this long awaited trip!

I get to go to Des Moines this year. Yeah, dont die of jealousy! Haha. Maybe also I will go to
Hastings, MN later in the summer for family crap. The Des Moines gig is for flower show crap.

Teacher Terry
6-13-18, 1:58pm
You will love Italy. We have been there twice.

SteveinMN
6-13-18, 2:32pm
You will love Italy. We have been there twice.
Indeed. Been to the Lakes (Como, Bellagio) only once and for nowhere near long enough, but I would love to go again.

Teacher Terry
6-13-18, 3:32pm
The food was excellent! Also much cheaper at places called Tractoreas instead of Restaurantes. I know I am spelling both wrong but one of those words will be on their sign. Food just as good in both but more expensive if you go with the second one. We always ate at small family owned ones.

herbgeek
6-13-18, 3:48pm
Also much cheaper at places called Tractoreas instead of Restaurantes

Trattoria perhaps?

HappyHiker
6-13-18, 4:52pm
Grazie for your good wishes! Glad folks have enjoyed the area... Yes, we'll be seeking out small, neighborhood, casual eateries for sure. Those where the menu is not in English...we like simple and fresh, local food. Not huge eaters...some meals will be a baguette and salami, cheese, tomatoes, and a bottle of wine...but we plan to be adventurous and try foods we've never had before...I've read that pumpkin ravioli is a specialty of the area -- sounds good to me! And dishes with sorrel sauce...

Ultralight
6-13-18, 6:01pm
Yppej:

Don't worry. I don't plan to travel on your dime again until 2019! But thanks in advance!

Yppej
6-13-18, 6:10pm
My summer vacation will be at relatives. Don't worry they invited us, we didn't invite ourselves. In fact they have been inviting us for years.

Ultralight
6-13-18, 6:14pm
In 2019 though, I am thinking of taking an 11 day cruise -- goes to Mexico, Jamaica, Belize, Honduras, Colombia, and a couple other island nations.

Teacher Terry
6-13-18, 7:02pm
We were supposed to leave on our 6 week trip today but both of us are sick. Leaving Friday now and had to change a few reservations so now just sleeping instead of sightseeing at our first 2 stops. We have to leave then because in one place people are flying in to see us.

Yppej
6-13-18, 7:22pm
In 2019 though, I am thinking of taking an 11 day cruise -- goes to Mexico, Jamaica, Belize, Honduras, Colombia, and a couple other island nations.

The topic is travel plans for this year, not next year.

Teacher Terry
6-13-18, 7:30pm
Next year is fine too. We already have a cruise booked for February leaving from New Orleans. Got such a great deal that we booked it last September.

Ultralight
6-13-18, 8:20pm
Next year is fine too. We already have a cruise booked for February leaving from New Orleans. Got such a great deal that we booked it last September.

Do tell...

Teacher Terry
6-13-18, 11:46pm
It is a Caribbean cruise.

Williamsmith
6-14-18, 9:43am
It is a Caribbean cruise.

When my son was planning his wedding last year, I got a call. “Dad, my fiancé wants to get married on a Caribbean Cruise.” He knew, I had a bad experience on the one and only cruise I ever went on. I sucked it up. We went out of Galveston, the cruise line planned every detail of the wedding. We had a beach wedding with a Mexican buffet, a Mexican official conducted the vows along with my brother in law who actually conducted my marriage ceremony 34 years earlier. The cruise line provided the photographer and transportation as well. There was little stress involved.....not like the traditional wedding days I’ve experienced. This I would highly recommend!

This year, we are going to bum around the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. I’m looking forward to it. And it is going to be a reasonable frugal travel itinerary.

And later in hot August, it will be a real challenge for me to spend five days in New York City. Broadway play/musical .... Billy Joel Concert at Madison Square Garden and a trip to Flushing Meadows to see the Mets/Giants play.

Teacher Terry
6-14-18, 12:46pm
That sounds like a great wedding! New York will be fun too.

frugal-one
6-14-18, 8:17pm
Planning on a 5 day trip to New York in September. November wii be national parks of Laos and Thailand to see wildlife! Also short trips to Minneapolis and MANY day trips. Life is good!

Teacher Terry
6-14-18, 8:31pm
Great trips!

Teacher Terry
6-14-18, 11:29pm
So I am well enough to drive and DH well enough to be a passenger . Super excited as this trip has been planned for 6 months and probably never repeated.

Yppej
6-17-18, 6:44pm
Michigan is the plan but these relatives have flaked on us before when it comes to travel plans. The Mid-Atlantic is a backup plan.

Yeah, they flaked. We were supposed to go to the UP from their house, but now my SIL agreed to work one day in the middle of the week so we don't have enough time. Keep in mind this trip has been planned with a save the date for over a year. This is always the case - everything is about her side of the family - literally months out of the year with them and hard to get a few days with the my brother's side of the family.

And my DB says just hang around his one horse town and I am a bad person to have a bucket list of places I want to check off, I should only want to visit people. I don't see why the two can't be combined.

My son says to let it go, just go with the flow for the 4 days in hicktown, and we will plan something more fun next year, and turn down their future invitations.

Teacher Terry
6-17-18, 7:25pm
Wow that is terrible. After 2 flakes I would probably never plan something with them again. You only get one vacation and I wouldn’t spend it being disappointed. I probably would be too mad to go to their house this year.

Yppej
6-17-18, 7:33pm
If it were just me I would not go but my son feels obligated and wants to go.

Teacher Terry
6-17-18, 7:37pm
That makes sense. I didn’t realize you guys were going together

IshbelRobertson
6-19-18, 9:59am
I am on the last day of our usual May holiday on a Greek island. This year, for various reasons we started the visit later. BIG MISTAKE. I have the most awful reaction to mosquito bites this year and now have various creams and high-dosage antibiotics. Did I mention I’m a typical fair skinned, redheaded Scot, who hates the heat? This year they have experienced temps well above the June norm. I can’t wait to get back to cold and rainy UK!

We were due to go to Australia nearer the end of the year, but have had to reschedule for March/Apri next year.

Our next break will be in late September, when we will be in Cornwall as usual,with a couple of nights in Plymouth on the way down and Exeter on the way back.

frugalone
6-19-18, 10:42am
Well, mine's over for the year. But I did have a lovely trip to England. I stayed five days in London and five in Lewes, East Sussex. Got to see Virginia Woolf's house.

Gardnr
6-19-18, 3:09pm
Yeah, they flaked. We were supposed to go to the UP from their house, but now my SIL agreed to work one day in the middle of the week so we don't have enough time. Keep in mind this trip has been planned with a save the date for over a year. This is always the case - everything is about her side of the family - literally months out of the year with them and hard to get a few days with the my brother's side of the family.

And my DB says just hang around his one horse town and I am a bad person to have a bucket list of places I want to check off, I should only want to visit people. I don't see why the two can't be combined.

My son says to let it go, just go with the flow for the 4 days in hicktown, and we will plan something more fun next year, and turn down their future invitations.

I would continue with the trip as planned. If they have to come home partway, so be it. Your life shouldn't revolve around someone who "bagged out" of the plans. That is super rude.

Teacher Terry
6-19-18, 10:43pm
In Texas now visiting friends and tomorrow a short drive to family. It has been 3 years since we took a driving vacation and having a great time.

messengerhot
6-19-18, 11:04pm
Anyway, mine is just traveling to our newly purchased farm. We go there for relaxation and bonding with the family.

Yppej
6-20-18, 7:33pm
I ran into a new word today - oblication, as in my vacation has now turned into an oblication.

happystuff
8-3-18, 7:58am
Just got back from 10 days in South Korea. AMAZING!!! It's the 2nd time I've been fortunate to visit and I love it. Food, people, sites, sounds, smells.... just a wonderful trip that I am grateful to have had the opportunity to make.

Yppej
8-3-18, 7:00pm
I am toying with Maine for Columbus Day weekend but am worried the traffic will be horrendous on a holiday.

Teacher Terry
8-3-18, 7:35pm
HS, sounds like you had a great time! I love to travel. YP, I have been to Maine once in the fall and it was beautiful.

iris lilies
8-4-18, 9:57am
Last fall we made a car trip to
Mew Mexico. This was my least favorite vacation in a long time. Our destination was Las Cruces and we stayed a few nights there. Sure, it was somewhat interesting to see how the town had expanded since I lived there 35 years ago, but over all, it reminded me why I came back to the Midwest. I Dislike like the desert.

I may go to Santa Fe some day, have been there a few times I know it is gorgeous and interesting, but I am flying. This business of 2-3 days of driving out west is just ugh. What a bore. And I wont return to Las Cruces having been there and done that.

On the theme of “I hate desert land” i had been thinking about planning a trip to Morroco, but now, thinking of the desert, I am not so sure. I am now gravitating to Latvia and Estonia, etc—that region of Europe. I love European architecture and had such a fabulous time in Romania that I want to continue to explore the smaller Central Europeon countries.

Lainey
8-4-18, 4:55pm
I had tentative plans for a late October trip, but we now have a family member in hospice who isn't expected to live beyond year-end. So we're holding off making any reservations until we see how things work out with them.

Simplemind
8-4-18, 11:11pm
We bought a pristine 2003 Minnie Winnie this past week. The universe handed us a deal we couldn't pass up. Hubby has been on cloud nine tinkering and learning about it. Can't wait to take some trips.

Teacher Terry
8-5-18, 12:21am
We get 9mg in our 27 ft motor home and RV sites are between 45/75/night. We found it cheaper to stay in budget motels with our car. Now if not traveling far from home it is the better deal. Shocked at how expensive RV sites are.

SteveinMN
8-5-18, 10:25am
Shocked at how expensive RV sites are.
Teacher Terry, why do you think that's so? I agree with the shock level (lots of places where an RV site would exist have motels priced at $70 per night or less). I'm just wondering if it's supply and demand or that parking at Walmart is free so there are fewer customers or that places like that often are on the short end of zoning ordinances and the like.

Teacher Terry
8-5-18, 12:04pm
Steve, I really don’t know. We bought it 11 years ago and things were cheaper. The places we have stayed had plenty of customers. Even the national parks were expensive. I just need to convince my husband to sell it. It is also much faster to take the car. On this last trip most of our motels were between 45-65/night. A few places we paid between 80-100. We were gone a month and with all the costs we spent 4K. We ate dinner out every night. The trip would have cost a lot more with the RV. We wanted to take it to the Oregon coast but had to rent for a month and the cost was between 1500-2500. They did not rent by the week during the summer and fall.

SteveinMN
8-5-18, 1:56pm
had to rent for a month and the cost was between 1500-2500. They did not rent by the week during the summer and fall.
That tells me that they have no problem keeping the place filled up with guests....

Teacher Terry
8-5-18, 2:19pm
Also if you are just going camping in a public campground they are cheap but don’t work for traveling as they are usually far from cities and also just dirt and we plus the dogs get so dirty. The ones in town have grass, cement or gravel.

Alan
8-5-18, 3:58pm
Also if you are just going camping in a public campground they are cheap but don’t work for traveling as they are usually far from cities and also just dirt and we plus the dogs get so dirty. The ones in town have grass, cement or gravel.Ahh that explains it. On our last 3 week trip to the west coast and back we spent much less than you, but in our travels we consider any campground rather than limit ourselves to the ritzy ones. The fanciest one we've ever stayed at was in California last year, it was in the same price range you mentioned but we can usually find a suitable site for half of the amounts you're spending.

Teacher Terry
8-5-18, 5:44pm
Because our dogs have hair instead of fur as soon as they walk in the dirt it sticks and then we pick them up and our dirty too. Plus we don’t want to me a long distance from what we are doing. So when we go camping just to hike etc no big deal to be dirty. Sightseeing not so much.

Tradd
8-6-18, 9:57am
I just got back from two days diving in Thunder Bay, northern Lake Huron, off Alpena, MI. The quality of the shipwrecks is amazing. We drove up the west side of Michigan from Chicago and then across to Alpena. Small town of 10K in town and 10K in township. Lots of camping, kayaking, hiking, fishing to do. Area is gorgeous. It’s spectacular in fall color season. About 8 hours from Chicago.

lmerullo
8-8-18, 12:50pm
In the planning stages of a fall motorcycle trip to the mountains - Tennessee and North Carolina. Friends want to go first week of October, we want to go about the 15th...

Alan
8-8-18, 1:02pm
In the planning stages of a fall motorcycle trip to the mountains - Tennessee and North Carolina. Friends want to go first week of October, we want to go about the 15th...Lots of good motorcycle riding in those areas. Try the Cherohala Skyway and the Tail Of The Dragon if you're in that neck of the woods, you won't regret it!

Teacher Terry
8-8-18, 2:48pm
That fall trip sounds fun!

dmc
8-8-18, 2:57pm
Our next trip will probably be Key West, then Savanna and Charleston. We go to Key West several times a year as it’s not that far and when we have guest it’s a fun place to take them. Savanna and Charleston is on our list of places to go for a weekend.

my wife enjoys the old houses and gardens, I tend to like museums.

lmerullo
8-8-18, 2:59pm
Actually, we've done the Dragon...this time looks like we will have the big Harleys, not the easier sport bikes so I don't think we'll do it... The Cherahola is beautiful!

Trying to plan for fun day trips from a central home base, which might be Gatlinburg. I much prefer Townsend, but this is a trip for others, not me. :)

Alan
8-8-18, 3:12pm
Actually, we've done the Dragon...this time looks like we will have the big Harleys, not the easier sport bikes so I don't think we'll do it... The Cherahola is beautiful!

Trying to plan for fun day trips from a central home base, which might be Gatlinburg. I much prefer Townsend, but this is a trip for others, not me. :)
The Dragon is easy enough to do on big bikes, you just need to take your time. I don't have any pics from the Dragon but these are from the Devils Staircase on Hwy 80 outside Asheville NC.

2410 2411

The Cherohala is indeed beautiful. The last time we were there my wife and I were cruising along and a bear ran across the road just ahead of us, stretching out in his run so that he looked like Superman flying across the road, and jumped over a guardrail into the woods. I stopped the bike at the point he went over, just seconds behind his leap, to see if we could get a better look but my wife rightly said "What if he comes back?" Needless to say we took off.

I agree with you about Gatlinburg, but as a base it's perfect for the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and it's not too far from Cherokee NC which is a great day trip.