PDA

View Full Version : Missouri 10,000 Gardens Challenge

Float On
5-17-11, 9:43am
This is really a great program, they are trying to register 10,000 gardens in MO and for every 1000 gardens they are drawing a winner for a $500 gift card. Its open to all kinds of gardeners - I listed mine under private: 'fruit, veggies, native, ornamental, for fun, food, and nature'. I could sure use another $500 to expand my raised beds! They have a map page too so you can see where all the public and private gardens are (by zipcode).

http://agrimissouri.com/gardens/

Last night was cold! I had to turn the heater on. My poor veggie gardens have really had to deal with too much already this spring - too much cold and too much water.

Amaranth
5-17-11, 12:41pm
Hope they draw your entry, Float On.

Other places I know of doing similar things are

Kentucky--Louisville area
http://www.15thousandfarmers.com
Goal is to register 15,000 food gardeners.
To get people started, they have a sample plan for a 4' by 4' Square Foot Garden designed to produce food for 3 seasons. Food items are usual favorites that are likely to be successful. If a lot of neighbors were doing the plan, it would be worth it to share seed packets for people to grow their own transplants for a number of the items.

Three season plan is under Getting Started on their website.
More could be planted/harvested in this design by using transplants for everything but the radishes. That would be more of an advanced beginner plan--probably better for 2nd year gardeners.

There is another plan from 2010 when they started this program in May for a 2 season garden. It is under Getting Started also and then click on
Download 4'x4' Easy Farm Overview and Instructions
to see the 2010 plan.

Maryland
http://www.growit.umd.edu/
Goal is to register 1 million food gardeners. Lots of good food growing info on their site, too.

Anyone know of others?

Jemima
5-17-11, 12:59pm
Hope they draw your entry, Float On.

Other places I know of doing similar things are

Kentucky--Louisville area
15thousandfarmers.com
Goal is to register 15,000 food gardeners.
To get people started, they have a sample plan for a 4' by 4' Square Foot Garden designed to produce food for 3 seasons. Food items are usual favorites that are likely to be successful. If a lot of neighbors were doing the plan, it would be worth it to share seed packets for people to grow their own transplants for a number of the items.

Maryland
http://www.growit.umd.edu/
Goal is to register 1 million food gardeners. Lots of good food growing info on their site, too.

Anyone know of others?

I'd love to have that 4' x 4' garden plan. Is there a link?

Amaranth
5-17-11, 1:17pm
Sure...updated post to indicate how to get to the link plus the link for the 2 season plan they used for 2010.

peggy
5-17-11, 2:27pm
Float on, you must live by/at the lake of the Ozarks near Osage. If so, you sure have gotten slammed this spring, but then I notice that corridor always gets the rain/hail/tornado warnings, etc...We live about 80 miles north of yall. I'll have to check out that 10,000 gardens thing.

Float On
5-17-11, 2:31pm
Peggy, I'm further south at TableRock Lake. We're pretty protected from the Tornado corridor just to our north but we had massive flooding from the 15" of rain in 3 days. The dam had to open all 10 floodgates again (2nd time in 3 years) and down river is still flooded. We went to Forsyth yesterday and the parks are still flooded below the Powersite spill over dam. Quite a mess. I grew up north of Columbia so I'm familiar with your area.

peggy
5-18-11, 9:06am
Oh Table Rock, beautiful area. I just saw your tag at the bottom of your post. Duh..:|(
I was visiting in the Poplar Bluff area during all that rain. I didn't think it would ever stop. All I could think of was that Ray Bradberry story about the rain planet and the mean little kids.

iris lily
5-18-11, 10:20am
I have gardens at 8 different legal addresses here in St. Louis. Should I register them all? ha ha

Float On
5-18-11, 4:16pm
Peggy, I'll have to ask my 14 year old if he has read that one - He loves RB!