PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh

Ultralight
8-8-18, 4:07pm
I am in Pittsburgh for the next few days for a conference. Any suggestions for things to do in the evenings? I am on foot in downtown.

nswef
8-8-18, 4:35pm
The incline up to Mt. Washington.

gimmethesimplelife
8-8-18, 7:43pm
I've heard many good things regarding Pittsburgh.....that it's Democrat, affordable housing to this day, an amazing good job market, and that people tend to be very real there - translation, I myself could fit in with such people. So I've heard, anyway. I do know property tax there will eat you alive though and definitely needs to be budgeted for and I do know that there have been cutbacks in service to both bus and light rail.

I was thinking of moving there at one point in my life and what stopped me was the fact that it's very far from Mexico and thus seems to be too risky for me in regards the ability to access affordable medical and dental by simply crossing a border. But to visit - make the most of it. I seem to remember there are a few great museums there and some very nice restored neighborhoods such as Shadyside. I second the incline - I think this is where you can get great aerial photos of downtown from? Enjoy! Rob

Yppej
8-8-18, 7:58pm
Rob I thought you would recommend protest events against the killing of Antwon Rose.

sbagirl
8-8-18, 8:06pm
I live here and work downtown. What kind of things are you interested in? Are you at the convention center? If you want some music or other culture, check the schedules for Heinz Hall, Byham Theater, The Benedum or the O'Reilly Theater. The Pirates are out of town this week.

Ultralight
8-8-18, 9:09pm
Rob I thought you would recommend protest events against the killing of Antwon Rose.

Who?

gimmethesimplelife
8-8-18, 9:15pm
Rob I thought you would recommend protest events against the killing of Antwon Rose.I did call and thank the Allegheny County's District Attorneys Office for filing charges against the officer involved. I don't however know how protests of this incident went down in Pittsburgh. This murder was most upsetting though and yes indeed along the lines of what I personally consider protest worthy. Rob

Ultralight
8-8-18, 9:25pm
Well, I am not going to have that much free time. And it sounds like there is some due process going on.
So the Antwon protest is a no-go for me. I am also not interested in protesting about that specific social issue or this specific case at this juncture.

Ultralight
8-8-18, 9:29pm
The Pirates are out of town this week. I know! Such a bummer!

Williamsmith
8-9-18, 1:52pm
I know! Such a bummer!

Its really too bad. It is the best venue MLB has to offer. My son worked there until he moved to Houston. I got in free and all the food I could eat. Now I have to go to MinuteMaid Park and that’s a real bummer.

Im sorry I couldn’t make time to meet you. I think I would have enjoyed it. I proposed to my wife almost 35 years ago at the top of the incline overlooking the city.

sbagirl
8-9-18, 3:32pm
Ultralight, did you find something to do or do you need more ideas? How long will you be here?

It might be tough to get to the inclines because of last weekend's train derailment at the T station closest to the inclines. I don't know the bus substitutions and it would be a bit of a hike.

Ultralight
8-11-18, 6:37pm
Unfortunately I did not get to do much of anything as my bosses and colleagues expected me to go to their silly-ass happy hours and such. I did get to walk down The Strip, try a Primanti Bros. sandwich, stroll by the river, and relax a little bit in a seemingly nice hotel room at The Westin.

Ultralight
8-11-18, 6:40pm
I also spent quite a bit of time with a former colleague. He used to work at OSU but then started working for a private corporation in Columbus. He went to the conference courtesy of his current employer.

But this dude LOOOOOOOVED Pittsburgh! He was like: "I really like it here. I am totally coming back for a couple long weekends!"

I could actually see him moving there.

And truth be told, I liked Pittsburgh too. It has a lot of character and charm.

sweetana3
8-11-18, 7:29pm
We are going to Pittsburgh in Sept. The group got access to PreWWI blast furnace that was saved. Had to sign a special liability waiver to see it.

sbagirl
8-11-18, 7:29pm
Well, it definitely has a lot of characters, anyway! Let me know the next time you'll be here. My DH will tell you all about the French & Indian War in mind-numbing detail and we can show you some interesting places.

iris lilies
8-12-18, 10:11am
We are going to Pittsburgh in Sept. The group got access to PreWWI blast furnace that was saved. Had to sign a special liability waiver to see it.
That is an interesting thing to choose to see,
I must say,

sweetana3
8-12-18, 12:31pm
Iris Lilies, Road Scholar always has very interesting and educational programs. No shopping for them.