PDA

View Full Version : Yoga videos

puglogic
1-4-11, 11:33am
I thought it would be a nifty thing to have a yoga video, so that on the coldest, ickiest days, I wouldn't have to venture out to the yoga place for a class.

When I went to look on Google, Amazon, and the library web sites, I found roughly a trillion yoga videos. I have no idea which ones are worth investing in though.

Does anyone have a yoga video they like? Just a general, gentle, beginner's progression through something like Hatha or Bikram or whatever?

Thanks

catherine
1-4-11, 11:47am
I'll tell you what I do.

I go onto YouTube where you can just search and get stuff for free, or you can join myyogaonline.com. It's a great site because they have tons of programs and resources. Only thing is, it's a subscription, so you'd have to pay $19.95 a month, or pay for the year for a slight discount. I love it, though, and I use it almost every day.

I like having a variety of routines to pick from as opposed to buying just one video/DVD.

Oh, also, if you have an iPad or iPhone there are yoga apps, too.

shadowmoss
1-4-11, 12:38pm
YogaToday.com has a free membership level that gives you a free weekly class. I used to (years ago) download their free daily classes, and they were ok. Now you have to pay for them.

ljevtich
1-4-11, 12:46pm
You might also try your library for checking out videos. You could learn the routine and then send back the video. I'm sure that the library would also have books with pictures to show you how to do a move.

While we were at my parents' house, they had a Wii with the exercise portion. It was fun to do the yoga there, as it would measure your balance. I got better and better at it, always pushing for higher scores (I like to play games) so it was perfect for me. Alas, we do not have a TV nor a Wii, so I can not do it now. But I bet a library would be a great place to find stuff like that. I might just do that for Tai Chi.

herbgeek
1-6-11, 3:09pm
I really like the one's that feature Rodney Yee or Patricia Walden, sold by Gaiam. They have great soothing yoga voices. In particular, I like the "am/pm yoga" series because its short enough to fit in even when I'm busy. I also like "am yoga for your week", as the sessions are 20 minutes long and each feature a different type of pose eg twists, hip openers, forward bends...

Kevin K.
1-6-11, 3:12pm
There are a zillion yoga videos/DVDs out there but very few that are safe, in-depth and embody the liberative spirit of yoga rather than just being a workout.

The best source for authentic practices I know of is
http://www.pranamaya.com

They are very careful in the teachers they present. For beginners you can't do better than Gary Kraftsow's two DVDs. Sarah Power's Insight Yoga is fantastic for more seasoned practitioners, and Paul Grilley's Anatomy and Yin Yoga DVDs are also great. Basically, you can't go wrong.

Aspen
1-8-11, 1:44pm
Check out Collage Video. They have a great web site for all types of exercise videos to buy, good reviews, and also show clips of each video. They also have great customer service.

simplelife2
1-9-11, 7:59pm
I second going to the library (or using Netflix if you have an account). That way, you can sample different styles, brands and instructors before buying. Anything put out by Gaiam or Yoga Journal is a good bet. My favorite instructors are Rodney Yee, Seane Corn, Shiva Rea and Baron Baptiste. There are a lot of newer DVDs that have yoga in the title but have little to do with real yoga, like one by Jillian Michaels (but it really makes you sweat.) I just think it depends on your style and mood.

nswef
1-9-11, 8:03pm
I also like Rodney Yee. Remember that you don't have to do it perfectly. I've also gotten some good trials for the library. My very favorite yoga tapes are Lilias but alas they are not to be found. I dread the day my VHS tapes wear out. Our Comcast On Demand has some interesting tapes to try as well. I've used Netflix too.

puglogic
1-9-11, 10:30pm
Thank you everyone! Great advice. I really appreciate you.