PDA

View Full Version : September Frugals!

rosarugosa
9-8-18, 3:01pm
Another slow start this month and I certainly haven't been impressively frugal. I do have some small things though. I was dumping a bouquet of hydrangeas I had cut from my garden that were finally looking pretty sad. One of the stems had roots on it, so I planted it. Who knows, I might get a free hydrangea bush out of the deal and if not, the effort was minimal so certainly worth a shot.
I found a dollar bill on our walk this morning.
Our town had their annual Founders' Day celebration today. I bought 3 bouquets from the Garden Club booth for a grand total of $6.00, which was quite a bargain and helped raise funds for the Garden Club.
I did a Pinecone survey yesterday and earned $3.00.

Yppej
9-8-18, 4:34pm
My son is mad at me, so I have been going places with non-dependents and splitting the cost vs paying for everything. I would prefer we get along but have been down this road with hin before - pull away to exert independence, then come back. These are low cost day trips and help me from feeling deprived from just working all the time, and will stop when the cold comes since I am a weather wimp.

Accepted a small settlement in a lawsuit that has dragged on for almost 10 years. It will all go to attorney expenses, but I will avoid future out of pocket costs going to trial and with repeated lost motions I feel the case is a goner. The lawyers were unhappy as they have rejected nunerous offers to settle always hoping for more in legal fees. They have other plaintiffs still with them who they can try to get their big bucks from.

Got a $15 movie gift card that should turn into another low cost excursion when there is something out that I want to see.

Gardnr
9-8-18, 4:38pm
11 quarts of ratatouille in the freezer.

13 pints of salsa canned.

Very little of the contents were purchased....90% came from our garden:~) more to come!

shadowmoss
9-8-18, 6:16pm
I'm eating out of my pantry and enjoying it. I just took some Naan out of the freezer that I got at the day-old bread outlet a few weeks ago. It is awesome. I'll go back one day next week and get more if they have it again. I'm hanging out here more again to work my cash flow as low as possible. I'm tracking expense again starting this month. My entertainment is knitting the thrift shop yarn I bought a year ago or so. I'll get my bicycle out of storage later today when the temperature drops some and clean it up and use it to get more exercise, using something I already own. I have to get back on track with money.

happystuff
9-9-18, 8:54am
11 quarts of ratatouille in the freezer.

13 pints of salsa canned.

Very little of the contents were purchased....90% came from our garden:~) more to come!

Nice job! Congrats!

happystuff
9-9-18, 8:55am
Just started eating down the pantry and so far, so good. Trying to eat more beans as I have a ton of dried ones. Also started a new donation box in the corner that is already almost full!

early morning
9-9-18, 12:02pm
Today is the first cool day we've had since early spring, and it's lovely. WET, but lovely. I skipped a family reunion today, saving both the food I was going to take AND the gas for a three hour round trip drive. I saw everyone in the exact same venue two days ago for a family funeral, so I don't feel too badly about it. Going to blow that savings and maybe a little bit more on an anniversary lunch today for DH and myself - 41 years tomorrow, but I will be at work all day, and don't like to go back out on a week night. One of my weekly luncheon meeting work groups is on hiatus, so that helps a little. I'm looking for an expense tracking program I will actually use - I really need to get back to tracking spending- this summer has thrown us into a money-pit, for sure. Need to get out of that ASAP!

Yppej
9-9-18, 4:10pm
Have not gotten my monthly pedicure. If it is hot beyond this week I may break down, but if it's post-sandal weather I will not.

rosarugosa
9-9-18, 5:36pm
Happy Anniversary, early morning!
Yppej: I do my own toes and did them a few days ago, so I guess maybe that counts as a frugal.

Teacher Terry
9-9-18, 6:35pm
I only do my toes professionally when I am going on a cruise.

Gardnr
9-9-18, 7:10pm
Another 11 quarts of ratatouille made from the garden and onions/garlic/peppers from our CSA last week. https://www.salon.com/2010/08/07/ratatouille_weapons_grade_style/

Cool tonight and into the freezer tomorrow minus what is dinner tonight.

catherine
9-9-18, 7:24pm
Ratatouille! I love it.

I tried to get away without having to buy a nightstand for DH's cpap, but it kept falling on his head from the shelf above the bed, so we went to the town thrift shop and bought a beautiful nightstand for $25.

Also bought 2 gallons of paint to paint over the gawdawful magenta in the bedroom: $5/gallon. It was marked way down because it had been returned to the store after it was mixed. It's very dark--Valspar "Schooner" but for $5 a gallon, I'll make sure I just decorate around it with a lot of white!

razz
9-9-18, 7:27pm
Struggling with budgeting.

I needed some clothes for my trip to Japan and wanted capris as they seem to be acceptable everywhere. I found two pairs that fit like a dream for $15 (formerly $40 each) and a washable blouse for $10 (formerly $30). I can roll up these clothes and 3 other simple washable tops along with 4 changes of undies, 2 pair light walking shoes, a Totes umbrella, a rain jacket and toiletries in my carryon luggage. That makes it easy and light to carry and travel.

My dog was licking a spot on his body triggering bleeding. The vet's office tried a bandage but it slid off. i bought an x-small stretchy tank top for $3 that fits beautifully by sliding over this head and placing his feet through the arm holes.. He is comfortable and no longer licking.

I cleaned up some veggies by chopping them - zucchini, onion, peppers, green beans, garlic - place in a Corning dish, drizzle with Greek dressing and microwave for 6 minutes. I take out 1 1/2 cups and sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top. Easy supper and nothing gets wasted

early morning
9-10-18, 5:44pm
Ate lunch out yesterday AND today for our anniversary, used gift cards I'd about forgotten about for both, so other than gas, no added expense. Signed up for the "every dollar" budgeting site and their free trial download of my accounts. I don't know if I want to pay to continue with that but at least the initial input of lots of small charges is free, so I might actually keep up with it now! good score on the capris and shirt, razz! Japan sounds like fun!

Teacher Terry
9-10-18, 9:18pm
Booked a cruise for 8 days and 500 each. Airfare r.t. Only 350 each. Great deal!

Yppej
9-11-18, 7:47pm
I am still getting some produce from my and my parents' gardens. I have not bought any clothes this fall. A lot of the styles are the same or similar enough to last year's I should not look too dated.

SteveinMN
9-14-18, 9:59am
September is half-over and I haven't posted here yet. :(

In preparation for painting some window frames outside, I did an inventory of the paint cans in our basement. Found a few containing paint that's been covered up in this house for years. Found one gallon (!) of a color neither my wife nor I ever remember contemplating though the mix date on the label clearly indicates it was tinted last year. That last wasn't frugal, but I did find the remainder of the gallon used to paint the window frames a couple of years ago, and it's still in good condition, so at least I don't have to try to match the white or go to the store before I tackle that task.

Got some rebate checks from Menard's which will be applied to further purchases there, as soon as today. Replaced a ceiling fan in my rental property by myself; that saved some $$ over hiring a handyperson.

Spent about two hours yesterday replacing light switches on my car (both were failing intermittently). One switch took the promised five minutes to replace. The other took almost two hours, with about one-and-a-half hours of that spent getting the old switch out of the dashboard. >:( The new switch was "adapted" to prevent that WOT if I ever have to replace it. I'm not sure a mechanic would have been able to get it out faster (maybe could have accessed the extra needed tools faster) so I guess at least I didn't have to pay his hourly labor rate (OTOH "book rate" might have served me on this one).

That's about it...

Yppej
9-14-18, 5:21pm
Brought in my basil as it was starting to pass peak and am drying it.

Removed the gel polush on my toes myself.