PDA

View Full Version : Buying furniture online?

frugalone
9-16-18, 2:27pm
Has anyone here ever bought furniture (specifically, upholstered pieces) from Overstock or Wayfair? I almost fell off my chair when my super fussy sibling said she had bought on Ottoman on one of those sites. If so, what was your experience? Was it well made? Any issues (i.e. need to return)? Complaints? Happy with it?

Teacher Terry
9-16-18, 2:30pm
Bought both a Mattress for our guest bedroom and living room chair on overstock. The chair was too high to be my everyday chair but I also needed a guest chair so used it for that. I did go chair shopping in person for the one I sit in everyday.

iris lilies
9-16-18, 2:44pm
My neighbor buys tons of furniture from Wayside. She loves their customer service. One set of furniture wouldn't fit through the door and so they returned it and bought a second set and somehow, that second set was nearly free.

Just last night she was relating a tale of another large furniture purchase. As it happens, the delivery did not take place as scheduled and she didn't get satisfaction as to why, but will be pursuing that tomorrow, a business day.

But she still is very positive about Wayside, she said they deleted a charge she had signed up for, a charge to assemble the sofa. She now has someone to do that.

I find the furniture she buys to be passable. I am not real real picky, but
I will say that none of it looks expensive but it is pretty typical of furniture you find in places like Ashley furniture.

frugalone
9-16-18, 2:53pm
We had an Ashley Furniture here but a freak tornado destroyed it this past June. I was never in there. Not sure if they are rebuilding. Some of the businesses affected are not coming back.

jp1
9-16-18, 4:12pm
We've bought furniture online, but not from those particular sites. We got a lovely dining room table from CB2 and patio furniture direct from a company that specializes in that. I like the patio furniture, but the annoying part was that it only got delivered to our building's front door and we then had to remove it from the boxes and carry it up two flights of stairs.

Simplemind
9-16-18, 6:41pm
I have purchased from Overstock (two chairs with matching ottomans) Wayfair (end tables) Birch (bookcase) and Amazon (bar stools, carpets and a million other items). All items were great quality for the price, shipped on time and arrived with no damage.

Teacher Terry
9-16-18, 7:05pm
I also bought my couch in person because it has to be comfortable. We went to practically every furniture store but only buy one every 10-14 years.

rosarugosa
9-16-18, 7:52pm
I need to sit on furniture before I buy it (assuming it's the kind of furniture one sits on, of course). DH is 6' and I am 5'2", so it can be a Goldilocks type of challenge to find something comfortable for us both. I'm pretty much an Ethan Allen/Thomasville kind of person, which at least partially explains why I don't have more money in the bank, I'm sure.

pinkytoe
9-16-18, 11:17pm
We don't have many furniture store options here so I have started buying a few things from different vendors online that I don't want to buy used - a rug and an upholstered chair from Wayfair. Both were just fine. They list all the various measurements of a chair so you can tell depth of seat, height etc. And I think returns are free but that is something to check on with any online furniture order. My only bad experience was a rug I ordered from Amazon - ordered square and they sent round so had to buy a cardboard tube and some plastic to send the darn thing back.

ApatheticNoMore
9-17-18, 12:53am
I loved that my loveseat was not only sold locally, but made locally. How cool is that (though I ended up waiting weeks for it because when you have furniture literally made for you ...).

rosarugosa
9-17-18, 6:58am
I loved that my loveseat was not only sold locally, but made locally. How cool is that (though I ended up waiting weeks for it because when you have furniture literally made for you ...).

That is very cool indeed.

Float On
9-17-18, 1:07pm
I haven't been happy with any of my sofas other than the one I had made at a North Carolina furniture factory. I still miss that sofa and I've had 3 since then. Currently we've only got chairs in the living room since I can't find one I like. Definitely not going to order one on-line as picky as I seem to be.

catherine
9-18-18, 6:24pm
I gifted my son an inexpensive love seat and a small dining set that I ordered from Overstock and he loves them. It was a Sealy couch and I carefully read reviews.

frugalone
9-19-18, 1:05pm
Thanks, everyone!
I have not bought upholstered furniture since...um...the late '90s? I went to the La-Z-Boy store and got a sofa for $200 in a tent sale, plus a matching recliner. Everything else came from the Salvation Army. I recall making lots and lots of visits to Raymour & Flanagan, etc., and sitting on the furniture reading a book, just to make sure it was going to meet my needs.

Gardenarian
9-21-18, 1:28pm
We only have used furniture stores locally, and that plus Craigslist meets most of my needs.
I did buy an upholstered storage ottoman/bench from Amazon because I needed something of a particular size. It was inexpensive and works fine, but the fabric is poor quality (it feels rough and thin.) Eh, it was around $50.

Teacher Terry
9-21-18, 1:36pm
I used to buy used furniture in rich neighborhoods because it would be in excellent condition. Then my kids got bed bugs and had to throw everything away. They tried many other things but nothing really worked. Now I only buy new.

Gardenarian
9-23-18, 5:17am
Bed bugs terrify me. They seem rare here, thank goodness.

bicyclist
11-9-18, 3:32pm
I ordered a couple of end tables from Wayfair which proved easy to assemble and sturdy. I am going to look for someone local to make cushions I need for a sectional sofa. A lot of people have the skills to make textiles so why not create work for them? Dave (Bicyclist)

pinkytoe
11-9-18, 5:23pm
I just bought a mattress (bed in a box) and platform bed frame for the guest bedroom. Tried to find used or some cheaper option but was running out of time before guests started coming. Will see how it turns out. When we bought our own mattress/box springs a year or so ago, we purchased from a local mattress store. In retrospect, it was kind of a rip-off - no special customer service and they charged $75 for delivery and the mattress was probably over-priced. I can see why online furniture purchasing is gaining traction. Most everything under a certain price point is made in China either way.

bae
11-9-18, 5:31pm
I just got a great sofa, chair, and pair of ottomans online, delivered *here* free, and within just several days, from

https://www.gjemeni.com/

I have had them about a week now, and am very pleased. I was looking for sort of an Atomic Age/George Jetson's/Mid-Century look for the remodel of my tv/movie room, and these turned out great. Decent quality for the money, delivered promptly, and no fuss.

herbgeek
11-9-18, 7:06pm
I've bought several things on line, but not from those companies. Way back in the beginning of the internet age, I found a company that made custom sofas. I have an odd shaped living room, with a woodstove in a diagonal corner (so 2 short walls) and a wall with cutouts to the hallway. While we had a sofa for the long wall, we needed a shorter option on the other side of the room, so I got a 52" loveseat in a fabric I chose. I bought a leather sofa from Ikea, but I had visited a store to see what it felt like. We bought our dining room table and chairs on line, that was the scary one as that was a lot of money. All have been great- no issues.