PDA

View Full Version : WalMart Savings Catcher Changes

Williamsmith
9-21-18, 4:30am
Back before I took over most of the domestic chores including shopping, my wife routinely purchased grocery items from WalMart. She insisted I open a WalMart account so that I could manually type in receipt numbers for the saving catcher feature. That was working well as WalMart would compare prices locally and credit any overpay to our account. We usually could save $50-$100 a year and use it at our discretion.

Then they forced us to use it just before the holiday season to pad their sales record. Okay, not thrilled but still it scratched the frugality itch.

I slowly weaned the family off WalMart by shopping local grocery stores and using coupons. Still there are times it just makes sense to get things there. So the savings catcher feature was still active albeit not significant at all.

Now WalMart is forcing all customers to use the WalMart Pay app which means you need a smartphone linked to the app with your payment options of credit or debit cards. If you use cash or a credit card not linked to their app then you cannot use the savings catcher.

Im just wondering what is driving this and how is Walmart going to make money on this....will thye save money on credit card transaction through their app instead of ha doing cash or independent credit card transactions?

Got this Email:

At Walmart, we’re committed to making your shopping experience using the Walmart app quicker and more convenient.

That’s why, on October 29, 2018, our Terms of Use for Savings Catcher will be changing, and Walmart Pay will be the exclusive way to submit your receipt to Savings Catcher. This will allow you to both submit and spend your Savings Catcher rewards within the same Walmart Pay experience. Due to this change, the ability to scan paper receipts within the app or submit via desktop will be discontinued.

How Savings Catcher Will Work

Rather than scanning paper receipts using the Savings Catcher scanner after paying, you’ll simply create an eReceipt using the Walmart Pay scanner when paying. Here’s how:

Enroll in Walmart Pay (http://emlclk.walmart.com/track/?jwt=eNqckF9rgzAUxb-LDz7NmsR_sSCb82kw2rE62JukMW3DEg0mrbix777EdaN7GlQIe M895_LjfHj6uPWWnmZdS5TybjwzKWYFKjh9s6MkXPBuz1urgRw BiIP7sg5eqzqoXjbBhpzsVlfE0AMbnsi07sTUoCBAQa8MFY1Lu Jw9xeZb7tBWEt13d-99L3ln2NAxs7DPeo6aDbMlzlIcJ1HqEPr2KNisQgRTAK1meU1j uHSoMImyOAdZkmCA7Y4SqQjfd8210I71O4yzHUF4l0U5ZduM5S yHOaYMYZSkBO4y61R7Olvn0Lm8-rlcbcqqflivyke3ODncH5vWwnHZv4G1fGDU2PFgjNLLMBzHcTE SIclgFrSXIVXheQwUmcIIgSTPo1vS8raACbj4YhSlAKSp_9tN8 acZ_8QOBZPCv-inuKId33VT_NeM731-AQAA__8._P3Dk502CVmSlDheiY2TBSZFxbvFLXTKiQP2eNc9Yn 4)
Use Walmart Pay at checkout to create an eReceipt for submission. This can be done by:

Opening Walmart Pay and selecting which credit, debit, or gift card you’d like to use.
Using Walmart Pay to scan the QR code at the register to generate your eReceipt.

Tap "Submit Receipt" directly from your Walmart Pay confirmation page or from your Savings Catcher dashboard on the Walmart app

Benefits of using Walmart Pay

See why fellow Savings Catcher customers are already using Walmart Pay:

One touch submissions: Submit your eReceipt before even leaving the store
Save time and space: Never worry about leaving your wallet or purse at home by turning your phone into your secure mobile wallet
Store your purchase history: Find your past purchases in your Purchase History, easily reorder your essentials, or start a Mobile Express Return—all in the app!
Print eReceipts for cash back apps: Select a purchase from your Purchase History, share and print from your phone or email yourself your eReceipt

Enroll in Walmart Pay today (http://emlclk.walmart.com/track/?jwt=eNqckF9rgzAUxb-LDz7NGuO_pCCb82kw2rE62Juk8bYNMxo0rbix777EdaN7GlQIe M895_LjfDjDcessnQHaminl3Dh6UmAE3gj-ZkbJRCPavaiNhihGAfHu89J7LUqveNl4G3Yy26Fgmh-gf2LTum2mCnse9jqleVPZhM2ZUzDfsoe2kg1de_fedVK0GvoW9 MI84zkO0M-WKE1IFIeJRejqYwOzGuAgQYHRDK-utJAWNYjDNKIojWOCiNlxJhUT-7a6FtqyfodJumOY7NKQctimQIEGlHDABMcJC3apcao9n61z6Fx e-ZyvNnlRPqxX-aNdnCzuj20YGstl_nqoRQ9cm_GgtRqWvj-O42JkjWS9XvBO-lz559FTbPJDjGJKw1tWizoLYnTxRThMEEqo-9tN9qcZ9wSHDGTjXvSTXdGOa7vJ_mvGdT6_AAAA__8.2rgx9b8 woSBQAPKbfA0pSl4bXKauvSZj0Xc3atPzvUA)on the Walmart app and discover easier, faster shopping.

Have questions? Please feel free to reach us at 1.800.WALMART.

Sincerely,

Your Walmart Savings Catcher Team

bae
9-21-18, 4:42am
I have no idea what this means. I pay my local merchants in cash or silver Eagles or boxes of .380ACP or 9mm ammo. Or sometimes salmon or preserves or eggs.

Williamsmith
9-21-18, 5:05am
I have no idea what this means. I pay my local merchants in cash or silver Eagles or boxes of .380ACP or 9mm ammo. Or sometimes salmon or preserves or eggs.

.380 ACP is like shooting spitwads. Wouldn’t think you could get much in trade for them. Now bourbon, cigarettes, batteries and coffee.....that’s real purchasing power!

Yppej
9-21-18, 5:15am
Shaw's Supermarkets put restrictions on shoppers. You could only get sale prices if you used their card, only write a check if you used their card as ID, etc. It backfired as they lost business and they reversed course. A cashier there told my mom how happy she was to no longer have to put customers through the rigamarole.

I wonder if this change will last at Walmart. Already in my area most people shop elsewhere for groceries. Market Basket, PriceRite, Price Chopper and Aldi's are cheaper and Hannaford, Shaw's, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Big Y are higher end.

I feel sorry for areas of the country that do not have a choice.

I pay cash.

sweetana3
9-21-18, 6:06am
When they make the games so complex to get a few pennies savings, I ignore them. We use the Meijers savings program but they make it easy and occasionally they will mail us coupons that included bananas and carrots. Kroger's program is still fun for my hubby.

Basically, I only sign up for an affinity program to get the sale items that are based on having a "card".

I am a shopper that will not go in a Walmart unless my motherinlaw needs to pick up her RXs.

early morning
9-21-18, 6:33am
I am a shopper that will not go in a Walmart unless my motherinlaw needs to pick up her RXs.
Same here. I use a credit card with cash-back for most all purchases. Here, Aldi is far cheaper than Walmart, and I'm happy with the quality. Supplemented with the occasional trip to Trader Joe's and Jungle Jim's (which is half entertainment, half food shopping...) and a few ethnic markets, we are good to go without big box groceries and their special "deal" programs. . .

catherine
9-21-18, 7:10am
I certainly have used loyalty cards for store savings in my favorite supermarket in NJ. Yppej, funny you mention Shaw's, because that's the supermarket I go to up here in VT--the first time I went I asked about their savings program and if I should sign up before I check out to get the sale price and I was surprised when they said no, I didn't have to. Surprised and happy. I still haven't signed up for it. I can't be bothered tracking points and different stores' systems of rewarding you for shopping with them.

I like bae's way of shopping. As Dave Ramsey would say, no one ever got rich from their card rewards.

happystuff
9-21-18, 7:25am
I like my Shoprite card. I just get it scanned at the checkout and any savings are automatically applied. I really don't have to do anything.

JaneV2.0
9-21-18, 8:49am
I have a couple of loyalty cards (neither one has my name or address attached to it) but I like my local Grocery Outlet, which is considerably cheaper than either Safeway or Kroger's. So I go there first, then buy what I can't get elsewhere.

Teacher Terry
9-21-18, 10:47am
Winco here is cheaper and better quality.

JaneV2.0
9-21-18, 10:53am
Winco here is cheaper and better quality.

Winco would be a nice alternative, but there isn't one close enough yet. I haven't had any quality issues with Grocery Outlet, and--like thrift stores--you can find unexpected treasures there.

rosarugosa
9-21-18, 6:29pm
I think Market Basket is absolutely the best deal around my neck of the woods, and they don't do loyalty cards or any special games or hoops, which gives them a few more brownie points in my book.
However, I don't mind having a couple of those mini loyalty cards in my wallet. We are currently staying in an area where Big Y dominates, and when we go in to pick up some things, I'm happy to get their loyalty discounts.

Teacher Terry
9-21-18, 7:30pm
Winco doesn’t take CC’s and is cheaper everyday versus gimmicks.

sweetana3
9-21-18, 8:16pm
I am pretty sure I would not shop anywhere that did not take credit cards. It is how we pay for 95% of all our purchases and really our only checks are to individuals or for charity donations. Worth it to me to not have to carry more than about $20 in cash or any checks.

Teacher Terry
9-22-18, 12:10pm
Winco finally takes debit cards. It’s one of the ways they keep their costs so low. They are a employee owned company. Even when we had to write checks it was worth it. They do a lot of business. Busy all the time.

JaneV2.0
9-22-18, 12:53pm
Winco also has a nice medium-roast coconut flavored coffee, which is hard to find elsewhere.