PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Oregon

NWcruiser
9-24-18, 5:48pm
I am excited to have found this group as I begin my struggle as how to live a minimalist lifestyle. Having moved numerous times over the years, I never fully came to terms with how much stuff I have accumulated. In the past week I found myself relocating again and the overwhelming amount of stuff is out of control.
My motivation is the amount of clutter I have seemed to generate which fills not only my living space, but my life in general. About 8 years ago I lived in a studio apartment and life was incredibly simple and manageable with how little stuff I kept on hand.
I can't wait to learn how others move forward with this lifestyle change. I do realize it is about far more than getting rid of things. My biggest internal struggle will be with downsizing the amount of camo, fishing, hunting gear, kitchen appliances and cutlery/flatware. Curious what limitations others place on items in their life for duplicates. As I have started unpacking, I realize my kitchen appliances along with hunting/fishing gear are the root of my clutter. For me the challenge is letting go of my emotional connection to the items I have. Looking forward to learning how others manage this process.

rosarugosa
9-24-18, 7:24pm
Welcome, NWcruiser. Happy to have you join us on the Forum!

catherine
9-24-18, 8:49pm
Yes, welcome! Looking forward to hearing about your progress in minimalism!

Ultralight
9-24-18, 8:55pm
I am excited to have found this group as I begin my struggle as how to live a minimalist lifestyle. Having moved numerous times over the years, I never fully came to terms with how much stuff I have accumulated. In the past week I found myself relocating again and the overwhelming amount of stuff is out of control.
My motivation is the amount of clutter I have seemed to generate which fills not only my living space, but my life in general. About 8 years ago I lived in a studio apartment and life was incredibly simple and manageable with how little stuff I kept on hand.
I can't wait to learn how others move forward with this lifestyle change. I do realize it is about far more than getting rid of things. My biggest internal struggle will be with downsizing the amount of camo, fishing, hunting gear, kitchen appliances and cutlery/flatware. Curious what limitations others place on items in their life for duplicates. As I have started unpacking, I realize my kitchen appliances along with hunting/fishing gear are the root of my clutter. For me the challenge is letting go of my emotional connection to the items I have. Looking forward to learning how others manage this process.

I am an angler as well and I have very, very little gear. But I still catch a ton of fish. I am sure we can workshop ideas!

Teacher Terry
9-24-18, 9:37pm
Welcome to the forum!

Simplemind
9-24-18, 9:41pm
Hello from another Oregonian!

SteveinMN
9-25-18, 8:53am
Hello and welcome! De-cluttering -- and how to avoid the clutter in the first place -- is a frequent topic here. I'm sure you'll get some great ideas and be able to offer some new perspectives as well.

Teacher Terry
9-25-18, 10:47am
I love to visit Oregon. So beautiful. We have done a ton of decluttering and so really think about purchases before buying now. We spend more of our money now on experiences versus things.

gimmethesimplelife
9-25-18, 7:50pm
Welcome from someone who spent five years living in close in SE Portland - back in the early to mid 90's when it was actually affordable to live there. Rob

Gardenarian
9-26-18, 1:16pm
Hi NWC, I'm in the wonderful (tho' sometimes smokey) Rogue Valley.

I don't know much about hunting & fishing gear, but there are lots of posts here about de-stuffing your stuff.

There seem to be 2 main schools of thought:
The 3 Box Method: one box for stuff you'll keep, one for things to go to trash, and a third for items to sell or donate. I like to have a 4th box, the "undecided" box. I find this is mostly sentimental stuff, and after putting it away and not looking at it for 6 months or so, I'm then usually able to toss most of it and keep just a few things.

The Marie Kondo method (from the book The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up) : with this method you handle every item you own and feel if it "Sparks joy" inside you. It's time consuming but effective. I highly recommend the book (from your local library :)

Welcome!

NWcruiser
9-26-18, 2:44pm
Hi NWC, I'm in the wonderful (tho' sometimes smokey) Rogue Valley.

I don't know much about hunting & fishing gear, but there are lots of posts here about de-stuffing your stuff.

There seem to be 2 main schools of thought:
The 3 Box Method: one box for stuff you'll keep, one for things to go to trash, and a third for items to sell or donate. I like to have a 4th box, the "undecided" box. I find this is mostly sentimental stuff, and after putting it away and not looking at it for 6 months or so, I'm then usually able to toss most of it and keep just a few things.

The Marie Kondo method (from the book The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up) : with this method you handle every item you own and feel if it "Sparks joy" inside you. It's time consuming but effective. I highly recommend the book (from your local library :)

Welcome!

I will definitely check the book and I hope it is on Audible. I like the idea of the 3/4 box method to sort the excess out.

Hello from another Oregonian!

Glad more than one is here. I can't believe how expensive this state has become in comparison to the wages.

razz
9-26-18, 3:02pm
:welcome: from Southwestern Ontario. One rule that really has worked for me is the take one out before I bring one item in. That way, the volume doesn't increase any more.