PDA

View Full Version : In search of the perfect chicken salad

puglogic
5-19-11, 1:19pm
I'm not the biggest fan of chicken salad or at least I wasn't until last week. I had this amazing little number with dried cranberries, grapes, a little curry...I'm not sure what else. But holy cow, it was good.

I have to confess I've never actually made my own chicken salad, and the mountain of different recipes on the web is intimidating. I'm not even sure where to start experimenting. Anybody have a favorite chicken salad recipe they'd care to share?

Float On
5-19-11, 1:36pm
I make it a little different each time but I always shread or cube my own chicken and I love adding cranberries, apples, pecans or almonds, grapes, celery.....etc. Spice - sometimes curry, sometimes dill, sometimes garlic. Always a little dry mustard and your basic mayo/sourcream to hold it all together. I think by the time mine is done there is much more 'salad' than 'chicken' to it. I'm actually planning to make some this weekend and since pineapples are on sale it will be pineapple chicken salad served in halved pineapples. I'll add a little jamacian spice to that.

Rosemary
5-19-11, 2:19pm
I also make mine differently each time, depending on what's on hand - but I love the additions of some sort of fruit (apple, grapes, dried cranberries, mango), some minced dill pickles, and celery. Other veggies used depending on what's on hand. Last week I made one with finely sliced spinach leaves - that was really good, and very colorful as well.

In place of mayo I've used a simple olive oil - rice vinegar dressing and also pureed white beans with the addition of some rice vinegar and herbs/spices.

puglogic
5-19-11, 2:58pm
Mmmmm.

So when you use mayo/sour cream, to gauge, is it basically just enough to distribute the spices and coat it all with a little creaminess? That's my assumption. I've seen some that are half yogurt/half light mayo and that sounds good too...

Amaranth
5-19-11, 4:27pm
The quality of the mayo can really affect the salad. Hellmans or Dukes is good if you like it full flavored. Miracle Whip is good if you like it tangier.

I like a light proportion of mayo in the salad. Others like to eat mayo with a little chicken thrown in.:laff: Try on the light side to start and add more to get it like you like it. Some ingredients tend to absorb the mayo, so adding just a bit more before serving can make it tastier.

Some tasty combinations with chicken and mayo:
Cranberries, walnuts, and celery
Chopped apple with peel, almonds or walnuts, celery
Curry, grapes
Curry, raisins, sauteed onions
Diced cucumber, finely grated carrots

There are also some asian inspired non mayo ones that are good.
They tend to have a asian flavored vinagrette and include
salad mix,
Baked, Roasted, or Asian marinated chicken
Red onions
Cucumbers
Carrots
Oranges or mandarin oranges
Almonds
Crispy fried pasta pieces

Gregg
5-20-11, 3:59pm
I'm not the biggest fan of chicken salad or at least I wasn't until last week. I had this amazing little number with dried cranberries, grapes, a little curry...I'm not sure what else. But holy cow, it was good.

Sounds VERY similar to one we make that is as easy as it gets and ALWAYS draws rave reviews.

1 Roast Chicken (from the grocery store is fine), boned & chopped into small cubes
11/2 C chopped celery
1 can water chestnuts, chopped
2 C red grapes, quartered
4 oz. slivered almonds, toasted

Dressing:

1 C mayo
1 T soy sauce
2 T lemon juice
2 t curry powder
3 T hot mango chutney
salt & pepper to taste

Just throw all the chopped goods in a bowl, mix the dressing in another and combine them. Like most chicken salad it's better if you do it the day before. Serve on bread, buns, lettuce leaves or however you like.

daisy
5-21-11, 11:04am
I've never found the perfect recipe, either, but here is a curried chicken salad recipe I quite like.

Curried Chicken Salad in Lettuce Cups
from Good Deal with Dave Lieberman

Ingredients:
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 quartered lemon
1/2 Bunch fresh cilantro
to taste salt and pepper
1/4 Cup mayonnaise
1 Teaspoon curry powder
1 Teaspoon honey
1 Teaspoon lemon juice
3 thinly sliced scallions
2 thinly sliced celery stalks
3/4 Cup halved red grapes
1 head, separated butter or iceberg lettuce

Directions:
Put the chicken thighs, lemon, cilantro (leaves and stems) into a skillet or saucepan. Fill with water just to cover the chicken and season generously with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to maintain a very gentle simmer. Cook until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.

Remove the chicken from the poaching liquid and allow to cool. When cool, shred or chop the meat.

In a bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, curry, honey, and lemon juice. Stir in the scallions, celery, and grapes until combined. Add the cooled chicken meat and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Serve heaping portions of the salad in butter lettuce leaves.

Amaranth
5-21-11, 11:36am
Daisy, that looks delicious. I wanted to also suggest adding some diced potatoes and then some chopped spinach to the poaching liquid after removing the chicken and making a nice soup out of it. I'd cook the potatoes for 5-7 minutes, add the spinach and cook for 10 more.