PDA

View Full Version : Seattle new-ish-bie and introduction

Gizmo
5-19-11, 6:54pm
Hey, all. I was on the old forum as Gizmo. Wasn't able to post for a while since I moved, and ending up with a 3 hour commute. That contract ended, now I've got a much more reasonable commute, and have time to post again! I didn't even realize the forum had moved!

Anyway, end of last summer I ended up leaving a job I hated. I moved in with my boyfriend - into what turned out to be a he##-hole apartment, and got a contract job that was AWESOME but had a killer commute. Now I'm on another contract job, that I HATE (again!), but its close enough I can bike to work.

My BF and I found a NICE rental house right around the corner from our awful apartment, for the same price. Unfort, the two moves so close together, plus the downpayment and stuff on our new place almost has our emergency fund wiped out.

I'd like to get back into budgeting and simple living now that I have time again, and build our emergency fund back up!

Hello again!

Mrs-M
5-19-11, 7:30pm
Hi Gizmo! Yes, I do remember you from the old forum. Looking forward to seeing more of you. P.S. Hoping you can settle in and get comfy while getting ahead.

redfox
5-19-11, 10:11pm
Where in Seattle are you? Perhaps we can meet for coffee - I live in the south end, work by SU.

lhamo
5-20-11, 7:26am
I was wondering the other day what had happened after your move -- sorry to hear about the apartment from h*** and the long commute and new sucky contract, but at least you now have a nice place to move into and a job to help you rebuild your emergency fund! Hope things just keep getting better and better. It would be great to have a Seattle-area SLN get-together sometime -- we'll be back for a couple of weeks in August to visit family, maybe all the Seattle-area folk can arrange to meet up somewhere for coffee or a picnic or something.

lhamo

Sad Eyed Lady
5-20-11, 11:15am
Welcome back!

Gizmo
5-20-11, 11:19am
I live by Beacon hill, and currently work downtown in the convention center plaza.

Gizmo
5-20-11, 11:22am
I was wondering the other day what had happened after your move -- sorry to hear about the apartment from h*** and the long commute and new sucky contract, but at least you now have a nice place to move into and a job to help you rebuild your emergency fund! Hope things just keep getting better and better. It would be great to have a Seattle-area SLN get-together sometime -- we'll be back for a couple of weeks in August to visit family, maybe all the Seattle-area folk can arrange to meet up somewhere for coffee or a picnic or something.

lhamo

Yeah, the move was a disaster... we put our stuff in a van-share, and were just going to drive with the kitties. Well, my car broke down - so we had to rent a truck to tow the car up to Seattle. While transfering stuff from the car to the truck, my BF broke his wrist.

Then when we got here, the apartment we'd picked out was fine for about 3 months... till a meth dealer moved into the complex. Then we were still stuck in the lease for 3 more months (luckily had only signed a 6 month). It got so bad the people above us just broke their lease to move out the same weekend we did.

But yes, things are looking much better now. :D

treehugger
5-20-11, 11:57am
Welcome to our new online home. I love Seattle and some day hope to move there.

Kara

lhamo
5-20-11, 6:45pm
I love Beacon Hill! When we first got married my DH and I lived in a little studio just behind the VA building. We could walk down to the ID for cheap Asian groceries and yummy food.

If you like spicy food, try the little Sichuan place in the shopping plaza at the NW corner of 12th and S. Jackson. About as close as you can get to the real thing in Seattle. We used to go there all the time when we were in grad school. Not sure if they still have them, but you used to be able to get big bags of dumplings to take home and keep in the freezer -- great meal in a pinch.

Enjoy exploring the neighborhood. The ID is a great place to food shop and experiment with different tastes!

lhamo

Gizmo
5-23-11, 1:12pm
I love Beacon Hill! When we first got married my DH and I lived in a little studio just behind the VA building. We could walk down to the ID for cheap Asian groceries and yummy food.

If you like spicy food, try the little Sichuan place in the shopping plaza at the NW corner of 12th and S. Jackson. About as close as you can get to the real thing in Seattle. We used to go there all the time when we were in grad school. Not sure if they still have them, but you used to be able to get big bags of dumplings to take home and keep in the freezer -- great meal in a pinch.

Enjoy exploring the neighborhood. The ID is a great place to food shop and experiment with different tastes!

lhamo

We're on the other end of Beacon Hill, close to MLK and the light rail. But I bike through the ID on the way home from work, so one day I'll have to stop and try that place out. I already love the ID - when my friend flew up from SLC a few weeks ago we spent an entire day walking around the ID going to little shops and visiting the Museum of Mystery.