PDA

View Full Version : Man cold!

Ultralight
10-14-18, 7:47pm
I have a "man cold" from the bowels of hell. I am worried I am going to have to call in sick tomorrow. I am trying to save up six weeks of sick days in case of some real, major health issue. :sick:

catherine
10-14-18, 7:59pm
Sending you some virtual homemade chicken soup, UL.

Ultralight
10-14-18, 8:01pm
Sending you some virtual homemade chicken soup, UL.

Thanks! Been a miserable weekend.

catherine
10-14-18, 8:04pm
Thanks! Been a miserable weekend.

I get it. DS34 and I also have a crummy cold. I'm starting to feel like you're a 4th son. Be well.

Lainey
10-15-18, 9:43am
Ugh. I've suffered many respiratory infections and it always seems to be something you can't shortcut, just have to get through it.
Think of it as the universe telling you to take some time off and rest.

and a question: doesn't your employer offer short-term disability? If you did have a major health issue it seems like that would apply and you shouldn't have to worry about hoarding your normal sick time?

Ultralight
10-15-18, 9:53am
Yeah, this cold has broken my will. I broke down and get some Thera-flu.

I am also drinking chicken broth.

This is day three and it feels like the cold is winning this fight.

Tammy
10-15-18, 9:56am
Stay home - don’t infect others.

Ultralight
10-15-18, 10:08am
Stay home - don’t infect others.
I called off sick.

ApatheticNoMore
10-15-18, 10:30am
If you ever have a real issue: look into family and medical leave, the medical leave part applies to you. It's unpaid, but you are legally entitled, save up money to live off if you had to take it if you can (you can save up 6 days pay that you would have of sick leave - of that I'm sure, you could try for 12 weeks). There's too many people the law doesn't apply to for various reasons, and I'm sure some employers are shady and break the law, but it entirely applies to you and a government agency isn't going to be breaking labor law you'd think.

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/benefits-leave/fmla

and thank you for not infecting people

There is government disability, short term employer disability yea i don't know a lot of employers don't offer that. But government disability is endlessly complex and I wouldn't look into unless out say months with illness, but the unpaid leave really is easily yours.

Ultralight
10-15-18, 10:50am
There is government disability, short term employer disability yea i don't know a lot of employers don't offer that. But government disability is endlessly complex and I wouldn't look into unless out say months with illness, but the unpaid leave really is easily yours.

You mean FMLA unpaid leave? I don't think that applies to me. I am a single man.

ApatheticNoMore
10-15-18, 11:01am
You mean FMLA unpaid leave? I don't think that applies to me. I am a single man.

I linked to the law, ok I'm not a lawyer but neither does this seem legalese:

"to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition."

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/benefits-leave/fmla

Miss Cellaneous
10-15-18, 11:09am

It is the Family and Medical Leave Act. It applies to any employee who might have a serious illness that prevents them from working, as well as employees who need to take time off to care for a family member.

Float On
10-15-18, 1:41pm
Ugh. Sorry. My son went from Allergies to Man Cold and back to Allergies. He missed 2 days of work and blamed the man-cold part on a co-worker who worked while sick so thank you for taking a day off. Makes me thankful I work alone most of the time. We're having a cold snap so I hope that ends the allergy season but it's sure to bring on more colds.

Geila
10-15-18, 2:30pm
So what's the difference between a cold and a Man cold?*

I've found Musinex tablets to be the most effective when dealing with a cold. Dh and I just had it last week.

*UA - you're a bit of a drama queen, aren't you? :)

Ultralight
10-15-18, 2:38pm
So what's the difference between a cold and a Man cold?*

I've found Musinex tablets to be the most effective when dealing with a cold. Dh and I just had it last week.

According to Harvard Medical School: "...early man evolved to require more prolonged rest while sick to conserve energy and avoid predators."

Because of female privilege, women recover quicker from colds and experience the symptoms less harshly.

Teacher Terry
10-15-18, 6:32pm
A man cold is one in which the woman takes care of the man when he is being a big baby about being sick:)). Then the woman gets sick and still takes care of everyone.

Ultralight
10-15-18, 6:39pm
A man cold is one in which the woman takes care of the man when he is being a big baby about being sick:)). Then the woman gets sick and still takes care of everyone.

The man cold is backed by research. We men suffer more when we get colds or flu.

Teacher Terry
10-15-18, 6:41pm
Poor babies :D

KayLR
10-15-18, 6:55pm

Uh, no---it's a thing.

Eat Zicam, UA.

JaneV2.0
10-15-18, 7:13pm
The man cold is backed by research. We men suffer more when we get colds or flu.

How is "suffering more" quantified? By self-reporting? I don't buy it.

Ultralight
10-15-18, 7:30pm
How is "suffering more" quantified? By self-reporting? I don't buy it.
The great dismisser of evidence and research is now asking for evidence and research?

Tammy
10-15-18, 7:58pm
I call BS.

Ultralight
10-15-18, 8:01pm
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-care-news/articles/2017-12-12/man-flu-may-be-real-study-shows

He found a man's immune system may be naturally weaker than a woman's, and with some illnesses, especially respiratory diseases, men are more susceptible to complications than women. This is because of hormonal differences in the genders. The masculine hormone testosterone suppresses the immune system, while the feminine hormone estradiol is immunoprotective.

JaneV2.0
10-15-18, 8:26pm
So you have complications of some kind? Maybe you should check into a hospital.

Ultralight
10-15-18, 8:41pm
So you have complications of some kind? Maybe you should check into a hospital.

No need to get salty. Why not be graceful and say something like "point taken, point understood."?

Teacher Terry
10-15-18, 9:09pm
The article is hardly definitive and said many scientists dispute it.

jp1
10-15-18, 10:37pm
Eat Zicam, UA.

While I agree that zinc lozenges are a good way to shorten colds it sounds like UA is a little late this time around and probably just has to suck it up and get through this. But next time...

Ultralight
10-16-18, 7:32am
The article is hardly definitive and said many scientists dispute it.

Stop trying to invalidate my experience! ;)

Tammy
10-16-18, 9:03am
Hmmm ...

once a month women have this bleeding thing going on ... with cramps and a propensity toward migraines.

Now and then women push babies out of their bodies.

Talking about a man cold makes me laugh.

catherine
10-16-18, 9:41am
Hmmm ...

once a month women have this bleeding thing going on ... with cramps and a propensity toward migraines.

Now, man-pregnancy would be a whole different experience that I would love to see.

JaneV2.0
10-16-18, 9:52am
There are undoubtedly differences in individual immune systems, and some of them may be gender-specific--like upregulated responses in women that result in disproportionate autoimmune disorders--but its as likely that the culprit is the individual's gut microbes. Most of the immune system resides in the gut.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-03-gut-bacteria-essential-healthy-immune.html

ApatheticNoMore
10-16-18, 10:34am
Hmmm ...

i though he just meant he had a cold pretty much and maybe the man stuff was another lament about having a cold and a woman not being around. I fully expect an argument now how women don't "deserve" sick time. They aren't really sick afterall. Probably just using it for "mental health" days. Oh wait ... they do tend toward lower serotonin so it could be an actual mental health day, still probably "mental health": aka not enough weekend days. Or could be weird womanly problems, but not real sickness.

When I did take "mental health" although I claimed sickness, it was sometimes because I didn't sleep all night (insomnia). I wouldn't have been productive needless to say.

CathyA
10-16-18, 12:38pm
Gosh. All this 'cause UL has a big cold? Next time UL, start taking lots of Vit C and zinc as soon as you have symptoms. Sorry you're feeling bad. Still not too late to take those 2 things. My kids feel that EmergenC helps alot. I'd get some for you and bring you home-made chicken soup, if I lived closer. Get well soon!

Tammy
10-16-18, 11:20pm
You know we all love you UL! 😘

Teacher Terry
10-17-18, 12:20am
You big man baby :~)

Ultralight
10-17-18, 6:58am
I think... I might survive... maybe...

CathyA
10-18-18, 3:21pm
Did you have much of a fever? Do you think it was the flu?

Ultralight
10-18-18, 5:06pm
No fever that I know of. Maybe it was a flu. I dunno.

I am slowly recovering from the man cold though. It was miserable.

CathyA
10-18-18, 5:20pm
I'm glad you're feeling better. Sometimes a virus doesn't cause a fever......but it's just as uncomfortable.

catherine
10-24-18, 11:59am
One of my old high school friends who seems to really like puns posted this on FB. Relevant to the topic :)

Tybee
10-26-18, 8:09am
One of my old high school friends who seems to really like puns posted this on FB. Relevant to the topic :)

I don't know why, but Bro-chitis and He-bola really struck me as funny.

LDAHL
10-26-18, 3:54pm
I don't know why, but Bro-chitis and He-bola really struck me as funny.

All the best humor has a thread of cruelty running through it.