PDA

View Full Version : Another huge blow to the horse world

boss mare
5-20-11, 1:42am
Well between the ecomony and the rising price of fuel, the horse industry was handed another bomb... A virus called EHV-1 . Horse shows and other horse related events all of the US have been cancelled Alot of stables nation-wide have been on voluntary lock down including my own trainer.. no horses allowed in and none are allowed out. One veternary teaching hospital (WSU) is not accepting any horses what so ever.
This orginated at a cutting horse show in Utah and there are affected cases all over the US including a few in my state
Here is a link to some information : http://drtanis.com/?p=223 I hope the link works

I may just take up stamp collecting

iris lily
5-20-11, 8:26am
I had no idea. I'm sorry to hear about this disease.

peggy
5-20-11, 9:45am
This is awful! The article didn't say but once they have it, are they then immune? I hope your horses stay safe.

Float On
5-20-11, 9:57am
NPR covered this on Wed or Thurs. Really sad news.

Poco Pelo
5-20-11, 2:16pm
It's just temporary to keep the sick from infecting the others, until they can confirm and isolate the problem. rrrrr Ten days was mentioned as the expected period of time... Just enough time for people to remember how much burros mean to the world

pony mom
5-20-11, 9:24pm
Keeping a barn in quarantine or lockdown is pretty tough. So many people coming on and off the property-vets, farriers, hay delivery trucks, dentists, etc... Disinfecting shoes in bleach, washing hands, even changing clothes helps, but there aren't any guarantees.

If I remember correctly, a few years ago there was a well-known dressage barn in my area that had 3 horses contract it. One was euthanized; one, the trainer's main show horse, recovered but had to be retired. The third, from what I heard at the time, was seriously brain-damaged and got loose and ran into a tree and was killed. I'm pretty sure they had EHV-1.

I agree with you, Boss Mare. Why oh why do we keep these fragile creatures? My horse is 26 and I'm thrilled he's still with me and healthy but I've so many gray hairs from worrying all the time.