PDA

View Full Version : Baby bottle warmers.

Mrs-M
5-20-11, 4:37pm
I can't believe how much the (baby needs) market has evolved and changed over the past 10- 20 years. Baby bottle warmers were unheard of when I was growing up, at least I never seen one in my day.

My mom would fill a pot of water and place it on the stove, set the bottle down inside the water, then gently warm for a few minutes and check afterwards by allowing a few drops of the warmed milk to make contact with her inner wrist.

I used that method with my first two (mostly), then progressed to using a Rubbermaid/Tupperware container filled with the hottest available tap water, which I then sat the bottle down inside of and let warm for a handful of minutes. Worked great. Microwave warming scared me so I didn't do it.

How about you? What warming method did you practice in your home?

bagelgirl
5-21-11, 6:32pm
My last baby was 35 years ago, and I honestly can't remember. But funny you should bring this up. Yesterday I was at my son's house with his wife and newborn. Their microwave had broken and they couldn't afford to replace it at this moment. She was warming the bottles in a pan of hot water on the stove, but afraid the glass would break she would hold the bottle in the water and not let it touch the pan. Time consuming and inefficient, and she is, of course, extremely sleep deprived. She came to her senses yesterday and sent hubby out to buy a bottle warmer.

Zoebird
5-21-11, 7:13pm
I think my parents used the water-in-a-pot method.

maribeth
5-22-11, 10:50am
To thaw frozen breastmilk, we boiled water in the electric kettle, sat the bag in a large mug, poured the boiling water in, and let sit until warmish. We were specifically told not to microwave it.

Mrs-M
5-22-11, 7:15pm
Hi Bagelgirl. Sure is nice to read about all the moms once again using glass bottles. (Remember the pale pastel-coloured plastic ones popular in the 70's/80's)? By the way, extending a warm congratulations your way on being a grandma!

Zoebird. I think it was the only way back then, but I don't remember my mom holding/supporting the bottle to avoid contact with the pot... Hmmm, going to ask her about that.

Maribeth. Great tip! Yeah, I second the microwave concerns.

Zoebird
5-22-11, 7:26pm
i think plastic bottles might melt onto the bottom of the pan, so had to be held over, but glass bottles would conduct, so no problems there.

and yeah, never microwave breastmilk. apparently it makes it indigestable.

Mrs-M
5-22-11, 9:16pm
You know, until you mentioned it Zoebird, I never gave any thought to warming plastic bottles for feedings. With plastic, I'd warm the milk first then pour in. Plastic bottles were good for when my kids got more active and were on the move (inside and out), and as beach and park going bottles (cold juice/milk), otherwise glass was the staple in our home.