PDA

View Full Version : personlized lanyards or keychains

Zoe Girl
11-15-18, 1:50pm
For the holidays I wanted to get all my kids, in law kids, etc. a personalized, embroidered keychain or lanyard. One child has an extremely unique name, one super common, and the other a reasonably common name that we never find her spelling.I thought it would be a nice simple gift, and not always easy to find. I can't seem to find it now. Should be simple,

Honestly web searches were easier 12 years ago when I was attending grad school online. Now there is so much junk that searches are a pain in the rear.

razz
11-15-18, 6:03pm
For myself, I don't think that I would use something which announces my name to the world. That is just me but I raise it to see how others feel before you spend the money. I know that work offices and staff used lanyards but the names are very small in print. Where I volunteer at a school, I wear a lanyard with my name in small print and visible from one side only. The lettering about the role is on the reverse in large letters so distracts attention.

Please don't see this post as being unkind but a caution.

early morning
11-15-18, 8:12pm
I agree with razz, I don't like things with names. invites too much familiarity. i don't even like name tags at a conference... if I want someone to know my name, I'll tell it to them. But I'm weird about things like that, I know. I like the lanyard idea though. Can you personalize it by your kids' interests instead of by name? (mine says "remove before flight". DD's says Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Ok, so that's not actually an INTEREST.....but it does suit her!) :|(

catherine
11-15-18, 8:16pm
Hmm... I'll disagree about the name thing. One thing about personalized gifts is it suggests the giver gave the gift some thought. I gave my DILs personalized Moleskine notebooks last Christmas--I thought it was a good idea.. I never thought about any downsides.

early morning
11-15-18, 8:28pm
Well, sure, but you don't WEAR Moleskines, lol.

Zoe Girl
11-15-18, 9:09pm
For the record my kids have expressed an interest in these. They talk about how nice it would be to have something with their name on it. I think the keychains may be better than a lanyard but still something that is personalized.

Until that hurricane that started with a K we never saw anything with my sister's name on it (one street in a small town in Iowa).

iris lilies
11-15-18, 11:32pm
What is the lanyard for?

Tybee
11-16-18, 6:28am
Amazon has personalized embroidered ones for 9.95 a piece. That's not too bad.
I like your idea of a theme gift, where everyone gets a variation on a theme. One year I gave out seven copies of YMOYL!

Zoe Girl
11-16-18, 7:26am
I found embroidered keychains! I can pick color and thread color. I think I like them better than lanyards. My kids put their keys on lanyards actually instead of wearing them at work.

One year I gave everyone an emergency siracha container that goes on a keychain. Then they would never be lost without their sauce! My son actually uses his for camping.

catherine
11-16-18, 7:41am
One year I gave everyone an emergency siracha container that goes on a keychain. Then they would never be lost without their sauce! My son actually uses his for camping.

That's funny! My son is a hot sauce lover. He'd probably love that gift!

catherine
11-16-18, 7:46am
I like your idea of a theme gift, where everyone gets a variation on a theme. One year I gave out seven copies of YMOYL!

One year I gave the family monthly calendars with photos that I had put together and had printed through Snapfish. It was one of my most successful presents ever. And Snapfish makes it SO EASY!!! I designed the calendar on December 23, sent it to print at Walgreens and it was ready in 2 hours!

It was such a hit that the year my GS #1 was born, I made my son/DIL one for their family photos. My DIL loved it so much she asked me to get one printed for her mother, and after I gave her another one last Christmas she started sending me photos this year via text with no comments on them, silently meaning "Save this for next year's calendar."

Now that Son #2 has a baby, I'm going to continue the tradition for. him.

Zoe Girl
11-16-18, 7:56am
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=sriracha+bottle+keychain&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=229162390539&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7893593833519708148&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028777&hvtargid=kwd-295650847639&ref=pd_sl_7ahyiel16q_b_p38

Here is every siracha gift on Amazon!

catherine
11-16-18, 7:58am
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=sriracha+bottle+keychain&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=229162390539&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7893593833519708148&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028777&hvtargid=kwd-295650847639&ref=pd_sl_7ahyiel16q_b_p38

Here is every siracha gift on Amazon!

Thank you! I'm definitely getting one!

Tybee
11-16-18, 8:26am
Catherine, I love the calendar idea. I wonder if I can do it just at Walmart or Sam's with chosen pictures--I don't know how to use Snapfish. I bet they have a calendar function on the kiosk. I wanted to get a calendar for my parents in the nursing home, and this would be fantastic. I could put our dogs on as some of the 'grandchildren."
I think everybody, young and old, would like this one.

Not a siracha user or lover, but I do know some who are. Hmm.

catherine
11-16-18, 8:32am
Catherine, I love the calendar idea. I wonder if I can do it just at Walmart or Sam's with chosen pictures--I don't know how to use Snapfish. I bet they have a calendar function on the kiosk. I wanted to get a calendar for my parents in the nursing home, and this would be fantastic. I could put our dogs on as some of the 'grandchildren."

Try Snapfish. And you upload it to Walmart or Walgreen and probably a lot of other retail stores. It's really very easy. Believe me, if I can do a calendar in a panic in 4 hours and then pick it up in 2, it's easy. I wouldn't want to stand at a kiosk for ages designing the calendar--I'd rather do it in my own home.

https://www.snapfish.com/photo-gift/calendars

razz
11-16-18, 8:35am
My younger daughter makes me a calendar every year including her favourites photos of the year and I really love it and look forward to seeing what is included. There is a story to every photo.

She emails the photos after setting it up online from home and then goes and picks up the end product. May I suggest doing just one copy at first to see the result and then choose to repeat or modify as needed.

Tybee
11-16-18, 8:45am
Ooh, good idea about trying one first. Okay, Catherine, I will try to learn the Snapfish thing, because you are right--this is a project that will require lots of coffee.

iris lilies
11-16-18, 9:54am
I found embroidered keychains! I can pick color and thread color. I think I like them better than lanyards. My kids put their keys on lanyards actually instead of wearing them at work.

well, I do that too, but I am the only person I know who does that. It is so handy because half the time I don’t have pockets.

catherine
11-16-18, 10:07am
well, I do that too, but I am the only person I know who does that. It is so handy because half the time I don’t have pockets.

do you really need to keep Sriracha on your person at all times? Or are you talking about lanyard keychains?

iris lilies
11-16-18, 12:14pm
do you really need to keep Sriracha on your person at all times? Or are you talking about lanyard keychains?
Haha, the lanyard.

But I experience anxiety when our kitchens are empty of Sambal Oelek by Huy Fong foods. Same idea, same manufacturer, not sure of the difference between Samnal Oelek and Sriracha. Must always have this product and onions and garlic in the kitchen.

JaneV2.0
11-16-18, 12:43pm
Haha, the lanyard.

But I experience anxiety when our kitchens are empty of Sambal Oelek by Huy Fong foods. Same idea, same manufacturer, not sure of the difference between Samnal Oelek and Sriracha. Must always have this product and onions and garlic in the kitchen.

Samba Oelek is less processed--whole chili seeds--and doesn't have sugar. I buy both varieties of it (regular and garlic) practically by the case. We used to go to a vegan/Buddhist? restaurant in Seattle (Bamboo Garden) that mentioned on its menu that they didn't use onions or garlic (too stimulating?), but the food was excellent anyway (who would have thought?), especially the corn chowder.

catherine
11-16-18, 1:03pm
Haha, the lanyard.

I feel that way about HP Sauce. So hard to find in the supermarkets!! My son had to order from Amazon.

Zoe Girl
11-16-18, 1:38pm
Samba Oelek is less processed--whole chili seeds--and doesn't have sugar. I buy both varieties of it (regular and garlic) practically by the case. We used to go to a vegan/Buddhist? restaurant in Seattle (Bamboo Garden) that mentioned on its menu that they didn't use onions or garlic (too stimulating?), but the food was excellent anyway (who would have thought?), especially the corn chowder.

I think that some ayurvedic diet rules avoid onion and garlic.

iris lilies
11-17-18, 10:28am

We usually hsve 4 jars of thee stuff, two open jars at each house and two backups, unopened.

I have not found this in the grocery stores of Hermann, so that is a downside of this small German-heritage town.

Tybee
11-17-18, 11:01am
We live in a Scandinavian heritage town and it is awesome, if you like smoked fish (I do) Swedish pancakes, and lingonberries. These are treated as affordable staples in the grocery store, rather than delicacies.

JaneV2.0
11-17-18, 11:23am
We usually hsve 4 jars of thee stuff, two open jars at each house and two backups, unopened.

I have not found this in the grocery stores of Hermann, so that is a downside of this small German-heritage town.

I wonder if they could order a case for you...
One of the perks of living in a cosmopolitan city is having lots of stores catering to "exotic" tastes.

iris lilies
11-17-18, 12:11pm
From lanyards ——————————->Lingonberries, such is the meandering discourse of our simple lives here.:~)

Tybee
11-17-18, 12:23pm
I actually do like lanyards, too, Zoe, and gave my mom one as a gift one time because she was getting forgetful. I got myself one, too, and it was nice to be able to hang keys around neck sometimes. I got us both pen knives and whistles for them for extra utility, and tiny flashlight. Nice for getting into house in dark.

Lingonberries are equally useful, but you have to start with pancakes.

iris lilies
11-17-18, 12:35pm
I actually do like lanyards, too, Zoe, and gave my mom one as a gift one time because she was getting forgetful. I got myself one, too, and it was nice to be able to hang keys around neck sometimes. I got us both pen knives and whistles for them for extra utility, and tiny flashlight. Nice for getting into house in dark.

Lingonberries are equally useful, but you have to start with pancakes.

But if you pile too many items on that lanyard it is bulky and not practical for every day use.

I have four keys on mine and by this time next year it will be two keys, A house key and a car key. We keyed both Hermann House and City house to the same key pattern. When we unload our tiny houses, that will eliminate two more keys.

Zoe Girl
11-17-18, 12:43pm
I am actually looking for a better work lanyard. I want something with a serious geek cred. I love Firefly the most, looked on ThinkGeek but no luck. Making a commitment to a lanyard is a big deal!! I just need it for my badge and keycard. It is nice for my keys however, for those times I have no pockets.

No opinion on lingonberries. Not sure if they are on the approved list of foods for my sensitivity and I don't like to test out new foods.

Tammy
11-17-18, 2:37pm
Iris lilies - I too experience joy when we sell something and keys can come off my key ring. 😄

Zoe Girl
11-17-18, 6:28pm
I went to storage to get out my checks from my safe. I put all my jewelry and button collection in my safe (I don't have a lot of things that need to be in a safe). So I remembered I had a really nice beaded lanyard I bought but couldn't wear. At my last job we wore the district lanyards as identification so I couldn't really wear that one.

Anyway I am super happy with my pretty lanyard that is not too long!