PDA

View Full Version : Microwave popcorn popper?

CathyA
11-17-18, 10:10am
DD wants one. None of them look great. The silicone one looks sort of good, but I don't like the idea of silicone. Anyone have a glass one? Do you have to use butter in the top? I've read that you can't use oil in the bottom.
I think a pot on the stove works just as well.........
Thanks.

razz
11-17-18, 10:38am
I have used this https://www.walmart.com/ip/NordicWare-Microwave-Corn-Popper/17429916 one for years and both my kids love the one that I gave them. No oil needed just add 1/3 cup popping corn and touch the microwave 'popcorn' button and wait till it stops. You can add butter, flavourings afterwards in the bowl and serve. Simple, easy to use and clean.

JaneV2.0
11-17-18, 10:54am
DD wants one. None of them look great. The silicone one looks sort of good, but I don't like the idea of silicone. Anyone have a glass one? Do you have to use butter in the top? I've read that you can't use oil in the bottom.
I think a pot on the stove works just as well.........
Thanks.

A paper bag?

I wouldn't worry too much about silicone--she's probably not eating enough popcorn for any theoretical downside to develop.

But I'm not much help--after much trial and error, I settled on the Poppery I, circa 1970-something--a hot air model.

Tybee
11-17-18, 10:59am
These are cute. I did not know such things existed. my family is very anti-microwave, so I rarely have one around. I would probably enjoy one where you put the butter in and I like the linked Nordicware one where you can eat it out of the bowl.

JaneV2.0
11-17-18, 11:17am
Here's a glass model, 3 qt. https://smile.amazon.com/Ecolution-Micro-Pop-Microwave-Popcorn-Popper/dp/B019CXRMI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542471264&sr=8-1&keywords=evolution+glass+popcorn+popper

CathyA
11-17-18, 12:02pm
Thanks Jane, but the bad reviews of it were a little too high in number.
I have a whirlypop, which works really nice, but it's sort of a pain to clean first (since I have so little storage space, it's on an open shelf).
So I've gone back to just using a pain.....which works great.
I considered telling her about a paper bag, until I read about them catching on fire.

Thanks Razz.Is there any concern about the plastic and high heating?

I'm getting hungry for popcorn. :)

JaneV2.0
11-17-18, 12:12pm
I've killed two Whirlypops, a hand-cranked stovetop model, and at least one modern air-popper--all within a few uses. The Poppery is a workhorse, and has a convenient on/off switch.

razz
11-17-18, 12:30pm
Thanks Jane, but the bad reviews of it were a little too high in number.
I have a whirlypop, which works really nice, but it's sort of a pain to clean first (since I have so little storage space, it's on an open shelf).
So I've gone back to just using a pain.....which works great.
I considered telling her about a paper bag, until I read about them catching on fire.

Thanks Razz.Is there any concern about the plastic and high heating?

I'm getting hungry for popcorn. :)

None of which I am aware.

happystuff
11-18-18, 8:22am
I have a West Bend "Air Crazy" hot air popper. It does the job. Plastic on top gets a bit hot after use, but not a problem for me. Also has an on/off switch.

herbgeek
11-18-18, 10:14am
I have the one quart personal popcorn maker from http://catamountglass.com/ Uses no oil for the popping, although you can optionally add butter by putting a lump of butter on the concave silicone lid and it drips in as the corn pops. One less step.

CathyA
11-18-18, 10:17am
Thanks everyone. I think I've decided.

Gardenarian
11-19-18, 2:02pm
I have a round glass popper with a silicon lid for the microwave.
It seems to cook very unevenly, with lots of unpopped kernels and some burnt. I'm giving it away.
My favorite way to cook popcorn is just on the stove, and keep that pot shaking. I use avocado oil.

JaneV2.0
11-19-18, 3:23pm
Avocado oil is a good overall fat, with a high smoking point.

CathyA
11-19-18, 3:28pm
I ended up ordering a Salbree silicone popper. It had good reviews, and it appears as though silicone is not a problem, and DD didn't care, so that's done.
Me, I just use a pan on the stove.
Now on to which popcorn might I give with it? There's an Amish Country variety pack that looks good.
I was thinking of getting their "hull-less" stuff for me. I buy stuff for DH to give to me and visa versa. haha
He hands me unopened underware, etc., and I wrap it and give it to him. hahaha

Truth be told........I'd like it to suddenly be January. :)

beckyliz
11-19-18, 5:15pm
I have used this https://www.walmart.com/ip/NordicWare-Microwave-Corn-Popper/17429916 one for years and both my kids love the one that I gave them. No oil needed just add 1/3 cup popping corn and touch the microwave 'popcorn' button and wait till it stops. You can add butter, flavourings afterwards in the bowl and serve. Simple, easy to use and clean.

This is the one I have. The lid is getting a bit wonky, but it still works. I put a Tb or so of coconut oil in it - MW for 45 seconds. Put in the popcorn (1/2 a cup?), then MW for 2:45. I use Boy Scout popping corn and get good results.

I saw one yesterday from Pampered Chef (a friend is having an on-line party as a fundraiser). It looked nice, but it's $25. https://www.pamperedchef.com/shop/Cookware/Microwave+Cookware/Microwave+Popcorn+Maker/1457?gclid=Cj0KCQiA28nfBRCDARIsANc5BFD8Ds6h0IaSZkx OymXvsr160owkG3UMIg09IaBLmFrgUTgaSXk8VjAaAiyrEALw_ wcB

Greg44
11-28-18, 8:50pm
We have used just the brown lunch bags - add 1/4 cup corn, loosely fold and microwave. Simple as that! Then add butter, seasonings, etc after it is finished.

Tammy
11-28-18, 9:24pm
Gregg - I had no idea that would work. That’s my new plan. It sounds much healthier. And cheaper.

CathyA
11-29-18, 9:12am
I've read you have to be very careful, or the bag can catch fire. ??

Greg44
11-29-18, 2:03pm
Like all microwave popcorn it needs to be watched - but it is safe. Search - popping corn in brown bag in microwave for lots of good tips.