PDA

View Full Version : A Little Something New

kib
12-29-10, 5:49pm
As I mentioned in the old forums, I've thought it might be nice to have a place to update each other on life events as well as introduce or reintroduce ourselves. Completely optional, of course! This isn't meant to take the place of any other posts, just to be either ongoing personal journals of our significant events or simply a "bulletin board" to post our latest news. Looking forward to re-gathering our community and seeing some new faces as well, so welcome, and happy posting to all! :)

Blackdog Lin
1-2-11, 7:25pm
Hello kib. I am also hoping to "regather" our old community. I enjoyed it so much, being a member since 2003 or so. I am happy so far with the new forum: it looks similar enough to our old one to be "familiar", but different enough to seem "fresh".

Let me introduce myself as Blackdog Lin, the SLN poster previously known as hens4th. It just seemed time for a change. I'm not the same person I was in 2003, I've changed, I've learned, I've grown (I think and hope, anyway). I see the world differently these days. Must be my age. My main SL focus though, as it has always been, is staying out of debt, happy living through frugality, eating well with frugality, and a little bit of caring for Mother Earth thrown in.

The forum looks so funny, with it's dearth of postings. I'm so used to a wealth of posts to read and check in on. We'll get there soon enough, though, eh?

kib
1-2-11, 7:45pm
Blackdog Lin, the individual threads no longer show up when you go to "Forums" - you have to actually click on the forum title to see what the threads in it are. I think you'll be surprised how much stuff we've created in two days!!! :welcome:

Jemima
1-7-11, 4:41pm
Like Hens4th, I got tired of being Fluffy and feel it no longer fits, so I renamed myself Jemima after an ancestor who was an artist. I'm not a pro, but I love to paint and plan to do a lot more of it in my retirement, which I hope will be a bit later this year.

nancibt
3-12-11, 2:52pm
I need to post an update and thank all of the successful simple living folks whose posts helped me survive my last year of law practice. I was way, way beyond unhappy. I was desperate and super stressed. You provided comfort and encouragement, probably without even realizing it. Anyway, I am beginning my 4th year as a recovering attorney, and I'm not a bag lady yet! My blood pressure meds have been cut in half, and I'm hoping if I lose a bit of weight this year, I can get off it completely. I am not less busy than I was in practice, but I do many things I enjoy or that are beneficial. I sing with a chorus of other "old ladies," I attend water exercise classes (they have done WONDERS for the knee and hip pain caused by my prior sedentary life), I walk with a friend of mine and attend a Weight Watchers meeting once a week. I also have become a knitting FIEND! I hadn't knitted since college and am really enjoying it. Of course I have no pension (never will) or Social Security yet, but I get some funding for providing In Home Supportive Services for my disabled adult daughter. I have gone from lawyering to caregiving, but being a member of the union allows me to purchase affordable health insurance. We'll see how long this program survives, though in the current political and financial climate. I also host foreign students, for which I am paid by an English language school. This involves a significant amount of work, cooking , cleaning, laundry, driving, etc., but I really enjoy it. I'm just putting off as long as I can accessing my IRAs. I would NEVER have had the courage to walk away from a lucrative but deadly career without the confidence I gained by reading about how people on these forums were living well and happily on much less money. THANK YOU!

Isabella
5-1-11, 1:11pm
Hello. I am Isabella, getting reacquainted with SLForum after being away for a while due to severe health issues and then the death of my son 2 years ago which has been so debillitating that I can still hardly function. I was gobsmacked when I realized the (former) forum had closed, then terribly relieved that it lives on here. I am still living as simply as I can, with much less money than I had before as I have become totally disabled and then lost all but $14,000 when the market crashed. Not enough to pay my ins. premiums and healthcare until I finally became eligible for medicare. So am back in debt after several years of being out of debt and saving/investing-- only to have lost it all. Working on becoming debt-free again. Hoping to reconnect with SLF as in many ways I am starting all over again.

Mrs-M
5-22-11, 9:39pm
Warm hugs to you Nancibt and Isabella.

chickpea30
6-19-12, 4:48pm
Hello, I wanted to introduce myself as I just joined today. I have been looking for a community where I could share my successes and challenges in frugality and simple living as well as hear from others. I get tremendous joy from finding simple and free ways of doing things. I have been made fun of and still get laughed at by family members, but I am learning from my DH to be proud of who I am. I feel great satisfaction when I do things differently than others. For example, instead of buying flowers from the store, I cut leaves from the bushes outside and have fresh greenery indoors. I cut my childrens hair, dye my own hair, polish my own nails, buy used automobiles, homeschool my children, check out movies, books and DVDs from the library, bake my own cakes, bake my own bread, buy clothes from the thrift store, do not subscribe to cable, etc...Because of my frugality, we have paid off our mortgage and have money in the bank. I was looking for a group in my neighborhood to get together with other people like me, but have yet to find one. I am grateful for the internet and the chance to share with people all over the world.
Thank you for letting me introduce myself and I look forward to chatting with you in the forums.

herbgeek
6-19-12, 5:24pm
Welcome Chickpea- looking forward to your contributions in many of our discussions. You will find lots of like minded folks here!

minimalistgeneration
4-1-13, 12:55pm
A choice that can be done by good minimalist is live without tv, the tv can be addictive, many times we come at home and turn on the tv automatically only for background noise to spend hours and hours to zap between channels. One of the first positive sides without tv is that we find ourselves with a free space in home and with less energetic waste. One of the fears is that you get bored without tv, but rather you gain free time to do many other things, rear a good book, go outside for a walk, to do a hobby , etc... Another positive side is the mental freedom from an object that makes us suffer the information in a passive way to a wealth of information and advertising that come into our homes and encourage us to buy products that don't even need and ongoing fake reality in which we are conform. http://www.minimalistgeneration.com

ApatheticNoMore
4-1-13, 1:05pm
:spam: :spam: :spam:

pcooley
4-1-13, 7:42pm
I believe I was a frustrated at-home-father when I first signed on to the old forum. I don't know exactly what year I started following, but I've been through a lot -- nothing terrible, but stressful times. At one point, we were over $100,000 in debt with our mortgage, loan for the new roof, student loan for my wife's career-changing attempt at massage school. I'm sure there's other things thrown in there. We've been plugging away at it, especially since I went back to work part time after twelve years of being an at-home-parent. With a little bit of inheritance thrown into the mix, we're debt-free except the mortgage, which is down to around $18,000. We should own the house free and clear sometime early next year.

I'm working part-time, and I love being able to get out of kid-and-house centric world and go to an adult-centered, college-centered world. I'm basically in charge of helping to arrange lecturers at a small liberal arts college, and I also shepherd faculty applications through. I love to communicate with the applicants, which, evidently is not something many job applicants experience. One person we rejected sent a long letter of praise saying that the way she was treated during the application process makes her want to work at our college all the more, so she's going to try again in a few years. Last Friday's lecture was on Aristotle and the U.S. Constitution. It was nice being able to talk about the Nicomachean Ethics with the lecturer. That doesn't happen much to me in my role of parent, so it's nice to have a part-time work role and still be able to be home for the kids and do all the cooking and keep the homeship on a frugal keel.

It's a much happier and calmer time, and I feel that I'm closer to the goals that seemed unreachable when I first joined the old forum.

iris lily
4-1-13, 10:59pm
pcooley, thanks for the update. Sounds like you guys have made GREAT progress on the financial front.

Nothing is new here, I have almost exactly the same life I had ten years ago. That's a completely good thing.

Spartana
4-2-13, 4:43pm
pcooley, thanks for the update. Sounds like you guys have made GREAT progress on the financial front.

Nothing is new here, I have almost exactly the same life I had ten years ago. That's a completely good thing.
Ha Ha - ditto for me too. Why change perfection :-)! Liked hearing Paul's update (then vs. now), hope others' post theirs too.

Spartana
4-2-13, 4:51pm
A choice that can be done by good minimalist is live without tv, the tv can be addictive, many times we come at home and turn on the tv automatically only for background noise to spend hours and hours to zap between channels. One of the first positive sides without tv is that we find ourselves with a free space in home and with less energetic waste. One of the fears is that you get bored without tv, but rather you gain free time to do many other things, rear a good book, go outside for a walk, to do a hobby , etc... Another positive side is the mental freedom from an object that makes us suffer the information in a passive way to a wealth of information and advertising that come into our homes and encourage us to buy products that don't even need and ongoing fake reality in which we are conform. http://www.minimalistgeneration.comAs a fellow minimalist I share much of your feelings - and I agree that TV, as well as the internet, gaming, and other "sitting-on-your-butt-in-front-of-a-screen" activities can be a time suck that is addictive. However I think that there are ways to limit usage rather than doing away with it. For instance I don't have home internet (way way WAY more addictive to me than TV) yet I can use the free library computers or use my laptop at free wi-fi spots. That limits my time online yet doesn't leave me out in Luddite-ville with no way to connect. I found using an antenna rather than cable also limits my desire to watch TV. I'll watch an hour or less, turn it off and go outside to play. Now my biggest "screen" addiction would be games (I have stayed up days playing non-stop before) so I completely ban them from my life except occasionally with friends who have an X-Box or similair at their home but will never have gaming capabilities at my own home.

CathyA
4-2-13, 5:00pm
I was so excited to see Kib back.......but then realized her post was a couple years old. Anyone know how she's doing?

Onyons
12-30-13, 7:13pm
How do I add a photo?

SteveinMN
12-31-13, 9:18am
Onyons, there are a couple of ways.

If you have the photo on your own Web site, you can link to it using an tag. The easiest way is to click on the icon over the new-message area that looks like a glove with some chain links. Then type in the appropriate reference from your Web site (for example, [IMG]http://www.yourwebsitename.com/yourpicturename.jpg ).

If you don't have the picture already on a site, you can use a site like tinypic.com (http://www.tinypic.com) to upload a picture from your computer and create that [IMG] string you need. Keep in mind, however, that sites like that won't hold your picture forever. For a few months on this board, however, it should be long enough.

Gardenarian
12-31-13, 4:36pm
I use Photobucket (http://s3.photobucket.com/) to upload photos. They do store them for a long time.

kathryn
1-28-14, 9:26pm
Hi Folks!
I'm pretty much a newbie here. I've mostly lurked in the past but have not been on in about 2 years. I'm hoping to get back to the simple life! I'm currently in Minnesota, but moving to the San Joaquin Valley area next month..............kathryn

Lainey
1-28-14, 9:31pm
Hi Folks!
I'm pretty much a newbie here. I've mostly lurked in the past but have not been on in about 2 years. I'm hoping to get back to the simple life! I'm currently in Minnesota, but moving to the San Joaquin Valley area next month..............kathryn

Great to see you posting, kathryn. That's a big move you're making, you'll have to tell us how it goes.

SteveinMN
1-29-14, 9:42am
Welcome, kathryn, from another Minnesotan.

Moving to California ... did this winter do you in? :)

kathryn
1-29-14, 8:19pm
Thanks and lol.....this winter has sucked!! As much as I've hated this winter, it didn't play a role in my moving. I am moving in with my girlfriend that happens to live there. I'll miss parts of the midwest, but there's a chance we will be back in a few years so while I'm there I'm going to enjoy myself!! :-)

onlinemoniker
1-29-14, 9:06pm
Hello: I am new as well. My name is Cate and I live in Virginia. I teach school. I have a cat and dog and am interested in living simply. Although I can be very frugal, I have found that when I do start spending it's so easy to just keep going--especially with clothes! I try to "just say no" to spending much of the time. My mantra is "do I really need this?" Usually, the answer is "no" and I put it back. I hope to get some helpful tips for being frugal and saving money. I want to pay my mortgage off so I can retire early but it's difficult bc my school division does NOT want to pay us a decent salary (I live in the South.) But that doesn't mean the situation is hopeless! I also look forward to figuring out how to start a new paragraph as it appears that hitting "enter" doesn't do it.

SteveinMN
1-30-14, 8:51am
Hello, Cate! Lots of tips here on living frugally and simply.

The new-paragraph problem: are you using Internet Explorer for a Web browser? I seem to recall (dimly; I'm primarily a Mac user and didn't use IE when I used Windows) recall that there is some setting/compatibility issue with IE and the forum software here. Perhaps someone else will chime in with the fix.

Alan
1-30-14, 9:05am
Steve is correct. There has been an on-going problem with Internet Explorer since version 7 (I believe). I've had this problem myself using versions 8, 9, 10 and now 11. Other browsers such as Chrome, Firefox or Safari work properly.

The fix in IE is to activate Compatibility View. The following link will instruct you on how to do so. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-11
Please note that the instructions may change depending upon your IE version. Choose the appropriate version from the dropdown in the upper right corner of the page.

SteveinMN
1-31-14, 9:31am
Thanks, Alan.

onlinemoniker
2-1-14, 8:15pm
Alan & Steve: Thanks for the idea. When I get around to it I'm going to download 8.1 because I absolutely HATE Windows 8 and have been suffering with it for a year. Hopefully that will work otherwise I will attempt your link. I am a techno-disaster.

Alan
2-1-14, 8:29pm
Alan & Steve: Thanks for the idea. When I get around to it I'm going to download 8.1 because I absolutely HATE Windows 8 and have been suffering with it for a year. Hopefully that will work otherwise I will attempt your link. I am a techno-disaster.Hi onlinemoniker, I'm sorry to tell you that whether you're using Windows 8 or 8.1, the problem will remain if you use Internet Explorer as your browser. I think you'll find that the only fix with IE is to activate Compatibility View. Personally, I'd download and install Chrome (https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/?brand=CHMA&utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-bk&utm_medium=ha).

onlinemoniker
2-2-14, 7:37am
I was afraid you'd say that. I guess I'll try the fix as I really am not fond of Chrome. Problem is I know I've only got the tech skills for about a 50:50 chance of making it work. This COULD be a good opportunity for brevity of expression, though...

SteveinMN
2-2-14, 3:58pm
Firefox works, too -- though it does not solve your tech-issue problem as it, like Chrome, will be a third-party browser. But Chrome and Firefox are free -- you can download either (or both, if so inclined) and try an install. Just accepting the default installation options should result in a usable browser. And if one of them works for you, great! If not, you're no further behind than you are now.

Icecrystal
2-6-14, 8:22pm
Hi! I'm new and very happy to be here. I don't know if this is common knowledge here, or if it doesn't qualify as simplification, but since we retired to TN, I've become an avid user of the digital library. It seems like the county libraries in TN, AZ, GA and a couple of other states have some form of digital library. I download ebooks and audiobooks with my laptop, and have the capability of transferring those to an ereader or listening device. I can't say enough about how happy I am with this arrangement! There's no hard copy to lose or damage, no late fees since whatever you have borrowed simply expires and disappears (in some cases, you have to manually delete it from peripheral devices), you save on fuel and wear-and-tear on your vehicle, and the software even makes suggestions based upon the past choices listed on your account. Not certain if this is the appropriate forum for this, but I have this flaw (dive in and flounder around is my motto). Anyway, you can access the digital library as long as you have a membership at your local library in TN and AZ. I've learned some valuable information by lurking here these past few days, so I hope that someone will benefit from this. :)

razz
2-6-14, 8:40pm
Ice, just started using the library's digital services and you are right about the efficiency of the downloads. Glad that you joined us and please keep sharing.

Icecrystal
2-6-14, 10:09pm
Thank you, razz! (Just figured out the little green arrow *giggle*). :thankyou:

SteveinMN
2-7-14, 6:54am
Welcome aboard!

I've long preferred to read on my laptop rather than paper (for lots of reasons), so being able to get rid of the expense of books and periodicals by borrowing them from the library is right up my alley.

Icecrystal
2-9-14, 8:57pm
I'm very happy to hear you! Our heirs would not value what we do, so it's pointless to accumulate things for them. The laptop doesn't require any light to read by, so it's just great. Thanks, Steve!

new2oregon
2-9-14, 9:05pm
Icecrystal welcome aboard, Where are you from? The Library can be handy for not spending money. I still like reading a book instead of a digital version.

JWtravels
5-7-14, 9:20am
As a fellow minimalist I share much of your feelings - and I agree that TV, as well as the internet, gaming, and other "sitting-on-your-butt-in-front-of-a-screen" activities can be a time suck that is addictive. However I think that there are ways to limit usage rather than doing away with it. For instance I don't have home internet (way way WAY more addictive to me than TV) yet I can use the free library computers or use my laptop at free wi-fi spots. That limits my time online yet doesn't leave me out in Luddite-ville with no way to connect. I found using an antenna rather than cable also limits my desire to watch TV. I'll watch an hour or less, turn it off and go outside to play. Now my biggest "screen" addiction would be games (I have stayed up days playing non-stop before) so I completely ban them from my life except occasionally with friends who have an X-Box or similair at their home but will never have gaming capabilities at my own home.

Oh man I completely agree!! The internet for me is a huge weakness and it's hard for me to just be on for a few minutes and then go about my day. I got rid of my computer and now just have a kindle fire, but I still spend way to much time on it. I am making progress though, getting outside a lot more and just doing more book reading. Thank you for your honesty because I have pretty much the same addiction and it sucks.

Hello everyone I am brand new here! Found this forum yesterday and liked what I was reading, so figured I would join. Little bit about me, I am 28 yrs old and got out of the military a few years ago so I have been going to college since then off and on, but recently decided it wasn't for me so I dropped out and now I am going to a nine month wilderness survival course in Duvall, Washington. I do not own a car, or a house or apartment. I rent a room from a friend near Philadelphia. I am living on $400 for 4 months after I paid rent, and I am having to change my eating habits because of that. The goal is transitioning to where I won't need money I will live money free. Once I go through this school I will be even closer to my goal. My name is Jonathan Walliser and good to meet you all

iris lilies
5-7-14, 10:07am
...Hello everyone I am brand new here! Found this forum yesterday and liked what I was reading, so figured I would join. Little bit about me, I am 28 yrs old and got out of the military a few years ago so I have been going to college since then off and on, but recently decided it wasn't for me so I dropped out and now I am going to a nine month wilderness survival course in Duvall, Washington. I do not own a car, or a house or apartment. I rent a room from a friend near Philadelphia. I am living on $400 for 4 months after I paid rent, and I am having to change my eating habits because of that. The goal is transitioning to where I won't need money I will live money free. Once I go through this school I will be even closer to my goal. My name is Jonathan Walliser and good to meet you all

Hi a nd welcome, Jonathan! Interesting adventure that you are on, keep us posted!

SiouzQ.
5-7-14, 6:47pm
Welcome Here! I look forward to hearing of your adventures!

ZanaHart
9-28-19, 11:21am
I was here for a while and then I got distracted. This week was my 77th birthday and I got an email from this forum. So I came here and thought gee, I'd like to stay in touch here. I am a writer and I'm working on a series of memoirs. The first two are up on Amazon under my name and the third one will be soon. It's about being an LSD research subject right after I graduated from college in 1964. That led me to simpler living, though I didn't realize it for a while. The fourth one will be about being the daughter of science fiction writer Cordwainer Smith.

My husband and I live in an old adobe house, almost as old as us, which we bought and fixed up a few years ago, in a town in New Mexico. Silver City has a lot of artistic people, a lot of Mexican-Americans, and it's an interesting place to live. I also like that it has no earthquakes or tornadoes, and the only hurricanes are the mild dregs of far-off ones.

catherine
9-28-19, 12:41pm
Cool! Thanks for checking in! We'd love to hear from you more often!

Congratulations on your books.

SteveinMN
9-28-19, 4:55pm
Welcome (back)! Looking forward to seeing more posts from you about your experiences in living simply.

organictex
12-3-19, 7:09am
i love the Silver City area and the Gila Wilderness. Welcome back!
jim

iris lilies
12-3-19, 9:55am
The Gila is very pretty and a welcome respite from the surrounding scrubby desert landscape. When I lived in Las Cruces, it was a common destination for my hiking friends. Silver City was interesting even decades ago.

Sad Eyed Lady
12-5-19, 9:26am
Loving this thread. It does remind me of the "old days" of the simple living forums and it is fresh to actually be talking about "simple living" again.

DH and I had practiced, (in our way. I know everyone is different), simple living principles for several years. Then, in 2015 my husband passed away unexpectedly in the space of a few seconds/minutes one morning from a massive, massive heart attack and I was left totally alone. I remember a panic-y feeling in those early days, realizing I was going to be living on 1/2 the income but with basically all the same bills! Now, it has been just over 4 1/2 years and I am still here living in our home and taking care of bills, repairs and whatever comes my way. I think the SL ideas of getting out of debt, paying off something large (mortgage) and living below our means really paid off in that way. We still enjoyed many things together, not feeling that we were depriving ourselves at all but being responsible where our money went and being able to save for the future. Which sadly now is this. So, having said all that, I look forward to reading this thread and fresh ideas of simple living. Hello to those who have returned under new names!

Tybee
12-5-19, 9:48am
Loving this thread. It does remind me of the "old days" of the simple living forums and it is fresh to actually be talking about "simple living" again.

DH and I had practiced, (in our way. I know everyone is different), simple living principles for several years. Then, in 2015 my husband passed away unexpectedly in the space of a few seconds/minutes one morning from a massive, massive heart attack and I was left totally alone. I remember a panic-y feeling in those early days, realizing I was going to be living on 1/2 the income but with basically all the same bills! Now, it has been just over 4 1/2 years and I am still here living in our home and taking care of bills, repairs and whatever comes my way. I think the SL ideas of getting out of debt, paying off something large (mortgage) and living below our means really paid off in that way. We still enjoyed many things together, not feeling that we were depriving ourselves at all but being responsible where our money went and being able to save for the future. Which sadly now is this. So, having said all that, I look forward to reading this thread and fresh ideas of simple living. Hello to those who have returned under new names!

That is a real testament to what simple living is about, and can accomplish. I am sorry for your loss, and I too like reading the fresh ideas of simple living!

iris lilies
12-6-19, 1:32pm
I have always told myself that a 1200-1400 sq ft house is PLENTY for us.

now i feel bouts of panic in thinking about the tiny bedrooms and bathrooms in our Hermann house. I mean, they are small! And then, we are probably fking them up further by i troducing two doors in each of them to access one bathroom.

yet, I ask myself about the bathrooms: why do you care? Our current upstairs bathroom, the big one, is our shower room, night toilet, and cat litter box room. There is a lot of white tiled space to keep clean for these limited activities. How much room do we really need for bathrooms anyway?

more later on small spaces and irislilies.

Teacher Terry
12-6-19, 1:44pm
Since our house is older 2 of our bedrooms are small as is the original bathroom. We took the bathtub out and put in a shower stall because of the size. Our master bedroom is big because that and the dining room was added in 1970. We stole space from the dining room for our master bathroom.

Coldcash57
4-15-20, 9:19am
Been a member of both old and new forums for maybe 15 years but never spent much time on them. Now retired, looking forward to interacting with the community.

Starting with reading Thoreau at the age of 15, I've been an armchair simplicity enthusiast all my life while caught up in the throes of consumerism. My fault, I know. Even went so far as to drive 1100 hundred miles back in the early 1980s to Maine and meet Helen and Scott Nearing. But I've never approached it seriously enough to try it for any more than a short time, especially with other family members also indoctrinated as consumers.

So here comes COVID-19. And sheltering in place. And I live in one of the first states that shut everything down, Ohio. So with no place to go, no place to eat out at, it's not hard at all to NOT SPEND. And I've never seriously tried and stuck to a budget for more than a few days. We're 2 weeks into out first budget and I'm glad to report we've finally started. My problem has always been starting, but better to start late then never!

I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms from not spending, or driving around foolishly, or eating out when we want! lol I'll be fine!

catherine
4-15-20, 9:43am
Been a member of both old and new forums for maybe 15 years but never spent much time on them. Now retired, looking forward to interacting with the community.

Starting with reading Thoreau at the age of 15, I've been an armchair simplicity enthusiast all my life while caught up in the throes of consumerism. My fault, I know. Even went so far as to drive 1100 hundred miles back in the early 1980s to Maine and meet Helen and Scott Nearing. But I've never approached it seriously enough to try it for any more than a short time, especially with other family members also indoctrinated as consumers.

So here comes COVID-19. And sheltering in place. And I live in one of the first states that shut everything down, Ohio. So with no place to go, no place to eat out at, it's not hard at all to NOT SPEND. And I've never seriously tried and stuck to a budget for more than a few days. We're 2 weeks into out first budget and I'm glad to report we've finally started. My problem has always been starting, but better to start late then never!

I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms from not spending, or driving around foolishly, or eating out when we want! lol I'll be fine!

Very cool! Thanks for re-introducing yourself! I really relate to what you said about Thoreau--Walden is one of my top 10 books, and another one of my top 10 books is The Good Life by the Nearings! (So cool to meet them!). But, also like you, my aspirations are in one place and my lifestyle is in another in many ways.

Welcome back!

Teacher Terry
4-15-20, 12:14pm
Welcome CC! Yes we also are really missing our lives.

rosarugosa
4-16-20, 6:25am
Welcome, CC!
I was thinking about the fact that much of the country has been involuntarily thrust into simple living. Those who have at least some desire to live simply are bound to do a bit better with all this.

Gardnr
4-16-20, 11:25am
Welcome, CC!
I was thinking about the fact that much of the country has been involuntarily thrust into simple living. Those who have at least some desire to live simply are bound to do a bit better with all this.

Agreed. And then there are those who can't wait for "the windfall" to shop online:|(

ApatheticNoMore
4-16-20, 11:53am
Agreed. And then there are those who can't wait for "the windfall" to shop online:|(

of course that's the only way a stimulus check could be stimulating to the economy. Of course in reality one could make the case, as many people should be either working from home or at home unemployed as possible. As few warehouse workers employed as possible but obviously that's not none, as people are ordering necessities online if they can now too. Sometimes I almost feel somehow I should be using the stimulus check to stimulate the economy, but uh not in a pandemic, let's deal with this pandemic first.

happystuff
4-16-20, 1:34pm
of course that's the only way a stimulus check could be stimulating to the economy. Of course in reality one could make the case, as many people should be either working from home or at home unemployed as possible. As few warehouse workers employed as possible but obviously that's not none, as people are ordering necessities online if they can now too. Sometimes I almost feel somehow I should be using the stimulus check to stimulate the economy, but uh not in a pandemic, let's deal with this pandemic first.

I believe that stimulating the economy also occurs when you pay your bills and meet your other financial obligations - not necessarily go out and spend for the sake of spending. I've never really had a lot of disposable income, so my spending habits have not really changed much. I contribute to the economy by paying those bills that I accrue, thus making it possible for those companies to pay THEIR employees, etc. etc. etc.

rosarugosa
4-16-20, 3:21pm
Very true, Happystuff. There is definitely a ripple effect from meeting or not meeting one's financial obligations.

Coldcash57
4-17-20, 8:23am
I believe that stimulating the economy also occurs when you pay your bills and meet your other financial obligations - not necessarily go out and spend for the sake of spending. I've never really had a lot of disposable income, so my spending habits have not really changed much. I contribute to the economy by paying those bills that I accrue, thus making it possible for those companies to pay THEIR employees, etc. etc. etc.

What a wonderful way of thinking, and so true as well! Thanks for sharing!

Coldcash57
4-17-20, 8:27am
Your third memoir sounds interesting. I know that due to abuses in Canada where test subjects were given too much and had psychotic episodes, testing was halted in the USA, and just opened up again a few years ago.

Tradd
4-19-20, 6:40pm

Totally agree!

happystuff
6-17-20, 7:39am
Wrong thread. LOL.