PDA

View Full Version : disputing a late fee??

pinkytoe
12-27-18, 1:19pm
Against my better judgement, I charged some new bed linens from JCP as we were having company and the bedding was kind of shabby. I don't normally buy from big box retailers nor do I normally pay by check (my mistake again) but I mailed a payment in full six days before the due date. The statement I just received has a late fee of $27 on the $31 payment. What recourse do I have and why do I have to submit to their unfair ways of earning revenue? Consumer hell...

catherine
12-27-18, 1:26pm
I would simply call them up and explain that you mailed it in good time and it posted later than expected. That you've been a customer for a long time with a perfect record and would they waive the late fee just once. If they say no, say, "In that case, please cancel my card."

In my experience they'll give you a mulligan.

jp1
12-27-18, 1:31pm
I'd also check your bank and see when the check cleared. It may be that they deposited it but for whatever reason dragged their feet on crediting your account.

rosarugosa
12-27-18, 2:03pm
Yes do call them. If you have a good record, they should waive the fee. I've done this a time or two when I just goofed, and they waived the fee with no push-back.

Teacher Terry
12-27-18, 2:04pm
Yes they should waive it.

ToomuchStuff
12-29-18, 5:25pm
I'd also check your bank and see when the check cleared. It may be that they deposited it but for whatever reason dragged their feet on crediting your account.

I would do this first, as I expect them posting it, may be delayed due to the holidays, and better to be armed with that, in case of push back.

pinkytoe
12-29-18, 5:33pm
As it turned out, they wouldn't talk to me as the account is in DHs name. So...I coached DH on how to be a nice guy awhen he called to request a waive of late fee. I think it worked.

Money and Mountains
3-6-19, 12:32am
Good deal! Usually, if it doesn't happen often, places will waive the late fee. Good job on coaching DH. I think often being the nice guy is the way to go (at least at first!) :)

Rogar
3-6-19, 7:51am
I had a late fee slapped onto my trash removal bill for a check that somehow got delayed in the mail for a couple of weeks. It took about 5 minutes on the phone to get the fee removed.

CathyA
3-6-19, 3:23pm
The times that I was a little late on a bill, I just called them and explained things and they removed the fee.

Greg44
3-8-19, 7:36pm
Over the years we have had some late fees - Usually it is because I thought I had paid it or completely spaced it out. I simply called - and usually start with something like "Pleading for your mercy here!" and explain just what happened.

If it really was an oversight and they can see your good account history - I have had them clear it off immediately. I then thank them profusely. Sometimes they will want an payment over the phone and that is fine. They want your business.
Being nice I believe will get you much further when you are at their mercy.

Tammy
3-8-19, 7:44pm
I’ve only had a few over a 30 year span. I just paid them. Figured paying it would make me more careful in the future. Used it as a self improvement tool. Ha