PDA

View Full Version : Irritation with local women news people

CathyA
4-3-19, 5:26pm
With all this "Me too" movement, I don't understand how some women continue to present themselves on our local TV stations. I watch the morning CBS local station, in particular, but it's really starting to bother me.
They wear skin tight dresses, giggle a lot. One evening news woman tonight on a local NBC station, who I think does a great job, is wearing a fairly low-cut dress with cut-out shoulders and frilly stuff further down on her upper arms.
I don't understand this. I think this takes away from how they are viewed (at least by me). I know many women have said that they don't dress for men, that they just feel better about themselves when they "dress up"........but I think they don't realize that that's how this culture has raised them to dress....to be noticed by men. I sure wish they would present themselves in a more professional manner. Some of you will say it's my problem if I'm judging them on their attire/the way they present themselves, but I think this is such a contradiction in what's going on in this country with the Me Too movement.

I know it's probably what is expected of them when they want the job........but that's another irritation. Why does the media think that women have to act/look this way in order to be hired and on the air?

bae
4-3-19, 5:31pm
http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Slut_shaming

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-truth-about-slut-shaming_b_7054162

Yppej
4-3-19, 5:32pm
I don't get why they wear sleeveless dresses in the middle of winter when temperatures are subzero. Why can't the male anchors work out, develop some good pecs, and wear wifebeater shirts on the air?

CathyA
4-3-19, 5:47pm
I don't get why they wear sleeveless dresses in the middle of winter when temperatures are subzero. Why can't the male anchors work out, develop some good pecs, and wear wifebeater shirts on the air?

LOL Yppej!

happystuff
4-3-19, 5:50pm

Maybe because they like the dresses? Maybe because they have a different tolerance to temperatures? To really get an answer, you would have to ask them.
They can, but maybe the male anchors don't want to work out ? ("Good" pecs is very subjective.)
Male anchors shouldn't wear wifebeater shirts on the air just as female anchors shouldn't wear husbandbeater shirts on the air.

To me the whole MeToo thing is about anybody of either sex being able to say "No" and having that response accepted and respected, without suffering retribution for saying it.

bae
4-3-19, 5:51pm
To me the whole MeToo thing is about anybody of either sex being able to say "No" and having that response accepted and respected, without suffering retribution for saying it.

Being able to say "no" about simple matters of personal body autonomy endangers the entire fabric of our civilization!

JaneV2.0
4-3-19, 6:21pm
My favorite broadcaster is Rachel Maddow who wears "a ten dollar blazer" (actually one of a number of lookalike jackets) every night over a pair of baggy jeans that remain out of camera view. I don't want to be entertained/distracted by costuming, either male or female.

Teacher Terry
4-3-19, 9:46pm
I love Rachel but she gets worked up and I can only take so much of that.

KayLR
4-4-19, 2:23pm
I always feel sorry for the anchor guys who have to wear shirts and nooses around their necks, all covered by a (usually ill-fitting) suit coat. Those studio lights are why the women dress sleevelessly. It's hot on camera.

Tenngal
4-4-19, 2:34pm

EXACTLY!!!!!!

CathyA
4-4-19, 3:41pm
Another thing that I find weird is that some of the girls on the morning local news have Facebook pages open to everyone. One was a former beauty contest winner, and has pictures I wouldn't post for everyone to see.
Here's the dress that the evening news woman had on. I figured out a way of cropping it so I leave out their faces. Like I said, I really like her, but I find the choice of dress weird. What's wrong with more conservative dress? Or is that "slutting" her?

JaneV2.0
4-4-19, 3:50pm
It seems silly clothes go right along with silly news--which particularly defines most local news, IMO.
It's probably A-OK with their preferred demographic; they have stylists who push certain looks.

Remember Christine Craft, the newsreader who was famously told she was "too old, too ugly, and not deferential to men?" She wrote a book about her experience.

Geila
4-4-19, 5:31pm
Another thing that I find weird is that some of the girls on the morning local news have Facebook pages open to everyone. One was a former beauty contest winner, and has pictures I wouldn't post for everyone to see.
Here's the dress that the evening news woman had on. I figured out a way of cropping it so I leave out their faces. Like I said, I really like her, but I find the choice of dress weird. What's wrong with more conservative dress? Or is that "slutting" her?

Wow, I'm not crazy about the dress, mainly the color and fussy sleeves, but I would never call it revealing. It doesn't show any cleavage at all, so I don't see where it's 'low-cut' at all. The only exposed part is a small part of her arm. I remember how Michelle Obama was heavily criticized because she wore a sleeveless dress for one of the portraits. Craziness. I do always make fun of the fact that women on news shows always look like they're dressed up to go to a party, instead of being at work - not because the clothing is revealing or inappropriate, just that it's very Nice, the kind of dress that one would save for going out. But I don't think they have much control over that - it's media/cultural norms that dictate a lot of that. And they make a lot of money, so I can laugh all I want. I'm sure they don't care! :laff:

iris lilies
4-4-19, 5:48pm

I absolutely hate that fashion with the cut out sleeves. just last week I was thinking do we have to see that again this year? Surely it is out of fashion by now. So that said, I greatly dislike the woman’s cut out top, but it is fashion. It is Kmart fashion p, certainly not high fashion or classic fashion. But it is all over the place at least it was last year.

This bubblegum pink color makes it even more floofy and non-serious.

Yppej
4-4-19, 5:59pm
Suze Orman dressed like Rachel Maddow, but she is no longer on the air.

JaneV2.0
4-4-19, 6:24pm
I remember Suze Orman always wearing metallic leather jackets and the like. I'm pretty sure both Orman and Maddow can dress to please themselves, unlike local anchors who are likely pretty heavily edited by their management and their stylists.

CathyA
4-4-19, 7:20pm
I love Nora O'Donnel on CBS news in the mornings, but she's worn something with the open shoulders too. Yeah, I imagine they get told what to wear, for the most part, but you'd think such a highly-paid anchor would have a say. Like Yppej suggested.....I wonder how it would go if men dressed in a similar sexy manner.......... People would say WTF? How about a shirt opened half way down with their chest showing, and a big medallion. Yeah....that's it. :~)
I think when they dress in a "sexy" way, it takes away from their perceived competence.

JaneV2.0
4-5-19, 9:35am
I do prefer gravitas with my news, for the most part. That includes dressing like an adult.

Tammy
4-5-19, 9:42am
Emotionally, I have the same reaction as the original poster. Intellectually, I agree with the links that Bae posted.

I am conflicted.

ApatheticNoMore
4-5-19, 10:37am
Local news is at least generally accurate as far as it goes (it doesn't go that far) even if disproportionately focused on lurid crimes etc... That's a lot more that can be said for a lot of the propaganda out there. Of course if I'm checking out local news it's usually A.M. radio (not right-wing radio and not NPR, but you know the local news station). There are also newspapers of course.

The news anchors, well they will be out of a job before 40. That's what it's like when you are paid for your looks. Of course that's all jobs to a degree, but some much more than others.

JaneV2.0
4-5-19, 11:07am
The news anchors, well they will be out of a job before 40. That's what it's like when you are paid for your looks. Of course that's all jobs to a degree, but some much more than others.

We had the perennially-popular Jean Enersen and the late Kathi Goertzen in local news up here. Enersen worked for KING for 48 years. (Her male co-anchor and the company meteorologist were also pretty long in the tooth.) Goertzen only avoided a similarly distinguished career by getting a brain tumor and dying at 54. We like our anchors seasoned. (Though now that KOMO has been subsumed by Sinclair, that's due to change there.)