PDA

View Full Version : Decluttering LP's -- suggestions?

sumarie
5-26-11, 11:01am
Hi all. We've discovered we have approximately 5 large boxes full of old LP's -- vinyl 45's, 78's, and Long Play albums. Some of them might have value, most not, I imagine, but we're trying to keep them out of the land fill. Anybody have experience or thoughts in regards to this? Thank you!

beckyliz
5-26-11, 1:16pm
Wow! Maybe list them on Craigslist? I know there's a guy here locally who buys lp's, maybe there's someone in your area who is a collector, too.

catherine
5-26-11, 1:27pm
DON'T THROW THEM OUT!! You might think they're as good as yesterday's 8-track tapes, but my 26 year old has a turntable and regularly buys "vinyls" as they're now called. Some say the sound is purer, and they're actually being marketed as a way for musical artists to get SOMETHING for their efforts, now that everything is digital, piratable, and cheap.

Here's the link to a place near me in Central Jersey that buys and sells LPs/vinyls.

http://www.prex.com/

Zigzagman
5-26-11, 5:53pm
We gave our neighbor all of our LP's that we had been collecting since the 60's just 2 years ago. I kept the old Dylan, Beetles, Stones, and odd records like Blind Faith, Buffalo Springfield, Traffic, Sopwith Camel, Funkadelics, etc. The rest, in the interest of de-cluttering we gladly donated to our younger friends - even gave them an old Dual turntable so they could play them.

The neighbor told us a few weeks ago that they had sold a few of the albums to a Austin record buyer for several hundred bucks - they brought me a case of Jack Daniels and the wife a bottle expensive olive oil. I ripped almost all of the stuff I really liked and have it on the computer these days, connected to my surround sound stereo on top of the TV. In our pool room I still have my old McIntosh Amp, some Bose 901's and a old Denon CD player - this setup sounds much better than my main system but have not figured out how to connect it between the two rooms (wires, etc). I'm considering wireless but not sure it would be worth the cost.

I found that in my old age that I listen to my music much more these days connected to the computer simply because it is easy to find, etc. But I do have fond memories of sitting in a circle with friends passing a joint, seeds popping, and laughing until our stomachs hurt - those were the days before everybody hated each other.

A few years ago I made a "stash box" out of walnut and cherry and cut up an original Sgt. Peppers album cover for the bottom of the box, covered it with glass, after me and my DW are gone then I guess the family will inherit it. I think they will appreciate the nostalgia that it represents. Maybe even a few heirloom seeds.

Peace

Float On
5-26-11, 10:20pm
I just read an article the other day where a guy used them to shingle the shed he built in his backyard. He'd left them out to weather for 2 years to make sure they could handle the heat and cold before he put them on his roof.

Sad Eyed Lady
5-27-11, 9:46am
Don't throw them away! As someone who also has 2-3 hundred LP's, I still listen to vinyl at times and have some I would not part with. However the ones we didn't listen to any longer and had just sit on the shelf for years, I listed on ebay and was surprised at the price some of them brought. I am talking in the range of $40.00 or better, per album. So, if you don't want them for your listening pleasure, go through them and note the quality, then look them up on ebay's completed auctions or Craigslist (which I have not had personal experience with). You may have a minor goldmine!

Jemima
5-27-11, 11:39am
Check some of them out on eBay to see if your titles are selling and for how much. I generally do this before donating odd items, like the sound-deadening earphones that work well but mash my eyeglass stems into my temples and give me a headache.

sumarie
5-28-11, 4:12pm
Aw, thanks Everybody for your input! (happy reminiscing, Zigzagman!)
I don't think we'll be making any sudden moves (as in dumping them in one job lot), & will look into which of them might have some value. One more question: for those of you who've been able to sell through Ebay, how did you mail them? Is there special packing material that people use to ship vinyl?

tgardella
5-31-11, 1:43pm
I suggest finding a local store that buys and sells vinyl records. They know the value and will give you cash for whatever they know they can resell, and you won't have to deal with shipping.