PDA

View Full Version : What to eat when you don't feel like cooking

AmeliaJane
5-28-11, 9:11am
I remember in the old forums there was a great thread on what to eat for dinner when you just can't face cooking, and you don't have, or want, leftovers.

What are your great ideas?

libby
5-28-11, 10:18am
Toast and peanutbutter.

Tradd
5-28-11, 10:46am
Brie (or other cheese), baquette/crackers, good olives

Pita and hummus

Florence
5-28-11, 10:59am
Toasted sour dough bread, cheese, and an apple.
I second Tradd's pita and hummus.
Cereal, milk, and banana
Ice cream :|(

Kestra
5-28-11, 11:16am
popcorn, fruit and nuts

Float On
5-28-11, 12:08pm
apple and peanut butter.
Ciabatta bread with english cheddar cheese toasted.
a lot of times I pack a broken up crunchy granola bar, cashew nuts, dried cranberries, and some dark chocolate chips when I'm going for a drive.

redfox
5-28-11, 2:06pm
Keep a supply of hard boiled eggs around. That and a piece of fruit is a good combo. There's always ice cream too...

Rosemary
5-28-11, 4:05pm
I always keep a supply of prepped, raw vegetables and leafy greens in the fridge. A great salad takes just minutes to put together, and random leftovers can also be added to it.

Maxamillion
5-28-11, 4:19pm
When I had a microwave, I kept frozen burritos on hand.

Now it's PB&J or cheese tostadas broiled in the oven. And frozen pizzas. I love frozen pizzas.

Greg44
5-28-11, 4:33pm
Ice cream out of the carton while leaning against the kitchen counter -- and I wonder why I am over weight?!
Cold Cereal
Microwave Popcorn
Cheese & Crackers
Peanut Butter/Jelly on crackers

Float on -- McD french fries are ALWAYS tempting!

Fawn
5-28-11, 6:19pm
Cheese and apple

Peanut butter eaten out of the jar (fresh spoon each time)

Mustard sardines eaten out of can (herring will do)

Soup microwaved and put into my travel mug

Beets with balsamic vinegar spinkled on them

Granola bar and whatever fruit is in the house

Yogurt and banana (a favorite combination)

Cheapo homemade trail mix with peanuts and raisins

These involve cooking, but so simple:

organic eggs over easy w/ toast

Ramen noodles w/ frozen vegetables and shrimp added at end of cooking

grilled cheese, bonus if there is a tomato on it

Ummm....looking around....why is my list so much longer than anyone elses? :|(

Sad Eyed Lady
5-28-11, 6:54pm
Cheese, crackers (or good bread), and fruit. Always a favorite.

lhamo
5-28-11, 7:11pm
Crackers and cheese is a go-to for me, too.

Yogurt -- sometimes with fruit and/or roasted millet mixed in.

Cereal. When the family is away, I will sometimes have cereal for dinner days on end.

Egg or tuna salad on toast or crackers.

Pasta with pre-made sauce.

In the US, canned soup -- too expensive here.

lhamo

Float On
5-28-11, 8:26pm
I've been having a little yogurt and granola almost every night. Trying to not keep ice cream in the house much anymore because DH just can't eat it but will if it is there.

pony mom
5-28-11, 9:34pm
Toast
Oatmeal
Cookies!!

goldensmom
5-28-11, 11:00pm
Ice cream out of the carton while leaning against the kitchen counter -- and I wonder why I am over weight?!
Cold Cereal
Microwave Popcorn
Cheese & Crackers
Peanut Butter/Jelly on crackers

Float on -- McD french fries are ALWAYS tempting!

YES!!! Gregg44. I had that situation last night and if it were just me I'd choose cereal but we ordered pizza.

Tiam
5-28-11, 11:05pm
cream cheese seasoned however you like, garlic, herbs, pepper, and crackers.

Wildflower
5-29-11, 4:31am
Corn chips and salsa
Raw veggies with a little Ranch salad dressing
Frozen whole wheat waffle, pop in the toaster, eat with peanut butter and maple syrup
Ice Cream
Canned soup and crackers
Frozen pizza
Omelette - quick and easy to make, throw in cheese and whatever else sounds good
PB&J sandwich or cheese sandwich
Oatmeal or cereal
Bread & butter
Fried egg on toast

I must say I rarely eat some of the things on the above list, but when in a pinch any of them will do. :)

cdttmm
5-29-11, 7:08am
Cold cereal and milk
English muffin with peanut butter
Mac n cheese from a box :|(
Cheese and crackers
Frozen peas
Any kind of crusty bread with olive oil (and maybe some balsalmic vinegar)

ApatheticNoMore
5-31-11, 1:36am
If we're just talking simple meals, a piece of fish or meat isn't that hard (provided it is on hand and doesn't need defrosting),just plain with salt and pepper. I like to saute some greens with it, that isn't that hard either but sometimes I'm too lazy for even that. Or ground beef (already ground) or cheese in a taco isn't hard either. Pasta isn't hard IF you already have the sauce for it and just have to boil noodles (I often have pesto in the freezer and I'll add a can of tuna). I wouldn't mind keeping marinara in the freezer either (I'm slightly obsessed with the freezer at present I think. I can cook now and eat it later - wow what a revelation). Sometimes I've just eaten pasta with olive oil and fresh herbs (could just be parsley if that's all you have). Oatmeal isn't hard (unless your doing steel cut of course).

If no cooking at all then a banana and nuts or seeds is always good, heck a banana all by itself is pretty good! Yes, peanut butter straight out of the jar perhaps combined with marmalade or something straight out of the jar is good (bread, who needs bread? I seldom actually keep bread on hand is the problem there). Yogurt is also good. Yea I will eat fish straight out of the can when desperate (tuna or sardines). Canned soup is really a last resort but I have Anne's Organic vegetarian soups on hand most of the time. Um I don't usually keep ice cream on hand :)

Tiam
5-31-11, 3:58pm
I keep my comal right on the stove top. It's easy to just heat and warm up a tortilla and put topping on, or even grill a sandwich. Since it's seasoned cast iron, I just wipe it off most of the time. Very convenient.

HappyHiker
5-31-11, 4:03pm
I like mixing dry roasted peanuts (unsalted) and golden raisins together and eating them from a bowl with a glass of water as a chaser--just the right mixture of sweetness and crunch.

Rosemary
5-31-11, 5:36pm
Like HappyHiker, I also mix dried fruit/nuts for a mini snack - I have almonds and walnuts in jars on the counter (we use a lot of them) and other nuts/seeds in the fridge. Various dried fruits on hand at all times. Call it trail mix, call it an unprocessed Larabar - it's satisfying and filling.

libby
5-31-11, 11:19pm
Almonds are another quick meal along with a banana and some milk.

Urchina
6-3-11, 1:47am
For me, it's a microwaved baked potato, a scrambled egg, and sliced tomatoes with finely chopped onions and a little bit of mayo on top.

Or soup. I make big batches and freeze it in individual servings in the freezer. Soup and crackers makes a great meal.

Miss Minimalist
6-3-11, 6:11pm
Canned chick peas -- dump in a bowl, pop in the microwave for 30 secs, finish with a drizzle of olive oil and Italian seasoning. Add some chopped fresh spinach if you have some on hand.

SiouzQ.
6-3-11, 8:55pm
Tonight I had a toasted pumpernickel rye sandwich with mayo, tomato slices, thin red onion slices, and persian cucumber. It was so good I need to refrain from having another!

Wildflower
6-4-11, 4:36am
You all are making me hungry!! ;) It all sounds so good...

Rogar
6-4-11, 9:00am
Granola and yogurt or popcorn are popular with me when I don't feel like having a full meal. I also will make up 8 or 10 burritos at a time, wrap them individually and freeze them to be microwaved later. My basic recipe is canned refried beans with cheese and maybe a little meat, but have discovered enough variations to avoid being boring. If I'm ambitious I'll do the refried beans from dried pinto or black beans. It's also a good place to sneek in a few left overs like rice or veggies. A little salsa for topping.

babr
6-4-11, 5:21pm
boy greg I love your choices! but yes the weight for me would be an issue

snacks; corn chips; dh has cornchips and salsa; because its summer; watermelon; if i am eating healthy; it would be a salad; greens from the coop with a can of tuna mixed in

and candy! if i am not staying on my salisylate free diet

SoSimple
6-5-11, 1:23pm
Corn chips and salsa.
Fruit. Sometimes dark chocolate covered dried fruit (or ginger).

I usually have frozen chickpeas and/or brown rice on hand: both are very good mixed with salsa also.

Lunch at work (where I have minimal time and am often working straight through) is generally hummus on wholewheat toast with a tomato or two. Maybe some cucumber or sprouts if I have them.

I generally have a can or two of soup and a can of chickpeas/baked beans on hand for really rushed weeknights.
I make extensive use of frozen vegetables during the week, so almost all my weeknight meals have minimal prep time and take no more time than 1/2 hour from opening the cupboard to sitting down to eat.

Tiam
1-15-17, 12:53am
Toast has been taking on an appeal to me. Something I ate when i was young, but haven't so much lately. I like the hearty whole grain kind by itself with butter and a cup of tea when I'm just not up to making a damn thing and just need something. But toast is also great to add to, and then it can be other kinds of breads too. Tomato sauce and cheese. Toasted cheese. Rarebit. A poached or scrambled egg on top. or a fried egg sandwich takes only a few minutes .Avocado slices. Peanut butter. Cashew butter. Cream cheese. Hummus. Nutella if you care for it...(to me it tastes like cake frosting from a jar!) honey and butter. Jam. Cinnamon and sugar. Soft cheese and sundried tomatoes or pesto if you have an open jar. Toast with melted bleu cheese. toast and artichoke dip. white bean dip. baked beans, marmi Toast made with broiled tomatoe slices and some presh parm , "gentleman's butter" . Home made cheese spread made with cream cheese, shredded hard cheese, some herbs and spices and chopped toasted walnuts. all sorts of things. I'm learning to rediscover toast.

JaneV2.0
1-15-17, 11:07am
I generally have cold cuts--a meat and cheese plate with olives or nuts or (lately) artichoke tapenade. Maybe deviled eggs.

Tiam
1-16-17, 2:29am
I generally have cold cuts--a meat and cheese plate with olives or nuts or (lately) artichoke tapenade. Maybe deviled eggs.

I do something like that when I have a really good cheese and good meats. Olives. Crackers, Hummus. cut up veggies.

Tiam
1-16-17, 2:30am
Also Guacamole is fast and healthy and tasty.

JaneV2.0
1-16-17, 10:40am
Also Guacamole is fast and healthy and tasty.

And a good source of potassium, too!

printslicker
2-20-17, 8:18am
Toast and cheese and apple.

MsPlush
2-21-17, 2:59pm
Toasted peanut butter sandwich.

Has to be toasted because I use the Loblaws' ancient grains bread that can't be left bagged on the counter for more than 2 days because it will odds-on start growing mold...as I don't use it that fast, it goes sliced into the freezer, for thawing in the toaster as needed.

Float On
2-21-17, 3:13pm
Toast has been taking on an appeal to me. Something I ate when i was young, but haven't so much lately. I like the hearty whole grain kind by itself with butter and a cup of tea when I'm just not up to making a damn thing and just need something. But toast is also great to add to, and then it can be other kinds of breads too. Tomato sauce and cheese. Toasted cheese. Rarebit. A poached or scrambled egg on top. or a fried egg sandwich takes only a few minutes .Avocado slices. Peanut butter. Cashew butter. Cream cheese. Hummus. Nutella if you care for it...(to me it tastes like cake frosting from a jar!) honey and butter. Jam. Cinnamon and sugar. Soft cheese and sundried tomatoes or pesto if you have an open jar. Toast with melted bleu cheese. toast and artichoke dip. white bean dip. baked beans, marmi Toast made with broiled tomatoe slices and some presh parm , "gentleman's butter" . Home made cheese spread made with cream cheese, shredded hard cheese, some herbs and spices and chopped toasted walnuts. all sorts of things. I'm learning to rediscover toast.

Apparently toast is really a big thing now. I know our local power coffee shop (coffees, power milkshakes, and protein toast) is really busy on Saturdays with all the long distance bike riders stopping by for toast and milkshake.

MaryHu
2-22-17, 1:50am
Pesto pita pizza. Spread pesto on whole wheat pita top with feta, olives etc and pop into toaster oven.
Baked or microwaved potato topped with canned veggie chili and some shredded cheese. If I have some plain lowfat yogurt I'll throw that on too in place of sour cream. Can also add salsa and cilantro if you have it on hand.
Nachos made with tortills chips, canned refried beans and homemade canned salsa. Throw in some avocado slices if available and some plain lowfat yogurt.
If I have some leftover cooked pasta I'll add a TB of butter and sprinkle on some garlic powder, parmesan cheese and italian herb blend and microwave for a minute and mix.
Fruit salad, we always have a few different fruits on hand.

MaryHu
2-22-17, 1:51am
Toast with peanut butter and apple slices or applesauce!

Tiam
2-23-17, 11:08pm
I really didn't feel like cooking tonight. Hummus, crackers and feta.

Tussiemussies
2-24-17, 8:31pm
Non-fat Stoneyfield yogurt mixed with Stevia, cocoa and vanilla. Then topped with frozen cherries that I also mix in...that was dinner tonight! LOL!

sweetana3
2-25-17, 5:46am
Yoghurt is my go to easy meal. I often put in some of my homemade granola for chewiness.

Tiam
2-26-17, 2:28am
tonight I opened a bag of organic pinto beans....tossed some shredded cheddar onto a pan of tortilla chips and tossed it in the oven to melt. Poured a bit of warmed salsa and chopped onions. Voila! Nachos.

Tiam
2-26-17, 2:30am
Apparently toast is really a big thing now. I know our local power coffee shop (coffees, power milkshakes, and protein toast) is really busy on Saturdays with all the long distance bike riders stopping by for toast and milkshake.

Oh, is it becoming an "IT" food? Like beets and kale and cupcakes?

printslicker
3-7-17, 10:52pm
cereal or fruit

Gardnr
3-8-17, 8:26pm
Cheese quesadilla.

iris lilies
3-9-17, 7:16pm
Oh, is it becoming an "IT" food? Like beets and kale and cupcakes?
DH is going out tonight for a community garden meeting at "Milquetoast" a new hipster restaurant that is all about toast.

BikingLady
5-17-17, 12:10pm
Iris lilies, how was the Toast restaurant?? Sounds like the cereal restaurant I saw on a show once.

BikingLady
5-17-17, 12:11pm
I sadly stand in front of cupboard and munch, if I do not plan. Crackers and whatever seem to over take me and better hop no chocolate chip cookies are in the jar.

JaneV2.0
5-17-17, 12:59pm
I rarely feel like cooking >:( , but one has to do what one has to do. I fantasize about living somewhere like New York, where ethnic restaurants deliver...
That said, I had deviled eggs, cold bacon, herbed cheese, and olives for breakfast.

BikingLady
5-17-17, 2:39pm
Ok being honest here, two weeks ago and this is very simple living for me as it is only my husband I cook for, one serving at a time when he is back from work travel. I do not eat the same food as him. I started getting him take out 5 nights a week. This is good healthy food from a cool little order out place. I order online and pick it up on my bike route. Cost wise it is very economical for one. This week was Duck and Morrell on a lovely rice, Skirt steak dinner, Roast. I feel lazy but it is so simple.

They do not do vegetarian but salads so I do not order for myself.

catherine
5-17-17, 3:48pm
Ok being honest here, two weeks ago and this is very simple living for me as it is only my husband I cook for, one serving at a time when he is back from work travel. I do not eat the same food as him. I started getting him take out 5 nights a week. This is good healthy food from a cool little order out place. I order online and pick it up on my bike route. Cost wise it is very economical for one. This week was Duck and Morrell on a lovely rice, Skirt steak dinner, Roast. I feel lazy but it is so simple.

They do not do vegetarian but salads so I do not order for myself.

I think that if it works for you, that's great. Having one meat eater and one vegetarian is a complicating factor in meal planning. I have almost given up on my own vegetarianism because of it, although I'll try to only eat humanely raised poultry and beef. DH is not on the same page with this, and feels that paying premium prices for local meat providers whose animals have good quality of life is a waste of money. I try to explain that if you are eating consciously chances are a lot of money is being freed up for grassfed/free-range whatever, but it doesn't compute.

rosarugosa
5-17-17, 5:18pm
cheese

Chicken lady
5-18-17, 8:09am
Catherine, I have a long list of vegetarian meals that dh considers "a good side dish". I pair them with a pork chop, chicken breast, or hamburger and he is happy.

Yppej
5-18-17, 7:35pm
It is rare for me to spend more than 5 or 10 minutes making something to eat. Eggs are my morning staple, scrambled with something else. After that salad preferably made with precut greens, soup, vegetarian deli items, stir fries of vegetables with or without quinoa or rice, yogurt, nuts, baked potatoes with chives (I do other things while they are cooking), cottage cheese, pizza as a treat, vegetarian frozen microwaveable foods - Amy's pot pies, eggplant parmesan, plantains. In the winter when it's cold out I spend more time because I Iike the heat of the oven, but still keep it simple with things like hash browns on a cookie sheet, or beets roasted in olive oil, or stew whole canned tomatoes on the stovetop with herbs. I only eat candy and desserts at work or visiting my parents.

bicyclist
6-11-17, 5:08pm
I like eggs scrambled with peppers and any seasonal vegetables available here (S.E. PA) Chili Beans with a little seasoning and leftovers throw in too. I second the suggestion of hummus with pita bread. It's good with tomatos, cucumbers and onions added.

rosarugosa
6-11-17, 6:56pm
Tonight we had my go-to "fancy" salad for dinner: lettuce, strawberries, beets, walnuts, goat cheese and blood orange olive oil. The olive oil is a wonderful thing in itself, by the way. DH actually had requested this because the strawberries are in season and so delicious lately.

beckyliz
6-30-17, 11:55am
I've started buying the spicy black bean burgers from Morningstar Farms. I don't generally buy a pre-packaged foods, but these are tasty, easy to prepare and weight-watcher's friendly.

iris lilies
10-22-17, 1:27pm
I finally have a vegan dish that tastes like something! falafel tortillas! And I now have a reason to to to Trader Joe's. I had this dish in the airport in Bucharesti.

Ingrediants:

1 Trader Joe's Frozen falafel

1 tortilla (I use small, Mission brand whole wheat tortillas)

mint sauce: home made from garden mint,cilantro, garlic, lemon juice, salt

Instructions:

Microwave the Falafel, smash it onto the tortilla, add mint sauce. Done! This is 5 Weight Watchers' points.

One could add diced tomatoes, I suppose, but I like the the fact that this is one dish without tomatoe. We have tomatoe overload here (bushels.)

Tybee
10-22-17, 3:20pm
We are thawing and reheating soup I made last week when I cleaned out my husband's bean bed. We grew everything in the soup except the onion, and gleaned the last of cabbage leaves, carrots, collards, bean pods,cherry tomatoes, last of the red fingerling potatoes, the first of the frozen tomato puree from when I was processing a zillion tomatoes. When I make soup, I freeze at least two more containers and then have dinner and lunch next day.