PDA

View Full Version : I Retired!

Rachel
6-30-19, 1:39pm
Did it. As of a week ago. After 40 years of professional full time work, it is straaaange. I'm both thrilled and a little nervous. It is a whole new mindset and lifestyle for me. It seemed like my emotions and resilience aged out very suddenly.

Thank goodness the money is Ok and my health is fine--I just can't work those 50+ hours. Would love to find a part time job if I can find the right fit.

Bottom line: :0!:)

Yppej
6-30-19, 1:48pm
Good for you. It seems like everyone is retiring.

Simplemind
6-30-19, 1:50pm
Welcome to the club!! It is a mind shift for sure. Took me awhile to unplug but it was so much better for me.

JaneV2.0
6-30-19, 2:26pm
I've always been retired in my mind, so it wasn't much of a change for me. :~)

I've appreciated every minute of my retirement, and am grateful every day. I'm sure your new life will be an adventure!

razz
6-30-19, 2:28pm
My advice if I may be so bold - Be a much smarter person than I was. I went from running in my job to running in volunteering. After three years, I quit everything in which I was a volunteer and finally came to terms with retirement. I slowly over the years have come back to a few favourite volunteer roles but even now have no difficulty saying no if too much is being asked of me.

SteveinMN
6-30-19, 3:17pm
I went from running in my job to running in volunteering. After three years, I quit everything in which I was a volunteer and finally came to terms with retirement. I slowly over the years have come back to a few favourite volunteer roles but even now have no difficulty saying no if too much is being asked of me.
Good advice. At first retirement seems like the longest staycation you've ever taken and then you realize you never need to go back. It's a big change and deserving of a little time and thought before you start The Race 2.0 (or even 3.0). You should have plenty of time for whatever you think should come next.

rosarugosa
6-30-19, 7:12pm
Congratulations, Rachel!

Rachel
7-1-19, 6:51am
Thanks for the good wishes and the tips. I am grateful beyond words that I can do this.

Gardnr
7-1-19, 7:28am
My sister, who retired 6 years ago today, said don't "do" anything for 6 months. Don't sign up, don't volunteer, don't apply don't anything. Do what you feel like with each day. Because anything that comes up that sounds fun or good to you, you can say YES to! That's my plan.

I hope week 2 is FABULOUS!!!!

Reyes
7-2-19, 12:29am
Wonderful wishes for this next chapter!

dado potato
7-2-19, 1:58am
Like Reyes said, this is the next chapter. Holey Moley! Be Well!