PDA

View Full Version : Cannabis questions?

Ultralight
7-27-19, 7:05pm
To those of you that live in free states and take part in cannabis usage, I have a question. When you smoke, vape, eat, etc. your cannabis does it make you more likely to drink alcohol?

rosarugosa
7-28-19, 6:16am
UL: My DH is a regular consumer of cannabis and his consumption of alcohol has greatly decreased over the years, so I think it does not.

catherine
7-28-19, 8:38am
My DH's doctor prescribed medical marijuana to DH so that he would drink less (substituting one intoxicant for another)

JaneV2.0
7-28-19, 10:59am
I rarely indulge because I haven't yet found the right strain--I'm looking for a CBD-dominant one--and I just as rarely drink. I have a half-empty pint my SO brought me two years ago that I have a shot of occasionally, so I would say--for me--no. Also, cannabis no longer stimulates my appetite as it did when I was younger. Win-win.

Simplemind
7-28-19, 8:09pm
No but I'm mostly using for sleep. I generally have a glass of wine with dinner and that would never change. I'm really not a drinker outside of that.

Ultralight
7-29-19, 9:50pm
As Cannabis becomes legal I have considered using it to treat my depression and anxiety.

I have been depressed since the summer of 1979, and I am tired of it.

JaneV2.0
7-30-19, 9:46am
As Cannabis becomes legal I have considered using it to treat my depression and anxiety.

A relative who suffers from depression likes Harlequin and Harley-tsu (vaped), but I don't know if that's for depression or pain.

https://www.leafly.com/news/strains-products/best-cannabis-strains-for-depression

iris lilies
7-30-19, 10:08am

Is that now used for depression? I thought it was a depressive itself.

Rogar
7-30-19, 11:32am
Reports I hear are that it reduces the use or tendency for alcohol consumption. I was reading the other day that beer analysts have attributed declining sales of a few of the big brands to the legalization of pot. I'm sure there are people with issues that can abuse both equally well.

Humble opinion, but I think pot's use for any medicinal purposes is overstated. I know of people into their 90's who use it as a sleep aid and for some minor pain relief. And an appetite stimulant. Otherwise I think it is much like Granny's rheumatism medicine from the jug.

Ultralight
7-30-19, 12:10pm
Is that now used for depression? I thought it was a depressive itself.
I think it is a mild hallucinogenic.

Ultralight
7-30-19, 12:17pm
Reports I hear are that it reduces the use or tendency for alcohol consumption. I was reading the other day that beer analysts have attributed declining sales of a few of the big brands to the legalization of pot. I'm sure there are people with issues that can abuse both equally well.

Humble opinion, but I think pot's use for any medicinal purposes is overstated. I know of people into their 90's who use it as a sleep aid and for some minor pain relief. And an appetite stimulant. Otherwise I think it is much like Granny's rheumatism medicine from the jug.

You might be right. You might also be wrong, as there is not a lot of research on it.

I am just getting tired of white knuckling it.

I have done and/or continue to do: meditation, therapy, nature time, exercise, eating veggies (This is the worst, could it be making my depression worse!?), and so on.

But I started thinking: My life is halfway over. Why not try something that might make me happy on the weekends?

JaneV2.0
7-30-19, 12:26pm

Tell that to children whose seizures have either stopped or almost stopped with applications of strains like Charlotte's Web. Sanjay Gupta did an excellent two-part series--probably still available on YouTube--expounding on its medical value.

There are many, many strains of cannabis, each with different attributes, which also depend on mode of ingestion. Because of our current laws, we haven't been able to study it--I hope that's changing. In my opinion, Cannabis holds much more promise than the average Pharma drug, to which Granny is probably addicted.

Ultralight
7-30-19, 12:33pm
Tell that to children whose seizures have either stopped or almost stopped with applications of strains like Charlotte's Web. Sanjay Gupta did an excellent two-part series--probably still available on YouTube--expounding on its medical value.

There are many, many strains of cannabis, each with different attributes, which also depend on mode of ingestion. Because of our current laws, we haven't been able to study it--I hope that's changing. In my opinion, Cannabis holds much more promise than the average Pharma drug, to which Granny is probably addicted.

I agree we should be studying it. But I also just think it should be legal for adults to use for recreation. I think in 5 years there will be a cascade of legalization across the US.

I am nervous about trying it. When I was 13 I smoked some Jamaican bunk reefer that found its way through my tiny town and it made me an incorrigible jerk. Who'd imagine that? Right? hahaha

But I was 13 and who knows what was in that crap.

I have watched videos of people using cannabis for the first time or first time decades. They do not seem to suffer reefer madness. They laugh, smile, joke around.

A close family member uses cannabis edibles for severe nerve pain. She says it helps a great deal, and that it just feels good to be high.

JaneV2.0
7-30-19, 12:37pm
You might be right. You might also be wrong, as there is not a lot of research on it.

I am just getting tired of white knuckling it.

I have done and/or continue to do: meditation, therapy, nature time, exercise, eating veggies (This is the worst, could it be making my depression worse!?), and so on.

But I started thinking: My life is halfway over. Why not try something that might make me happy on the weekends?

You may be onto something--vegetarians/vegans tend to score higher on measures of depression. Whether this reflects the chicken or the egg remains to be seen. You might try a carnivore diet for a couple of weeks to see if it has any effect.

Ultralight
7-30-19, 12:42pm
You might try a carnivore diet for a couple of weeks to see if it has any effect.
I have tried high meat diets before. I did not like it. Made my belly hurt!

I am 40. I have been vegetarian a total of about 10 of those years.

I eat a dozen raw oysters each week to supplement my vegetarian diet.

Rogar
7-30-19, 2:10pm

You are right about Charlotte's Web. I stand corrected, but in my defense I did not say that the medical promises are bogus, just overstated. I'd still hold to the idea that a lot of people use cannabis for a whole rage of ailments, and that at least some of the positive results are due to the placebo effect or that the person is just high. I read one account of a person who was using it for some sort of arm pain and he reported that it really didn't seem to help the pain but he sort of forgot that he had an arm. Since the various government research places have had trouble even possessing pot to do research up until recently, therefore there is a lot yet to be learned or verified.

Matter of fact, I'd say if UL wants to try it to improve his mental attitude, it's probably a whole lot safer than anything a doctor might prescribe. I've come to think of pot as a whole lot better for a person and a society than alcohol, but it has an unjustifiable social stigma. When it comes to alcohol, I've seen the needle and the damage done. But they are both drugs and both have some associated health risks and they both can impair a clear thought process.

catherine
7-30-19, 2:32pm
I had a few bucks cash lingering in E*Trade and so I just bought a few shares of two cannabis stocks, just for the fun of it. I have faith that it will be a growth industry--I just hope I picked the right players!

Simplemind
7-30-19, 6:14pm
Back in the day it seemed like weed was weed. Now it is mind boggling how many strains there are and how terpene profiles are used to fine tune a strain to your needs. It isn't just a choice between sativa or indica anymore. I know for a fact that a lot of people who have been dependent on opioids and benzos are using cannabis to get off their meds to great success. UL you might want to go to Leafly and use their little quiz to find what strains would be beneficial to your particular needs. They also have a lot of great articles.

Ultralight
7-30-19, 6:35pm
Back in the day it seemed like weed was weed. Now it is mind boggling how many strains there are and how terpene profiles are used to fine tune a strain to your needs. It isn't just a choice between sativa or indica anymore. I know for a fact that a lot of people who have been dependent on opioids and benzos are using cannabis to get off their meds to great success. UL you might want to go to Leafly and use their little quiz to find what strains would be beneficial to your particular needs. They also have a lot of great articles.

Link to that quiz?

Simplemind
7-30-19, 6:45pm
Go to Leafly, it is one of the search features.

JaneV2.0
7-31-19, 9:51am
You are right about Charlotte's Web. I stand corrected, but in my defense I did not say that the medical promises are bogus, just overstated. I'd still hold to the idea that a lot of people use cannabis for a whole rage of ailments, and that at least some of the positive results are due to the placebo effect or that the person is just high. I read one account of a person who was using it for some sort of arm pain and he reported that it really didn't seem to help the pain but he sort of forgot that he had an arm. Since the various government research places have had trouble even possessing pot to do research up until recently, therefore there is a lot yet to be learned or verified.

Matter of fact, I'd say if UL wants to try it to improve his mental attitude, it's probably a whole lot safer than anything a doctor might prescribe. I've come to think of pot as a whole lot better for a person and a society than alcohol, but it has an unjustifiable social stigma. When it comes to alcohol, I've seen the needle and the damage done. But they are both drugs and both have some associated health risks and they both can impair a clear thought process.

Placebo--the very best kind of drug, IMO. No side effects but relief.
To mangle Voltaire "The job of the physician is to keep the patient occupied while the body heals itself."

And i agree that alcohol and opiates are much more destructive. Alcohol seems to be a sacrament among much of the middle class, which bodes no good for future health outcomes. And where opioids face tacit disapproval, alcohol is roundly celebrated.

Ultralight
9-12-19, 9:26pm
A friend of mine, a fellow teetotaler, went to Alberta for a vacation recently. She tried cannabis there for her migraines. She was with her boyfriend. He gave her two edibles and she freaked out. She apparently alternated between laughing hysterically and an crying all over the place. She also told her boyfriend all her secret fears about him -- like that he would never propose.

She said that emotionally it was like her own personal hell.

But it immediately wiped away the migraine!

Rogar
9-12-19, 11:14pm
Sounds like an overdose to me.

Ultralight
9-13-19, 7:39am
Sounds like an overdose to me.

I thought it was impossible to OD on cannabis.

Rogar
9-13-19, 9:36am
I thought it was impossible to OD on cannabis.

Physically, but too much can give someone a something like a bad trip, especially for someone whose not tried it much. It's been it's been warned about in the news papers here, i think mostly as emergency room visits for panic attacks. From what little I know about the candies, they taste good and go down easy, but one or a half is often the usual dose.

pinkytoe
9-13-19, 9:54am
I read one account of a person who was using it for some sort of arm pain and he reported that it really didn't seem to help the pain but he sort of forgot that he had an arm.
This made me laugh. DH used to be a daily pot smoker back in the day. Back then, I noted that it seemed to be a motivation killer. He gave it up over a decade ago and has not increased alcohol consumption - now a very moderate drinker - a couple of beers on the weekend or an occasional glass of red wine. The smell of current weed makes us both wretch since our neighbors on two sides smoke their little pipes in the backyard.

Rogar
9-13-19, 11:17am
Yes, much of my pot observations are from the '70's scene, but I think there may be some who have been given the impression that it is harmless. There may not be too many adverse physical issues, but a person can still grow dependent or otherwise abuse it. I think there are some behavioral changes for people who use it routinely and a big one is demotivation. I suspect it is the reason why my college room mate took ten years to get a bachelor's degree. I think any impressions that it makes one smarter or more creative are mostly illusion while under the influence.

I have a friend who supplies his 92 year old mother with infused gummy bears with her doctors permission. As the account goes she has one before bedtime and has been able to sleep well and has been able to quit her pre bedtime pain medication. I suppose it has some value either medically or for infrequent recreational use.

I'd find that neighbors who use it outside routinely offensive, too!

Ultralight
9-13-19, 1:31pm
I go back and forth about trying it when it becomes legal here.

One the one hand, I am tired of never havin' no fun!

On the other hand, I don't want it to change me.

razz
9-13-19, 2:38pm
Well, it is now legal in Canada and neither I nor my kids nor my peers can see why anyone would want to try it. What is wrong with being oneself and comfortable with oneself? If it is used as a pain med in lieu of some other pain-relieving drug, it may make sense. I would prefer to go 'nature bathing' in the woods or trails.
I am a teetotaler and cannabis is just another drug. Yes, it stinks as well.

Tybee
9-13-19, 5:09pm
I didn't like it when I tried it as a teenager or young adult, and so I wouldn't smoke it or eat it, but legalization is certainly coming, so if someone wants to use it, that's fine.

I don't think it will make anyone have more fun, unfortunately.

pinkytoe
9-13-19, 5:32pm
When I was in my early 20s, I ate some pot brownies at a party (never did like to smoke it). I felt horrible and panic-stricken for about 24 hours. I think those of us who are more sensitive to drugs in general should be careful with it.

JaneV2.0
9-13-19, 5:46pm
I don't know why anyone would want to try rock climbing or BASE jumping or team sports or ballroom dancing, but people do. Adults altering their consciousness for brief periods of time (in countless ways) is hardly revolutionary, and it rarely renders you permanently impaired--except for BASE jumping, which will eventually kill you). Even animals do it, snacking on mushrooms and fermented fruit. The "I don't need to get high to enjoy life" posts are making me understand what people mean when they talk of "virtue signaling." Caffeine. alcohol, running, sex, meditation, yoga, etc. all alter your consciousness. So does a good book. Maybe one's consciousness is supposed to be altered regularly. What a concept.

razz
9-13-19, 6:13pm
I had no idea what 'virtue signaling' meant so Googled it. Among many somewhat humorous answers I found this one that is more explanatory:
Question: "What is virtue signaling?"

Answer: Virtue signaling is a relatively new term (early 2000s) that can be defined as the expression of a “moral” opinion on a subject meant to make one look like a “good person” to a specific group of people. An example of virtue signaling might be when a person criticizes a form of dress, calling it improper or immodest, in order to look virtuous to a religious group. Or virtue signaling could take the form of posting a charitable gift receipt on Facebook to show yourself as a generous person. Virtue signaling is also used by politicians in order to gain support.

I thought that I was just expressing a personal opinion of lack of comprehension of using cannabis. My kids and peers and I have talked about it because it is getting a lot of attention with the poor planning that went into the legalization. Same question kept coming up - if not for pain relief, why use it? We have not received an answer beyond that it is something like alcohol and other drugs for relaxation. I think that it is a fad that will fade with time but that is just my opinion. I don't feel superior or inferior with that opinion.

Tybee
9-13-19, 6:37pm
yeah, I don't see virtue signaling, just some reports from the field from people who tried and and didn't like it, and maybe some appreciation for pain relief aspects?

JaneV2.0
9-13-19, 6:42pm
Conservatives seem to use "virtue signaling" a lot.

Cannabis is here to stay; it's been around forever. And friends who use it for sleeping and pain control swear by it.

I'm not sure why anyone should need to justify their use of it, or any other substance/activity mentioned above. Except for BASE jumping. The documentary 20 Seconds of Joy (should be subtitled "and months of rehab") made me marvel at the human capacity for risk-taking.

Ultralight
9-13-19, 7:10pm

Cannabis is here to stay; it's been around forever. And friends who use it for sleeping and pain control swear by it.

I'm not sure why anyone should need to justify their use of it, or any other substance/activity mentioned above. Except for BASE jumping. The documentary 20 Seconds of Joy (should be subtitled "and months of rehab") made me marvel at the human capacity for risk-taking.

One of my absolute closest friends is a base jumper. And she has been dinged up bad too and needed surgery and physical therapy. But she gets right back out there! I admire her for it. She loves it and that love for such risk and thrill is what makes her who she is. I encourage her to chase her dreams and jump to her heart's desire.

razz
9-13-19, 8:24pm
Had to find out what 'base jumping' entailed so am sharing my research link: https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-base-jumping.htm

"BASE jumping is an extreme sport in which a person parachutes from a fixed object. The term BASE is an acronym for Buildings, Antennas, Spans, and Earth, referring to the objects that provide the jump platform. It differs from skydiving in that it happens at a lower altitude and airspeed, and the jump occurs close to a jump platform.

Most BASE jumps occur at altitudes of less than 2,000 feet (610 m), but usually no less than 200 feet (61 m). A typical jump from 500 feet (152 m) is about 5.6 seconds to the ground if the chute doesn’t open. This height provides the jumper with only about 10 to 15 seconds of ride time with an open chute. Adrenaline junkies love the danger involved with the short distance, and there’s no room for mistakes or accidents.

The earliest recorded BASE jump was by Frederick Law, who jumped from the Statue of Liberty in 1912. Brian Schubert made El Capitan in Yosemite National Park a “must-jump” in 1966. The sport has been glamorized in numerous movies, including James Bond and XXX.

Film maker Carl Boenish was perhaps the most instrumental in bringing BASE jumping to the mainstream consciousness. In fact, it was Boenish who coined the term BASE, and he filmed several jumps that inspired many to take the leap themselves. He died doing what he loved, on a jump in Norway in 1984.

The excitement of a jump comes from its inherent danger. A BASE jumper gives up the “safety margins” that come with a jump at high altitudes from an airplane. The parachute system must open quickly at lower airspeeds, and due to the short duration of the jump, there is no time for a reserve chute..."

JaneV2.0
9-14-19, 11:17am
In the film, Karina's coach warns her that she may see her friends die, and she might very well die herself, or be seriously injured. I guess that added to the thrill somehow.

catherine
9-14-19, 11:59am

Yeah, virtue signaling is odious when used by secularists, but imperative when used by the religious. Secular "virtue signaling" is looked down upon by the same people who kill doctors who perform abortions, refuse to sell products to people whose lifestyles they don't personally subscribe to, and cherry pick the "worthy." Where is Christ when we need Him?

Ultralight
9-14-19, 12:16pm
Where is Christ when we need Him?
This should be two questions.
1. Where is Christ?
2. Do we need him?

My answers would be:
1. In you all's imaginations.
2. No.

iris lilies
9-14-19, 1:40pm
...I thought that I was just expressing a personal opinion of lack of comprehension of using cannabis. My kids and peers and I have talked about it because it is getting a lot of attention with the poor planning that went into the legalization. Same question kept coming up - if not for pain relief, why use it? We have not received an answer beyond that it is something like alcohol and other drugs for relaxation. I think that it is a fad that will fade with time but that is just my opinion. I don't feel superior or inferior with that opinion.

There is no way I think that use of weed is a fad that will fade with time. It’s been around for decades.

As for the phrase “virtue signaling “I like it I think it’s funny and I think it’s accurate to describe some behavior.

I think virtue signaling came into being when so many of us started having so many discussions online. The first one to jump in to express a thought expects others to Recognize her as the good person who carries out Correct Think.

I guess I think of virtue signal as people who have not had these opinions for very long. They are probably not deeply held convictions of long-standing, are not especially well developed.

catherine
9-14-19, 2:16pm
My kids and peers and I have talked about it because it is getting a lot of attention with the poor planning that went into the legalization. Same question kept coming up - if not for pain relief, why use it? We have not received an answer beyond that it is something like alcohol and other drugs for relaxation.

Exactly... and alcohol is completely legal, whereas people are thrown in jail for minor infractions with regard to marijuana possession. My DH has medical reasons for getting prescribed cannabis, but I'd much rather he smoke weed than drink. I don't have any reason to believe that the use of cannabis is a fad any more than alcohol is, which as been around since the dawn of time, as have other psychoactive drugs.

Keep in mind, that I'm an occasional drinker, and I hate smoking weed (haven't done it for 40 years, and could count on one hand the number of times I've smoked in my life, and I've never done else anything mind-altering other than caffeine.) But I defend the right of others to smoke or indulge in edibles or whatever. I don't personally think it's a fad. I think its time has come.

JaneV2.0
9-14-19, 3:16pm
Medical cannabis is long-established:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_medical_cannabis