PDA

View Full Version : Jobless & Homeless or starting a new life near Chicago

Ultralight
8-9-19, 4:35pm
Now I am officially jobless for (at least) 9 days. I will be homeless on Sunday (hopefully for no more than a few days).

The plan is to drive to IL on Sunday, spend Monday checking out apartments, signing a lease, etc. and then driving back to OH on Tuesday to get my stuff and Harlan.
Then Wednesday morning I will drive back to IL and move into my apartment.

We'll see how it goes.

Teacher Terry
8-9-19, 6:03pm
Apartments in Illinois are very dog friendly.

rosarugosa
8-10-19, 6:26am
Wow, you must be feeling ultra, ultra, ultra light!

razz
8-10-19, 8:41am

Well said and cute and, very likely, quite true. Enjoy the feeling of freedom for as long as it lasts, UL.

Rogar
8-10-19, 10:18am
Best wishes on the move. By my accounting, moving sort of sucks, but the adventure of a new home and job is exciting.

iris lilies
8-10-19, 10:40am

He is “ Have Dog, Will Travel.”

( for you youngsters this is a play on the old Paladin tv Western series.)

saguaro
8-13-19, 12:18pm
Hey there, UL on which side of Chicago is your new job? I live an hour straight north, almost to the WI state line.

LDAHL
8-14-19, 4:57pm
Hey there, UL on which side of Chicago is your new job? I live an hour straight north, almost to the WI state line.

I grew up in the Spring Grove/Fox Lake area back in the day. My dad worked out of Waukegan.

saguaro
8-15-19, 1:04pm
I grew up in the Spring Grove/Fox Lake area back in the day. My dad worked out of Waukegan.

Live about the midpoint between those two areas.

Teacher Terry
8-15-19, 2:49pm
I grew up in Kenosha for you local people.

Tradd
8-15-19, 9:57pm
I grew up in Kenosha for you local people.

Just behind the Cheddar Curtain! Do you still call IL people FIBS? :D

I'm in the NW burbs.

Teacher Terry
8-15-19, 10:18pm
I go home every few years and haven’t heard that in 30 years:))

Ultralight
8-19-19, 8:57pm
Still homeless. haha

Staying at an Air BnB out in the countryside. I hope to have an apartment by Wednesday.

LDAHL
8-20-19, 9:20am
I go home every few years and haven’t heard that in 30 years:))

I heard it yesterday, From my angry wife after she was cut off on the interstate.

LDAHL
8-20-19, 9:21am
Still homeless. haha

Staying at an Air BnB out in the countryside. I hope to have an apartment by Wednesday.

Will you be north, south or west of the city?

Tybee
8-20-19, 9:30am
The one I always liked in my 30 years in Chicago/Wisconsin area was "Illinoisances"

LDAHL
8-20-19, 10:40am
My wife has an uncle who’s fond of saying that Illinois begins at the Kenosha County line. Over the years, Kenosha has gone from a struggling old factory town to an outpost of the Chicago metro area. Whether that’s a good thing or a bad one, I don’t know.

Teacher Terry
8-20-19, 12:22pm
I grew up in Kenosha and raised my kids there for 14 years. When I was a kid there were so many good paying factory jobs that people commuted from near by communities for work. The town has done a great job at revitalizing the beautiful lakefront area. I am always amazed at how cheap everything is when I go home.

LDAHL
8-20-19, 1:26pm
American Motors used to have a huge presence there. The lakefront looks s lot nicer than when they used to ship steel there. I used to have a colleague in government there who said there were a lot or debates whether a given area was being revitalized of gentrified. Unless you’re into Rust Belt chic, I think they’ve generally improved over a few decades ago.

Teacher Terry
8-20-19, 5:20pm
My dad retired from AMC and had a good pension. He was a tool grinder before they wore any protective gear and by 45 was already having breathing problems. By 54 after working there over 30 years he had to take a disability retirement and couldn’t walk a block because of COPD. Kenosha looks much nicer than before. I couldn’t believe how cheap homes are there.

iris lilies
8-21-19, 12:21pm
Would Kenosha be where my late lamented AMC Gremlin was built?

When I win the lottery I’m going to buy a creampuff Gremlin, One that someone has preserved.

Teacher Terry
8-21-19, 12:49pm
Yes IL your gremlin was made there.

LDAHL
8-21-19, 12:49pm
Would Kenosha be where my late lamented AMC Gremlin was built?

When I win the lottery IÂ’m going to buy a creampuff Gremlin, One that someone has preserved.

My dad used to drive a Matador. My best friend inherited his dad’s Hornet.

The AMC Pacer was the coolest of all. Especially when you had a long whip antenna on top for your CB radio.

Teacher Terry
8-21-19, 12:55pm
I do miss walking along Lake Michigan daily on my walk. I don’t miss winter.

iris lilies
8-21-19, 4:47pm
My dad used to drive a Matador. My best friend inherited his dad’s Hornet.

The AMC Pacer was the coolest of all. Especially when you had a long whip antenna on top for your CB radio.
Pacers are SUPER cool!

JaneV2.0
8-21-19, 5:12pm
I kind of liked the Edsel.

pinkytoe
8-21-19, 5:41pm
My mom drove an ugly mint green Rambler station wagon when I was in middle school.

frugal-one
8-21-19, 5:52pm
My first car was a purple Gremlin.

Ultralight
8-28-19, 10:41pm
I am in the middle of week two at the new job. Seems like an improvement!

The past few weeks were hectic. I was driving back and forth from OH to IL and back.

I was living in an Air BnB for a while, then finally got a place. Then went back for Harlan.

Adjusting to small town life is going to be a mix of easy and arduous.

There is no anonymity here.

Teacher Terry
8-28-19, 10:47pm
How small is the town?

Ultralight
8-28-19, 10:48pm
How small is the town?

43k, if you include the 17k students.

Ultralight
8-28-19, 10:48pm
Seems like mostly Cubs fans here.

Tammy
8-28-19, 10:54pm
Enjoy this new adventure!

iris lilies
8-28-19, 11:36pm
Seems like mostly Cubs fans here.
Well, duuuoh!

Teacher Terry
8-29-19, 12:44am
My dad loved his Cubbies but never saw them win. Yes that’s a small town.

Tradd
8-29-19, 6:44am
43K pop? I have a pretty good idea where you are, UL.

LDAHL
8-29-19, 9:29am
I would guess DeKalb and NIU. That's not that far from civilization.

Ultralight
8-29-19, 8:45pm
No comment on my exact locality. :moon:

mschrisgo2
8-29-19, 11:06pm
Ultralight, glad you got a place and have Harlan with you now. Also happy to hear the job is an improvement!

43000, I lived in a town that size for 10 years, then it grew like crazy. I liked it smaller. I taught there and enjoyed running into students and their parents around town. Especially the kids who were young enough to be amazed that their teachers went grocery shopping! I think some of them really did think we slept at school, lol

Ultralight
8-29-19, 11:23pm
Ultralight, glad you got a place and have Harlan with you now. Also happy to hear the job is an improvement!

43000, I lived in a town that size for 10 years, then it grew like crazy. I liked it smaller. I taught there and enjoyed running into students and their parents around town. Especially the kids who were young enough to be amazed that their teachers went grocery shopping! I think some of them really did think we slept at school, lol

Parent-teacher conferences in the cereal aisle!

SteveinMN
8-30-19, 4:37am
Congratulations on the new place, UL -- and good luck on the adjustment phase!

Teacher Terry
8-30-19, 11:16am
Kenosha was 80k and I would run into my clients many places when I was a social worker. I prefer a bigger town.

LDAHL
9-3-19, 5:06pm
What I like about the Kenosha area is the fact that you can be way out in the empty field hinterland and see a sign for 224th Street. Now that’s ambition.

I also like the Kringle.

Teacher Terry
9-3-19, 6:53pm
The Kringle is awesome!

LDAHL
9-5-19, 8:40am
The Kenosha Cheese Castle is pretty great too.

Tradd
9-5-19, 10:40am
Mars Cheese Castle to be exact. :D

LDAHL
9-5-19, 11:13am
Mars Cheese Castle to be exact. :D

We always called it the Kenosha castle because that was our idea of where the Chicago metro region began. “Reach KCC and FIBs there’ll be”.

Tybee
9-5-19, 12:27pm
Aw, you guys are making me homesick. We used to drive to Wisconsin a lot to get out of Illinois!

LDAHL
9-5-19, 12:46pm
I was born in Chicago, where “up north” began somewhere around Half Day Road. When I first moved to WI, I thought I was “up north”, but the further north I move the further up the definition of up north seems to be.

Teacher Terry
9-5-19, 1:39pm
The last time I was home I realized I couldn’t live there again even though I have many good friends there. I am so used to having something going on all the time right in town without having to drive anywhere.

frugal-one
9-5-19, 1:58pm
Just behind the Cheddar Curtain! Do you still call IL people FIBS? :D

I'm in the NW burbs.

Yes, but more commonly flatlanders.

LDAHL
9-5-19, 2:59pm
The last time I was home I realized I couldn’t live there again even though I have many good friends there. I am so used to having something going on all the time right in town without having to drive anywhere.

You want something going on? In my little 35k pop town we are celebrating Sputnik Fest this weekend. It commemorates a chunk of a Sputnik satellite crashing into 8th and Park many years ago. There will be music and food and an alien pet parade. We also have a Miss Space Debris pageant. You don’t need huge crowds for culture.

Teacher Terry
9-5-19, 4:17pm
The pet parade would be the highlight for me:))

Gardnr
9-5-19, 6:08pm
I was born in Chicago, where “up north” began somewhere around Half Day Road. When I first moved to WI, I thought I was “up north”, but the further north I move the further up the definition of up north seems to be.

Same in CA. I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley. To me, San Francisco is NOT the north!

SiouzQ.
9-6-19, 4:44pm
In Michigan "Up North" is right around Clare, where you start seeing the first birch trees.

goldensmom
9-6-19, 6:08pm
In Michigan "Up North" is right around Clare, where you start seeing the first birch trees.

And it is 'official' as a sign just before the first Clare exit heading north says 'Gateway To The North'. :)