PDA

View Full Version : poor old dog

rodeosweetheart
5-31-11, 11:11pm
We have a dog who turns 14 in a month. He had a stroke a few years ago and has exhibited erratic behavior since that time. The vet has diagnosed him with demyelinating(not spelled right) neuropathy and dementia, or as the vet put it, doggie ms and doggie Alzheimers.

He is also pretty much blind and deaf. He needs to be lifted to go in the car and tries to bite when we do so. My hsuband never wants to leave him home when we go to the beach. Yet the dog does not want to go. When he is there, he is happy. At times, he actually runs around the yard, at other times, he cannot get his legs to coordinate under him and stand up. He wanders around the house and goes to the door and stares, as though unable to figure out what to do.

Most heartbreaking of all, he did not recognize my son when he came home to visit, and he's known him all his life.

It is probably just a matter of time before we need to let him go. He is a biggish dog and i cannot handle him and am becoming afraid to try to do so. Does anyone have any thoughts about what to do?

kally
5-31-11, 11:31pm
I'm sorry to say it sounds like time to let him go. Can you have the vet come to your home?

chrisgermany
6-1-11, 4:43am
Deciding on the right time to let a pet go is one of the most important responsibilities a pet owner has. But it is so difficult.

Wildflower
6-1-11, 5:02am
It always comes down to quality of life - is your dog having enough quality of life to keep going on? That's always a hard decision to make, although in my experience my pets usually have a way of letting me know. It's usually when the light or joy of life is no longer in their eyes. Look into your dog's eyes and see what is there, he will let you know, I think....

goldensmom
6-1-11, 6:31am
I've made this most difficult decision and it was heartbreaking but I think you already know what you need to do. One of the great things about a dog is that they trust you to do the right thing.......no matter what.

rodeosweetheart
6-1-11, 7:10am
Thanks, guys. I read your answers and I am already crying. But I hear you.

Float On
6-1-11, 7:42am
Its a hard decision. ((hug))

Glo
6-1-11, 9:24am
I agree its time to let go. We has a beagle with similar symptoms who was 14; we put her down and we cried like babies for days. My thoughts are with you.

Rosemary
6-1-11, 9:25am
Best wishes. Having lost two cats in the last year, I know this is a very difficult time for you.

folkypoet
6-1-11, 10:44am
You'll know in your heart what needs to be done. Trust yourself. It's so hard, I know. When our cat Incredible was ready, he let us know by lying in the bathtub, not eating, hardly moving.... He was FeLV and FIV positive (was when we found him), and it was finally just too much for his little body to bear. It was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. And one of the hardest days I've ever had to face. But I didn't want him to suffer just because putting him to sleep was difficult for me.

Thinking of you and your special guy....

frugal-one
6-1-11, 11:49am
Our hearts are with you!

HappyHiker
6-1-11, 12:25pm
Your dog and his condition sounds like our fellow, too. Going on 15, he's mostly blind and deaf, a little wobbly on his feet. Paces sometimes, gets stuck in corners...and yet he still loves his food--gets so excited at meal times and eats with great gusto. We figure his nose and taste buds are the last of his sensory organs left, so he takes great pleasure in eating.

We're taking him on a car trip vacation soon, maybe his last?

When he stops enjoying his food, we'll know it's time, but until then we try to coddle him and slip him treats and brush him because he loves it so...

Here's a link to a story about our dog I wrote:
http://vibrantvillage.com/2011/05/14/what-kind-of-dog-is-that/

kally
6-1-11, 12:30pm
I also feel for you. I look at our cat and know that decision may come for him in the next few years and feel like bawling. But I know it is the ultimate love to show our pets. Big hugs to you.

rodeosweetheart
6-1-11, 1:03pm
thanks again so much--every post is really, really helping me work through this.

"We figure his nose and taste buds are the last of his sensory organs left, so he takes great pleasure in eating."
That is what the vet told us, too. He said that actually, when he gets to the beach and a wind blows over him, his impulses just kick in automatically, the wiring in his brain sort of jump starts erratically, he gets excited-- that is the Alzheimer's portion of things.

the last time we let him off the leash at the beach, he just took off and kept going--he is a shepherding dog, and would always run circles around us and come right back--he seemed to have lost his compass.

What a world, huh. You guys are really kind.