PDA

View Full Version : Password protection

razz
11-5-19, 7:38am
I have been concerned about my passwords - protecting, accessing, autofill, etc. I had a 'rogue installer' that I apparently triggered in error. Now I use Chrome and DuckDuckGo on my laptop computer. When Apple repair switched my system from Safari to Chrome in order to add Adblock, I lost access to all my passwords. Fortunately I had them all on my iPhone. I don't feel secure about having the passwords to everything in my life so readily accessible.

I have asked around for solutions and yesterday it was suggested that I look at 'Keeper'. It seems like a good solution, readily affordable at $30 (probably us$) per annum and would cover both my devices. I looked at references for this online and they do seem positive. Any pros or cons or things that I should be aware of before I sign up?
TIA

Tammy
11-5-19, 8:56am
I love 1Password.

As a bonus my son-in-law works for them and keeps me up to date with changes and how to best utilize it.

lmerullo
11-5-19, 12:45pm
Following.

At work we have a new IT guy who is very gung tho on passwords and security. Apparently having them all on a spreadsheet tab labelled passwords didn't work for him!

I've had my identity stolen, and thought in personal life I was adequately protected. So much to learn, though.

bae
11-5-19, 1:10pm
I use a simple scheme for generating unique passwords that I can remember.

Uncommonword_Number_Name-of-Service_WackyPunctiation

So, like:

Platypus666Amazon!@#

Platypus666Ebay!@#

catherine
11-5-19, 1:18pm
My DIL is a cybersecurity expert for Dow Jones, so I do pet's name uppercase+year he was born+special character. Works every time! (Actually, my DIL had nothing to do with that scheme. She probably accepts those crazy auto-generated passwords.)

I did have some problems with identity theft through Yahoo, but I generally trust I'll be pretty safe. I try not to worry too much. I do tons of online banking and buying. Haven't lost any money yet.

Teacher Terry
11-5-19, 1:27pm
My step son worked in computer security in the military. He said to make up a sentence with a few numbers after it. You only use the first letter of every word. I used sentences I can remember.

lmerullo
11-5-19, 9:24pm
Ok, day one with IT guy providing my passwords and I'm not a fan. He used the internet to generate a random string, then copy pasted it in my machine. He then read it off to me, for me to use. Well, there was both a lower case l and a numeral one, but he said there were two l's. Locked out for five minutes due to too many retries. Next he gave me a string with a zero, but called it an "oh". I used the letter - lockout! Ugh.

iris lilies
11-6-19, 9:56am
Ok, day one with IT guy providing my passwords and I'm not a fan. He used the internet to generate a random string, then copy pasted it in my machine. He then read it off to me, for me to use. Well, there was both a lower case l and a numeral one, but he said there were two l's. Locked out for five minutes due to too many retries. Next he gave me a string with a zero, but called it an "oh". I used the letter - lockout! Ugh.

oh yeah, I remember those days of going around with IT and their O0’s and l1 characters in password security.
But it’s your fault.

SteveinMN
11-6-19, 10:00am
The way around that is to simply not use the characters i, l, and o or the digits 0 or 1. Substitute a less ambiguous letter or digit. Z+0l5q1N becomes Z+9r5q3N . No less "crackable" and less prone to transcription errors.

I use a password manager. I used to use a system similar to bae's but once some lax Web site exposes your password, it's not that hard to figure out others. A system like TT's is stronger but I have dozens of passwords to various sites and remembering phrases for that many sites just wasn't tenable -- especially when some sites age out passwords after a year or some other time period.

I use 1Password on my Mac and iPhone. In fact, I subscribe to the Family version of the app so DW and even MiL in another city can use it. I like their proactivity in reacting to new attack vectors and it's so easy to use that it actually gets used. It's also a good place to store those security/verification questions many sites impose. There are other decent apps out there. Friends of mine use LastPass and I know there are fans of KeePass out there. I've chosen to stay with 1Password, though.

iris lilies
11-6-19, 10:08am
The way around that is to simply not use the characters i, l, and o or the digits 0 or 1...

Well no kidding! Back in my working days I wasnt in control of some of these decisions.

But I really do need to use password protector software.

Gardnr
11-6-19, 11:35am
DH is certified in cybersecurity. We use KeyPass. https://keepass.info/

I love it!

lmerullo
11-7-19, 6:05pm
IL - why do you say it's my fault? I'm just a worker bee.

Today's fun - I am allowed to write down my password and leave that paper at my desk.

iris lilies
11-7-19, 6:25pm
IL - why do you say it's my fault? I'm just a worker bee.

Today's fun - I am allowed to write down my password and leave that paper at my desk.

sorry, i should have said “ But it’s your fault.” >8)

‘Cause it was always our fault in the eyes of IT.

edited to add: Our IT crew would never “allow” anyone to post their password in an obvious place, and cant say I blame them, but having done it surreptitiously a few times,
i am sympathetic.

jp1
11-7-19, 8:59pm
DH is certified in cybersecurity. We use KeyPass. https://keepass.info/

I love it!

I also use keepass. My sister, who retired from a career in programming, focused on security, recommended it. It's shocking how many passwords I have. I have 146 different sites for which I have a password. Admittedly that also includes things like the website where I once, one time, purchased a downloadable music file, but still, 146 seems like a lot.

I also like using a password manager because for important stuff, like bank websites, I use fake account verification answers. At one bank instead of mom's maiden name I use my cat's mother's first name, for instance. Details like that can be stored in a password manager. (needless to say, I have more than one backup of it because I'd be completely hosed if I lost the password manager and all those little details.)