PDA

View Full Version : OK Boomer

LDAHL
11-8-19, 11:53am
I will admit I never heard that phrase until yesterday. My kid says it’s been around “forever”, which of course could be for anytime before last week.

Am I only viewing stodgy websites? It seems like an elegantly dismissive putdown/grievance shorthand phrase for the young against the less young.

catherine
11-8-19, 12:13pm
Wow, I almost posted the same type of thing yesterday, when I came across Buzzfeed-type articles about "boomer culture" vs "millennial culture" and it clearly painted a picture of Boomers, not as the cool hippie/hip people we see ourselves as, but as out-of-touch geezers.

I do not feel like an out-of-touch geezer. I'm healthy, I'm working full time at a demanding job--which requires technology and, interestingly, a lot of these major differences I read about between boomers/millenials focus on technology aptitude.

But even my son who comes up a lot on weekends makes snide comments on our boomer tv-watching habits. Probably watching cable tv is by itself a Boomer/Geezer flag. I KNOW being on FB is a Boomer/Geezer flag.

You are exactly right. We entitled, free this-and-that, climate-crashing, war-protesting, civil-rights waging, post-war folk are being put out to pasture.

But I would like the few millennials on this site to weigh in.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/these-painfully-accurate-tweets-show-the-huge-difference

rosarugosa
11-8-19, 12:21pm
Do we even have any millennials on this site? I know we have some gen Xers, but not so sure about millennials.

Alan
11-8-19, 12:32pm
I'd never seen this phrase before reading a Bloomberg article about it a few days ago. When I saw it here yesterday it made me think "Don't be jealous, you'll come into your own someday."

Teacher Terry
11-8-19, 12:32pm
I knew it was a insult but wasn’t surprised from that poster. Like some of you here I am still working in a professional job part time.

ApatheticNoMore
11-8-19, 12:39pm
But are Boomers even who people think they are, the unemployed 50 something who couldn't get a job to save their life due to age discrimination etc. and I know them. Yes they might very well be Boomers, but they might very well be Gen X at this point also.

Gen X never gets any love.

millennial culture is forcing yourself to take a sick day only when it’s clear that your body cannot function and then feeling guilty when you’re not working

uh, that's anyone who doesn't actually have sick days but it's not about guilt, take your guilt to your shrink because it's silly. But it's about FEAR, fear of getting in trouble for missing a day. Get back to me when you are a 50 something working gigs to survive how about? Because I know them too.

JaneV2.0
11-8-19, 12:53pm
"Generation wars" remind me of "mommy wars"--both equally stupid and pointless.
If you don't like the way the country is headed (and I don't blame you), work to change it. We did.

LDAHL
11-8-19, 2:02pm
Well, if it’s actually a generational war, my side is losing by attrition.

I suspect a lot of this stuff is just concocted by various belligerents within the confines of the chattering class. I’m not getting a sense of widespread resentment on either side, just grievance-mongering by people who feel it’s their job to report on trends even if they have to make them up. Mostly privileged people envious of somebody else’s privilege.

As my kid likes to say in a similar context: whatever.

bae
11-8-19, 2:06pm
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_q2OfA7Firz0/TCEm-NFJ7yI/AAAAAAAAAAM/2JWrc8Jb66s/S1600-R/get+off+my+lawn.jpg

ApatheticNoMore
11-8-19, 2:21pm
As my kid likes to say in a similar context: whatever.

Hmm, didn't know these kids were getting much of their language from their Gen X parents, whatever never mind.

Privileged seems to mean not homeless for the most part if suddenly now anyone and everyone is declared privileged. Because many people are probably BOTH privileged AND non-privileged, say they are the stereotypical struggling millennial, they may be privileged in having a degree say, and non-privileged in having a struggle finding any work making use of it.

The people who can't relate to non-privileged in ANY sense is who these things are meant to lampoon (only they don't get it's REALLY not an age thing, anyone who has an encounter with the job market since 2008 knows it's hard out there! If one was retired or had a steady job that might not be them but ...). And the people who are 100% non-privileged are just the poor who have always been with us, the U.S. has always had A LOT of poverty, it's really nothing new under the sun (there is more homelessness). But there are things you can't tell the young, like maybe they work precarious jobs and complain, and sure it sucks, but if they are young and healthy you can't tell them that they could be older, have health problems like say gout (real example), and still work precarious jobs and be going on and off health insurance ...

As for technology, I don't own a smart phone, I don't own a t.v., so I don't relate to either, guess I wouldn't.

catherine
11-8-19, 2:22pm
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_q2OfA7Firz0/TCEm-NFJ7yI/AAAAAAAAAAM/2JWrc8Jb66s/S1600-R/get+off+my+lawn.jpg

Hey! I just saw that movie for the first time. El Torino. Clint Eastwood was really good in that movie.

Ultralight
11-8-19, 6:08pm
"Generation wars" remind me of "mommy wars"--both equally stupid and pointless.
If you don't like the way the country is headed (and I don't blame you), work to change it. We did.

Okay, boomer.

Ultralight
11-8-19, 6:11pm
I'd never seen this phrase before reading a Bloomberg article about it a few days ago. When I saw it here yesterday it made me think "Don't be jealous, you'll come into your own someday."

Okay, boomer.

befree
11-8-19, 6:13pm
I just "unfollowed" a millenial friend on FB today because she jumped on this 3 days ago, and she's just beating this dead horse with post after post about how entitled, self-satisfied and greedy boomers are, how we are personally responsible for ruining the environment and the job market and how there will be no Social Security because we have sucked it all up. I have stayed out of the arguments back and forth on FB after her first post, but it has been hurting my feelings to read this stuff..after all, I've been trying to live right and be polite and kind and save the environment and empower others my whole life. The last straw was when she posted that the fact that boomers get offended by her arguments just proves how entitled and selfish we really are. I've had enough of that, so, to use another modern phrase...."bye bye, Felicia."

Alan
11-8-19, 6:27pm
Okay, boomer.Thanks sparky!

Yppej
11-8-19, 6:44pm
I am generation X but do not approve of age discrimination. Befree what do these people think those "sucking up Social Security" should do instead? Just die?

ApatheticNoMore
11-8-19, 6:57pm
I am generation X but do not approve of age discrimination. Befree what do these people think those "sucking up Social Security" should do instead? Just die?

they aren't even thinking, the right wing propaganda has eaten their brains :). Because who exactly do they think is going to be financially supporting their parents if there was no Social Security? Yea they would, that's who. Whatever financial problems they might have, do they really want to add financially supporting their parents to the list? Doesn't work unless one is rich and are most of these people really that well off? People seem not to get in general that basic government benefits (like old age care, healthcare etc.) benefit more than just the person they directly go to, they lift burdens off others as well. So their kids can make their own life, they may or may not be able to buy a home etc., but if they think it's financially hard now ...

Yppej
11-8-19, 7:01pm
they aren't even thinking, the right wing propaganda has eaten their brains :). Because who exactly do they think is going to be financially supporting their parents if there was no Social Security? Yea they would, that's who. Whatever financial problems they might have, do they really want to add financially supporting their parents to the list? Doesn't work unless one is rich and are most of these people really that well off? People seem not to get in general that basic government benefits (like old age care, healthcare etc.) benefit more than just the person they directly go to, they lift burdens off others as well. So their kids can make their own life, they may or may not be able to buy a home etc., but if they think it's financially hard now ...

+1

There are plenty of middle and upper class people who transfer assets early so they can get Medicaid to pay for their nursing home care, yet look down on others who use the program out of genuine need earlier in life.

razz
11-8-19, 7:05pm
I need a little clarifying to be sure that I am understanding what is meant here.

For a long time I have read that Boomers are those born between 1946-1964 or thereabouts. They have been able to find jobs readily as the economy expanded. Most have hd an affluent lifestyle compared to their parents. Those Boomers born earlier have gained more according to reports presented over the years.

With that as my terms of reference, what is the current phrase, OK Boomer, doing any differently?

Teacher Terry
11-8-19, 7:13pm
I think it’s terrible to transfer assets to kids in order to qualify for Medicaid. The look back period has consistently gotten longer. If we need care we will use ours until broke.

Yppej
11-8-19, 7:15pm
I think it’s terrible to transfer assets to kids in order to qualify for Medicaid. The look back period has consistently gotten longer. If we need care we will use ours until broke.

I think some of it is also pressure from the kids who want to inherit. I have told my parents I don't expect anything.

Teacher Terry
11-8-19, 7:19pm
We told our parents to spend their money which they did. Plus my mom lived to almost 90. She got to travel and enjoy herself. My kids would never expect any money until we are gone. If we live long it will probably be gone.

Rogar
11-8-19, 7:34pm
I think the younger people have some valid talking points. The environment may be headed for some sort of catastrophe, national debt is huge and the gap between the wealthy and the middle or lower classes is unprecedented. Exactly whose fault that is is debatable, but I plead innocent (possibly by reason of simple living) and at least for the average person have tried to do my part. The older folks have also done some pretty amazing things in medicine, science and technology, and even defined global warming. We pass that along to them.

Without looking up statistics of the work force, I'd say the baton is being passed and the complaining time is over. I hope they do a good or better job. If my small social circle is an indication, a lot of them need to move out of their parent's basements.

Yppej
11-8-19, 7:43pm
Though living in the basement is environmentally more sound than building new housing to accommodate population growth, or even using natural resources to rehab existing housing that is dilapidated.

ApatheticNoMore
11-8-19, 7:50pm
but I plead innocent (possibly by reason of simple living) and at least for the average person have tried to do my part.

I don't plead innocent, not entirely, a lot more should have been done in terms of activism and otherwise as well, but mostly activism (but Gen X really is by and large not particularly activist by nature ...). And quite regardless of that, it's really difficult problems against a very hardened status quo etc.. It's nothing easy. It's the hard crash of industrial fossil fuel civilization (I guess many before had civilization but not fossil fueled), of hitting hard limits to growth etc.. In 1960 the population was what 3.5 Billion, ahem and what is it now, and yea sure I was born after 1960 ... So if the young want radical change, and the old are dragging their feet, the young are right I believe and from their lips to goddesses ears. But getting there is hard.

Yppej
11-8-19, 7:56pm
https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/01/30/the-sandwich-generation/

This provides some data on trends in caring for the elderly and adult children. The ones saying Oh boomer are actually getting more help than the aging boomers.

Tradd
11-8-19, 8:04pm
I’m 50. I’m a Gen X-Er. 4 years too late to be a boomer. Mom was 4 years too early to be a boomer.

Ultralight
11-8-19, 8:21pm

Ultralight
11-8-19, 8:22pm
https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/01/30/the-sandwich-generation/

This provides some data on trends in caring for the elderly and adult children. The ones saying Oh boomer are actually getting more help than the aging boomers.

Okay, boomer.

Rogar
11-8-19, 8:33pm
I don't plead innocent, not entirely, a lot more should have been done in terms of activism and otherwise as well, but mostly activism..

I don't think activism is the only path to change.

Tammy
11-8-19, 9:17pm
I wish I were gen x but apparently I’m in the last 3 years of the boomer crowd. I identify with gen x most closely. But then all this generational stuff is somewhat suspect - as if whole cohorts if people born in the 20 year span are alike. It’s not much different than astrology.

ApatheticNoMore
11-9-19, 1:14am
Okay, boomer.

The funny thing is that in addition to not being a boomer (just going to take her word), how little yppej even fits the stereotype of "ok boomers" on some glide path through life to anyone paying attention.

I mean I actually have encountered what I think is being referenced there with ok boomer, they give job advice, that say inability to find a job must have a reason or something, a reason that can be deciphered, and your like hmm, and then they give advice on how to find a job and your like uh ... I mean I do get it, impossible advice that doesn't match one's lived experience in the slightest. But then I met someone about 60 in my unemployment support group, who didn't just want a job but needed one, I wanted one badly and was in despair, but they were more looking at not being able to survive (and not someday but right now) level, I wasn't. I hope they managed to get by. (and if you want to lecture on how people should avoid this when they get older, to be all "ok boomer" to um actual boomers, there is a backstory to it, it's not pure fecklessness).

rosarugosa
11-9-19, 7:17am
I wish I were gen x but apparently I’m in the last 3 years of the boomer crowd. I identify with gen x most closely. But then all this generational stuff is somewhat suspect - as if whole cohorts if people born in the 20 year span are alike. It’s not much different than astrology.

That is funny Tammy; I used the astrology analogy last night talking to DH about the generational categories. Sure, there are some generalizations to be made relative to the era in which one comes of age, but I think a lot of this is more of a parlor game, and the generalizations never apply across the board. I worked in a department of almost all millennials and a couple of gen X managers. My team was unique in that I had 2 boomers, 2 gen Xers, 2 millennials, and 2 gen Zers (my HS interns). It was a veritable Noah's Ark of the generations. Some of the alleged characteristics are merely the differences between younger and older folks. I read once that Boomers were characterized by a greater interest in saving for retirement. I'm sure millennials will be more interested when they get older.

Ultralight
11-9-19, 8:09am
The funny thing is that in addition to not being a boomer (just going to take her word), how little yppej even fits the stereotype of "ok boomers" on some glide path through life to anyone paying attention.

Tammy
11-9-19, 9:44am
I read that “Ok boomer” is now a simple insult for those with whom one disagrees. Age no longer applies. I also read that since boomers are using it, it now will fall out of favor with everyone else.

iris lilies
11-9-19, 10:21am

I mean I actually have encountered what I think is being referenced there with ok boomer, they give job advice, that say inability to find a job must have a reason or something, a reason that can be deciphered, and your like hmm, and then they give advice on how to find a job and your like uh ... I mean I do get it, impossible advice that doesn't match one's lived experience in the slightest. But then I met someone about 60 in my unemployment support group, who didn't just want a job but needed one, I wanted one badly and was in despair, but they were more looking at not being able to survive (and not someday but right now) level, I wasn't. I hope they managed to get by. (and if you want to lecture on how people should avoid this when they get older, to be all "ok boomer" to um actual boomers, there is a backstory to it, it's not pure fecklessness).

ANM, I love that bolded phrase. Funny!

yes, this boomer has been on a glide path through life, more or less.

ToomuchStuff
11-9-19, 11:11am
First I heard of this phrase was here, and I was trying to figure out if UL was getting into old tv shows:

Simplemind
11-9-19, 12:19pm
This came up in one of my FB groups the other day. A woman with a younger supervisor was feeling extremely disrespected due to the age memes her supervisor was posting. She was very happy she was getting away in a couple of months when she retired. I asked her if the gal ever said anything like that at work and she said she didn't. I was actually surprised they were connected on FB but told her it sounded like her supervisor was professional and what she posts on FB is more a reflection on her. I have a friend who is seeing an attorney next week due to over the top age comments being made to her on the first month of a job.
Our kids rarely watch TV and give us no end of crap when they come over and it is being used as background noise. I don't disagree that they have a point there.

Teacher Terry
11-9-19, 12:58pm
It’s sad when people get pushed out of jobs in their 50’s. Many never are able to resume their career or work for half as much. This has been happening for a long time.

JaneV2.0
11-9-19, 2:29pm
It’s sad when people get pushed out of jobs in their 50’s. Many never are able to resume their career or work for half as much. This has been happening for a long time.

A friend's husband was canned recently. He's about fifty. Odd how that happens. I think he's going to land on his feet, but what a shock.

Teacher Terry
11-9-19, 3:00pm
When my husband was getting laid off at 53 from his government job he read it in the newspaper. Major downsizing. He was able to get 2 contract jobs out of town and then had to take his pension early because we didn’t want to move or live apart. Engineering jobs have never been plentiful here.

HappyHiker
11-9-19, 5:34pm
It was an accident of birth to be born a Boomer. Had no choice in the matter. Living during that time wasn't the easiest, was it? The Viet Nam War. Friends/relatives died. Lots came home with PTSD. The assassination of JFK, Robt. Kennedy, MLK, Kent State...integration. The ugliness of Nixon, Reagan.

Maybe younger folks can blame me and my tribe for the world's ills, but I'm still a hippy at heart and live according to those values. Live simply, conserve resources, care and contribute to and for my friends and community.

OK boomers?? Right on

Peace out.

JaneV2.0
11-9-19, 6:28pm
Yea, we certainly tried to improve things.

Which generation touted vulture capitalism and "Greed is good" and heralded the end of defined pensions? Those are the people I'd blame, personally.

Ultralight
11-9-19, 6:34pm
Yea, we certainly tried to improve things.

Which generation touted vulture capitalism and "Greed is good" and heralded the end of defined pensions? Those are the people I'd blame, personally.

iris lilies
11-9-19, 6:45pm

yawn. Boy is that getting old.

iris lilies
11-9-19, 6:50pm

It’s unethical to transfer wealth, but it is also dangerous. I wouldnt do it for the danger factor.

Rogar
11-9-19, 6:56pm
Well, one thing. Popular music took a big decline in quality around 1980 or '90 and continues to do so. Disco music was sort of a low spot, but these days I can tap my toe to it. So I'm an OK Boomer.

Ultralight
11-9-19, 6:59pm
yawn. Boy is that getting old.

iris lilies
11-9-19, 7:21pm

I figured you’d respond like that. It was a little annoying but also it made me laugh

Ultralight
11-9-19, 7:27pm
I figured you’d respond like that. It was a little annoying but also it made me laugh

Story of my life.

Alan
11-9-19, 8:22pm

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/74384231_518071898742046_8992658685910056960_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQlwmkW186loaCWrjKx73v4gdq0YQ_0uh5BAzObKMN4 oIJGNYCyRH4_NmNrMVzasPmxJTSmTT92kHJA_T0G4fgKh&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=eb66b4145220441e2ded7f232ac4252e&oe=5E3FCCD9

iris lilies
11-9-19, 8:24pm
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/74384231_518071898742046_8992658685910056960_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQlwmkW186loaCWrjKx73v4gdq0YQ_0uh5BAzObKMN4 oIJGNYCyRH4_NmNrMVzasPmxJTSmTT92kHJA_T0G4fgKh&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=eb66b4145220441e2ded7f232ac4252e&oe=5E3FCCD9

Alan won the internet today.

Teacher Terry
11-9-19, 8:41pm
IL, I actually don’t care about the dangerous factor but I definitely care about being unethical. It’s very important for me to live with integrity. That’s the way I was raised and I hope my kids feel that way too. Some things may be legal but unethical.

Ultralight
11-9-19, 9:13pm
LMAO!! Well played!

happystuff
11-10-19, 8:21am
"I also read that since boomers are using it, it now will fall out of favor with everyone else. "

I agree. Yesterday was craft day at a sibling's house. Only 1 non-boomer in the group and this topic came up. We ended up using it on ourselves with great delight. :~)

LDAHL
11-10-19, 10:33am
"I also read that since boomers are using it, it now will fall out of favor with everyone else. "

I agree. Yesterday was craft day at a sibling's house. Only 1 non-boomer in the group and this topic came up. We ended up using it on ourselves with great delight. :~)

That is the danger of shorthand put downs, isn’t it? The intended targets can use them as sarcastic badges of honor. Like the British Army referring to themselves as the “old contemptibles” or Forbes magazine advertising itself as a “capitalist tool”.

There’s a diner I know of that has a “deplorable table” during breakfast hours.

JaneV2.0
11-10-19, 10:39am
IL, I actually don’t care about the dangerous factor but I definitely care about being unethical. It’s very important for me to live with integrity. That’s the way I was raised and I hope my kids feel that way too. Some things may be legal but unethical.

As long as people look down equally on the rich who legally (but unethically, IMO) shelter their money and businesses by off-shoring them and other means. It seems to me it's always the poor and middle-class who get the loud condemnation from their peers. Nobody punches up.

Teacher Terry
11-10-19, 10:53am
No worries Jane I have lots of disgust for those people.

LDAHL
11-10-19, 10:54am
Nobody punches up.

I don’t see much evidence that the rich get some kind of pass.

There are politicians who have made careers out of “punching up” at the iniquitous rich. Popular culture’s favorite stock villains are wealthy creeps. The media seems to be staffed mainly by people who seem to resent the unjustice of some being rich while they are merely affluent. I would suggest that the majority sentiment of the posters here runs against the rich.

Alan
11-10-19, 11:10am
I would suggest that the majority sentiment of the posters here runs against the rich.

No worries Jane I have lots of disgust for those people.
Yep, and oddly enough some wear it as if it were a badge of honor. Personally, I think it must be terribly unhealthy to live with that much hate.

Teacher Terry
11-10-19, 11:13am
Disgust is not hate. I won’t do something legal but unethical and have no respect for people that do.

Yppej
11-10-19, 11:22am
Popular culture’s favorite stock villains are wealthy creeps.

Please tell me you are not feeling sorry for Jeffrey Epstein, Bill Cosby, R. Kelly, and other rich perverts.

iris lilies
11-10-19, 11:29am
Disgust is not hate. I won’t do something legal but unethical and have no respect for people that do.
I think we all do things on the regular that others consider unethical.I do think there are degrees of ethical wrong, so I am not saying it really matters or it really doesn’t matter, I’m just saying.

I really don’t see how taking tax “dodges “in “loopholes “for the big rich people is any different than a little people taking the same deductions and etc.

Teacher Terry
11-10-19, 11:34am
I have a friend that lives in Texas and her parents had a lot of money. When her mom needed to go to a nursing home they consulted a lawyer. He sheltered so much of the money that when both parents died she inherited a lot. I don’t think the surviving spouse should be impoverished but taxpayers paid for care that they could afford. That’s unethical.

catherine
11-10-19, 11:40am
In the same vein, what about the seminars for high school parents by experts who teach ways to hide money so that they can lie about assets on the FAFSA?

LDAHL
11-10-19, 11:46am
Please tell me you are not feeling sorry for Jeffrey Epstein, Bill Cosby, R. Kelly, and other rich perverts.

Can’t I despise rapists on their own merits without adding a modifier?

iris lilies
11-10-19, 11:52am
I have a friend that lives in Texas and her parents had a lot of money. When her mom needed to go to a nursing home they consulted a lawyer. He sheltered so much of the money that when both parents died she inherited a lot. I don’t think the surviving spouse should be impoverished but taxpayers paid for care that they could afford. That’s unethical.

I don’t think it’s that easy to shelter money from Medicaid.

One of my friends, a single woman, got her mother’s house in her name quite a few years before her mother went to a public nursing home. I never talked to her about the ethics of it because she did it years before any look back period woukd kick in she was in the clear. she considers herself poor, the house was pretty modest (I’m thinking well under $100,000) and she split that money three ways with siblings when it sold.

Maybe it’s because I like her, although I think she’s kind of stupid with money but not totally stupid with money, to me this was her single chance at having a modest stash for retirement. I assume she put it in the bank and would be disappointed to hear if she blew it.

Teacher Terry
11-10-19, 12:26pm
IL, this was in Texas about 25 years ago. They hired a attorney who specializes in that. She is a good friend so I know it’s true.

Yppej
11-10-19, 2:50pm
Can’t I despise rapists on their own merits without adding a modifier?

They got away with it for as long as they did because they had money for good lawyers.

Gardnr
11-10-19, 3:58pm

When retired billionaires have surgery and the bill is paid by Medicare resulting in a loss just to breakeven................. Any difference? And yes, it is rarely possibly to provide a surgical procedure that gets a breakeven on variable cost let alone cover a penny of fixed cost.

Yppej
11-10-19, 4:37pm
When retired billionaires have surgery and the bill is paid by Medicare resulting in a loss just to breakeven................. Any difference? And yes, it is rarely possibly to provide a surgical procedure that gets a breakeven on variable cost let alone cover a penny of fixed cost.

Medicare is a contributory program in theory (I have posted elsewhere about immigrants just off the boat getting it.) Medicaid is a needs based program. So yes, there is a difference if a billionaire has paid Medicare taxes. I would argue the cap on those taxes should be lifted.

catherine
11-11-19, 12:30pm
So, it seems boomers are really at the receiving end of attack by younger generations, but why not laugh about it? Here's yet another FB boomer-attack post--this time about boomer food. And I have to admit, except for the curly parsley, they are right. (I LOVE curly parsley)

https://www.topixrewind.com/article/21134/s44?fbclid=IwAR0xgzwJ_MFV4fUIjcdzoTpzTfpvWBfD_1f8V IMvwBgyknTyMGA1l31MfMA

Teacher Terry
11-11-19, 1:26pm
That’s funny Catherine. I don’t like many of the foods listed. But I love my families recipe for stuffing cooked inside the turkey.

LDAHL
11-11-19, 1:39pm
While I do prefer twinkies to avacado toast, any ninnyhammer who thinks he or she has a handle on a generation’s tastes should be seared over an open flame to keep the juices inside and then baked into a casserole.

Teacher Terry
11-11-19, 2:14pm
L, I totally agree!

ApatheticNoMore
11-11-19, 2:44pm
So, it seems boomers are really at the receiving end of attack by younger generations, but why not laugh about it? Here's yet another FB boomer-attack post--this time about boomer food. And I have to admit, except for the curly parsley, they are right. (I LOVE curly parsley)

I don't eat most of it but then I don't eat processed food if I can help it. I guess white people tacos sometimes, and sometimes I make my own tacos and they are probably pretty white!!! Meatloaf is fine though I seldom eat it. Well done steak is fine (yea I was raised with caution toward pathogens, I see no proof the food system has improved). And olive garden is way better than many restaurants out there, so many times do I wish people had just gone to olive garden ..

I think I get flat parsley because I was told it was more flavorful by cookbooks, but honestly there isn't much difference, if it's sold out, curly will do just fine.

iris lilies
11-11-19, 4:30pm
I confess to using instant coffee. i am not proud of that.

But Lima beans? Whoah. These millennials know not what they miss if they have not eaten fresh lima beans from the garden.

Cream of wheat is the worst crap ever made.

Catchup is appropriate on almost anything but especially on steak.

JaneV2.0
11-11-19, 4:50pm
Cream of Wheat used in Indian cooking is outstanding.
I use instant coffee all the time lately, mostly for flavoring milky beverages.
I like lima beans just fine.
Liver and onions cooked correctly is also fine with me. I should attempt to eat it again some day.
I'm sure I could find plenty to criticize about other generations' favorite foods if I were so inclined.
I'm mostly with LDAHL, though I like avocado toast...

Rogar
11-11-19, 8:03pm
A news feature I heard lately on millennial health was not very encouraging. Maybe liver and onions are not such a bad thing?

"Millennials are in bad shape, and their poor physical and mental health carries serious adverse economic consequences, according to a new report.

More millennials — those born between 1981 and 1996 — suffer from conditions including hypertension, high cholesterol, depression and hyperactivity at a higher rate than Gen-Xers did at the same point in their lives, Moody's Analytics found in a report (https://www.bcbs.com/sites/default/files/file-attachments/health-of-america-report/HOA-Moodys-Millennial-10-30.pdf) drawing on data from Blue Cross Blue Shield. As a result, the economic research firm estimates that, by 2027, health costs for young adults could run as much as 33% higher than they were for Gen-Xers at the same age.

Rising health care costs means a greater financial load on employers and workers, as well as the federal and state governments."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/millennials-suffer-more-than-gen-xers-did-from-physical-and-behavioral-health-conditions/

Yppej
11-11-19, 9:09pm
Maybe their hypertension comes from working themselves into a tizxy about boomers.

Ultralight
11-11-19, 9:14pm
Maybe their hypertension comes from working themselves into a tizxy about boomers.

iris lilies
11-11-19, 9:24pm
Cream of Wheat used in Indian cooking is outstanding.
I use instant coffee all the time lately, mostly for flavoring milky beverages.
I like lima beans just fine.
Liver and onions cooked correctly is also fine with me. I should attempt to eat it again some day.
I'm sure I could find plenty to criticize about other generations' favorite foods if I were so inclined.
I'm mostly with LDAHL, though I like avocado toast...

I will have to Google how cream of wheat is used in Indian cooking. I can’t picture it.

JaneV2.0
11-12-19, 9:01am
There are apparently scads of variations of both sweet and savory variations. I've most often had a savory version with nigella.

JaneV2.0
12-1-19, 9:53am
I will have to Google how cream of wheat is used in Indian cooking. I can’t picture it.

I just ran across this one this morning, from one of my favorite cookbook authors:

https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-halva-recipe/

razz
12-1-19, 11:05am
Often wondered what ghee came from so investigated the recipe in your link, Jane. It is butter! Thanks for the link.

iris lilies
12-1-19, 11:09am
Often wondered what ghee came from so investigated the recipe in your link, Jane. It is butter! Thanks for the link.
It is clarified butter. DH Keeps a jar of clarified butter in our freezer and I have forgotten where I got it from. I told him when he runs out of that he can just go to the Indian grocery store and get gheebut he doesn’t believe me.