PDA

View Full Version : Tiny House Article & Video

RCWRTR
6-2-11, 11:47am
I found this article about a family of three who chose to live in a tiny house. I'm not sure how long AOL will continue to give access to the video, but here's the link:

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2011/06/01/video-family-lives-in-320-square-foot-shotgun-shack/?ncid=webmail

kally
6-2-11, 11:59am
very cool. Thanks for finding that.

RCWRTR
6-2-11, 12:08pm
You're welcome, kally!

Float On
6-2-11, 12:35pm
Love it! I've thought it would be nice to have a small cabin that size for me and my DH and add a smaller one next door for the kids bedrooms/bath. I'd end up with a whole compound of little houses for each of us to have a studio.

Square Peg
6-2-11, 1:49pm
I thought it was interesting that she said she didn't tell anyone for a few months. I thought it was cute but had a bit of an anxiety attack looking at the boy's room. I feel claustrophobic just looking at it!

H-work
6-2-11, 2:42pm
I loved the broom closet.

I'd be hesitant to rent the lot, tho. What happens if something happens with the landowner and they have to move the house quickly? It would be a hassle and a lot of expense, plus hard to find a new place to put it. That would worry me.

We bought a set of 4 vacation cabins and live in them with our large family. One we rent out. One is the kitchen/family room/ office. One is for the bigger kids. One is the master downstairs with the little kids in the loft above. When my mom lived with us, she had one as a mother-in-law unit. As the kids grow up and move out, we can rent out another one. We looked at triple wide trailers before finding this place. They were so expensive and what would we do with so much space when all the kids moved out? It's crazy sometimes, you have to shovel snow to go get breakfast in the morning. And pay 4 different utility bills since each one has it's own meter. I have 4 bathrooms and 4 kitchens. But also lots of flexibility, lots of options.

She mentioned in the video that they were going to raise the roof of the teen's loft.

jania
6-2-11, 7:56pm
I saw this video over at the blog The Simple Dollar. I am always so interested in seeing how people are able to live in such small spaces, and am grateful there seem to be people really open to sharing their experience.

The "shot gun" style doesn't appeal to me but the presenter seemed to be happy with the flow of the place and it sounded like the home was constructed with her ideas in mind. It certainly was a frugal decision on the family's part and really seemed to meet their needs. I did like the woman's attitude of focusing on how much she had, rather than on what she lacked or had to live without.

Square Peg, I was sorry for her that she felt she couldn't share her decision with family at first, but I understand that decision. It can be hard to make decisions that go against the thinking of others, especially family. I figure once the change had been made and it was proving successful then she could share and it would be hard for others to try and talk her out of it or tell her what a bad choice she was making.

rosarugosa
6-2-11, 9:00pm
I like that little house; I think DH & I could live in a place like that just fine!

ctg492
7-21-11, 7:01pm
We actually went and walked thru, Ok walked in and turned around, a 10x12 interior space with a front covered porch with built in swing for extra space. The cabin was cedar board with fill between and cedar log with a metal roof. Floor space open, with bed lofts at each end. This was way too cute. No interior finishing at all. Not winterized, nor electrical or plumping. $10,600 done with tax, delivery extra as well as any footings needed.
This was far nicer then a shed"ottage" that frequent the rural northern Michigan areas. I was truly in love with the building and it was quality done.
We have vacant land up north and had to pull in and check this out. After the thrill of cuteness wore off and reality set in, we realized how small it really was. By the time the plumbing/electrical and just fall weather type heating installed we would have a good deal into it. Hard to justify when we could buy a trailer with it all and more space. :( But still so cute.

iris lily
7-21-11, 11:25pm
I've seen part of this video before, but enjoyed seeing the last part. Cute house. Those shotgun houses fascinate me, too.

If I were her I'd not waste space on a vacuum cleaner (I'd have all hard surface floors) nor would I use up precious kitchen space with that tomato slicer device.

pony mom
7-22-11, 11:09pm
Gosh that was a cute home. If I got rid of a LOT of stuff, it would be just enough for myself. I also like that all the furnishings look older, so it has a much lived-in look, nice and cozy.

Mrs-M
7-23-11, 3:39pm
It just goes to show that living small, or at best, smaller, is totally doable when proper planning and structure is incorporated and applied into the arrangement of ones life. It really boils down to possessing the deep down desire (and will) to want to.