PDA

View Full Version : What travel companies do you trust for trips to Europe?

herbgeek
1-8-20, 2:33pm
For a variety of reasons, I'm looking for travel companies that pre-package vacations. I do all the arrangements for domestic vacations, but I'd like to branch out to Europe. I have no idea who is good/who is shady, and some of the places I'd be interested in seeing I don't currently speak the language (so I'd want someone else to do those arrangements). Specifically, I'd like to find a company that organizes hiking/walking vacations whether that be with a guide or just with instructions and hotel reservations. But I'm not limited to hiking. I'm just looking for a rather active trip with perhaps active/curious participants rather than just sitting on a bus for a week or two with dull people.

I know about Road Scholar, and Vermont Bicycle tours (who just bought Country WAlkers). What else is out there that is reputable?

Gardnr
1-8-20, 5:48pm
Rick Steves Tours. My widowed sister took her first trip alone. She had a FABULOUS time in Italy and speaks very highly of how it was organized, nice accommodations, group meals were tasty and the tour guide was above and beyond. She will do another with his company. There was a lot of time spent at sights. She is an active walker and she was not disappointed. And she used the "be back at the bus at X" time for the extra walking she desired.

pinkytoe
1-8-20, 6:35pm
My neighbor has taken several GoAhead tours and highly recommends them.

Simplemind
1-9-20, 2:05pm
We have used.... Vacations by Rail, Tauck, Globus, Trafalger, Luxury Gold and Cosmos (budget level of Globus). We have had more than one trip with all of them with the exception of Cosmos. We have a fabulous time with all of them, even Cosmos for what it was - still had a great time. We have been contemplating Country Walkers or the Wayfarers. You can often find good reviews on TripAdvisor.

KayLR
1-9-20, 3:55pm
I have hiking friends who have done several Roads Scholar trips and highly recommend them.

Teacher Terry
10-30-21, 12:22am
I am wondering if anyone has taken a trip with EF Go Ahead Tours? I am looking at going to Ireland for 11 days in June.

iris lilies
10-30-21, 9:00pm
I am wondering if anyone has taken a trip with EF Go Ahead Tours? I am looking at going to Ireland for 11 days in June.
This sounds wonderful. You will enjoy it.

Teacher Terry
10-30-21, 9:26pm
IL, my friend and I booked it today.