PDA

View Full Version : Martin Luther King on the "creation of the beloved community"

dado potato
1-17-20, 1:04pm
Love is creative and redemptive.

Love builds up and unites; hate tears down and destroys.

The aftermath of the 'fight with fire' method is bitterness and chaos;
the aftermath of the love method is reconciliation and creation of the beloved community.

Yes, love -- which means understanding, creative, redemptive goodwill, even for one's enemies -- is the solution.

-Martin Luther King Jr.

happystuff
1-18-20, 11:32am
Love is creative and redemptive.

Love builds up and unites; hate tears down and destroys.

The aftermath of the 'fight with fire' method is bitterness and chaos;
the aftermath of the love method is reconciliation and creation of the beloved community.

Yes, love -- which means understanding, creative, redemptive goodwill, even for one's enemies -- is the solution.

-Martin Luther King Jr.

I've never seen this before. Thanks for posting.

razz
1-18-20, 12:07pm
I've never seen this before. Thanks for posting.

+1

LDAHL
1-19-20, 4:59pm
One wonders how he might have viewed today’s identity politics.

Alan
1-19-20, 5:27pm
One wonders how he might have viewed today’s identity politics.
I think not well, it goes against the "content of their character rather than......." legacy he left us.

JaneV2.0
1-19-20, 5:30pm
Oh please--stop with the silly "identity politics" shtick.

We all have identities--generally multiple. And we all consider them when we participate in political campaigns and vote.

"White stockholder" is an identity. "Republican" is an identity. "Evangelical Christian" is an identity. You can do better than this.

BTW, that quote was new to me, and a good one.

Alan
1-19-20, 5:32pm
"White stockholder" is an identity. "Republican" is an identity. "Evangelical Christian" is an identity. You can do better than this. Yes they are, but only to those who engage in identity politics. To everyone else, they're just people who happen to be white or Republican or Christian.

LDAHL
1-20-20, 4:29pm
Oh please--stop with the silly "identity politics" shtick.

We all have identities--generally multiple. And we all consider them when we participate in political campaigns and vote.

"White stockholder" is an identity. "Republican" is an identity. "Evangelical Christian" is an identity. You can do better than this.

BTW, that quote was new to me, and a good one.

I think “identity” in the way you are using it is largely useless magical thinking. Can a white stockholder be expected to act or think substantially differently from a black stockholder of the same net worth? Does aggregating yours truly with Warren Buffet make much logical sense? Can there really be some element of solidarity among investors trying to outguess one another?

Using external characteristics to lump people into groups for various purposes, especially in assessing some level of moral indebtedness, does not strike me as consistent with the man’s thinking.

JaneV2.0
1-20-20, 5:19pm
Yes they are, but only to those who engage in identity politics. To everyone else, they're just people who happen to be white or Republican or Christian.

On the other side, as well. What's the point?

Clearly, right-wing talking points are lost on me. We are all informed by various associations; they make us who we are. We vote accordingly. I don't buy that only Republicans are truly objective and pure of motive. I've seen way too much.