PDA

View Full Version : Has Travel Changed You.....

gimmethesimplelife
1-17-20, 1:36pm
In any way, and if so, how?

This for me is a very deep question. An anti semetic experience I encountered in Austria during my first visit there in 1987 haunts me to this day. What I learned from this experience over time is respect for those different from me that pose me no harm.

Interesting it should be Austria that taught me this, but I thought I'd start by answering my question myself. Rob

gimmethesimplelife
1-17-20, 1:40pm
And I posted this to the wrong forum. Alan, could you move the above post to travel? Sorry for the absent mindedness. Rob

Teacher Terry
1-17-20, 1:45pm
I have always been aware of extreme poverty, etc but actually seeing it is disturbing. Many of the Caribbean islands are like this. Touring Auschwitz gave me a panic attack but I worked through it and finished the tour. I love to travel and mostly find it enjoyable.

Alan
1-17-20, 1:59pm
And I posted this to the wrong forum. Alan, could you move the above post to travel? Sorry for the absent mindedness. Rob
Okie Dokie

bae
1-17-20, 2:04pm
An anti semetic experience I encountered in Austria during my first visit there in 1987 haunts me to this day.

What happened?

Yppej
1-17-20, 6:00pm
I have always been aware of extreme poverty, etc but actually seeing it is disturbing. Many of the Caribbean islands are like this. Touring Auschwitz gave me a panic attack but I worked through it and finished the tour. I love to travel and mostly find it enjoyable.

I felt really nauseous and overwhelmed at Dachau.

sweetana3
1-17-20, 6:41pm
I have learned the world is a very small place with everyone trying hard to get ahead. In America we (personally) live a totally protected and privileged life which we should not take for granted.

People in other countries are just as hardworking (maybe more) and want the same for their children.

I can and do look at global news with a different attitude.

catherine
1-17-20, 6:45pm
I can't say it changed me--since I was small I had a fascination with people from other cultures and places--but travel colors my world.

Gardnr
1-17-20, 7:58pm
Spending 30 days in the Netherlands with family at age 18, I have been forever grateful for space. The space in our home (1650sf), the space in our small yard-gigantic compared to my Uncle's who loved to garden, the spread out here in the West in general. 40y later, I still appreciate space.

kib
1-19-20, 7:39pm
I think I am changed when I go somewhere and leave the mentality of day to day concerns behind me. I don't feel like the fact of people's differences and sameness, or even their evilness and goodness, is a lesson I needed to learn in this life, I'm always pushing the boundary of what "normal" or "ok" looks like just because that's how I think, but I need lessons - over and over - in how to let go of making every last detail a harrowing priority and focus on what matters and what is directly in front of me, and travel is a great way to get into that mental space.

iris lilies
1-19-20, 8:11pm
Spending 30 days in the Netherlands with family at age 18, I have been forever grateful for space. The space in our home (1650sf), the space in our small yard-gigantic compared to my Uncle's who loved to garden, the spread out here in the West in general. 40y later, I still appreciate space.
I think that experience is interesting! I can see how a small country with small crowded city street and houses lined up to each other is a big contrast to the wide open spaces of our West.

Gardnr
1-19-20, 8:55pm
I think that experience is interesting! I can see how a small country with small crowded city street and houses lined up to each other is a big contrast to the wide open spaces of our West.

1 of Dad's sister's along w/husband, raised 3 kids in 400sf 3rd floor walkup. They had a murphy bed in the dining room and a curtain they drew across after moving the table/chairs into the Living Room at bedtime. I believe they were in that apartment until my uncle died last decade. Their kitchen was a 1 sided galley perhaps 12f long. 4cf fridge, 2 burner stove.

We are indeed spoiled.

iris lilies
1-19-20, 9:06pm
1 of Dad's sister's along w/husband, raised 3 kids in 400sf 3rd floor walkup. They had a murphy bed in the dining room and a curtain they drew across after moving the table/chairs into the Living Room at bedtime. I believe they were in that apartment until my uncle died last decade. Their kitchen was a 1 sided galley perhaps 12f long. 4cf fridge, 2 burner stove.

We are indeed spoiled.

Our Swiss relatives have big houses. I was surprised about how big the old houses are. They are many stories and I think they are weirdly designed, but there is a lot of square footage. And low ceilings. They are not the English style of houses.

gimmethesimplelife
1-20-20, 11:24am
What happened?It's very hard for me to discuss, Bae. Let's just say I saw the dark side of Austria beyond the wonderful social welfare and the higher than US standard of living, especially for the working class - I saw the dark side up close and personal. And to this day have major issues with it. Rob

happystuff
1-24-20, 4:43pm
Yes, I like to think travel has changed me in positive ways.

I was an exchange student at 17 and the experience definitely had an impact - the sights, sounds, people, living day-to-day, etc. But I believe I have changed even more from that experience as I have aged. I was young and more "un-thinking" back then, and as I've aged, I realize how much I would like to have done different. (But - at the same time, having things happen as they did - I've learned.)

Traveling as an adult, I think I am more adventurous then when I was younger, and it makes a difference in how I perceive things and, hopefully, how I am perceived (again, positively, I hope.)

Teacher Terry
1-24-20, 6:51pm
We had a friend come over last night that’s from Scotland. She had great tips on what to see there and in Ireland. She also warned us that if we rode in a black taxi in Northern Ireland to not answer any questions relating to politics or religion. She said if they ask don’t answer or they may find your bodies in a field. Lots of tensions leftover from the war.

pinkytoe
1-24-20, 11:44pm
When I was a young woman, I lived in interior Mexico for a while and learned a whole other way of life. Even this many years later, those experiences stuck with me about how tight hispanic families and communities can be. It was pretty wonderful by comparison.