PDA

View Full Version : Paper ballots

jp1
2-4-20, 12:26am
I’m curious to see how Iowa plays out but it’s clear to me that we should be using paper ballots or at least paper voting receipts. The chaos in Iowa right now is unacceptable.

bae
2-4-20, 2:00am
Do they even use ballots for caucusing though?

When I went to the WA state one, they just did nosecounts of the herds of people, and then the Folks In Charge reported it up the foodchain in a process which clearly was subject to tight audit controls....

LDAHL
2-4-20, 6:07am
Some sort of information must be filtering through the murk. Else how could Mayor Pete be boasting of “improbable hope becoming undeniable reality”. He’s risking looking pretty stupid if the numbers show his reality to be deniable.

Tradd
2-4-20, 9:23am
We still have the choice of paper ballots in Cook County, IL (where Chicago is located).

NewGig
2-4-20, 9:28am
We use paper ballots here.

iris lilies
2-4-20, 9:28am
We have paper ballots as a choice in the corrupt voting land of the Democratically controlled city of St. Louis. I am sure there is a way to thwart them.

DH showed up to work the polls one day to find someone had stolen all of the paper ballots. They were blank of course. But geez.

So I am a little confused here: voting is easily corruptible, but voter registration is not easily corruptible? I find it hard to keep up with with side is on the side of Right and Good.

Tybee
2-4-20, 12:07pm
Do they even use ballots for caucusing though?

When I went to the WA state one, they just did nosecounts of the herds of people, and then the Folks In Charge reported it up the foodchain in a process which clearly was subject to tight audit controls....

No, they do the nosecount and then write it down on paper. They were using the app to upload the screenshot of the paper. Then things went awry:

"App failures during the caucuses
One precinct chair in Iowa describing the failure of the app, saying that the app got stuck on the very last step when reporting results, which was uploading a picture of the precinct's results.

The chair said they were finally able to upload and screenshotted what they uploaded. Then the app showed different numbers than what they had submitted as captured in their screenshot.
This story is breaking and will be updated.

CNN's Jeff Zeleny contributed to this reporting."

bae
2-4-20, 12:18pm
No, they do the nosecount and then write it down on paper. They were using the app to upload the screenshot of the paper. Then things went awry

Each "voter" at the caucus doesn't have a piece of paper though, right? The "ballot" in this case is the simple count for the entire caucus location? (Containing this year the complexities of more-than-one number....)

This whole "caucus" business needs to end if we are going to pretend that each Party's selection of its candidate is remotely democratic and inclusive.

Teacher Terry
2-4-20, 12:34pm
Bae, I agree that we should go to primary elections only.

bae
2-4-20, 12:46pm

When I participated in the local caucuses, there seemed quite a few problems with the system.

This is in perhaps the most progressive county in the State, and the organizers were really trying to be careful about the caucus, but still:

- the attendees did not seem to represent the overall demographics of the local party, or of the community. In particular, people who had children seemed greatly underrepresented, probably because of the timing of the event, its duration, and such. The elderly and less-mobile were underrepresented. People with lower economic means were underrepresented. Our Hispanic community was almost absent. And so on.

- the process used did not encourage discussion, debate, decision-making, it was simply a mob scene

catherine
2-4-20, 12:47pm
I think I oversold DH on conspiracy theories to thwart the Sanders campaign. He thinks the DNC saw Bernie and Buttigieg were performing well and then "coincidentally" the app failed. Blame it on the app.

I'm not going that far.

bae
2-4-20, 12:49pm
I think I oversold DH on conspiracy theories to thwart the Sanders campaign. He thinks the DNC saw Bernie and Buttigieg were performing well and then "coincidentally" the app failed. Blame it on the app.

After all this fuss the last few years about election influence, hacking, transparency, and such - you'd think one of the most important counting events of this election cycle would have been tested, inspected, audited, monitored, and all of that. How shameful that the failure of a single app in some minor state may have thrown the election to Trump.

Tybee
2-4-20, 12:50pm
Each "voter" at the caucus doesn't have a piece of paper though, right? The "ballot" in this case is the simple count for the entire caucus location? (Containing this year the complexities of more-than-one number....)

This whole "caucus" business needs to end if we are going to pretend that each Party's selection of its candidate is remotely democratic and inclusive.

That's right. It is not a ballot system. The only ballot paper is the simple count for the whole location. It is a nosecount.

Tybee
2-4-20, 12:51pm

I'm not going that far.

He is not alone in thinking that; there are reports that it was switching Bernie votes to Buttigieg votes.

catherine
2-4-20, 12:57pm
After all this fuss the last few years about election influence, hacking, transparency, and such - you'd think one of the most important counting events of this election cycle would have been tested, inspected, audited, monitored, and all of that.

I know, right?? They should have been testing it every which way over the last 6 months.

ApatheticNoMore
2-4-20, 12:59pm
Also reports that the Buttigieg campaign had invested in the company that made the app. If that turns out to be true .. not a good look.

Tybee
2-4-20, 1:01pm
Yeah, the unfortunately named "Shadow Corporation." On track for use in Nevada.
Come on, guys.

bae
2-4-20, 1:04pm
I know, right?? They should have been testing it every which way over the last 6 months.

In my county, which is vote-by-mail only, with paper ballots, they run several audited tests of the counting software/hardware/process - these tests are monitored by representatives of parties, and by interested citizens.

We still somehow have problems. State law forbids unique identifiers on ballots, ours *do* have them because "it makes the ballot tracking software's job easier", and we've been assured that there is no possibility of establishing any correspondence between that unique identifier and any individual voter. Yet, two different times, we have been able to produce the entire ballot -> voter list with only a little bit of work.... Any insider would have found that job even easier.

We've taken the County to court on this issue multiple times, each time we win they tinker with the process a teeny bit and claim it is a different process, and that the previous court decisions don't apply.

Some day there will be a change methinks.

Teacher Terry
2-4-20, 1:05pm
Bae, I participated in one caucus and it’s as you describe.

bae
2-4-20, 1:06pm
Also reports that the Buttigieg campaign had invested in the company that made the app. If that turns out to be true .. not a good look.

Is that a True Fact, or some cool bit of agitprop circulated by Russian hackers?

I mean, for instance, what business does a political campaign have in investing money in any for-profit enterprise. That seems outside the bounds of allowable campaign spending, or standard money management practices for such entities.

I'd like to see some real documentation of this claim, as the "Pete's campaign bought out the app" story is spreading like wildfire, as disinformation tends to do these days....

bae
2-4-20, 1:12pm
Additional spin on Iowa popping up in my various bubbles this morning:

- Local Democrat luminaries are blaming this all on Bernie, because he wickedly during the last cycle got the Party to agree to report the intermediate numbers from the caucus, not just the final roll-up. Apparently reporting 2-3 numbers instead of just one has strained the capacity of the caucus system somehow....

- Trumpers I know are blaming The Deep State, in particular the CIA, for hacking the app, so that they can influence the election and select the next president

- The Senior CIA official who came by my house for coffee yesterday believed it would snow today here, and heavily, contrary to the weather prediction. He was completely correct.

Alan
2-4-20, 1:21pm
Is that a True Fact, or some cool bit of agitprop circulated by Russian hackers?

Perhaps, MSNBC has reported the Buttigieg campaign has contracted with the company to produce some sort of app for their use. Not the same as making an investment in the company but people hear what they want to hear.

bae
2-4-20, 1:24pm
Perhaps, MSNBC has reported the Buttigieg campaign has contracted with the company to produce some sort of app for their use. Not the same as making an investment in the company but people hear what they want to hear.

Probably a nuance that will be lost.

I'm still impressed with my CIA guy - two inches of snow so far in the last hour. Those CIA weather-control lasers are great!

Tybee
2-4-20, 1:26pm

Correct. This is what the LA Times reported:

Among Shadow’s clients is Pete Buttegieg’s presidential campaign, which paid $42,500 (https://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/fecimg/?201910159164666043) to the firm in July 2019 (https://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/fecimg/?202001089167122091) for “software rights and subscriptions,” according to disclosures to the FEC. A spokesman for the campaign says the payment was for a service used to send text messages to voters. The campaigns of Joe Biden and Kirsten Gillibrand, who withdrew from the race last year, also made smaller payments to Shadow.

bae
2-4-20, 1:29pm
Listening to CNN this morning try to explain the caucus mess, and at the same time propose that Iowa both doesn't matter, and matters hugely, is just hilarious good fun.

If the snow wasn't so bad this morning, I'd go down to the village and get some popcorn.

Alan
2-4-20, 1:33pm
Listening to CNN this morning try to explain the caucus mess, and at the same time propose that Iowa both doesn't matter, and matters hugely, is just hilarious good fun.

If the snow wasn't so bad this morning, I'd go down to the village and get some popcorn.I don't see the big deal. So what if the results are delayed for a day? One pundit I saw this morning says Iowa must be punished for their racist disregard. I think pundits should be screened better.

JaneV2.0
2-4-20, 2:32pm
Probably a nuance that will be lost.

I'm still impressed with my CIA guy - two inches of snow so far in the last hour. Those CIA weather-control lasers are great!

My Amazon delivery is two stops away. I hope s/he doesn't get stopped by the blizzard. :~)
(It just started snowing lightly--or maybe a rain/snow mix. We don't get much weather here...)

JaneV2.0
2-4-20, 2:37pm
I never went to a caucus here; it sounded to me like an extrovert's dream.

As many have pointed out, caucuses are--or should be--passe'. They don't work for the elderly, disabled, working, rural, and lots of other people.

Someone described Iowa as Red Rover with tallies. That's what it sounded like.

Yppej
2-4-20, 5:40pm
Some sort of information must be filtering through the murk. Else how could Mayor Pete be boasting of “improbable hope becoming undeniable reality”. He’s risking looking pretty stupid if the numbers show his reality to be deniable.

The latest news per NBC is that the spouse of a senior Buttigieg campaign staffer works for Shadow.

iris lilies
2-4-20, 5:52pm

We Iowans will fight you on that. Iowa wont give up its First in the Nation status easily.

Meanwhile, my brother is reporting that the Iowa Libertarian party will caucus on Saturday and said “we will announce our results at the same time as the Democrats.” Haha

iris lilies
2-4-20, 6:36pm
I don't see the big deal. So what if the results are delayed for a day? One pundit I saw this morning says Iowa must be punished for their racist disregard. I think pundits should be screened better.

ok, why was Iowa racist in the caucus process? I will probably regret asking this.

Yppej
2-4-20, 6:42pm
Not racist, but lacking in diversity IL is what has been argued for years.

More info - a Hillary Clinton senior campaign aide was a key figure at Shadow.

bae
2-4-20, 6:49pm
More info - a Hillary Clinton senior campaign aide was a key figure at Shadow.

Were the names SPECTRE, SMERSH, and KAOS already taken?

Alan
2-4-20, 7:15pm
ok, why was Iowa racist in the caucus process? I will probably regret asking this.She argued that the Democratic Party belongs to black people and with Iowa being lily white and the first state to participate in the caucus/primary system those same white racists had undue influence on the real Democrats choices.

That idea seems to be gaining traction so I think we'll be hearing a lot about relegating Iowa to a Super Tuesday participation going forward.

bae
2-4-20, 7:19pm
That idea seems to be gaining traction so I think we'll be hearing a lot about relegating Iowa to a Super Tuesday participation going forward.

Couldn't any of the other 49 states simply decide to go first, and not let Iowa rule the roost?

Alan
2-4-20, 7:23pm
Were the names SPECTRE, SMERSH, and KAOS already taken? From their website (https://shadowinc.io/about): "Our passion is to create a permanent advantage for progressive campaigns and causes through technology." I think they're controlled by the Beagle Boys

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/The_Beagle_Boys.jpg

Yppej
2-4-20, 7:29pm
From their website (https://shadowinc.io/about): "
Our passion is to create a permanent advantage for progressive campaigns
 and causes through technology."

I think they were inspired by the Beagle Boys. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/The_Beagle_Boys.jpg

Clinton and Buttigieg are not from the progressive wing of the party. I am curious when all the votes are in does Bernie pull into first place, but his strong precincts were excluded from the 62% released to the press to favor Buttigieg. If there is 100% paper backup why can't 100% of results be released? They've had plenty of time.

Alan
2-4-20, 7:29pm
Couldn't any of the other 49 states simply decide to go first, and not let Iowa rule the roost?Who would you prefer rule the roost?

Yppej
2-4-20, 7:30pm
There should be a rotating schedule. No state should be first all the time. Or we could have a national primary day when everyone votes.

iris lilies
2-4-20, 7:34pm
Couldn't any of the other 49 states simply decide to go first, and not let Iowa rule the roost?
Uhhh, the second in line,
New Hampshire, is even whiter.

bae
2-4-20, 7:37pm
Who would you prefer rule the roost?

Puerto Rico, or Guam perhaps.

JaneV2.0
2-5-20, 11:35am

No one has explained to me why a national primary holiday hasn't been instituted. That would take care of it. Add paper ballots and a solid recount procedure, and we'd be in business.

Alan
2-5-20, 11:44am
No one has explained to me why a national primary holiday hasn't been instituted.I guess because the states still insist on appearing to maintain a hold on some level of sovereignty, much to the disdain of those in favor of top down control by a centralized government.

If a state wishes to uphold tradition with a caucus held early in an election year, why should any other state or governing entity have veto power?

bae
2-5-20, 11:48am
No one has explained to me why a national primary holiday hasn't been instituted.

No one has explained to me why private political parties get such support from the government.

I mean, when my Poultry Club wants to prepare a ballot for leadership, we don't get to use the county elections services, unless we pay for them. Why should the Bull Moose Party get special treatment?

bae
2-5-20, 11:49am
If a state wishes to uphold tradition with a caucus held early in an election year, why should any other state or governing entity have veto power?

Shouldn't the timing and manner be the sole affair of the private political party that is trying to select their candidates? Why is the state involved?

Teacher Terry
2-5-20, 11:50am
Nevada has decided not to use the same app as Iowa. Like your new avatar Alan and too funny what you put instead of senior member:))

Alan
2-5-20, 12:05pm
Like your new avatar Alan
That was me during the Eisenhower administration. I was slightly cuter then.

Teacher Terry
2-5-20, 12:27pm
Alan, you were adorable!

Alan
2-5-20, 12:52pm
You should have seen me in my 50's rat pack suit when photographers used to take a black and white photo then add color, sometimes even turning brown eyes blue.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/cgeUrsyZYkQNHk25-Okuczja7z1WNwWNLEtefy76uuuU_VD37nxuhxDe4nWEeLbd4p_ sdQaiOb1_CpHrv-lSlIQsnTZzHMUdm5U7DZOQ3oG3HZDVmmHAMh3BoQ0m_EP1FlMJ-7nZCEBrf24Vtz6uOKpMRPcGmbtClMTJtEvD4q-aZTvp2aTt2wHUb2gnVM4pCBZaE7U9UcHKw5ENSUe52XTMtXWn3 MjEylsDyEjXPAGxo3Ixu4LZP9OTV_9neZY64FP17onyk7xETtf n_GR4Bm_eTMy_39VzABpkLNzoJgHMWe2Plvso6ruFpNpDqQ0G2 _SB56nQbtfhh9zUSZ_KOm4at4W6_syx9NUYORrkSbtGbjD0MmS iL7cuoQzU-oRVTiWmeeszsvOGevEM8jAtkVTrCio7BT5E8daeHvNtwSbcvCj XIQkbxjwS3Zl4q4d8P9akCdxcv5CiS00HFxla4b6T-yENyZJuvaW5e_x543Z_HtV7E5jEYPXfRqebN0SyMdNch9pZcXP liTCBJ03EDkHjUqRuRfz3K0zoZrOAWbDz9_wNByYiPzcsBqZ5c egHBKuRUukh4K2EG3bgZJPXVUjP8WZTlsDhih_xxDCNE5vZOt2 iD6LWxu8i4x7NK1aVPYmnKkzrSHkP8PCu_GzPP8np6w4W9kZ82 25fVWsqqemIA9E7Uij4XFvl=w481-h641-no

LDAHL
2-5-20, 1:15pm
Shouldn't the timing and manner be the sole affair of the private political party that is trying to select their candidates? Why is the state involved?

Why indeed? And why just the major parties needing to go through primaries? Has the quality of candidates improved since the seventies?

If a party chooses it’s candidates via smoke filled rooms, convention or interpretive dance, shouldn’t that be their business?

Yppej
2-5-20, 5:14pm
The new nickname out there is MayorCheat.

JaneV2.0
2-5-20, 5:22pm
The new nickname out there is MayorCheat.

The Russian disinformation factory is working overtime, I see.

LDAHL
2-5-20, 6:23pm
The Russian disinformation factory is working overtime, I see.

Why do you need Kremlin Konspiracy Theories when the normal rivals’ resentment over his premature annunciation seems like a perfectly adequate explanation?

iris lilies
2-5-20, 7:09pm
You should have seen me in my 50's rat pack suit when photographers used to take a black and white photo then add color, sometimes even turning brown eyes blue.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/cgeUrsyZYkQNHk25-Okuczja7z1WNwWNLEtefy76uuuU_VD37nxuhxDe4nWEeLbd4p_ sdQaiOb1_CpHrv-lSlIQsnTZzHMUdm5U7DZOQ3oG3HZDVmmHAMh3BoQ0m_EP1FlMJ-7nZCEBrf24Vtz6uOKpMRPcGmbtClMTJtEvD4q-aZTvp2aTt2wHUb2gnVM4pCBZaE7U9UcHKw5ENSUe52XTMtXWn3 MjEylsDyEjXPAGxo3Ixu4LZP9OTV_9neZY64FP17onyk7xETtf n_GR4Bm_eTMy_39VzABpkLNzoJgHMWe2Plvso6ruFpNpDqQ0G2 _SB56nQbtfhh9zUSZ_KOm4at4W6_syx9NUYORrkSbtGbjD0MmS iL7cuoQzU-oRVTiWmeeszsvOGevEM8jAtkVTrCio7BT5E8daeHvNtwSbcvCj XIQkbxjwS3Zl4q4d8P9akCdxcv5CiS00HFxla4b6T-yENyZJuvaW5e_x543Z_HtV7E5jEYPXfRqebN0SyMdNch9pZcXP liTCBJ03EDkHjUqRuRfz3K0zoZrOAWbDz9_wNByYiPzcsBqZ5c egHBKuRUukh4K2EG3bgZJPXVUjP8WZTlsDhih_xxDCNE5vZOt2 iD6LWxu8i4x7NK1aVPYmnKkzrSHkP8PCu_GzPP8np6w4W9kZ82 25fVWsqqemIA9E7Uij4XFvl=w481-h641-no

Aww, I’ll bet your mom thought you looked like a little angel.

iris lilies
2-5-20, 8:21pm
So—late this afternoon the Iowa Democrats released more caucus data and it showed a huge following for former Mass.Gov.Patrick, 21 delegates! That put Patrick way way way over Warren and Biden. It put Patrick very near to Mayor Pete and Bernie.

But then, oops! Those Patrick results were declared incorrect. They were adjusted to show Patrick with 0 delegates.

W the actual F is going on in Iowa.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/elections/presidential/caucus/2020/02/05/iowa-democratic-party-reports-iowa-caucus-results-with-errors/4672474002/

Alan
2-5-20, 8:43pm
hmmm, math is hard?

jp1
2-5-20, 9:21pm
So—late this afternoon the Iowa Democrats released more caucus data and it showed a huge following for former Mass.Gov.Patrick, 21 delegates! That put Patrick way way way over Warren and Biden. It put Patrick very near to Mayor Pete and Bernie.

But then, oops! Those Patrick results were declared incorrect. They were adjusted to show Patrick with 0 delegates.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/elections/presidential/caucus/2020/02/05/iowa-democratic-party-reports-iowa-caucus-results-with-errors/4672474002/
Maybe they outsourced election management to Florida?

iris lilies
2-5-20, 10:00pm
Maybe they outsourced election management to Florida?

I expect my local city politicians have sent a delegation to Iowa to steal tips from their brethren about creating chaos to cover dirty elections.

Tybee
2-6-20, 4:20am

Wow, thanks for the link; seriously, they should throw the whole thing out and move on.

bae
2-6-20, 1:48pm
Iowa continues to sink into the swamp trying to get the counts done.

At this point, how can anyone believe any numbers coming out of there?

The national Democratic Party chairman just demanded a complete recanvas.

Can we get UN observers on the ground?

catherine
2-6-20, 1:51pm
Iowa continues to sink into the swamp trying to get the counts done.

At this point, how can anyone believe any numbers coming out of there?

The national Democratic Party chairman just demanded a complete recanvas.

Can we get UN observers on the ground?

I know. Very discouraging. Meanwhile Truthdig is cautioning that Bernie will be scr*wed out of CA again. I used to be naive and believe what the news told me. Both political parties are changing that.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/theyre-going-to-try-to-steal-california-from-sanders-again/

bae
2-6-20, 1:51pm
Here's a fun thing to look at:

How many people "voted", that is, expressed a preference at this amazing caucus process?

What is the margin of "victory" right now?

Why does the nation put up with this nonsense?

ApatheticNoMore
2-6-20, 2:00pm
Pete and Bernie in a near tie (Pete ahead by .1%) with 97% counted, and NOW they are going to recount everything. I'm sorry I'm not particularly prone to giving into paranoia (uh reporting on what is discussed in MAINSTREAM MEDIA is just that, if someone thinks every mainstream media source out there is Russian asset, I can't help them).

Before this latest: I would have said something like "the delay is suspicious as heck, but the paper trail is encouraging, the conflict of interests with Shadow should not be there and are unseemly seeming but probably aren't a smoking gun ..."

But now. Screw it. I'm just going to say, it's rigged, rigged, rigged, rigged as a ship, rigged as an oil rig.

bae
2-6-20, 2:04pm
"You know, comrades, that I think in regard to this: I consider it completely unimportant who in the party will vote, or how; but what is extraordinarily important is this—who will count the votes, and how."

LDAHL
2-6-20, 2:23pm
But now. Screw it. I'm just going to say, it's rigged, rigged, rigged, rigged as a ship, rigged as an oil rig.

I don’t know about that. It would be too flagrant for a good rigging.

I think Hanlon’s Razor can be applied here.

jp1
2-6-20, 8:41pm
As someone who underwrites technology errors & omissions and data breach insurance I agree with this 100%.

JaneV2.0
2-7-20, 9:57am
Republican operatives added to the confusion by jamming phone lines. What was the point of that kind of sabotage? Practice, I guess.

iris lilies
2-7-20, 10:19am
As someone who underwrites technology errors & omissions and data breach insurance I agree with this 100%.3117

Jp this did not load for me.

Alan
2-7-20, 10:20am
Jp this did not load for me.Maybe this will help. This is at original size so it's still a little hard to read, at least for my old eyes.

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3117

iris lilies
2-7-20, 10:26am
Republican operatives added to the confusion by jamming phone lines. What was the point of that kind of sabotage? Practice, I guess.wait, what? I didnt get my orders to call those Iowa phone lines. Did “they” (the giant conspiracy ) skip me purposely?

Alan, did you receive your orders to f-k up Iowa’s election reports?

I will ask my brother in Iowa if he participated in that. But as a never-Trumper, he may not be considered a real Republican by the Iowa Republican party so they may have skipped him as well.So many questions coming out of that Iowa experience.

And today we all move on to NH. Jeppy are you up for it?

LDAHL
2-7-20, 10:45am
All in all, not a great week for the Democrats. A botched caucus, an acquittal, a galling and tantrum-inspiring SOTU address, bad news from Gallup and a fair amount of intra-party friction. Now we see Bloomberg perched like a vulture on a pile of cash waiting for Super Tuesday to sell himself as the pragmatic choice. The economy stubbornly refuses to implode, and there is a contest appearing between the revolutionaries and incrementalists with the reforees being perhaps somewhat less than impartial.

If this continues, with no clear leader emerging, the national convention will be well worth watching. Unless one of those bombshells we keep hearing about actually lands on target, the GOP convention will be a tedious and vulgar coronation ceremony. For that reason alone, I hope things go better in New Hampshire.

iris lilies
2-7-20, 10:55am
All in all, not a great week for the Democrats. A botched caucus, an acquittal, a galling and tantrum-inspiring SOTU address, bad news from Gallup and a fair amount of intra-party friction. Now we see Bloomberg perched like a vulture on a pile of cash waiting for Super Tuesday to sell himself as the pragmatic choice. The economy stubbornly refuses to implode, and there is a contest appearing between the revolutionaries and incrementalists with the reforees being perhaps somewhat less than impartial.

If this continues, with no clear leader emerging, the national convention will be well worth watching. Unless one of those bombshells we keep hearing about actually lands on target, the GOP convention will be a tedious and vulgar coronation ceremony. For that reason alone, I hope things go better in New Hampshire.
I love this summary of the state of our political world. Tedious and vulgar coronation indeed.

JaneV2.0
2-7-20, 11:03am
I'm pretty sure Never Trumpers weren't invited to participate. There's a new pac (Lincoln Project) formed to fight Trump and presumably come up with opposing candidates. I would have thrown some money their way, but they apparently don't take PayPal.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/06/iowa-caucus-hotline-posted-online-with-encouragement-to-disrupt-results-reporting.html

ETA: The Lincoln Project (made up of Never Trumpers, if I didn't mention that), does indeed take PayPal donations.

Alan
2-7-20, 11:38am
Alan, did you receive your orders to f-k up Iowa’s election reports?
No I didn't, and I thought I was a member in good standing.
I heard about this yesterday, after the fact, and was actually surprised it took the Democrats so long to blame Iowa's problems on Republicans, they really need to up their game.

Yppej
2-7-20, 5:08pm
IL I am getting pizza tonight for debate watching. I have been ready, but still can't color in Iowa on my big election map.

Simone
2-8-20, 10:02pm
The latest news per NBC is that the spouse of a senior Buttigieg campaign staffer works for Shadow.

On February 6, this was reported in some detail on the New Yorker: Politics and More podcast.
http://feeds.wnyc.org/tnypoliticalscene

More about "privately owned election technology" and the "menace" it poses:
https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/the-lesson-american-voters-can-learn-from-iowa

Two more comments:
On another post, someone mentioned a twitter thread, allegedly begun by Monica Lewinsky, who was offering to fellate Trump if that would result in witnesses being called. That was a bogus tweet. I wish we could lift her out of disgrace as fully as we seem to have lifted Clinton. Lately I see we accept his post-impeachment remorse as genuine. I believe it was merely strategic.

Regarding Buttigieg, I thought he was really skewered by Linsey Davis. As the Guardian reported:
Buttigieg, who has struggled to appeal to non-white voters, repeatedly deflected a question about the rate of arrests of African Americans increasing while he was mayor of South Bend, Indiana. Moderator Linsey Davis asked Warren if Buttigieg’s answer was sufficient. “No,” Warren replied, in one of very few standout moments of the night, prompting applause. “We cannot just say that criminal justice is the only time we want to talk about race,” she added.

I do not see a path for Buttigieg without African American and Latinx support.

Tybee
2-9-20, 10:12am
"More about "privately owned election technology" and the "menace" it poses:"

Indeed. I class ActBlue in this category, and no longer make any contributions there. If I want to contribute, I send it to the candidate's campaign directly.

Teacher Terry
2-19-20, 10:42am
So Nevada is using paper ballots at their caucuses after what happened in Iowa. Democrats are really showing up to vote early at the caucuses. My back is out really bad so can’t stand for 4 hours. My husband drove me around until we found a site less crowded and dropped me off at the door. Then he parked and came in and was standing for me so I could sit. When a worker heard me say my back was out she took me to a separate room where I could sit and a worker came to me. Still took 90 minutes. If Democrats come out in force all over the country we could take back the presidency.

Tybee
2-19-20, 11:11am
So Nevada is using paper ballots at their caucuses after what happened in Iowa. Democrats are really showing up to vote early at the caucuses. My back is out really bad so can’t stand for 4 hours. My husband drove me around until we found a site less crowded and dropped me off at the door. Then he parked and came in and was standing for me so I could sit. When a worker heard me say my back was out she took me to a separate room where I could sit and a worker came to me. Still took 90 minutes. If Democrats come out in force all over the country we could take back the presidency.

Way to rock the vote TT, hope back gets better soon

LDAHL
2-19-20, 11:15am
If Democrats come out in force all over the country we could take back the presidency.

That’s generally been true for the last century or so, and would especially seem to apply this year. The problem with this cycle for the Democrats is to decide on a candidate without alienating the losers’ adherents to the point where they stay away out of pique.

Teacher Terry
2-19-20, 11:35am
My husband is a Republican but said he will vote Democrat if the candidate is Bernie or someone else he likes. I see the chiropractor today and that should fix my back.