PDA

View Full Version : Rhythmically Challenged?

Kestra
6-4-11, 12:16pm
Not necessarily health related, but about an exercise class I just tried.
Does anyone else feel that activities like aerobics or dancing are just beyond their comprehension?
The warm-up was aerobics type stuff - you know - music and instructor doing confusing things while all the other ladies seemed to follow along well. But I'm just floundering around attempting to move my feet and arms in an awkward fashion so I'm not just standing there, but all the while thinking that I need an "aerobics for dummies" class. I just don't get it. My body doesn't work like that. I can't/don't dance either. I need very precise detailed instructions.

And I'm not unathletic, generally. I made it through 6 years of karate among other things. But in karate we broke movements down so precisely, that even I eventually appeared to have some sense of rhythm.

But trying to follow something free-form like that, and exercising with music on, instead of specific instruction...not happening in this lifetime. Luckily, the ability to do aerobics doesn't seem to be a required life skill.

jennipurrr
6-4-11, 5:55pm
YES! I am horrendous at keeping time or rhythm in any sort of fast paced way. I am not a natural dancer either, even just free form get on the dance floor type stuff. I am also pretty clumsy in general, I spill drinks, I hit my shoulder on the side of doorways, etc.

It took me many weeks of the same aerobics class to get the routine down and then the instructor went and changed it up, for variety! I am always going left when I should be going right, and vice versa. It helps me to have a friend so you can just laugh about it...otherwise I am pretty self conscious. I had a friend who was much better at it than me but one day kicked the step clear across the room. Right now I am in more of a running phase exercise wise and I am much better at that than aerobics!

Rosemary
6-4-11, 7:48pm
Give it time. It is brain exercise! Moving multiple body parts to music while watching an instructor - allow at least a few sessions to begin to learn the routines. If the instructor is facing you, then your brain is also translating right-to-left and vice versa. I do Zumba and had never done much like this before - but really learned what a brain challenge it can be. I usually start with legs and add the arms after I've got everything else down for a particular song.

Kestra
6-4-11, 10:38pm
Give it time. It is brain exercise! Moving multiple body parts to music while watching an instructor - allow at least a few sessions to begin to learn the routines. If the instructor is facing you, then your brain is also translating right-to-left and vice versa. I do Zumba and had never done much like this before - but really learned what a brain challenge it can be. I usually start with legs and add the arms after I've got everything else down for a particular song.

You're probably right. I'm just concerned that in the specific class there might not be any consistency to help me learn since it was just a warm-up. I feel like such a dork in that type of environment (and that's not normal for me). And the instructor was using language I didn't understand - like I need an aerobics-to-English dictionary, plus not being able to hear properly with the music and microphone set-up. I think with a different class/instructor it might be better. It's at the Y, so I'll try some of the other class styles. It was a strength training class, and there wasn't anything I couldn't have done on my own with free weights and/or machines. I'm glad it was free.

Rosemary
6-4-11, 10:56pm
Ha! I hear you - I took a step class at the Y a few years ago - just one session - and definitely needed additional translation! But what I've noticed in most classes is that no one has time to watch me anyway - they're all too busy thinking they look like dorks, too, and trying to figure out what they're supposed to be doing. Watching me is not going to help them in any way! So I dwell on that less now.

SRP
6-6-11, 2:01pm
If you really want to learn stuff like that, try buying a DVD and practicing at home. Then you can pause and replay any part you don't get until you learn it. Once you get it down and your body gets used to moving that way, the live classes will be easier too. But like you said, it's not a required life skill. :)