PDA

View Full Version : Will you do anything differently once we're back to normal?

Tradd
4-6-20, 2:47pm
Will you do anything differently once we've got the all clear or will you continue certain habits you've picked up?

Examples -

*I know people who've always been check/cash only. They've switched to debit card/Apple Pay, etc., for in-store transactions and online bill pay for utilities, etc.

*Grocery pickup or delivery

*Ordering much more online - I'm doing this, ordering even toiletries and such online. My allergy meds containing pseudoephedrine must be bought in-store at the pharmacy and signed for.

*I have several friends who refused to sign up for FaceBook, but due to the stay at home orders, signed up.

*Keeping more of a stock of food, etc., at home, rather than almost bare cupboards.

What about you?

razz
4-6-20, 3:17pm
While I have enjoyed a slower pace since so many of my usual activities are unavailable, I liked my life and preparation before so little has to change now or later. I think that I mostly go with the flow whatever and wherever it takes me as a retired individual.
Having the gorgeous spring weather has made the whole experience quite enjoyable despite the significant limitations.

Tybee
4-6-20, 3:42pm
Not a big deal, but I will have more of an emergency pantry such as I have now, and will keep it stocked.

I'd like to organize it better and just have backups on everything we regularly use on things like soap, and keep those things stocked at all times.

Will probably start attending church a lot more regularly! It has been the biggest loss, outside of the bigger losses of being able to be with family.

catherine
4-6-20, 4:05pm
Will probably start attending church a lot more regularly! It has been the biggest loss, outside of the bigger losses of being able to be with family.

In NJ, we started going to an Episcopal church in Asbury Park. We haven't been to any church in years, but DH felt like going. We LOVED it. It was perfect for us. Unfortunately, we can't bring the church up to VT. So we are definitely open to finding a church that works for both a Scottish Presbyterian and an Irish Catholic. The Episcopal church bridges that gap--I'm amazed I never thought of it before.

I've been watching Facebook services given by my old NJ church--the pastor there is not technological savvy, so he's delegated the service to his son (an antiques dealer) and other members of the small congregation. It's made me feel at home and the readings and home-spun sermons have been great.

Gardnr
4-6-20, 4:11pm
Nope. As a RN I'm a well-trained hand washer. As an Infection Preventionist-even better! When you work in Surgery for 39 years, you sure the hell learn NEVER to touch yourself:cool: I generally have enough food around for 2 weeks. I hate to shop, buy very little online unless its a consumable I can no longer get in town.

Having retired in July and enjoyed having a nearly empty monthly calendar for 8 months, I've been training for this:~) I just called a GF to reply to her text. I said "I really need a voice right now". So we chatted for 20 minutes. So I'm good for another week!

ApatheticNoMore
4-6-20, 4:21pm
Maybe I'll shop once a week, but truth is I did one *BIG* grocery trip a week anyway, but could easily supplement it before, if I forgot something it wasn't a crisis, working walking distance to a TJs.

Maybe keep a bit more on stock, only of foods I actually eat and TP and household products. Don't wait to buy stuff so much saying "I'll think about that purchase" (now I can't buy anything some good mulling over purchases did me). Donate stuff to the thrift right away too (now I can't donate anything). Keep faster internet at home.

Nah I haven't done faceborg in a decade and why would I start now. I'd probably go back to cash rather than the credit card but shrug, it makes no real difference to me, but cash is probably a better way to track spending. I don't care about spending now is all, I'm buying my birth family food and not even getting paid for it at this point etc.. since I want to avoid bank trips.

JaneV2.0
4-6-20, 4:26pm
I will definitely make use of grocery pick up and delivery and visit the PO less often.

Tradd
4-6-20, 4:33pm
I will definitely make use of grocery pick up and delivery and visit the PO less often.

Jane, why would you visit the PO less often?

iris lilies
4-6-20, 4:45pm

I will wrestle more of our assets from brokerage accounts and turn them in the cash. DH can stomp his little feet all he likes.

sweetana3
4-6-20, 5:14pm
I can honestly say that the only change will be less or no international travel. We have already been where we wanted to go. We live what most would consider a frugal lifestyle, keep a nice pantry and freezer, buy little except for our hobbies.

I might concentrate more on in depth projects requiring concentration and time rather than the quantity donation quilts done in the past. Dont even have to buy anything since they are staring me in the face. Might learn some new recipies. Doing that now and it is very satisfying.

Teacher Terry
4-6-20, 5:27pm
We have been shopping monthly for 8 years. Already buy most items online. Don’t shop a lot. Not sure how I will feel about international travel in 2021 but not going before then.

JaneV2.0
4-6-20, 6:13pm

I'm hoping to sign up for bill pay with my credit union. I have a PO box that should be less full if I do.

Tradd
4-6-20, 6:17pm
I'm hoping to sign up for bill pay with my credit union. I have a PO box that should be less full if I do.

I think you might be conflating two things.

You need to set up paperless billing with your utilities and the like. They will send you an email notification when your bill is available.

You then pay them electronically through your bank account.

JaneV2.0
4-6-20, 6:33pm
I think you might be conflating two things.

You need to set up paperless billing with your utilities and the like. They will send you an email notification when your bill is available.

You then pay them electronically through your bank account.

Could very well be, I'm not familiar with the process, not having used it.

ApatheticNoMore
4-6-20, 6:40pm
I looked into paperless billing long before corona virus just out of trying to make my life easier. The thing is the utilities that are always sneaking in some questionable charge here or there didn't seem to allow you to review your bill first but just autocharged you (oh yea sure just steal from my bank account without even letting me review the bill first ..). And the trustworthy utilities often didn't have the option (municipal utilities are as trustworthy as you can get in my experience, but not always as tech savy). Maybe it's improved but it just kind of soured me on the whole thing then. I wanted to make life easy but there was no easy, at least a few years ago.

Tradd
4-6-20, 6:50pm
I looked into paperless billing long before corona virus just out of trying to make my life easier. The thing is the utilities that are always sneaking in some questionable charge here or there didn't seem to allow you to review your bill first but just autocharged you (oh yea sure just steal from my bank account without even letting me review the bill first ..). And the trustworthy utilities often didn't have the option (municipal utilities are as trustworthy as you can get in my experience, but not always as tech savy). Maybe it's improved but it just kind of soured me on the whole thing then. I wanted to make life easy but there was no easy, at least a few years ago.

APM, you can do paperless billing and online payments WITHOUT having the payment auto debited from your checking account. YOU trigger the payment, right from your bank's website. I've done it that way for years and years.

So many people don't get the difference.

Just think of it as writing an electronic check.

Yppej
4-6-20, 6:57pm
I like Trump hope handshaking will go away.

If I stay employed throughout the pandemic I will be more averse to switching jobs, appreciating that my company stood by me in tough times. If I do lose my job I will try to get a job in a more recession proof industry. I have seen medical device manufacturers are hiring in my state, for example.

This reinforces my desire to vacation closer to home, rather than possibly being stranded somewhere.

I will be loath to engage in discretionary spending, because the virus could come back in the fall or we might get hit by another one.

happystuff
4-6-20, 7:38pm
I will, hopefully, have a new job so that will be enough of a change to start off with.

Tradd
4-6-20, 7:39pm
I will, hopefully, have a new job so that will be enough of a change to start off with.

How is your search going?

SteveinMN
4-6-20, 8:32pm
I think the just-in-time household goods inventory is a thing of the past. I could fairly easily keep a couple of months worth of TP, paper towels, hand & dish soap, laundry detergent, Tylenol, etc., in the house.

I'm not sure how the food inventory will change. I could find room for some non-perishables but we're not fans of canned vegetables and we don't eat pasta or rice or beans or canned convenience foods (soup, chili, etc.), so the stockup would be canned meat and a few regularly-used spices and that's about it. I have to weigh whether having a full fridge and freezer are worth the risks of 1) tossing food we just don't get to (why we went low-inventory in the first place); and 2) the loss of the fridge or freezer to mechanical failure or power outages -- both far more likely (at this point, anyway) than another pandemic. I notice I'm cooking more now that we're both home to eat meals. So I may change my mind once DW retires.

Other than food, we've been doing pretty well. Maybe just a little more vigilance on things like renewing regular meds quickly if we see smoke signals in the distance. Then we won't need to leave the house at all (assuming the electricity is on).

Oh, one more thing: appreciate the ability to move around. Just leaving the house to get lunch or coffee was a treat before, but being able to do it without donning hazard gear will be very much appreciated. This event is going to leave a mark on a lot of people.

ApatheticNoMore
4-6-20, 9:11pm
I wouldn't keep all the rice etc. in the world on store either, I eat it but not bags and bags and bags etc. is the problem. What I'd like to have on store is really novelty items I half think (but come a worse pandemic than this I really should have the rice and pasta and beans instead DUH!!! So maybe) But right now, oh for jarred artichokes, oh for tomatoes. :laff: There is other food in the world I know, and I'm eating it.

Gardnr
4-6-20, 11:44pm

I have every single bill autopay and electronic billing. I get every bill weeks before it is due just like paper. Most are auto pay approx 3 weeks after receipt so if you don't like something you see, there is sufficient time to appeal just like with paper.

rosarugosa
4-7-20, 6:39am
Those of you who like to go on cruises - do you think you will be less inclined to do so in the future?

happystuff
4-7-20, 7:00am
How is your search going?

I've been applying for ones that I see here and there, but still waiting for my background check to clear for the school job... for once schools re-open, hopefully! I haven't heard anything from the ones I've applied - but since they are office type jobs, I'm not sure I'll hear anything any time soon.

I've read here and there that your search is hopeful?? Continued good luck!

Rogar
4-7-20, 7:51am
I've been able to cut my grocery shopping runs from once or twice a week to every two weeks with some planning. I think especially with some fresh produce from the garden I could keep to that schedule and save some time running around. I've been baking all my own bread since all of this started. That's a fairly easy and rewarding chore I should be doing more of. I was lucky to be in a cycle where most of my necessities were well stocked. I will definitely have greater reserves in the future.

When you say back to normal, I'm wondering what that normal will look like and how long it will take. I could see people getting back to restaurant and coffee shop visits fairly quickly. I'm less certain about pleasure travel on airlines or ships. I would not want a pandemic to be the cause, but could picture this as how a world might resemble to drastically reduce carbon emissions. Our lifestyle has a lot of unnecessary fossil fuel based travel and maybe this will be helpful as an example of how to live without some of it. I could see or hope the working from home and teleconferencing rather than long distance travel as something that could stick. Our front range cities have visible pollution on many or most days depending on the weather. I've noticed and the local news has commented on how much cleaner the air has been.

rosarugosa
4-7-20, 8:56am
I think I will continue to be a little bit more of a germaphobe, and will probably carry a greater inventory of non-perishable foods and other household items.

SteveinMN
4-7-20, 10:38am
Those of you who like to go on cruises - do you think you will be less inclined to do so in the future?
I'm already having second thoughts about the cruise our college friends are planning to take in four years. But that's four years away, by which COVID-19 can be a bad memory or a fire that refuses to go out, or COVID-n can spring to life, or cruise lines (however few of them are left) figure out better ways to sanitize the vessel. I had no plans to hop on a cruise before then; that hasn't changed now.

LDAHL
4-7-20, 11:46am
Long term, I don’t see this thing driving permanent changes for me any more than SARS, MERS or H1N1 did in their time; except maybe do a few more things online than I once did.

Teacher Terry
4-7-20, 12:27pm
We love cruises but don’t know if I will ever go on one again.

Gardnr
4-7-20, 12:37pm

I'm so happy that we hated the 1 cruise we did. Wasted money and super expensive d/t the time of year my sister planned it! With all the disease that has passed around ships for the last 5 years, I wouldn't go on a first class cabin cruise FREE! Nope, not me.

pinkytoe
4-7-20, 12:41pm
Never been attracted to going on a cruise. Too much like a floating mall/Petri dish. I wouldn't mind going on one of the small European ones but they are pricey. The older I get, the more satisfied I am with staying near home or taking road trips; I have never liked flying. So many popular tourist places are way too crowded anyway to be enjoyable. In the future, I will continue with ordinary life and perhaps make sure I have a few more shelf stable groceries around. The lesson for me in all of this is that procrastination for doing the things that should have been done way back when - like car repairs, dental and medical visits - have provoked unnecessary anxiety since I can't have them done now.

Tybee
4-7-20, 1:48pm
The lesson for me in all of this is that procrastination for doing the things that should have been done way back when - like car repairs, dental and medical visits - have provoked unnecessary anxiety since I can't have them done now.

Me, too! No more procrastination for me, I hope.

ApatheticNoMore
4-7-20, 2:31pm
Yea should have got a haircut (not that it matters much), should have got a doctors check up (granted there is nothing wrong with me but just because), should have bought stuff I wanted instead of thinking on purchases.

Tradd
4-7-20, 2:46pm
I've never had any desire to go on a cruise. Just always seemed to be boring.

catherine
4-7-20, 2:50pm
Never went on a cruise. I'd go for the novelty, but DH has no interest whatsoever. Too many people. He has never liked being a member of a herd. So I'm not likely to go in the future.

Teacher Terry
4-7-20, 4:43pm
I am really sad about the cruises. We always got them very cheap either booking far out or booking right before they leave. We met a lot of nice people that we hung out with at night and had so much fun. We enjoyed the ports and loved the food in the dining room as well as the entertainment.

SteveinMN
4-7-20, 5:07pm
Yeah, I'm glad I've never had the experiences people here have had. Cruises aren't perfect but they are what you make of them. No worse than some of those all-inclusive resorts out there. We have never gotten sick on a cruise (anecdotal evidence runs both ways) and we've never felt coerced into doing something we didn't want to do (except maybe get up at 5 am the last day of the cruise so we could get off the ship early to meet transportation). We seem to go on one once every five years now, but, yeah, totally different experience.

Teacher Terry
4-7-20, 5:20pm
We have went on 5 cruises in the past 4 years. i wouldn't want to go to an all inclusive because it would get boring. I wouldn't take a cruise without ports either.

flowerseverywhere
4-7-20, 5:26pm
I will increase my vegetarian and vegan cooking skills. This mess was cause because of the intersection of humans and animals. We accept that factory farmed animals are OK because they are cheap. Very unsanitary.

I made black eyed eyed peas today, absolutely delicious.

I started a garden early spring. I will expand on sprouting, micro greens, greens, container gardening and other skills.

I will learn to make almond milk, non dairy yogurts and cheeses.

Ive been leaning this way but learning about wet markets and that most of our food is processed far from our local area and shipped here has pushed me to get it together.

razz
4-7-20, 7:11pm
Flowers, I have been trying to do this, off and on, for some time; the hard part is sustaining the effort longterm. I clean up the containers, meaning to refill or start another batch and then get sidetracked elsewhere. It falls by the wayside; this has happened so many times. Right now, I have microgreens seeded on my LR window sill, just finishing off a batch of mung beans sprouts and trying to decide what to do next. It seems that life gets so busy that these growing efforts are too time sensitive or need more attention than I have, at times.

pinkytoe
4-7-20, 8:33pm
I could easily do almost all vegetarian but DH will only eat certain dishes. He calls me the bean queen. I have been training him though to eat less meat :)

frugal-one
4-7-20, 8:43pm
I feel guilty but I have no desire to garden. I will pay the price I am sure.

Tradd
4-7-20, 9:04pm
I feel guilty but I have no desire to garden. I will pay the price I am sure.

I have no desire and no place. People tell me, oh check out a community garden. My response: why must everyone garden?

Tradd
4-7-20, 9:06pm
Maybe I'll shop once a week, but truth is I did one *BIG* grocery trip a week anyway, but could easily supplement it before, if I forgot something it wasn't a crisis, working walking distance to a TJs.

Maybe keep a bit more on stock, only of foods I actually eat and TP and household products. Don't wait to buy stuff so much saying "I'll think about that purchase" (now I can't buy anything some good mulling over purchases did me). Donate stuff to the thrift right away too (now I can't donate anything). Keep faster internet at home.

Nah I haven't done faceborg in a decade and why would I start now. I'd probably go back to cash rather than the credit card but shrug, it makes no real difference to me, but cash is probably a better way to track spending. I don't care about spending now is all, I'm buying my birth family food and not even getting paid for it at this point etc.. since I want to avoid bank trips.

APM, you don’t even need to go to the bank if they gave you a check. Mobile check deposit works quite well. Or they could use PayPal if they’re on that.

Teacher Terry
4-7-20, 9:07pm
I hate gardening. Some years my husband has a small one.

iris lilies
4-7-20, 9:13pm
Today DH was compelled to pick up onion sets, tomato and pepper plants in addition to the ones he has because WE WILL STARVE IF WE DONT GROW THIS FOOD!!!

I was annoyed that he went someplace that was nonessential in my mind. But I am sympathetic to his mindset because he is SUCH a little squirrel, not stockpiling foodstuffs makes him anxious.

razz
4-8-20, 8:58am
Today DH was compelled to pick up onion sets, tomato and pepper plants in addition to the ones he has because WE WILL STARVE IF WE DONT GROW THIS FOOD!!!

I was annoyed that he went someplace that was nonessential in my mind. But I am sympathetic to his mindset because he is SUCH a little squirrel, not stockpiling foodstuffs makes him anxious.

I fully understand your DH's thinking. I am struggling with how to get some seeds and sets to start in my 3'x16' bed. It has been built up with composted leaves, sheep manure and compost. It just needs to be planted!!! Maybe I can get my local nursery to package up some seeds and sets for me to pick up. Hmmmm. Good idea or sew some more fabric masks instead for family and friends which is a better idea, I know, so that is what I shall do.

flowerseverywhere
4-8-20, 9:04am
Gardening is not for everyone. Cooking is not for everyone.

for those who don’t like or wish not to, no worries, those of us who love to do so will take some of the strain off local supplies by not buying in the store. Plus I always share what I have in abundance.

for most of time people banded in groups and worked for the common good. We have all become such a me me me society, I think as a whole we have forgotten that. I am as guilty as anyone of this.

I got most of my seeds online, which I normally would not do, but since most are heirloom I can save bean, pepper and tomato seeds for next year. I used to do it, I just got lazy.

gimmethesimplelife
4-9-20, 12:57pm
I won't take the ability to cross an international border/enter a foreign country for granted going forward. This virus has really made clear to me legitimate concerns regarding the concept of open borders. I'd bet the next time I arrive at the Andrade,CA slash Los Algodones, MX border that I won't be able to just walk across due to no Mexican Customs agents being staffed to screen arrivals. Rob

gimmethesimplelife
4-9-20, 12:59pm
I hate gardening. Some years my husband has a small one.Different strokes/different folks for sure. Gardening is helping to calm and center me during all of this. But it's whatever works for you during these times. Rob

NewGig
4-10-20, 9:47pm
We belong to a CSA, well 2. I signed up for an early spring one, mostly greens this year. I managed to do this and save money by going to a 1/2 share at our regular farm and not signing up for the December share.

Still we will get fresh produce from April to November. We are eating the end of the produce I froze last year. For example, we had pizza tonight, with HM sauce and pizza dough. The sauce started life as "stewed tomatoes" (tomatoes, celery, bell pepper, and onion) that I put away in August. My job is to empty the freezer before June 1 when the regular season CSA starts.

As a person who's been a hoarder, I had a huge pantry, once upon a time.

I purged my pantry down to a month's worth years ago. I only kept the really shelf stable stuff: rice, beans, and a little wheat. The idea has always been to eat those once a week or more often, and we do. We rarely eat meat these days. The produce is picked up once a week, and except for milk and maybe fruit or coffee, there isn't much I need from the store. For years we've baked our bread from Fall to late Spring. In the dog days of summer we buy it.

We'd gotten lazy and picked up one item here or there and we're not doing that now, and likely won't when things are normal again.

The biggest change in here for me is accidental: my house is getting clean. Last summer, just before DH broke his leg, I set myself a 90 day challenge to clean every day, panic attacks or not. My idea was that it takes 90 days to change habits and if I could just make myself do it, without judgement when it didn't go well, then maybe I could get past the panic attacks which have always stopped me.

It worked.

So, I'm cleaning, something every day. The house is still a mess, but there are areas which are clean or cleaner anyway. The laundry is getting done, but still is way behind. The dishes get done every day, even if the kitchen counters are never quite clear. The floors are getting vac'd or swept regularly, even if they aren't pristine, etc.

I'm using the enforced time here as an "excuse" to get the cleaning done. It needs it. It's time. I don't need the mess anymore to feel safe. I'm not having panic attacks any more. And if I fail? Well, DH has put up with me and the mess for nearly 40 years, a day or two or a week backsliding isn't going to be the end of the earth! So that's my silver lining.

Teacher Terry
4-10-20, 10:10pm
New gig, that’s great progress!

catherine
4-10-20, 10:14pm
Very good, NewGig!!

NewGig
4-10-20, 10:37pm
Thanks! In some ways I feel guilty to have something so positive for me come out of this nonsense. I’ve had a lot of folks ask me if this leaned on my ptsd and the answer is no.

I’m already anxious, this hasn’t changed it. Having someone die on the other side of the hill we live on? Yes, that made me more anxious, you bet. Having this crazy thing be something you can’t see to guard against? Sure. But I’ve lived in a world of boogey men for so long that even if I’m more anxious, it’s not new.

If I’m stuck inside, at least I can make inside a nicer place right? And winning this battle, even if I die from corona, well, it’s my next big challenge. It’s the next major way my abuser still controls my life. I’m going to change it, if I can.

rosarugosa
4-11-20, 6:51am
NewGig: I think it's great if you can get something good out of this, no reason to feel guilty. You did not create the circumstances!

Yppej
4-11-20, 7:08am
NewGig you should be really proud of yourself.

iris lilies
4-11-20, 9:20am
Great progress New Gig.

Tybee
4-11-20, 9:27am
Very inspiring, NewGig, I am going to work harder to clean something every day. It's a great use of this very weird time.

Gardnr
4-11-20, 11:23am
It's been too easy to watch/listen to news all damn morning. So, I decided yesterday when I woke up, that I have a new routine:

1. Put on last nights' clothing (whatever it was)
2. Make my morning coffee
3. Potty and brush teeth. These have always been my routine. This is what is new:

4. Do 1 thing that needs to be done
5. Do a 2nd thing that needs to be done
6. Do a 3rd thing that needs to be done

Somewhere in there the coffee has finished brewing and I pour and start sipping my first mug.

I've been reading "Atomic Habits". The above is called "habit stacking". Take something you usually do and add things to it. I never have to think about those first 3 so the theory is that the stacks will happen naturally as well.

Our library closed some time back and made all due dates June 1. I will likely read this book 2-3 times before I turn it in. I'm going to be building more stacks in the coming weeks!

Edited to add: So this morning's 3 things?
1. Remove from the long -arm , the quilt I quilted last night.
2. Trim it up, clean up all those trimmings and put them where they belong (I have strict scrap management techniques and my studio is never messy!)
3. Put the bkg soda and vinegar in the toilet for some cleaning up!

catherine
4-11-20, 11:36am
Gardnr, I've read Atomic Habits--it's a great book.

I'm doing a year-long Brian Johnson Optimize program, which helps keep me occupied and motivated throughout this.

Interesting to read about your morning routine.. I've also started paying more attention to myself in the morning. After my dog died (2 years ago!) I've tended to lounge in my robe for TOO LONG in the morning. So, lately I've been trying to rise, and have ONE cup of coffee in my robe and then dress in my athletic wear. Wearing jogging/yoga clothes/sneakers helps me feel more active. Today I actually tried out a coronavirus hairdo--my hair is getting too long and makes me feel like a bag lady, so I'm trying out an updo.

Today I cleaned out my pantry and am about to make some lentil soup. I have some report-writing to do also. I feel good today so far.

Tybee
4-11-20, 11:39am
Gardner, I really like the doing three things approach.

I also read that book because Catherine recommended it, and he made a lot of sense.

Since I am teaching three courses now and revising a fourth, I am letting that be my structure, since that is what I always did, starting with that stuff first thing in the morning.

But I want to do more cleaning and less news input as the anxiety becomes overwhelming, and reading a lot of negativity on social media makes me upset--so I am limiting that, and trying to find positive things to think about.

Which your post is for me, thank you!

Gardnr
4-11-20, 12:53pm
Gardner, I really like the doing three things approach.

I also read that book because Catherine recommended it, and he made a lot of sense.

Since I am teaching three courses now and revising a fourth, I am letting that be my structure, since that is what I always did, starting with that stuff first thing in the morning.

But I want to do more cleaning and less news input as the anxiety becomes overwhelming, and reading a lot of negativity on social media makes me upset--so I am limiting that, and trying to find positive things to think about.

Which your post is for me, thank you!

It is important to me to stay informed, but it then was getting easy to sit all damn day.:|(

I'm glad it provides you some direction and positivity. We all need that right now.

Greg44
4-13-20, 4:50pm
Take better inventory of our household items and food - like have spaghetti sauce, but maybe not enough noodles, etc.

Have masks on hand. I was thinking there are many emergencies that masks may be important. Forest fire smoke, Viruses, Volcano ash (we live in Pacific Northwest), clean up from earthquake, etc. I think we are going to be without masks for a long time. It will take a lot of time for hospitals, governments, etc to rebuild their stock piles once this come to an end so we will be wearing our sewn ones for a long time. But once we can buy them we are stocking up (aka hoarding)!

I think is important to step back and look at potential emergencies for our area (did not have virus on my list) and prepare accordingly!

It will be interesting where the whole social distancing thing takes us - especially with handshaking - it is such an important part of our culture. I am good with no more handshaking, but it will be socially awkward if everyone is not on the same page.

I wonder how places like Disneyland - who are the masters of creative lines are going to handle this? I think that some of the changes we are now experiencing will stay around, I just wonder which ones they will be?

Here in Oregon we can now - wait for it - pump our own gas! A tradition we have long held dear to our hearts (and no sales tax). I think self serve gas has finally come to Oregon...

Tradd
4-13-20, 4:54pm
Gregg, wow on the self serve gas! I think a state in the NE might have the same law about no self serve. NJ maybe?

catherine
4-14-20, 7:15am
Gregg, wow on the self serve gas! I think a state in the NE might have the same law about no self serve. NJ maybe?

Yes, Tradd, you are right--New Jersey does not permit self-serve gas, which is great in the winter! I'm finally used to pumping my own gas after living in VT for a couple of years now.

Gardnr
4-14-20, 12:19pm
Here in Oregon we can now - wait for it - pump our own gas! A tradition we have long held dear to our hearts (and no sales tax). I think self serve gas has finally come to Oregon...

Now is the time I wish we had FULL SERVE. Gas pumps are high risk in locations where people are exhibiting risky behavior. It's not a good time in this country to live in a red neck state!

Alan
4-14-20, 12:33pm
Now is the time I wish we had FULL SERVE. Gas pumps are high risk in locations where people are exhibiting risky behavior. It's not a good time in this country to live in a red neck state!
So is that the new definition of "red neck state", one that allows self service gasoline?

Gardnr
4-14-20, 2:32pm
So is that the new definition of "red neck state", one that allows self service gasoline?

No. It's the rednecks that think COVID is a stupid hoax, that masks are ridiculous, and handwashing over rated and useless after using the bathroom, and pick their nose at red lights. Then they handle the gas pumps?

Maybe it's the OR RN in me. Handwashing has always been normal for me and I have always kept a small bottle of hand sanitizer in my car to use after handling something as public as a gas pump. When do they EVER get cleaned let alone cleaned well?

Teacher Terry
4-14-20, 2:51pm
I am using disposable gloves at the pump.

Gardnr
4-14-20, 3:40pm
I am using disposable gloves at the pump.

I used a glove last week. Not taking chances!

jp1
4-14-20, 10:23pm
We keep a bottle of sanitizer in the door pocket and I use that before i get in the car and touch anything. Same as I do now as soon as I come out of a store.

invisibleflash
4-16-20, 6:26pm
OP...

No hand shaking.

Little pleasures like having the topless girls at the mardi gras rub their boozies on you when you get a hug are probably gone.

I will stock more masks and disinfectant wipes. Both of whcih I neglected.

More whole wheat flour. Whole wheat flour has been out in my local for 4 weeks. (Funny how wheat berries here are double the price of the WW flour.)

But all this presouppsoes that the virus will be gone. Good chance there is no respite from CV, the virus may be year round and no vaccine. Time will tell.

BikingLady
5-15-20, 7:56pm
Everything changed for me during this event. My way of living, my feelings of "all" media and government and things that I assumed were always there for me such as medical care, running to store to grab that one item, toilet paper, freedom and choices, believing that my friends and loved ones held the same thoughts....This event has Changed me more than the last 59 years of my life and forming who I was.
So with these changes that happened to me, Most everything afterwards will be the New Normal for me, I will not return to my old way of thinking or doing very much of anything. I think that is good.

iris lilies
5-15-20, 8:31pm
I am using disposable gloves at the pump.me too!

Tradd
5-15-20, 8:46pm
I use up plastic grocery bags using them at the pump. Save the gloves for something else.

Gardnr
5-15-20, 9:01pm
I use up plastic grocery bags using them at the pump. Save the gloves for something else.

I don't take plastic from stores so there isn't any here. 1 glove at the pump.

Tradd
5-15-20, 9:09pm
Here the stores have forbidden all use of reusable bags.

Gardnr
5-15-20, 9:45pm
Here the stores have forbidden all use of reusable bags.

I shop at a "bag your own" store. I keep the bag in my cart and fill it there so my bags don't touch the belt or counter at all. Trader Joe allows your own bag if you bag your own in the cart-same way. I have been to each store twice since our shelter-in-place order.

At Costco, I place each item in my cart with scan code up. Checker can scan everything touchless-they thank me.

I know it sounds like a lot of shopping-I shop for 3 seniors in 2 homes plus our needs.

happystuff
5-16-20, 8:58am
My grocery pickup uses plastic bags and they only put 2-3 items in each bag! Drives me crazy! I have more plastic bags in the house than ever. I think I'll stow some back in the cars and use as gloves, etc. as needed. Excellent suggestion. Thanks.

iris lilies
5-16-20, 9:01am
Well, I did that too, last time.

Gardnr
5-16-20, 10:27am
We keep a bottle of sanitizer in the door pocket and I use that before i get in the car and touch anything. Same as I do now as soon as I come out of a store.

I've done that for a long time so not a new practice for me.

frugal-one
5-16-20, 2:06pm
I shop at a "bag your own" store. I keep the bag in my cart and fill it there so my bags don't touch the belt or counter at all. Trader Joe allows your own bag if you bag your own in the cart-same way. I have been to each store twice since our shelter-in-place order.

At Costco, I place each item in my cart with scan code up. Checker can scan everything touchless-they thank me.

I know it sounds like a lot of shopping-I shop for 3 seniors in 2 homes plus our needs.

I tried doing that at Costco last week and they told me that can no longer be done and everything needs to be put on the counter.

sweetana3
5-16-20, 3:57pm
At our Costco, they told me to leave the stuff in the basket and they quickly scanned it without touching anything. Faster than ever and fewer touches. They dont even touch things at the exit where the checker is behind a plexiglass screen.

Gardnr
5-16-20, 4:03pm
At our Costco, they told me to leave the stuff in the basket and they quickly scanned it without touching anything. Faster than ever and fewer touches. They dont even touch things at the exit where the checker is behind a plexiglass screen.

I love this. They are safer and it's 1 less handling for us! :cool:

NewGig
5-18-20, 7:02am
We are shopping once a week and had gotten lazy about that before. Also, avoiding supermarkets, so buying more at the farm’s store or online. Mostly when we’re not working, we’re working on the house — DH has been building a new bike rack, added to my pot rack he’d built previously, and made me a new spice cabinet.

We bought bookcases with the stimulus money, as DH is still working, and that will hopefully eliminate the need for the storage and many of the boxes here. We’ve set up the wood shelter and started moving “the sleeping giant” as my sil named it, the cord wood in the front yard, into the wood shelter.

We have plans in place if DH’s job goes away or if we need to shelter other family. All happening slowly, but it is happening. Our long-term plan is to use this whole thing to our benefit, as much as possible. So we’re culling, cleaning, organizing and rearranging towards our leaner, cheaper retirement life. Bigger veggie garden, less prefab food, less stuff, and new habits.

For some time, I’d considered that I’d done one life quest and was on the second. I had a reason to write out things a few days ago and realized I’m on my 3rd, not the 2nd. That has made a big difference. Funny how simple attitude shifts can change so much! First one took 55 years, second took 10. My being upset about the house clean and cull taking too long, even if it’s a year or two more, seems silly by comparison.

happystuff
5-18-20, 7:38am
We are shopping once a week and had gotten lazy about that before. Also, avoiding supermarkets, so buying more at the farm’s store or online. Mostly when we’re not working, we’re working on the house — DH has been building a new bike rack, added to my pot rack he’d built previously, and made me a new spice cabinet.

We bought bookcases with the stimulus money, as DH is still working, and that will hopefully eliminate the need for the storage and many of the boxes here. We’ve set up the wood shelter and started moving “the sleeping giant” as my sil named it, the cord wood in the front yard, into the wood shelter.

We have plans in place if DH’s job goes away or if we need to shelter other family. All happening slowly, but it is happening. Our long-term plan is to use this whole thing to our benefit, as much as possible. So we’re culling, cleaning, organizing and rearranging towards our leaner, cheaper retirement life. Bigger veggie garden, less prefab food, less stuff, and new habits.

For some time, I’d considered that I’d done one life quest and was on the second. I had a reason to write out things a few days ago and realized I’m on my 3rd, not the 2nd. That has made a big difference. Funny how simple attitude shifts can change so much! First one took 55 years, second took 10. My being upset about the house clean and cull taking too long, even if it’s a year or two more, seems silly by comparison.

Thank you for sharing! I found your post very motivating and refreshing. I'm glad things are going well for you.

I think I need to turn some focus on a long term "plan" and use it for motivation in daily activities.

Teacher Terry
5-18-20, 12:29pm
It does take a long time to get rid of a lifetime of stuff. When 5 of us moved across the country in 1993 half of our stuff went. In 1997 when I divorced I took about a third. Then remarriage and a big house with my 14 year old stepson and 2 of my adult kids to go to college added more stuff. Started downsizing in 2006 and mostly done except for my husband’s junk.

Yppej
5-18-20, 5:00pm
It would be nice to have a second bathroom in case one of gets sick we can isolate from each other but that is unlikely to happen.

rosarugosa
5-19-20, 6:22am
I think this has definitely re-set my dining out expectations for the future. We've only gotten take-out once since the stay at home advisory on 3/24 and we've been eating very well. I also think it's likely that DH will choose not to go back to work on a regular schedule, but will go in as a per diem once the risk has subsided.

Yppej
5-19-20, 6:29am
I have wondered how much it is to install a plexiglass barrier in between the front and back seats of my car like taxis have. My parents still drive but at some point in the future I expect to be taking them to medical appointments etc.

happystuff
5-19-20, 7:58am
It does take a long time to get rid of a lifetime of stuff.

This is what I keep telling myself every time I look around the house and think "we have sooooo much junk!". LOL. But I do see progress... slow and steady.

LDAHL
5-19-20, 10:41am
Just finished helping my brother-in-law clean out his attic, garage, barn and machine shed of old stuff. About forty years’ worth. We filled two twenty-yard dumpsters and built an enormous bonfire of old lumber, fence posts and broken furniture that someone over the years thought might be useful at some point. We also put a “free” sign at the side of the highway for items he thought people might want. Being a city boy, I was shocked (he wasn’t) at what people took. Ancient appliances. Corroded car batteries. Old bricks and bicycles. Rusty pieces of agricultural implements I couldn’t identify.

I asked him why now, and he said he didn’t want his kids cursing him after he was dead.

Tybee
5-19-20, 11:58am
Wow, I am so impressed! We are clearing out our shed on a smaller scale, seven years of stuff since we moved here. Two twenty-yard dumpsters is wonderful. So is doing this now so the kids aren't bothered with it.

happystuff
5-19-20, 11:59am
I asked him why now, and he said he didn’t want his kids cursing him after he was dead.

This is one of my primary reasons for decluttering, along with the fact that I just don't WANT most of this *stuff* anymore.

Sounds like you both did a great job - congrats!

SteveinMN
5-19-20, 12:14pm
Being a city boy, I was shocked (he wasn’t) at what people took. Ancient appliances. Corroded car batteries. Old bricks and bicycles. Rusty pieces of agricultural implements I couldn’t identify.
'Cuz that's the stuff that's worth money. Scrap steel and copper, batteries can be exchanged for a small core charge, ... You don't get much money for it but if you get it for free, then it's a little of your time and then you profit.

catherine
5-19-20, 12:27pm
'Cuz that's the stuff that's worth money. Scrap steel and copper, batteries can be exchanged for a small core charge, ... You don't get much money for it but if you get it for free, then it's a little of your time and then you profit.

When we were doing our two-ton purge, a flea market guy came around every week to see how we were doing and what he could pick from us. He also took strange things... but I guess these guys know what has value.

I watch American Picker--they might have loved LDAHL's BIL's place--and a lot of times it's the next gen getting rid of parents' stuff, and they never look too upset about it, but it would be a major struggle for me. I just don't have that kind of intelligence to be able to organize and sort quickly. So I'm one of the ones who did The Purge for the kids.

Tybee
5-19-20, 12:51pm
When we were doing our two-ton purge, a flea market guy came around every week to see how we were doing and what he could pick from us. He also took strange things... but I guess these guys know what has value.

I watch American Picker--they might have loved LDAHL's BIL's place--and a lot of times it's the next gen getting rid of parents' stuff, and they never look too upset about it, but it would be a major struggle for me. I just don't have that kind of intelligence to be able to organize and sort quickly. So I'm one of the ones who did The Purge for the kids.

I could deal if we lived close by my parents' place. But we live a thousand miles away, and every trip down there is really difficult since we both work, and my siblings are not helpful.

jp1
5-19-20, 2:56pm
I can absolutely see why someone would take the car batteries. Having just bought a new one in March I now know that in California the old battery is worth $15 when turned in for recycling/disposal regardless of where it came from. (mine was originally purchased by my father in Colorado)

happystuff
5-19-20, 2:56pm
Posted this elsewhere, but realize it fits here as well. I will endeavor now to always have a mask handy - in a pocket, in my backpack, two hair ties and a hanky, bandana, whatever - I will try to always have a mask of some kind on my person.

iris lilies
5-19-20, 3:39pm
Yes. Old washers and dryers placed in our in the morning disappear by noon. All that metal.I think the scrappers around here, they drive around in a pick up truck and troll the alleys, do a wonderful service for our community.

catherine
5-19-20, 4:40pm
I could deal if we lived close by my parents' place. But we live a thousand miles away, and every trip down there is really difficult since we both work, and my siblings are not helpful.

I know... usually on American Picker, the kids grew up nearby or were part of the "business"--it's a fun show to watch but even looking inside some of those barns filled to the rafters with "junk" makes me anxious.

LDAHL
5-19-20, 5:17pm

This resembled Hoarders more than American Pickers to me. I was thinking more about tetanus than treasure, if I’m honest.

jp1
5-19-20, 6:28pm
This resembled Hoarders more than American Pickers to me. I was thinking more about tetanus than treasure, if I’m honest.

Tetanus or treasure. Sounds like it has potential as a spin-off! And similar to my favorite jalopnik column ‘Right Price or Crack Pipe’ where the author picks a used car listing and then discusses the merits of the car, followed by spirited discussion in the comments.

Perhaps you have potential for a new career in tv show development!

Tybee
5-25-20, 7:47am
Spend less money, as income has gone down due to disruptions in field of education.

beckyliz
5-26-20, 4:42pm
I won't hoard, but I will be stocked up on essential food and other items. Less going to stores. Really work on financial independence.

Gardnr
5-26-20, 8:33pm
Really work on financial independence.

I can't say enough positives about this goal. Peace of mind is priceless.

Yppej
5-26-20, 8:44pm
Not vote for Charlie Baker if he runs for re-election or any other office. People are really suffering. I have a coworker who has exhausted his sick and vacation time and now is going on 12 weeks unpaid FMLA to watch his kids. He is not eligible for unemployment.

bae
5-26-20, 8:45pm
0) I will enjoy life now, while I can, and not wait for "later"
1) I will have more food production in my own hands
2) I will maintain a larger liquid cash/assets reserve
3) I won't eat out in our village, or patronize other stores there, much during our high tourist season
4) I will get my supplies/tools more organized
5) I will cull my social circle of those who didn't care

frugal-one
5-26-20, 8:48pm
0) I will enjoy life now, while I can, and not wait for "later"
1) I will have more food production in my own hands
2) I will maintain a larger liquid cash/assets reserve
3) I won't eat out in our village, or patronize other stores there, much during our high tourist season
4) I will get my supplies/tools more organized
5) I will cull my social circle of those who didn't care

Other than #2, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I hate to garden. I do have friends that will share however. I have bartered with them in the past and will continue to do so.

Yppej
5-26-20, 8:50pm
Other than #2, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I hate to garden. I do have friends that will share however. I have bartered with them in the past and will continue to do so.

#2 is liquid assets, #1 is food production on his list. Should I ask you if you are having senior moments like you asked me?

bae
5-26-20, 8:56pm
#2 is liquid assets, #1 is food production on his list. Should I ask you if you are having senior moments like you asked me?

How precious of you.

Teacher Terry
5-26-20, 8:57pm
I will do 0 and 2.

frugal-one
5-27-20, 3:39am

I admit to having them occasionally. Unlike you, I know I am not perfect.

Yppej
5-27-20, 5:34am
Unlike you, I know I am not perfect.

Wow. Your J on the Briggs-Meyers must be top of the charts, and your P non-existent.

frugal-one
5-27-20, 11:19am
Wow. Your J on the Briggs-Meyers must be top of the charts, and your P non-existent.

See ... your superior attitude again. Have not paid attention to that orthogonal info.

Teacher Terry
5-27-20, 12:20pm
Y, you don’t understand what the J and P stand for in the MB. Look it up.

Tybee
5-27-20, 1:03pm
I was discouraged when I wrote spend less, although it is probably a good idea. I would say that afterwards, I will try harder to get things done when I think of them, and not put them off. It's a good reminder of how short our lives are.

I will try to spend less time in negativity and conflict. I will avoid places where those occur. I will not waste time being negative towards others.

Since I have only 0-25 years left, why spend a moment being negative or mean to others? What a silly way to spend my remaining time.

Teacher Terry
5-27-20, 3:38pm
We definitely spent less for the 2 months we were home. Takeout is cheaper then going out because no drinks. However, it’s not the same experience. Once a year I review my bills and shop around for better deals.

Tybee
5-27-20, 4:47pm
We definitely spent less for the 2 months we were home. Takeout is cheaper then going out because no drinks. However, it’s not the same experience. Once a year I review my bills and shop around for better deals.

We've spent less on eating out, but I can see that going away quickly when the restaurants reopen, as I still have a belated birthday dinner and my favorite restaurant reopened at half capacity this week. They also have an outside deck, which would be even nicer this time of year.

ApatheticNoMore
5-27-20, 4:53pm
Maybe I've spend a bit less on eating out but far more money spent on on food overall, so food budget is way up. I see that continuing really, it is what it is.

Yppej
5-27-20, 4:53pm
Y, you don’t understand what the J and P stand for in the MB. Look it up.

Judging and perceiving, and despite what frugal-one wrote the designers of the test did not designate one as better than the other.

frugal-one
5-27-20, 6:05pm
Judging and perceiving, and despite what frugal-one wrote the designers of the test did not designate one as better than the other.

You do not know how to look up words or get other meanings? As Bae would say, "Precious".

Yppej
5-27-20, 6:09pm
I don't know why some of you are so obsessed with Gollum.

Teacher Terry
5-27-20, 7:02pm
It doesn’t refer to judging people, etc. It’s a tool useful in marriage therapy, work place issues and career counseling.

Gardnr
5-27-20, 7:15pm
It doesn’t refer to judging people, etc. It’s a tool useful in marriage therapy, work place issues and career counseling.

Best of luck educating Y.

Teacher Terry
5-27-20, 7:43pm
G, I shouldn’t bother as I only have a master’s in testing and 30 years experience.

Tybee
5-27-20, 7:52pm
I don't understand why the ignore feature is not being utilized in these threads. Try it; you might like it!

Alan
5-27-20, 8:46pm
I don't understand why the ignore feature is not being utilized in these threads. Try it; you might like it!I think it's because you can't educate the uneducable or stand out in your clique if you put your targets on ignore.

ApatheticNoMore
5-27-20, 8:57pm
Or one can just leave the forum, I only stay because of the not stupid people, but since we get stupid posts all day long constantly, just flooding us, the signal to noise here at this point is becoming almost not worth it.

Gardnr
5-27-20, 10:15pm
G, I shouldn’t bother as I only have a master’s in testing and 30 years experience.

Right? And my expertise as a RN and in Infection Prevention is as worthless as yours. 39 years-down the drain I guess.

Gardnr
5-27-20, 10:16pm
Or one can just leave the forum, I only stay because of the not stupid people, but since we get stupid posts all day long constantly, just flooding us, the signal to noise here at this point is becoming almost not worth it.

I am on the verge ANM. On the verge.

iris lilies
5-27-20, 10:55pm
As for educating the populace, yeah I used to have more faith in that than I do now. But realistically people have to be ready to receive the message and that requires, well, a lot of things and not just an open mind.

And frankly I’ve never found the hectoring/lecturing/repetition method of educating on public forums to be very effective.

Teacher Terry
5-28-20, 12:35am
I really appreciate all the medical expertise on this forum.

sweetana3
5-28-20, 5:19am
I tried the ignore function and it worked well. Now, unless someone quotes a problematic post, my feed does not irritate me much.

Yppej
5-28-20, 5:31am
I had one person on ignore from before who always came here enumerating her problems and asking for advice but then rejected it. One person described it as peeing all over our cereal.

I have now added three people who are not following forum guidelines by throwing out personal insults and two other people who are trying to get into their clique by buttering up the rude folks although they themselves are better mannered. I'll see if new ones jump on the bashing wagon to take their places. As I've stated before thank you to everyone who can disagree with me on pandemic response policy without being disagreeable.

SteveinMN
5-28-20, 9:08am
I tried the ignore function and it worked well.
Ditto. I've used Ignore in other forums as needed; I use it here as needed.

frugal-one
5-28-20, 3:04pm
Ditto. I've used Ignore in other forums as needed; I use it here as needed.

Please explain how to do the ignore function... thanks.

iris lilies
5-28-20, 3:17pm
Please explain how to do the ignore function... thanks.

it works like this:

Can I block posts, emails and messages from specific users?If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'. There are several ways to do this:
Through your User Control Panel: User CP (http://www.simplelivingforum.net/usercp.php), Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List (http://www.simplelivingforum.net/profile.php?do=ignorelist). Then, type their name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'.

iris lilies
5-28-20, 3:54pm
Frugal-one, maybe the easiest way, for me anyway, has been to locate the Settings option which is at the top of my screen on the same line as my name when am logged in.

When I hit that link, the screen opens up where on the left-hand side about 3/4
down on the page there’s an option to “edit ignore list.”

bae
5-28-20, 4:04pm

LittleBittyBobby - that's a name I've not heard in a long time.

iris lilies
5-28-20, 5:11pm
LittleBittyBobby - that's a name I've not heard in a long time.

If you speak of the black force, you may summon it into your life, so beware. Just sayin’

Speaking generally of course.:~)

frugal-one
5-28-20, 5:51pm
Frugal-one, maybe the easiest way, for me anyway, has been to locate the Settings option which is at the top of my screen on the same line as my name when am logged in.

Thank you.

Txbeauty
6-6-20, 2:16pm
I am living my life fully. I am not going to afraid anymore and start on my plans that I had for some 10 years down the road. I won't do them with reckless abandon but I sure have pushed quite a few of them to the forefront. I also stopped doing things I don't want to do anymore. This has been key for me.

Teacher Terry
6-6-20, 2:21pm
That’s great Tx. It’s good to be living your values.

Txbeauty
6-6-20, 4:25pm
That’s great Tx. It’s good to be living your values.

Thank you! I found when I live by what feels right and good, then things go a lot better in my life. And it's also about being honest with who I am.

Example: I am just not a natural socializer. I like people but I do not enjoy big, loud crowds. So I stopped doing things that involved those situations. I am much calmer and enjoy going out more now. I also enjoy the intimacy of small group gatherings, where I can hear the conversation and be deeply engaged. I am also ok with just being by myself. I used to get made fun of for being a hermit but now I embrace it.

Yppej
6-6-20, 4:59pm
Buy better quality so things last, because the stores could be closed for a second wave and it would then be hard to replace fast fashion.