PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on purchasing big vehicle

Square Peg
6-6-11, 2:49pm
My husband, three kids, and I are going on a cross country trip this summer. Currently we have a Mercury Villager minivan with a host of problems. We have put an awful lot of money into it and are thinking it is time to trade it in.

We are planning to camp across the country. Our boys are in the preteen-early teen age. They are big boys: the two older ones are large adult size (around 6 feet, around 200 lbs). We will also have all of our camping stuff and food prep equipment. We want to spend $4000 or less. Besides big trips, we don't drive much. We average about 7000 miles per year. We are thinking of buying a Suburban, a conversion van, or a small motor home. We need something reliable that can get up and down icy hills in the winter. We also need three rows of seats and plenty of storage space. If we could find a minivan that fits that criteria, we would be happy. Any ideas?

Bronxboy
6-6-11, 11:48pm
A Suburban or Tahoe would seem to give you the best shot at an inexpensive family hauler. Sounds like you drive few enough miles that you can be philosophical about the $110 fill-ups.

Used cars are in short supply right now, you may have trouble buying a rust free Suburban/Tahoe that doesn't burn oil for $4000. With the camping gear, the Grand Caravan may be marginal in size.

Have you thought of renting for this trip? A quick look at Enterprise rent a car says that a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Crew Cab Pickup would cost about $1000 for 2 weeks. I couldn't get a price on a Tahoe or Expedition. If you don't have comprehensive or collision insurance on any car, damage waiver would add about $250 to that total.

Went on a great trip recently with 5 adults and hiking gear in an F-150 crew cab. A rental truck may not have a cargo cover, though.