PDA

View Full Version : May frugals, in these weird times....

early morning
5-15-20, 12:02pm
Just finished a Zoom meeting with our insurance agent. The company has changed the way it writes policies (more ala carte choices). By spending several hours going over line items and looking at policy differences, we are going to save over 1400. a year on farm and auto, AND have more coverage, without changing companies! Time well spent, IMHO! :cool:

rosarugosa
5-15-20, 12:06pm
Wow Early, that is a nice savings!

Teacher Terry
5-15-20, 12:38pm
That’s amazing!

rosarugosa
5-16-20, 6:25am
Last summer, I had planted two male ferns in containers flanking the entry to our gazebo. I put them in the ground at the end of the season since they are perennial. The other day, I dug them up and re-planted them in the containers, so that saved me the cost of new plants for those two containers, and I really like the simple, classy look of the ferns.

Tybee
5-16-20, 6:30am
Last summer, I had planted two male ferns in containers flanking the entry to our gazebo. I put them in the ground at the end of the season since they are perennial. The other day, I dug them up and re-planted them in the containers, so that saved me the cost of new plants for those two containers, and I really like the simple, classy look of the ferns.

I do something similar with my window box, Rosa, I take the geraniums out and keep them in the window all year and then put them back out for the summer.

happystuff
5-16-20, 8:45am
We got the new shed up so I was online looking for "accessories" to help keep things organized - in particular a rack for storing long-handled tools. Then I realized I could put a 5 gallon bucket in one corner and stand them up in that! If need be, I'll weigh it down with a brick. Then I started looking at wire "tray" things to hand down from the center ceiling for higher extra storage - realized I could simply use some bungees to hang other things down from the center beam as needed. I think I saved myself about $100 on just not buying those two items.

Yppej
5-16-20, 9:32am
Requested a refund of the leftover money in my home heating oil account and put it in savings. I am going to try a different company this upcoming season.

pinkytoe
5-16-20, 9:53am
Dropped the collision on my auto insurance and even got a refund. Stopped buying things I thought I would have trouble finding in the future. Dropping amazon prime today.

Yppej
5-22-20, 8:44pm
I turned off the heat for the summer, not because I am afraid my HVAC system will spread covid a la Legionnaires' disease, but to save money. If the tomato plants can now survive outside I can make it inside on cool nights.

Tybee
5-23-20, 9:33am
Have been saving up soap slivers and I also have half a bar I found so when we make laundry soap next time, I will use all that instead of the new bar the recipe calls for. Savings of only 1 dollar, but a moral victory.

early morning
5-23-20, 1:40pm
Have been using the clothesline for almost all laundry for about 6 weeks now, and hanging inside when it's been too rainy. DD uses the dryer for some things, but hangs much in the house - her preference. Our furnace has only run on one day since mid-April. Finally got our stimulus check today, so that will go into the house fixing fund. And I've spent $16 in gas this month, and less than $10 last month - which is a far cry from the $175. average per month when I was working!

Yppej
5-23-20, 2:14pm
I went to an adjoining state where malls have opened for some much needed clothing basics with a goal to not exceed $250.00 but only spent $66.50 and remain on track for my monthly budget.

happystuff
5-24-20, 9:12am
Have been saving up soap slivers and I also have half a bar I found so when we make laundry soap next time, I will use all that instead of the new bar the recipe calls for. Savings of only 1 dollar, but a moral victory.

I love the little moral victories! Little things definitely add up. Congrats!