PDA

View Full Version : Purging blue jeans

pinkytoe
5-16-20, 8:40pm
I realized today while trying to find my favorite pair of blue jeans that I have 12 pair. Since retiring, I pretty much wear jeans every day. Half are "work" jeans that I use for working in the garden or other projects, ie they don't leave the house. The others are an assortment some of which I don't think fit quite right. DH looked through his and has a similar amount that no longer fit as he has gained weight recently. Anyway, I am going to cull this down to 2-3 work jeans and 2-3 for regular wear. Anyone else have an issue with too many jeans?

Yppej
5-16-20, 9:05pm
I have the opposite problem. The dress code at work went casual due to corona and I can't find anyplace to try on jeans. The one pair I have that fits well is out of stock online.

Gardnr
5-16-20, 9:07pm
I realized today while trying to find my favorite pair of blue jeans that I have 12 pair. Since retiring, I pretty much wear jeans every day. Half are "work" jeans that I use for working in the garden or other projects, ie they don't leave the house. The others are an assortment some of which I don't think fit quite right. DH looked through his and has a similar amount that no longer fit as he has gained weight recently. Anyway, I am going to cull this down to 2-3 work jeans and 2-3 for regular wear. Anyone else have an issue with too many jeans?

For you, if they fit, why not keep them? You've already spent the $ and won't have replacement costs for several years (I go through 2 pair per year).

happystuff
5-21-20, 7:34am
I SWEAR I'm soon going to be able to fit into the jeans I'm holding on to!!! :|(

catherine
5-21-20, 8:59am
No problem with too many jeans here!

I didn't wear jeans for probably over 10 years. Then, last year I was in Banana Republic and had the urge to buy a pair on sale. I just don't feel comfortable in them--both from the fit perspective, but also, they're just not "me." Even so, a dozen pair sounds like a lot. My daily "uniform" is 3 pair of black not-too-tight leggings/yoga pants. If not those, I do have two pair of coveralls for the garden. Once the pants are worn out, I save one pair for painting projects or heavy cleaning work and I throw the extras out.

I'm not a minimalist with everything, but I am somewhat of a clothes minimalist. Never had a problem purging clothes. All my clothes fit on two feet of hanger space and two drawers.

pinkytoe
5-21-20, 9:21am
Most of these jeans came from thrift stores so back they will go. I realized with this stay at home time that my previous thrift store shopping had become a new activity and an excuse to buy more clothes just because they were inexpensive.

catherine
5-21-20, 11:23am
Most of these jeans came from thrift stores so back they will go. I realized with this stay at home time that my previous thrift store shopping had become a new activity and an excuse to buy more clothes just because they were inexpensive.

I can definitely understand that. My DD and her fiancé are "professional" thrift store goers, because they are always looking for fabrics to repurpose and sell. My DD has SO many clothes as a result. It's hard to resist good deals!

Teacher Terry
5-21-20, 11:33am
I am down to one pair of jeans. I got hooked on the pants that Catherine recommended from Macy’s and bought 4 pairs a year ago.

happystuff
5-21-20, 2:57pm
I am down to one pair of jeans. I got hooked on the pants that Catherine recommended from Macy’s and bought 4 pairs a year ago.

If I may... what pants are these? I can't seem to find pants I like.

KayLR
5-22-20, 12:00pm
I have one pair for work/whatever, and one thin grubby pair for yardwork. I have about 4 pairs of cords, though, in differing colors.

pony mom
5-22-20, 9:23pm
I had several pairs that were a bit too big and stretched a bit too much. Now I'm down to two pairs (LL Bean True Shape). One is a slim-leg in medium blue, the other a kick-boot cut in a darker blue. The kick-boot cut has just a slight flair but not as much as boot-cut. It fits over shoes perfectly. Both pairs have very little stretch and fit me perfectly in "Classic Waist", which sits higher than low-cut but not mom jeans style.

My younger coworkers spend a lot on jeans that are ripped. I feel my age when I just shake my head and think "When I was young, these would have been patched or thrown away". Years from now they'll see how silly they dressed.

Txbeauty
6-7-20, 6:12pm
I live in jeans, outside of work. Work is very professional in attire. I just counted..I have 16 pairs of jeans...all styles, washes, ripped (natural or otherwise LOL) to non ripped and throw in a pair of overalls for good measure. Jean shorts too, but they have to be on the thinner material side (2 pair). When it's over 90 here in Texas, I appreciate their lightness. I just like a certain feel, style and how I can dress them up or down. I would say my home outfit it jeans or jean shorts, flip flops and a loose t shirt or tank. I have a cruddy pair for cleaning, housework, projects, etc.

I would never wear jeans to work unless it's that 1x a year and it's a "professional" development day. I learned to wear an older pair because we got dunked in water last year! I have seen some work jeans on some ladies on Fridays, but they are too stiff for me. I stick to my Katharine Hepburn style, wider leg dress pants at work.

Teacher Terry
6-7-20, 6:15pm
Happy the pants are Karen Scott sport.

happystuff
6-7-20, 9:09pm
Happy the pants are Karen Scott sport.

Thanks, Terry! I will check these out.

Teacher Terry
6-7-20, 11:46pm
They are so comfortable and look great. I finally remembered to look.

Tybee
6-8-20, 8:11am
Is there a link? I am finding many Karen Scott pants, capri, draw string, etc, etc.

Teacher Terry
6-8-20, 10:42am
They have a elastic waist and pockets. I bought them online over a year ago. They are a soft material. Catherine might know.

JaneV2.0
6-8-20, 11:11am
My younger coworkers spend a lot on jeans that are ripped. I feel my age when I just shake my head and think "When I was young, these would have been patched or thrown away". Years from now they'll see how silly they dressed.

Those baffle me, too--they're structurally weakened and not artfully done, most of the time. If I felt the need to wear "distressed" jeans, I'd either mend the legitimate ones I have with patches and/or boro stitching, or thrift a likely pair and make an art piece out of them.

Tradd
6-8-20, 9:19pm
I have 2 pairs! One getting thin in the butt and another pair thats nearly brand new.

NewGig
6-9-20, 10:20pm
I have 3 pairs. Black, with spots, and blue. The black and spotted ones actually fit, they cost $1 each at a thrift shop and when I got them home I trashed the older ratty ones. Spotty jeans isn’t my usual thing, but I’m short and pear shaped, so finding jeans that fit is unusual and I grabbed them.