PDA

View Full Version : ? Eyeglass cleaning solution?

iris lilies
6-10-20, 7:43am
We use eyeglass cleaning solution that comes free from our optometrists. But when I look at the bottle, it says it contains isopropyl alcohol which is standard rubbing alcohol. It’s in a handy little spray bottle.

For refills in the future should I just put rubbing alcohol into this little spray bottle? I use it to clean my phone and iPad screens as well.

happystuff
6-10-20, 9:01am
Does it also include water in the ingredients list, as that would make me think the alcohol would need to be diluted.

Tybee
6-10-20, 9:04am
IL, the wipes I bought at Sam's Club for my glasses are just alcohol wipes.

JaneV2.0
6-10-20, 9:29am
I mistakenly bought some (tiny) alcohol prep wipes that I put to use cleaning tablet and phone screens, etc. They would be perfect for glasses.

iris lilies
6-10-20, 9:54am
Does it also include water in the ingredients list, as that would make me think the alcohol would need to be diluted.
Ingredients list does not state water, but this is not a commercially packaged item so I don’t suppose they have to be 100% accurate.

The standard rubbing alcohol from stores is 70% isopropyl alcohol so it’s already diluted.

iris lilies
6-10-20, 9:56am
Re wipes: that is what I am thinking, that all of this eyeglass cleaning stuff is mostly I. Alchohol.

rosarugosa
6-10-20, 12:54pm
I just wash them with soap and water when I'm washing up myself in the morning. Other times, I use one of those dry microfiber cloths.

happystuff
6-10-20, 1:01pm
Interesting. I just found two bottles in the back of my desk drawer. One doesn't list the ingredients at all. The other is: Deionized Water, Soy Dimethyl Ethyl Ammonium, Ethosulfate, Fragrance.

Edited to add: I think I'll start doing like rosa as well.

KayLR
6-10-20, 2:29pm
I do like rosa...works for me.

SteveinMN
6-10-20, 4:41pm
I do like rosa...works for me.
And me. For me the little spray bottle was just one more thing to keep track of.

Yppej
6-10-20, 6:05pm
I blow on the glasses to make them moist, then rub them on the bottom of my cotton shirt to clean them.

rosarugosa
6-10-20, 6:11pm
I blow on the glasses to make them moist, then rub them on the bottom of my cotton shirt to clean them.

How could I have neglected to mention this time-honored technique? When we were youngsters and DH was only DBF, he always wore cotton BVD t-shirts, and I used to clean my glasses on the hem of his t-shirts.
PS: "Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses" is a myth. :laff:

Yppej
6-10-20, 6:15pm
PS: "Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses" is a myth. :laff:

LOL

iris lilies
6-10-20, 7:23pm
I used to do soap and water, but I think the alcohol spray or whatever the stuff is just does a better job.Plus, I wash all iPads, phones, and glasses at the same time.