PDA

View Full Version : Covid Winners

Yppej
6-23-20, 8:37pm
I put this under Environmental Issues because with less travel and a smaller population the environment is a winner.

Same with certain companies like Amazon and some industries. For instance, stay at home people are installing more pools and buying more fireworks.

I am wondering if online schools, having virtual learning down pat, will also see a boom.

Some ICU nurses have gotten extra benefits like limo service to and from work so they do not have to take mass transit, and have also seen pay increases in some areas to draw them to hot spots.

Usually alcohol sales go up in bad times but I haven't heard any data on that this time around. Toilet paper and disinfectant manufacturers for sure are sitting pretty.

Who else do you think is getting or will get a benefit from the pandemic? Let's look for some silver linings instead of all doom and gloom.

catherine
6-23-20, 9:56pm
Healthcare professionals who can now bill insurance for Telemedicine appointments. Also the patients who might have an easier time getting an appointment.

I did hear that alcohol sales had risen, but it wasn't clear if people were drinking more or drinking patterns had simply changed--i.e., buying large bottles of alcohol for home consumption as opposed to buying drinks at a bar.

Zoom. Zoom meetings and other video meeting platforms are now almost standard practice for business and for events like reunions and birthdays.

Yppej
6-24-20, 5:36am
Low earning furloughed people who have returned to work in states with high unemployment benefits. They made more while out than they did working, some also worked off the books, and they still have their jobs.

catherine
6-24-20, 9:04am
Low earning furloughed people who have returned to work in states with high unemployment benefits. They made more while out than they did working, some also worked off the books, and they still have their jobs.

My son just had to address his "damned if you do/damned if you don't" decision. His boss called him back to his job as a server. He LOVES this restaurant and everyone there. He's the senior server. They are opening 3 nights a week, 50% capacity, reservations only.

He is really scared that he's going to lose his UI benefits to earn $50/night for 3 nights a week. I have told him that he will get UI, but it will be prorated to take into account the few bucks he will be making.

This has been a heated family discussion. DH feels he should offer to work off the books, as you said Y. I say, these are new owners and I don't think they're going to want to risk doing that. Plus it's illegal.

Anyway, this is off topic, but yes, the point about furloughed people who have had a 3 month paid vacation are definite winners. My son is going to use his savings to record some of his music. He should call the album "Songs From the Government."

iris lilies
6-24-20, 9:22am
Catherine, tough decision for your son. Tricky, tricky.

Government workers who get full pay for doing none, little, or some of their jobs are winners.

Old people like us on Social Security income streams who have hobbies and interests outside of human gatherings, and who have mechanisms to be outdoors, are winners in that we are enjoying a slower pace of life these days.

JaneV2.0
6-24-20, 9:44am
Mask, face shield, sanitizer, puzzle and game, arts and craft supply manufacturers...Undertakers. Delivery services.
This isn't going away any time soon.

iris lilies
6-24-20, 9:57am
I would think streaming services like Netflix etc have seen increases. Maybe. While people have stimulus money, anyway.

JaneV2.0
6-24-20, 10:05am
I would think streaming services like Netflix etc have seen increases. Maybe. While people have stimulus money, anyway.

I'm tempted to (finally) subscribe to Netflix so I can watch the new Unsolved Mysteries.

Tybee
6-24-20, 11:30am
My son just had to address his "damned if you do/damned if you don't" decision. His boss called him back to his job as a server. He LOVES this restaurant and everyone there. He's the senior server. They are opening 3 nights a week, 50% capacity, reservations only.

He is really scared that he's going to lose his UI benefits to earn $50/night for 3 nights a week. I have told him that he will get UI, but it will be prorated to take into account the few bucks he will be making.

This has been a heated family discussion. DH feels he should offer to work off the books, as you said Y. I say, these are new owners and I don't think they're going to want to risk doing that. Plus it's illegal.

Anyway, this is off topic, but yes, the point about furloughed people who have had a 3 month paid vacation are definite winners. My son is going to use his savings to record some of his music. He should call the album "Songs From the Government."

I'm in the take the job back and get off unemployment camp. There's no future in unemployment, it's a temporary thing. He likes the job, and he is good at it, and when normal times return, he will be in line for the regular pay. If he doesn't take the job back then they give it to someone else, and then he's in a worse position, given how difficult it may be to find work, with some restaurants shutting down.

I would not work off the books, either. Just roll the dice and go back to work and fingers crossed that things turn up for the industry.

sweetana3
6-24-20, 12:33pm
I am more impressed with people who go all out to earn a living honestly. He loves his job and if he starts early, will be well thought of and have probably first choices.

Does your husband understand the lesson his is giving your son and what hie suggestion tells his son about his own character?

I think for many people the forced time off was not a vacation. For many, if not most, they are worried about what is going to happen next. Sure, there are always those who brag but the worriers are often very quiet.

catherine
6-24-20, 12:46pm
I am more impressed with people who go all out to earn a living honestly. He loves his job and if he starts early, will be well thought of and have probably first choices.

Does your husband understand the lesson his is giving your son and what hie suggestion tells his son about his own character?

No, my son is definitely going back. He knows he's doing the right thing.

Teacher Terry
6-24-20, 1:12pm
I hope people still get partial unemployment because it’s tough to be in a situation where you may not be working enough to pay the bills. My kids are actually downsizing to a smaller, cheaper apartment because my DIL will only be working 3 days/week and tips will probably not be good.

ApatheticNoMore
6-24-20, 2:32pm
I think for many people the forced time off was not a vacation. For many, if not most, they are worried about what is going to happen next. Sure, there are always those who brag but the worriers are often very quiet.

no doubt

songs from the government? many exist. UB40 was named after an unemployment program in the UK, well the UK had a generous welfare state at one point. The U.S. never had that, it did however once upon a time have a job market that was good enough to allow a fair amount of leeway to make mistakes (like trying to make a career in music) and get back in the system working for the man if they didn't pan out.

As for working off the books, there seems whole systems set up to enable that. Like there are government programs here to buy property at below market prices. As market prices are unaffordable to the vast majority this sounds wonderful right. Then you look at the income requirements and they are so low that you could NOT AFFORD the property even at those rates if you ACTUALLY earned that income. So who exactly is making use of these programs? Hmm ..

dado potato
6-25-20, 8:33am
Hormel, the maker of SPAM brand canned meat, is enjoying high demand. Consumption of canned meat increased 70% over the past 15 weeks, as shoppers look for substitutes for fresh meat. COVID-19 infections in meat packing plants resulted in temporary closures and reduced supply of fresh meat.

Gardnr
6-26-20, 11:08am

I think for those unemployed during this time, it was a time of worry for the present-paying bills, for their children-if they have them as well as for the future in how to catch up financially and how long that will take. Sadly, the average American savings account of $1000 was hardly a drop in the bucket for most. And considering how many of us are nicely retired and how many billionaires there are in this country, I suspect if the top 2% were removed, average savings is closer to $50.

We keep putting money into the local foodbank and they've done well. Not one person has been turned away and no proof-of-need requested. Farmers are putting out tons of produce for the taking-since restaurant industry is a low-consumer, they have surplus and are giving it away rather than allowing it to spoil.

The goodness of farmers shines through in tough times.

iris lilies
6-26-20, 11:37am
Hormel, the maker of SPAM brand canned meat, is enjoying high demand. Consumption of canned meat increased 70% over the past 15 weeks, as shoppers look for substitutes for fresh meat. COVID-19 infections in meat packing plants resulted in temporary closures and reduced supply of fresh meat.

Hormel and Spam put DH thru college. His dad worked at a Hormel plant.

Yppej
7-12-20, 7:44am
Robotics manufacturers. Meatpacking plants are looking to accelerate automation due to covid outbreaks among their employees. Andrew Yang is looking more and more prescient.

Yppej
7-19-20, 6:33am
Sellers of computers and accessories, with people studying and working at home.

Rogar
7-19-20, 6:52am

Purely a casual observation, but being a non-meat eater I've noticed the plant based meat alternatives like Beyond Beef seem to have lower store inventories than usual as well.

I suspect Amazon has been doing quit good. My Fidelity advisor has said that there are some tech sector mutual funds that are up 20% or more for the year. I did not do a fact check on that, but suspect many things biotech or or related to online shopping and communications could be winners. Pet and gardening supplies. I would guess that everything combined will mean less auto travel. I've wondered how learning of the ability to work at home for many might affect office space demand.

Yppej
8-11-20, 5:58pm
Video game sales are up 30% compared to last year.

KayLR
8-11-20, 6:11pm
I've noticed a lot of ads for online exercise programs for adults who can't go to the pool or gym.

Meal delivery services? Maybe. I know some who use them because they're sick of cooking every single night.

Rogar
8-12-20, 7:44am
My auto insurance came due this month and was about a hundred dollars less than usual. There was a letter explaining that with Covid people were driving less and fewer accidents, thus the reduction. I'm skeptical that's the full story since my auto insurance has hardly ever gone down and I can't imagine insurance companies being that altruistic, but I'll take it.

I've noticed a marked increase in people engaged in outdoor activities, which is good, but makes things a little more crowded for me. A local fly fishing guide was interviewed on public radio and said her (yes, good to see women involved in this) business has increased three fold. Fishing has been featured in a few news programs as a popular social distancing sport. My local bike store has said that simple repairs that would normally have a 1 or 2 two day turnaround could now take up to 10 days due to increased demand.

There have also been a lot more dog walkers out and about in my neighborhood. I suspect in the dog world, more tails are wagging.

Tradd
8-12-20, 8:46am
I’d expect book/eBook sales are up.

catherine
8-12-20, 11:33am
I’d expect book/eBook sales are up.

If only...

I'm fearing for the fate of books in general. I agree with increase in video game sales, Netflix sales, but I think there are readers and there are non-readers in the world today, and a pandemic is not going to turn a non-reader into a reader.

Tradd
8-12-20, 11:35am
Maybe not, but a lot of people who haven’t been able to get to the library may be buying books now.

catherine
8-12-20, 11:40am
Maybe not, but a lot of people who haven’t been able to get to the library may be buying books now.

That's true.

flowerseverywhere
8-12-20, 1:45pm
health insurance companies
https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2020/08/06/us-health-insurers-profits-boom-amid-pandemic-infographic/#2f9136c0451f

People fearful of food shortages buying freezers. Seed suppliers and supplies, more home gardens

puzzle led and game makers

Tammy
8-12-20, 4:22pm
I’ve been buying lots more ebooks since I’m home with Covid. There’s not much I can do except read ...

sweetana3
8-12-20, 5:03pm
We bought Mom a Kindle since the library closed and she still had a need for a lot of reading material.

Tradd
8-12-20, 6:12pm
The senior friend I’ve been grocery shopping for has an iPad. Her kids will get her Apple gift cards to get eBooks, but she’s still run out of stuff to read. I passed two thick novels along to her over the weekend.

Yppej
11-18-20, 6:24pm
There was a long line at the Taco Bell drive thru today. I think they are doing well in the pandemic.

JaneV2.0
11-19-20, 8:42am
I'll run out of food long before I'll run out of reading material (thank you, Kindle)--and I have plenty of food. In fact, I'll probably run out of time first...:cool:

Tradd
11-20-20, 8:47pm
I got a new Kindle during Prime Days. Old one was from 2013 and had stopped holding much of a charge. I gave that one to someone who wanted to do eBooks and didn't mind about having to charge all the time. The newer Paperwhites are waterproof which is fab since I read in the tub a lot.