PDA

View Full Version : Are You Going Places by Yourself?

Yppej
7-18-20, 10:26am
People I would normally go places with are scared of covid, so with all my vacation time still on the books I am contemplating some day trips within the region to outdoor spots and possibly indoor because though I dislike masks if the A/C is on sometimes it is tolerable. Do you go places by yourself? Do you enjoy the experience the same as, less than, or more than going with others? Do you ever feel unsafe by yourself?

razz
7-18-20, 11:15am
It is a challenge figuring out options for solo vacations.

I am very comfortable doing things that I like on my own. The problem is deciding where to go that will be certain to follow proper health guidelines. Presently, once a week, I am supporting local restaurants with takeout service and inviting a friend or two to my patio to eat and visit. This has been a success.

I wanted to go the reopening of the Art Gallery of Ontario which has timed entry tickets to ensure proper spacing and many other precautions but I need to get there via transit, arrange for dog daycare and then returning. I am going to wait until September.

I want to visit my sister about 3 hours away with a lovely drive and I can take my dog. I am planning on doing this in August. We can buy a takeout meal and eat it in a park. It will be a lot of driving but I enjoy the feeling of freedom and the scenery along with visiting my sister.

If you are a photo enthusiast, are there places that you would like to visit to look for the perfect shot early morning or evening where other people would restrict your activities?

Not knowing your interests, could you make a list of favourite places that is hard to get others to attend but you enjoy.

Yppej
7-18-20, 11:26am
Some things I have thought of are hikes, seeing the outside of a peace pagoda, outdoor dining, a hot air balloon ride, a small museum, swimming at a lake.

SteveinMN
7-18-20, 11:38am
A friend of ours rents out his lake cabin when he's not using it. His friends can "borrow" it if they leave it ready for him or the next renter. He asked DW and me if we'd like a half-week up there. I love the place (well, I love what it represents; I have zero interest in moving there to live) so we said yes. The more we thought about it, though, making the straight-shot trip because we didn't want to be using public bathrooms off the interstate, deciding whether to buy groceries there and cook (that sounded like work ;)) or get takeout for each meal, having to wash a set of sheets to keep the place stocked (we'd have to sleep on the alternate set and wash them to leave them there; more "work"), and a lack of things to do in town got us to thinking. So did the "mask thing" (sorry; real for us) -- wearing masks just not a thing up there.

We decided to just go, clean the cabin, enjoy a couple of hours lakeside, and come home. Granted the experience would be different if you didn't have to do the cleaning, but I'd still be thinking about how well they cleaned where you were staying, food prep, and how much/how little there was to do at your destination. We have no real incentive to make that trip again soon. ETA the change of scenery was nice, but we can just go on a 2-3 hour trip and call it good without calling it a vacation.

herbgeek
7-18-20, 11:59am
When I was working, I would take a day off each June for a solo day. Typically I'd drive up to Maine, stop at Kittery Trading Post and maybe one or two other outlet stores, Pigs Fly Bread store, Stonewall Kitchen (condiments), maybe over to York Beach for a walk or tea and cookies in my car with the windows open. I'd go up to Ogunquit and walk Marginal Way and smell the beach roses and the ocean on the trail. Do a hike at the Rachel Carson refuge in Wells, stop for lunch somewhere interesting. Occasionally get as far as Portland or Freeport (LL Bean) then wind my way home, finding specialty shops and maybe stopping for wine tastings.

I'd be a little leary to do that this year. Massachusetts folks aren't exactly welcome because we are germy (higher covid rates than Maine). Don't want to use public facilities or go indoors for recreational shopping. Walkers on the Marginal Way are often not respectful of other people's space so even outdoors would be a little uncomfortable.

So yes, I like to do solo day trips, but am unlikely to do so this summer.

Teacher Terry
7-18-20, 12:21pm
Hiking and swimming alone are dangerous. I would certainly explore shops or eat out by myself.

flowerseverywhere
7-18-20, 12:51pm
Do you ride a bike? If so check out rails to trails. I pack a lunch and my bike. Although you are basically alone, there are lots of people who ride by and you could flag someone down if you need help. I did a twenty mile ride the other day through wonderful smelling trees and wildflowers. Many butterflies and birds, a few alligators and gopher tortoise. Enough to recharge me. Even a county park to walk or ride as long as you went in daylight and there were some other folks around. Also, DH and I checked out lots of parks and historical exhibits within 50 miles of us. Many hiking, learning walking and boating opportunities. For instance at a county park we rented a canoe one day and the only person we came anywhere near was the concessioner. They also rented one person kayaks. We saw other people on the river but just waved from afar.

Not to be crude, but if you really want to avoid bathrooms you could pack what we used to refer to as kids a “pee jar” in the car. Might require some tricky maneuvering but a slight inconvenience is worth being able to get out. Or larger areas have grocery stores to use the bathrooms. A quick in and out with a mask, good hand washing and hand sanitizer once you get out is going to keep you somewhat safe.

We take one one or two trips a week to various areas where we can get some fresh air and recharge. Even walking through a different area of town might show some nice gardens or architecture. I find when you walk almost all people attempt to pass you at the greatest distance they can.

meri
7-18-20, 1:05pm
I do a lot of running, hiking and cycling and traveling by myself. I have harly ever felt unsafe and usually find the experience very enjoyable, more than in company.

Teacher Terry
7-18-20, 1:10pm
When my son was 18 he went hiking alone and was supposed to be gone for 5 days. He hurt himself and couldn’t move. He had to wait for someone to find him, hike out the next day and get help. He had to be air lifted out. Every year people die in our mountains and they usually eventually find the bodies. People get lost or we get a early snowstorm and they lose the trail trying to get down.

JaneV2.0
7-18-20, 1:53pm
There's a disquieting number of unexplained disappearances in the wilderness every year. Fascinating, but scary. Knowledgeable hikers advise to carry a firearm and satellite phone among other necessary supplies, but advise against hiking alone if you have an alternative.

I'm not going anywhere currently, but I've done all kinds of things alone all my life. It's a mixed bag--some activities are better shared.

Yppej
7-18-20, 2:32pm
Well I went to a state forest today. There were only two other people in the water so it was easy to social distance and the water was calm so I felt fine without a lifeguard. I heard from the balloon place and they are still shut down. I don't have a bike but keep the ideas coming. i am taking a long weekend in August.

flowerseverywhere
7-19-20, 2:53am
Your day in the state park does not sound too risky and probably recharging for you. The trails I bike ride on are well known and everything is a calculated risk. I would not hike in a forest or unknown area alone.

I found a small electric bike rental place five miles away and I think I’m going to rent one some day and give it a try.

Also, I just discovered there are several art parks within an hours drive with outdoor sculptures. I’m planning on one next week, again bringing a lunch unless I can find an area with a nice Greek or other interesting restaurant doing takeout.

Our farmers markets is open and i really enjoy walking around and chatting with and buying from my favorite local vendors early on before it gets crowded.

I hope you find some safe things to do.

rosarugosa
7-19-20, 5:19am
Jeppy: Have you been to MA MOCA lately? That is such a vast space, and I've never seen it the least bit crowded, although we tend to go in Sept which might be less busy than mid summer.

Tradd
7-19-20, 6:27am
Friday I’m driving 8 hours to go wreck diving in the Straits of Mackinac in Michigan. I’ll be diving with friends when I get there, but I enjoy the drive by myself. I can stop at interesting parks or historical sites along the way without worrying about others.

Yppej
7-19-20, 6:32am
Hi RR, I have been there. I have been thinking of the Rockwell Museum which according to reviews is normally mobbed with tour buses, so now with limited capacity might be the time to go, but I have no printer to print out the ticket and no smart phone for them to scan it on. I do not like mandatory etickets. I could try printing it at work but sometimes things don't print off correctly there, and it is also shared by many people who sometimes walk off with others' printouts by mistake. I don't want to go around asking who has my personal stuff that I'm doing on company time instead of working. I did get my own printer recently but the toner for it is out of stock, which reminds me of something for the covid winners thread.

razz
7-19-20, 7:02am
Hi RR, I have been there. I have been thinking of the Rockwell Museum which according to reviews is normally mobbed with tour buses, so now with limited capacity might be the time to go, but I have no printer to print out the ticket and no smart phone for them to scan it on. I do not like mandatory etickets. I could try printing it at work but sometimes things don't print off correctly there, and it is also shared by many people who sometimes walk off with others' printouts by mistake. I don't want to go around asking who has my personal stuff that I'm doing on company time instead of working. I did get my own printer recently but the toner for it is out of stock, which reminds me of something for the covid winners thread.

Yppej, do you have a AAA or equivalent travel agency that can order the timed ticket for you? I have found them really helpful for planning my solo activities.

Yppej
7-19-20, 7:05am
I am a AAA member Razz. Thanks for the suggestion.

iris lilies
7-19-20, 11:01am
Your day in the state park does not sound too risky and probably recharging for you. The trails I bike ride on are well known and everything is a calculated risk. I would not hike in a forest or unknown area alone.

I found a small electric bike rental place five miles away and I think I’m going to rent one some day and give it a try.

Also, I just discovered there are several art parks within an hours drive with outdoor sculptures. I’m planning on one next week, again bringing a lunch unless I can find an area with a nice Greek or other interesting restaurant doing takeout.

Our farmers markets is open and i really enjoy walking around and chatting with and buying from my favorite local vendors early on before it gets crowded.

I hope you find some safe things to do.

Sculpture parks are a great idea for this year. I will bet sculpture parks all over the country are saying increase traffic.

rosarugosa
7-19-20, 5:02pm
Jeppy: Here's another thought prompted by other comments. This one is on my list; I haven't been there since I was a little girl:
https://decordova.org/

Yppej
7-19-20, 5:05pm
I was at DeCordova in October RR. I would recommend it, as well as the more ambitious Andres Art Institute in southern New Hampshire.

bae
7-19-20, 5:05pm
When I go on solo hikes or bike rides these days to places that have low-volume-of-traffic, I always file a "flight plan" with a responsible person, in case I sprain my ankle on the trail or something. Some of the spots here, you could go a week or more before someone came across you.

rosarugosa
7-19-20, 6:00pm
Good to know, Jeppy. I never heard of Andres. I will add it to the list!

larknm
7-21-20, 3:14pm
Since I got old I use a policy of not going places alone where I couldn't handle it if trouble came up. I have no cellphone or other safety devices, so that means no hiking alone in places where there are not other people.

Yppej
8-17-20, 2:13pm
I contacted AAA and they do have etickets but only for their partner organizations. They don't even have them for all organizations that offer AAA discounts.

ConnieVarricchio
8-26-20, 11:29pm
My idea of a vacation is going home,turning the phone off, sitting in my bedroom and binge watching Netflix. I order a pizza and have it delivered. It ssems the time goes by too fast though and its time to get back to real life.

frugal-one
8-27-20, 7:57am
My idea of a vacation is going home,turning the phone off, sitting in my bedroom and binge watching Netflix. I order a pizza and have it delivered. It ssems the time goes by too fast though and its time to get back to real life.

We are all different. Even when I was working I wanted more than this. A vacation to me is doing something special ... out of the ordinary. Now.. the days are just running into each other and I realize my life is wilting away.

SteveinMN
8-27-20, 8:55am
A vacation to me is doing something special ... out of the ordinary.
There was a time -- in the growing distance now -- before I discovered living simply, when going home, turning off the phone, and eating pizza, while binge-watching, would have been all the vacation I wanted. It would have been a distinct break from the schedule I was maintaining.

frugal-one
8-27-20, 9:04am
Vacation definition by Oxford dictionary: an extended period of leisure and recreation, especially one spent away from home or in traveling.

I guess I never referred to having a day off or going home to watch tv as a vacation. To me, a vacation implies a number of days doing something enjoyable/unusual away from home. The term I've heard for staying home is a staycation.

JaneV2.0
8-27-20, 10:21am
I've found most vacations more work than they're worth; I've never been much of traveler.

Teacher Terry
8-27-20, 12:06pm
I absolutely love to travel and my perfect trip is 2 weeks. We have stayed longer due to the price of airfare.

Gardnr
8-27-20, 12:24pm
I absolutely love to travel and my perfect trip is 2 weeks. We have stayed longer due to the price of airfare.

Ditto. I too love home sweet homes.

Teacher Terry
8-27-20, 12:33pm
Plus I miss my doggies:))

frugal-one
8-27-20, 3:06pm
I absolutely loved being gone for the winter last year. We were gone 3 months and we planned on going for longer this year. I hate cold weather. We were gone about a month more to other places during the year.

I am keeping busy now but there is no excitement... nothing special to look forward to. I am living in limbo.

Teacher Terry
8-27-20, 3:18pm
If I am gone too long I miss my kids and friends.

frugal-one
8-27-20, 4:13pm
We have no family in the area. Many of our friends leave for the winter too. Life seems so much more rewarding when we are on the go. In the scheme of things, no one really cares about us. So, we might as well make the most of the time we have left. It is hard to do now.

Tammy
8-27-20, 5:19pm
I’m learning to value a simple day at home. It’s not easy because every day since July 10 has been like that. I’ve never lived like this before.

I often think about the meaning/purpose of our lives. I think of the people who crossed the Atlantic and settled in a little village in 1700 on the then-western frontier and never left that village. Or the western homesteaders of the 1800s who didn’t even have a village. They probably lived a lot like I have been, with the exception of seeing a few neighbors now and then. I’m thinking that a small insular life is helping me to accept that my life is pretty simple, with all of distractions removed. It can either be depressing, or it can reveal things that we would not have seen without this experience. I think we are learning some of what people go to monasteries to learn.

KayLR
8-27-20, 6:03pm
I've been taking my autistic grandson fishing every Tuesday, into the evening. It occurred to me the other day how that could be considered adventurous, since I'm "an old lady" now and although I don't think of him this way, many consider my grandson less than dependable in an emergency.

The thing is...I love it. I love how it makes me feel younger, how it makes me feel kinda badass to wade out into the Columbia River at dusk. We don't cross paths with too many people and can keep our masks in our pockets. We stay out til we can't see. We hardly ever catch anything. But we're enjoy the casting, watching sailboats, the planes flying over us, the sunset, the breeze.

Maybe this isn't quite on the topic, but I feel like I'm on a mini-vacation every Tuesday. Just him and me. Not watching the news.

JaneV2.0
8-27-20, 6:24pm
Having waded, even swum in the Columbia, I can support your feelings of badassery!

I had a discussion with a friend today about what people do at home all day now that most of us are. We're readers--so there's that--but really, there are many, many activities, from gardening to sewing to cooking to compulsive cleaning to physical play outside to artwork and crafts of all kinds--that I don't understand how people can consider being at home a form of punishment. Plus, those who have cars are free to roam as far and wide as they are able. And I'm sure I'm leaving out all kinds of spiritual practices and social interactions that play into the mix.

razz
8-27-20, 6:36pm
The internet, in addiition to all mentioned earlier, offers so much with such diversity that life is not boring unless you choose that response. I needed to stop planning every hour of the day and am loving the freedom from my self-imposed busy schedule of earlier days.

JaneV2.0
8-27-20, 7:54pm
The internet, in addiition to all mentioned earlier, offers so much with such diversity that life is not boring unless you choose that response. I needed to stop planning every hour of the day and am loving the freedom from my self-imposed busy schedule of earlier days.

On those few occasions when I find myself bored, I know that some other kind of malaise is going on. I really don't understand the concept.

frugal-one
8-27-20, 8:41pm
Well, I could care less about my house, you can only do so much leisure reading, I joined the gym to be motivated to exercise... something I dread on my own (can't do that now), I have cooked every day since March 17th, I ache from gardening and don't enjoy it, I don't sew, am not crafty or artistic, I am not religious nor an introvert. So, I think I have done well so far. We did go birdwatching when the weather was nice and will go again when the trees are without leaves. We walk outside about 5 miles per day. I joined a few zoom book clubs and have been studying a few things of interest. I have been visiting with a few friends outdoors and social distancing. Today I canned salsa. I dread the thought of winter though. I have not been bored but have missed the joys of life in doing something new. I thrive on variety, meeting new people and going different places. I only hope this is not the way my life ends. There is too much more to do and see.

Tammy
8-27-20, 9:50pm
Had a virtual visit with my provider today and we are extending my leave through Oct 13, with continued check-ins every few weeks. I’m still not recovered enough to return to work. I am, however, alive and in my right mind. That’s better than on a ventilator. So I get to continue my journey into mindfulness, serenity, and acceptance.

This is quite the adventure. I find that I have no more patience for those who think covid19 is a hoax. Unfortunately, I do know personally some people who hold that opinion.

Teacher Terry
8-28-20, 1:56am
It was critical for us to resume some of our social life. Every Wednesday is lunch out and games at my house with 3 friends. Sunday is lattes with another friend at a coffee shop. Friday night I stay at my best friend’s and we have a leisurely breakfast on Saturday. Thursday we meet my son and his wife in the park for a visit. A couple times a month we get together with another couple for dinner and games. My husband and I have dinner out one day a week. Things are much better since we have started resuming these activities.

SteveinMN
8-28-20, 9:50am
Things are much better since we have started resuming these activities. We're trying to strike a balance ourselves because winter will curtail some activities and we still think things will get worse before they get better. So we've concluded we need to choose our exposures.

Exposure with the grandkids is irregular and with x95 masks because that family's "bubble" is enormous. We get together with friends in our backyard or at picnic sites in parks so we can see them and minimize the risk of transmission. We do takeout rarely because I'm not yet burned out on cooking at home (not like we did that much takeout before because so much of it is not keto-friendly).

Different people at different times. Thinking about it, the only people DW and I are around on a consistent basis, maskless, is each other. We may take off our masks for a bit while visiting at a distance from others but we have no others around whom we're consistently without a mask. Hmmm....

Yppej
8-28-20, 9:58am
Steve, I am similar to you, except in my case it is my adult child who lives with me and not a spouse who is the only person I am around socially unless 6 or more feet apart and outdoors. Winter too will present me with a challenge. I currently visit my parents and brother outdoors at a distance and connect with friends mainly via media, though one time I met some in a park.

Because I consider myself low risk I am worried about exposing others rather than them exposing me. I am already exposed at work.

iris lilies
8-28-20, 10:16am
I’m seriously thinking about taking a solo driving trip out east. I’m thinking in my mind how do I avoid human contact until I get out to visit my friend. She is very socially isolated and seldom goes anywhere and certainly doesn’t have circles of friends, so I’m not terribly worried about her infection rate I am a little more concerned about me bringing the virus to her. But I know she won’t worry about that.

So it’s like a 3-4day driving trip. I’m gonna stop and visit dead relatives but they are in the ground so it’s not so I will be partying with them.

My main concern is staying in accommodation at night. I’m already thinking about how I would bring in only minimal items, billfold and iPads and charging equipment at night, and a change of clothing. I wouldn’t drag in suitcases and anything else. I would travel with lots of sanitizer and paper towels, and would clean surfaces in the motel rooms. I would have to stop for gas once or twice a day, but would clean everything I touch with sanitizer. I would travel with my own hand soap. All food would be from takeout places most likely although I might dart into a grocery store for their deli section.

iris lilies
8-28-20, 10:18am
We learned yesterday afternoon that the Hermann nursing home has an outbreak of COVID-19 which must be terrifying for healthcare providers around here because the stress on the tiny hospital will be high.

Hermann and it’s county has been barely registering Covid cases over the past six months, but now it’s ticking up words.

Yppej
8-28-20, 10:36am
IL I saw on the news that almost everything at hotels now is done via smartphone from checking in to changing the channels on the TV. You reserve a time for the pool and have it to yourself. I would be more worried about bathroom breaks while driving.

SteveinMN
8-28-20, 1:32pm
Because I consider myself low risk I am worried about exposing others rather than them exposing me. I am already exposed at work.
That is one thing we no longer have to consider, being retired.

We do find that, if we do encounter someone (known or unknown), we start gauging our other recent/soon-to-be exposures. For example, the days I go grocery shopping and do our other errands generally are sandwiched between days of no exposure at all. I haven't seen research that indicates if the consecutive potential exposure of "rest Sunday, do A, B, and C on Monday, and rest Tuesday and Wednesday" is better than "do A on Monday, do B on Tuesday, do C on Thursday" but I don't want to punctuate each day with one errand or with have to move the car a short distance each day. Maybe it makes no difference at all and it depends, instead, on who I meet who may not be sick and/or properly wearing a mask. So much we don't know!

DW just sent a note to the rest of the family that we won't be attending Grandma's birthday celebration this weekend. The plan is to cheer her at her assisted-living room window and then everyone will go to go to one of her kids' houses nearby for a potluck. Way too wide-spun a bubble for our comfort -- 14 people before we show up and one of the nephews from out of town is bringing his GF to "meet the family". DW sees her mom every week or so (facility finally is letting people inside resident's rooms, with PPE), so it's not like we're dissing her. I wouldn't mind getting together with family but, if we're not going to sit close to all the (unmasked) others (with whom we have almost zero bubble overlap) and we're not comfortable eating food prepared and served in common, what sense does it make to go? Hopefully we'll get to the wedding (if there is one).

catherine
8-28-20, 1:43pm
I’m seriously thinking about taking a solo driving trip out east. I’m thinking in my mind how do I avoid human contact until I get out to visit my friend. She is very socially isolated and seldom goes anywhere and certainly doesn’t have circles of friends, so I’m not terribly worried about her infection rate I am a little more concerned about me bringing the virus to her. But I know she won’t worry about that.

So it’s like a 3-4day driving trip. I’m gonna stop and visit dead relatives but they are in the ground so it’s not so I will be partying with them.

My main concern is staying in accommodation at night. I’m already thinking about how I would bring in only minimal items, billfold and iPads and charging equipment at night, and a change of clothing. I wouldn’t drag in suitcases and anything else. I would travel with lots of sanitizer and paper towels, and would clean surfaces in the motel rooms. I would have to stop for gas once or twice a day, but would clean everything I touch with sanitizer. I would travel with my own hand soap. All food would be from takeout places most likely although I might dart into a grocery store for their deli section.

I've been on one overnight since this thing started. I stayed at a local inn the night before my DD's shower. They wore masks during check-in. They had a tent for diners, and the servers wore masks. I traveled light, didn't unpack. When I came back home, I paid attention to any potential symptoms and took my temperature every day--mainly bc DH has a lot of risk factors.

I don't think travel is worth all that hassle yet. If you have to, fine. But to volunteer to comply with all the State regulations regarding quarantine and all that stuff--I wouldn't unless I had to. My son has to get tested before he travels from NJ to VT for his sister's wedding. My DH's doctor told him he has to get tested before he returns to NJ for a routine procedure.

IL, that's not to say I think you SHOULDN'T. If you want to, by all means. I am not an excessively concerned person, but I'm moderately prudent. And it's something you think about all the time. It takes some of the fun out of travel for sure.

iris lilies
8-28-20, 2:36pm
IL I saw on the news that almost everything at hotels now is done via smartphone from checking in to changing the channels on the TV. You reserve a time for the pool and have it to yourself. I would be more worried about bathroom breaks while driving.

yes, I already thought of the daily bathroom breaks. I bought a “pee bucket “ with a secure lid at the thrift store last week for this exact thing. Pull off the side of the road and use it. I do not plan to use public bathrooms during the day. When I am at motel I will use that in the evening and in the morning. That would be my plan anyway if I do go on this little jaunt.

JaneV2.0
8-28-20, 4:22pm
yes, I already thought of the daily bathroom breaks. I bought a “pee bucket “ with a secure lid at the thrift store last week for this exact thing. Pull off the side of the road and use it. I do not plan to use public bathrooms during the day. When I am at motel I will use that in the evening and in the morning. That would be my plan anyway if I do go on this little jaunt.

There's a funnel thingy (Wirecutter recommends the "Tinkle Belle") that women can use to avoid sitting on public toilets or in any place where standing would be more convenient or hygienic.

Tradd
8-28-20, 5:23pm
She-wee I think it’s called.

iris lilies
8-28-20, 5:28pm
There's a funnel thingy (Wirecutter recommends the "Tinkle Belle") that women can use to avoid sitting on public toilets or in any place where standing would be more convenient or hygienic.
That’s not for me though. I don’t even want to go into a public bathroom.

catherine
8-28-20, 5:28pm

I remember going to NYC with my mother when I was about 6, and we went to Macy's and when I I had to go to the bathroom, she carefully spread TP all around the seat for me.. Too bad we didn't have the She-wee in 1958.

One of my son's friend's girlfriends talked about driving up the East coast a couple of months ago and using a Solo cup. Desperate times call for desperate measures, I guess.

JaneV2.0
8-29-20, 9:52am
That’s not for me though. I don’t even want to go into a public bathroom.

If I were on the road, I'd probably use a funnel thingy and a container with a lid. Amazon has all-in-one urinal jars with attachable funnels. You must have better aim than I have to use only a pee bucket. :|(

JaneV2.0
8-29-20, 9:57am
"I have not been bored but have missed the joys of life in doing something new. I thrive on variety, meeting new people and going different places. I only hope this is not the way my life ends. There is too much more to do and see."

Meeting new people? Different places? Have you thought about genealogy?

Tradd
8-29-20, 11:05am

That must be at the really high end hotels. I’ve been doing a lot of traveling around the Midwest via car and have yet to see that.

Tradd
8-29-20, 11:05am
And I don’t worry about bathroom breaks while traveling. Mask worn and wash my hands well. I keep a bottle of sanitizer in my car door map pocket that I use.

frugal-one
8-29-20, 4:10pm
"I have not been bored but have missed the joys of life in doing something new. I thrive on variety, meeting new people and going different places. I only hope this is not the way my life ends. There is too much more to do and see."

Meeting new people? Different places? Have you thought about genealogy?

My brother was into that... he researched it. He even looked up extended family in Europe.

SteveinMN
8-29-20, 5:25pm
I keep a bottle of sanitizer in my car door map pocket that I use.
I actually keep the bottle in the back seat map pocket so I don't have to touch the driver's door with my possibly-germy hands.

Teacher Terry
8-29-20, 7:50pm
My husband and I researched some genealogy for awhile but doesn’t replace being with people.

iris lilies
8-31-20, 10:15am
I have been trying for 2+ weeks now to get together with a couple of friends at an outdoor restaurant. While we have a handy one a block from my house, open Sunday and Monday, I don’t want to go there because it seems we end up there too often. The other outdoor patio dining place 1/2 block from my house is nice but also too familiar. The .sunday/Monday hours are important because I find myself eating out most often on those days, and few restaurants are open then.

All of the ethnic places I like do not have outdoor seating, so I am going to try a second tier favorite. They have patio dining, but are they serving on the patio? We shall see.

Yppej
8-31-20, 5:10pm
I went to a restaurant with outdoor dining solo on Friday, Saturday test drove cars, and Sunday went hiking at a wildlife sanctuary with extended family who took their own vehicle, so I managed to find things to do on my 3 day weekend. I still have two weeks vacation time.

jp1
8-31-20, 6:31pm
We have done 3 overnight trips since the start of covid. I wouldn't want to stay in a big hotel, but I'm ok with the brief trips through the lobby of a smaller one, or in one case, it was a little resort with little standalone cottages on the waterfront. As soon as we get in the room we wipe down all the surfaces, light switches, etc with lysol wipes. I'm also in the habit of using a key to push elevator buttons.

I'm less comfortable with eating outdoors at restaurants. We've done it a few times. Generally I will only agree to it if the place isn't busy and we can sit upwind from everyone else. Otherwise we get takeout and have gone back to the room. A couple of months ago we'd gone down onto the peninsula for ice cream because we were tired of the dreary weather and wanted to see sunshine. Afterwards we were wandering along the street and there was a pizza place wide open to the street with no customers (it was maybe 3:00 in the afternoon). We decided to stop and have a beer. What a treat it was to be safely sitting out in public enjoying a beer on a warm summer afternoon.

Yppej
10-11-20, 3:40pm
I climbed a mountain today. Lots of people were out because it's a weekend and leaf peeping season. If I fell I knew there would be someone to help me so I felt safe by myself.

JakeSilva231
11-3-20, 2:04am
It seems to me that sometimes solo trips to the countryside are quite appropriate only if there are no risky movements.

Yppej
11-3-20, 4:41am
I got takeout last week and ate it in my car. We have had snow already and it is too cold for outdoor dining.