PDA

View Full Version : Discussion group suggestions

razz
7-19-20, 5:23pm
Is there an online discussion group that will examine world issues at the college level of discussion. By that I am looking for thoughtful discussion about issues of human impact that will explore the historical, the current and potential impact of an issue.

As an example:
I went to Portugal to find out why they discovered Puerto Rico which I really loved visiting. Found out it was because Portugal was small, close to the sea, adventurous and comfortable sailing using the ocean currents.

In the process, I discovered that the Portuguese were first to bring back slaves from a part of Africa which was a slave trading area. This eventually expanded into the slave trade later used around the world. When the slave trade was found to be unChristian and inhumane, the colonial powers tried to curtail the owning of slaves in the African communities and met resistance from the Africans https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53444752

So, I would love to examine by calm and peaceful discussion the real issue or issues of Black Lives Matter. Is it colour alone, is it equality or what ? There are so many aspects to this and I would really like to explore, learn more and understand better - beyond this is a black vs white issue. A shared understanding of the historical, current and future or potential possibilities. This is just one topic and there are so many more.

I have examined my circle of friends and this is not possible at present so am looking for an online community. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

iris lilies
7-19-20, 5:48pm
Is there an online discussion group that will examine world issues at the college level of discussion. By that I am looking for thoughtful discussion about issues of human impact that will explore the historical, the current and potential impact of an issue.

As an example:
I went to Portugal to find out why they discovered Puerto Rico which I really loved visiting. Found out it was because Portugal was small, close to the sea, adventurous and comfortable sailing using the ocean currents.

In the process, I discovered that the Portuguese were first to bring back slaves from a part of Africa which was a slave trading area. This eventually expanded into the slave trade later used around the world. When the slave trade was found to be unChristian and inhumane, the colonial powers tried to curtail the owning of slaves in the African communities and met resistance from the Africans https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53444752

So, I would love to examine by calm and peaceful discussion the real issue or issues of Black Lives Matter. Is it colour alone, is it equality or what ? There are so many aspects to this and I would really like to explore, learn more and understand better - beyond this is a black vs white issue. A shared understanding of the historical, current and future or potential possibilities. This is just one topic and there are so many more.

I have examined my circle of friends and this is not possible at present so am looking for an online community. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It’s hard for me to imagine an anonymous online forum where respectful discussion of valid points about race take place. I think you are dreaming.

Which is not to say there’s not online learning sources about this topic at all! There ARE many many wonderful online learning sources. But unmoderated & anonymous —nope I don’t think so, which is what many online forums are. If it is “peaceful” discussion, you are getting one side, an echo chamber.

I guess if I were really interested in what you describe, I would sign up for a actual college level course. Audit it, so you get the lectures and class discussion but don’t have to do the work or take tests.

sweetana3
7-19-20, 6:04pm
If a group of people cannot have a civil discussion regarding masks, race is beyond them. I agree with Iris lilies, take a college class or find an academic group involved with this issue. Online would be a disaster.

Yppej
7-19-20, 6:06pm
I would contact Black Lives Matter and ask them for a recommendation.

iris lilies
7-19-20, 6:14pm
The value of a college class is that you have a leader, the professor, who is managing class behavior as well as leading the discussion as well as Acting as a source of knowledge. The students in the class may offer opposing ideas, but they will do it respectfully, given the fact that they want college credit from this professor for this course.It’s a controlled environment. Most online forums are barely controlled.

Yppej
7-19-20, 6:26pm
A book I recommend is When They Call You A Terrorist by one of the founders of BLM.

Tybee
7-19-20, 6:44pm
A lot of times the big MOOC's like Coursera are free or minimal charge--how about finding a sociology class on Racism, or an African American studies class?
Something like this one:
https://www.coursera.org/lecture/race-cultural-diversity-american-life/4-1-institutional-racism-x8mkI

razz
7-19-20, 6:46pm
Thanks for the feedback.

I figured that I was dreaming but thought that I would ask. I had another look at The Great Courses which covers amazing topics but there is no interaction.

In my travels, I would stop and simply ask a question. One painful question I asked a tour director in a private conversation when in Greece; "Byron talked about the blue-eyed Greeks but I see so very few. Why?"

She was struggling but finally explained that most women and young girls were raped with few escaping by the invading Turks with their black curly hair and brown eyes. This material is not usually brought up in tour information, I was told. I then better understood the impact of the Greek-Turk war, the result on a population forever and the pain everlasting on the society of a nation. It has changed how I view the world and the wars.

iris lilies
7-19-20, 6:58pm
Razz I agree that discussion is a very valuable learning tool. So you would get that in a classroom, in an instructor led class.

Tybee
7-19-20, 7:09pm
Here's an interesting resource from Harvard:
https://cyber.harvard.edu/eon/ei/elabs/race/chatting.htm

I don't think Great Courses are interactive.
In South Carolina, college courses are free for seniors if taken non credit, so that might be an option where you live, an actual course.

dado potato
7-20-20, 10:32am
A direct approach to dialogue on race relations would be to reach out to an activist or spokesperson to enter into an online discussion.

One example is the dialogue initiated by Greg Pitttman, of North Freedom WI, with activist Tracey Dent, of Milwaukee (130 miles away).

Pittman listened to a radio interview of Dent on Wisconsin Public Radio on June 4, 2020 (link below): "Milwaukee Activist Talks About Latest Protests".

I assume that Pittman took note that Dent was a founder of the Milwaukee Coalition Against Hate, visited their website, and clicked on the email "contact" link for Dent.

Pittman's reflections on their online ongoing dialogue can be seen at http://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/im-racist-by-default-wisconsin-grandfather-works-on-reform-with-help-from-milwaukee-activist

The WPR interview (about 22 minutes) http://www.wpr.org/listen/1649951

iris lilies
7-20-20, 10:42am
A direct approach to dialogue on race relations would be to reach out to an activist or spokesperson to enter into an online discussion...

uhhhh, I would be very very careful about that approach.

If you haven’t read about the impatience BIPOC have with non-BIPOC people wanting to learn, and they have to provide the lessons giving their own time and resources, then you arent paying attention. To put it bluntly, the sentiment of BIPOC is “we ain’t got time to educate you honky. “

Sure there is a lot of fixed information* on the Internet, lots of wonderful thought-provoking pieces. But our OP wants to insert herself into a dialogue, have real time discussion. That is a whole different dynamic, one that must be treated sensitively.

* by fixed information I mean set pieces, be they video chats, podcast chats, text pieces. But they are not changing pieces with ongoing dialogue.

catherine
7-20-20, 11:24am
I agree with IL that an academic approach would be LESS biased than trying to talk to people who are emotionally invested in the issues. It amazes me that when it comes to BLM, I have a hard time discussing it with my family, never mind a bunch of strangers on a discussion board.

I belong to a closed group that discusses issues around the Charles Eisenstein book "The More Beautiful World Our Hearts Know is Possible." They tend to try to share very positive things about society and culture, and it's an international group, so you might have some luck opening a thread about race issues on that forum. They usually are very quick to shut down any signs of hostility and are pretty rational on the whole. If you are on FB and want me to join you to the group, PM me. Not sure if they will completely fill the bill for you, but they'd at least be nice.

razz
7-20-20, 12:01pm
You have given me some valuable perspective on my interest in online discussion. The Harvard link explained the options very well. I had forgotten about Coursera.org so finally stopped and really examined what was available there.

On Thursdays at 4pm, for about 10 weeks so far, I have registered for a free 1/2 hour discussion via zoom between the Director of the Art Gallery of Ontario in Toronto and the Directors of Boston Museum of Fine Art, Tate in the UK, Kalamazoo IA, National Art Museum in Washington, MOMA and others... about the role and future of museums. Each director was amazingly open and candid about the challenges, strategies, the changes planned.

As the BLM movement unfolded, the discussion did include awareness and response as the public role of museums in this as life does follow art and vice versa. Those registered could submit questions and I did get some of mine answered. This was a controlled discussion obviously but very informative, innovative and certainly the attendance has been very positive.

Because of these online discussions about museums, I signed up last night for a coursera.org - "what is contemporary art?" to better understand how museums and today's artists will respond to the challenges of our world now.

Thank you all for your suggestions and links. They have been very helpful