PDA

View Full Version : More riots and looting in Chicago and Portland

dmc
8-10-20, 7:39am
When is this going to end. What do the rioters want, I know what the looters want. Why would anyone want to live in either of these places? Or do business there.

How long before the shooting starts?

Tradd
8-10-20, 7:51am
There was a police involved shooting yesterday on the south of west side of Chicago. On the news last night, you could see a lot of folks trying to get into it with the CPD. The looting started around midnight.

They just didn’t hit downtown. They also hit the nice shopping on the north side at North and Clybourn.

I woke up at a little after 5 to WGN radio talking about downtown being closed off. No public transit service. A lot of the Chicago River bridges up. All of the downtown freeway exits are closed. Couldn’t figure out what was going on until I heard about the looting a bit later.

This seems to be opportunistic locals is my guess. They hit the nice shopping areas this time, not their own neighborhoods, as far as I can tell from the news. These aren’t protestors. They’re lawless and nothing more than savages.

dado potato
8-10-20, 9:11am
Downtown Chicago looting --

"appears to be co-ordinated effort with minimal police presence." -- Ryan Baker, CBS Reporter, on Twitter

Alan
8-10-20, 9:49am
I believe the current narrative is that these are victimless crimes perpetrated by well meaning but frustrated idealists hoping to create a better world. I expect them to grow exponentially as a result.

Tybee
8-10-20, 9:55am
Tradd, seriously, think about going to Madison.

I lived in Chicagoland area for 30 years, Chicago itself for 4. I would be going to Wisconsin, as are my sil and bil.

Tradd
8-10-20, 10:07am
Tybee, I’m pretty serious about going to WI. Probably Madison suburbs. But next year. I just renewed my lease through late August next year about six weeks ago.

I live in a nice suburb here, but this is getting crazy.

Tybee
8-10-20, 10:25am
Yes, sil and bil are leaving Skokie.

JaneV2.0
8-10-20, 11:04am
I've heard good things about Madison--according to Roadsnacks.net >8), it's the fourth most liberal city in Wisconsin...:~)
Your life seems to have taken a turn for the better, Tradd.

Tradd
8-10-20, 11:09am
I’d only be picking Madison due to diving related stuff.

JaneV2.0
8-10-20, 11:25am
I’d only be picking Madison due to diving related stuff.

But it would be a bonus to find yourself in a nice college town.

dado potato
8-10-20, 11:44am
I am not knocking Madison, but I would think real estate would be a little cheaper in Ashland, located on Chequamegon Bay (short trip to Apostle Islands) in Lake Superior. I am pretty sure there would be diving buddies based in Ashland and nearby Bayfield. Compared to Madison, you'd have darker night skies and you'd hear wolves more often.

LDAHL
8-10-20, 11:46am
Choosing a place to live based on its prevailing political sentiments is like ordering a meal based on the chef’s favorite movie.

Tradd
8-10-20, 11:57am
I am not knocking Madison, but I would think real estate would be a little cheaper in Ashland, located on Chequamegon Bay (short trip to Apostle Islands) in Lake Superior. I am pretty sure there would be diving buddies based in Ashland and nearby Bayfield. Compared to Madison, you'd have darker night skies and you'd hear wolves more often.

My diving instructor and diving buddies are in Madison.

Tybee
8-10-20, 12:03pm
Plus it's easier to travel back to Chicago to visit friends.

Tradd
8-10-20, 12:05pm
Plus it's easier to travel back to Chicago to visit friends.

Correct. Only 2 hours or so.

JaneV2.0
8-10-20, 12:16pm
The Lincoln Project's take on demonstrations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwaklEmDn_0

iris lilies
8-10-20, 12:58pm
But it would be a bonus to find yourself in a nice college town.

I am sure Tradd is aware its nickname is Madistan.

But that said, I like university towns.

dmc
8-10-20, 1:42pm
Choosing a place to live based on its prevailing political sentiments is like ordering a meal based on the chef’s favorite movie.

I know nothing about Portland except what I see in the news, but I don’t expect Chicago to change for the better in my lifetime. The chef there has liked the same movie for a long time.

dmc
8-10-20, 1:48pm
The Lincoln Project's take on demonstrations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwaklEmDn_0

But the feds left Portland, the demonstrators should be happy. These are liberal city’s, and have been for quite some time. Why haven’t all the ills of society been taken care of?

i did not watch the link. But I’m assuming it’s all Trumps fault somehow.

Teacher Terry
8-10-20, 3:06pm
Ashland is beautiful but not many single people want to live in such a small town. Plus it makes the weather in Madison look like Florida:))

frugal-one
8-10-20, 3:51pm
Tybee, I’m pretty serious about going to WI. Probably Madison suburbs. But next year. I just renewed my lease through late August next year about six weeks ago.

I live in a nice suburb here, but this is getting crazy.

Madison is starting to have shootings too. I remember when concealed carry was approved. I commented soon it will be like the wild, wild, west.... it is happening everywhere.

frugal-one
8-10-20, 3:52pm

Also, out in the boondocks.

LDAHL
8-10-20, 3:54pm

Or Mad City. Or the People’s Republic of Madison. Or Pyongyang on the Prairie. Or where taxes go to die. Or the anti-Capitalist Capitol. Or the Snowflake Factory. Or the Polite Berkeley. Or the Isthmus Between Two Bodies of Reality.

frugal-one
8-10-20, 3:55pm

What garbage are you spewing????

frugal-one
8-10-20, 3:55pm
Or Mad City. Or the People’s Republic of Madison. Or Pyongyang on the Prairie. Or where taxes go to die. Or the anti-Capitalist Capitol. Or the Snowflake Factory. Or the Polite Berkeley. Or the Isthmus Between Two Bodies of Reality.

Sounds like trump propaganda.

LDAHL
8-10-20, 4:07pm
Sounds like trump propaganda.

Astoundingly enough, the world didn’t begin with Trump. People have been mocking Madison’s progressive pretentiousness for generations.

Tradd
8-10-20, 5:37pm

Had no clue. Just knew it’s liberal.

Alan
8-10-20, 5:50pm
Madison is starting to have shootings too. I remember when concealed carry was approved. I commented soon it will be like the wild, wild, west.... it is happening everywhere.
Do you have any evidence that these shootings are being committed by concealed carry permit holders? I would be surprised if that were so.

Teacher Terry
8-10-20, 5:58pm
Madison is a great town. I would live there.

iris lilies
8-10-20, 6:12pm
Awww, I love The Snowflake Factory! Also The I between two B. Funny! I have heard .the People’s Rep of M for years, classic.

iris lilies
8-10-20, 6:13pm
Madison is a great town. I would live there.

If I had to live in Wisconsin I might live in Madison and I would probably very much like aspects of it because there’s so much that goes on in a university town. Lots of things to do.

Teacher Terry
8-11-20, 2:11am
I lived in Milwaukee when young and enjoyed it also.

iris lilies
8-11-20, 12:15pm
Had no clue. Just knew it’s liberal.

There’s Iowa City and Lawrence.

And then, there’s Madison. A whole different level.

Tradd
8-11-20, 12:29pm
What about Ann Arbor? I went to Eastern Michigan the next town over and even in the late 80s/early 90s AA was known to be very liberal.

frugal-one
8-11-20, 5:33pm
There’s Iowa City and Lawrence.

And then, there’s Madison. A whole different level.

There are many conservatives as well..... unfortunately now with this moron in the white house.

frugal-one
8-11-20, 5:34pm
Do you have any evidence that these shootings are being committed by concealed carry permit holders? I would be surprised if that were so.

Never said they were just commented that that is when everything seemed to go south.

frugal-one
8-11-20, 5:37pm
If I had to live in Wisconsin I might live in Madison and I would probably very much like aspects of it because there’s so much that goes on in a university town. Lots of things to do.

I don't live in Madison but am close enough to have lots to do. Before the virus, I had to mindfully find days to stay home.

iris lilies
8-11-20, 10:58pm
What about Ann Arbor? I went to Eastern Michigan the next town over and even in the late 80s/early 90s AA was known to be very liberal.
Oh wait, I think I was thinking of Ann Arbor as the Berkeley of the Midwest.

You are right, Madison is probably tamer than I was giving it credit for.

Alan
8-11-20, 11:27pm
Never said they were just commented that that is when everything seemed to go south.But we all know that correlation does not imply causation, don't we?

jp1
8-12-20, 1:06am
But we all know that correlation does not imply causation, don't we?

I suppose time will tell just as time has shown that umbrella man in Minneapolis was a white supremicist thug out to cause harm to the BLM movement.

ApatheticNoMore
8-12-20, 6:30am
Riots very well could just be common criminals. Massive amounts of prisoners were let out of prison many places due to coronavirus, so if there's more weirdness going on, I'm not saying they will all return to a life of crime, but uh some will.

So it may have far less to do with the BLM movement or even with the horrible economic situation which will legitimately drive people to desperation, than uh letting out prisoners, who may see the opportunity to cash in on a protest.

But really I see any possible risk of a such things to me wherever I lived as being far lower than say the risk of living in Florida and getting coronavirus in the worst state in the nation per capita for it. Which is more likely to do actual damage to my life? Possibly neither but between the two duh coronavirus.

dmc
8-18-20, 5:38pm
I see Portland is still rioting, and no end in sight. This can’t be good for the city. Who would want to start a business there, or vacation and spend money there. Who would insure them?

What do the rioters hope to gain, or do they just like throwing things at the police and vandalizing buildings, with a little looting for fun. When do they move to the suburbs?

I have read gun ownership is way up. I guess rioting and wanting to defund the police is good for that industry.

LDAHL
8-18-20, 8:01pm
A small number of arsonists and looters is “mostly peaceful”. A small number of bad cops is “systemic racism”.

jp1
8-18-20, 10:32pm
The peaceful protestors aren’t defending the rioters and looters. The ‘good’ cops on the other hand, not so much.

LDAHL
8-19-20, 8:53am
The peaceful protestors aren’t defending the rioters and looters. The ‘good’ cops on the other hand, not so much.

They seem to have closed ranks pretty effectively when the cops tried to respond to the attack on Adam Haner.

Tradd
8-19-20, 7:13pm

Here in Chicago, one of the BLM folks was calling the looting "reparations" and if people needed to loot due to their economic situation, then so be it. However, was food looted much? Nope, mostly high end stores, as well as smaller businesses.

jp1
8-19-20, 11:27pm
I wonder how much looting Bain capital did? How many companies destroyed by too much debt? How many jobs lost when those companies failed while Bain sucked the lifeblood cash out of them like a vampire?

LDAHL
8-20-20, 10:32am
Lacking the exquisite moral clarity of a warrior for social justice, I don’t see that deploying one’s own capital as one sees fit, and stealing or destroying someone else’s property are somehow equivalent.

And say what you will about Bain, they don’t seem to claim an act of thievery as seizing the moral high ground.

JaneV2.0
8-20-20, 10:37am
I wonder how much looting Bain capital did? How many companies destroyed by too much debt? How many jobs lost when those companies failed while Bain sucked the lifeblood cash out of them like a vampire?

I've noticed that, as a country, we are infinitely forgiving of millionaires/billionaires who grift and loot unimaginable sums of money, while we condemn the poor for doing much less damage. I would say both are wrong, but one is perhaps more understandable.

jp1
8-20-20, 11:04am
And say what you will about Bain, they don’t seem to claim an act of thievery as seizing the moral high ground.

No, they just load up the acquired company with debt, pay themselves nicely, and if the company can't get out from under that debt and everyone loses their job like happened with Toys R Us, oh well. So sorry.

Tradd
8-20-20, 11:11am
There were plenty of minority owned businesses looted here. The BLM crowd and opportunistic locals are just going after people of color. Who knows if insurance will cover all the damage. Businesses are undoubtedly going to go under and then the black and brown neighborhoods will be screaming about lack of local services sooner or later.

LDAHL
8-20-20, 11:53am
Companies fail for all kinds of reasons, and sometimes people are able to profit from the process. Unlike the BLM people who insist that capitalism is racist (although they don’t seem to have a problem shaking corporations down), I don’t have a particular problem with that. The deadwood needs to be cleared for new growth, and not everyone is in a good position to adapt. Sometimes bad things happen without a crime being committed.

Ultimately, I think it’s probably good that I can’t drive my De Soto to Woolworth’s to pick up a can of Burma-Shave. I do see a difference between a store closing because it can’t turn a profit and a store closing because some idiot mouthing slogans burnt it down.

jp1
8-20-20, 12:28pm
Profiting off of a company that you "purchased" isn't legitimate capitalism. The Fairway supermarket chain in NYC is another example of equity capital failing a company. Prior to their "purchase" they had little debt and were profitable providing a great service, opening new stores only when they could afford to. After their "purchase" they took on so much debt in order to be able to rapidly expand that they lost their most valuable asset. Their real estate. Having to pay exhorbitant NYC rents they ended up filing for bankruptcy and are being liquidated and many of the stores closed. But the equity owners, despite their lack of actual business success still had a huge win. Yay capitalism.

LDAHL
8-20-20, 3:14pm
You just described a series of transactions between willing buyers and sellers. I see that as qualitatively different from throwing a brick through a window and stealing a television.

Tradd
8-20-20, 3:33pm
You just described a series of transactions between willing buyers and sellers. I see that as qualitatively different from throwing a brick through a window and stealing a television.

Or athletic shoes. I saw lots of video of shoes being looted.

Tradd
8-20-20, 6:54pm
This is from a right leaning publication but it’s a pretty good summary of what’s been going on in Chicago.

https://www.city-journal.org/looter-vandals-sack-chicagos-north-side

dmc
8-27-20, 12:29pm
More free stuff in Minneapolis, so now even suicides are reasons to loot.

LDAHL
8-27-20, 2:50pm
I have to believe that in the long run voters will punish city administrations that oversee police departments they think are “systemically racist” and unjustifiably violent, and also fail to adequately protect their citizens from the violence and looting we are seeing. It’s hard for me to see that mouthing slogans will be viewed as an adequate substitute.

bae
8-27-20, 3:34pm
Profiting off of a company that you "purchased" isn't legitimate capitalism.

Piffle.

One of my jobs at my last company was identifying promising young companies with interesting technology. Which I would then arrange for us to buy. Usually this resulting in cool new things getting to market far earlier, with higher quality and lower costs, than if the company we had bought had tried to do things all by themselves.

And sometimes this process would result in eliminating wasteful projects, inefficient processes, and unnecessary employees. Things which would have spelled the death of the original enterprise if allowed to persist.

It was exactly legitimate capitalism.

jp1
8-27-20, 8:59pm
There’s a difference between purchasing a company and taking on both the chance of success and the risk of failure purchasing a company with the agreement structured in such a way that one only takes on the potential success but not the risk of failure.

If one purchases a company but structures the purchase in such a way that they can’t lose money even if they drive the company into the ground did they really purchase it in any meaningful way? Sure it’s crafty in an ugly sort of way. And even legal apparently. But it’s not beneficial to society or the stakeholders of the purchased company.

LDAHL
8-28-20, 1:45am
There’s a difference between purchasing a company and taking on both the chance of success and the risk of failure purchasing a company with the agreement structured in such a way that one only takes on the potential success but not the risk of failure.

If one purchases a company but structures the purchase in such a way that they can’t lose money even if they drive the company into the ground did they really purchase it in any meaningful way? Sure it’s crafty in an ugly sort of way. And even legal apparently. But it’s not beneficial to society or the stakeholders of the purchased company.

If a company’s assets can be liquidated for more than it is worth as a going concern, then I think it is beneficial to society to do so and redeploy the capital more efficiently.

bae
8-28-20, 2:17am
If a company’s assets can be liquidated for more than it is worth as a going concern, then I think it is beneficial to society to do so and redeploy the capital more efficiently.

And now you see the violence inherent in the system, folks! This evil is why it is almost impossible to buy a buggy-whip these days.

jp1
8-28-20, 6:52am

Spoken like a true bean counter.

Is it good for society for a company to declare bankruptcy and creditors to not be fully paid if they could continue as a viable ongoing concern?

LDAHL
8-28-20, 10:26am
Spoken like a true bean counter.

Is it good for society for a company to declare bankruptcy and creditors to not be fully paid if they could continue as a viable ongoing concern?

If the company could pay its creditors by continuing in operation, and the creditors agree, the Receiver generally tries to find new owners.