PDA

View Full Version : Stocking up for the fall/winter

Tradd
8-11-20, 8:02pm
I'm in the midst of stocking up for this fall/winter. Multiples of all toiletries, toilet paper, laundry detergent, etc. It's looking like it could be an interesting time, whether with covid or whatever else.

I'm doing a lot of canned goods/shelf stable stuff, as well. I use a lot of Silk Almond milk in tea/cereal. I bought a bunch of the UHT quart boxes off Amazon. Lot of tea. Canned chicken to use in soup and sandwiches. Lot of canned soup/stew. All stuff I eat.

Amazon and Walmart.com are where I'm ordering. Comparing prices. Walmart is good for a lot of the food stuff as I can get the store brand if I want. I'm a Prime member and Walmart has free shipping (often next day) with orders over $35.

I've got an InstantPot so I'm going to try making yogurt. I eat a lot of it.

I'm also stocking up on paper books, letter writing and journaling supplies.

Any suggestions on stuff I might be missing? Anyone else stocking up.

Yppej
8-11-20, 8:14pm
Not to the degree I should be, but a little bit.

How about medications, first aid kit items like bandaids, vitamins and supplements if applicable?

Contact lens solution if applicable and spare lenses.

Any basic clothing items you might wear out or run out of like socks.

If you have the appropriate storage space and are very concerned about the future you could get canisters of gasoline.

Printer toner and paper.

Teacher Terry
8-11-20, 8:34pm
Nothing more than our usual which is we buy a month worth of groceries and 3 months of medications. Have done this ever since retiring. Also buy 3 months of dog food and treats.

Rogar
8-11-20, 9:14pm
I'll be looking to buy more flour for baking. When cooler weather returns and it's more of a baking season I could see there being shortages.

Tradd
8-11-20, 9:15pm
Not to the degree I should be, but a little bit.

How about medications, first aid kit items like bandaids, vitamins and supplements if applicable?

Contact lens solution if applicable and spare lenses.

Any basic clothing items you might wear out or run out of like socks.

If you have the appropriate storage space and are very concerned about the future you could get canisters of gasoline.

Printer toner and paper.

Multivitamin, Motrin, acid reflux meds, Flonase, and Zyrtek-D are all I take. I can stock up on all except the Zyrtek-D. Have to sign for it at the pharmacy.

Good on clothes except for a few long sleeved t-shirts and maybe a fleece top or two.

Good on printer paper and ink. Don’t use it much.

sweetana3
8-12-20, 4:59am
The yeast is gone from our stores. I am thankful each loaf takes 1/4 teaspoon and I have a jar. Probably should share some of it so it does not go bad.

happystuff
8-12-20, 7:11am
I'm somewhat stocked up but tend to get a little panicky about "having enough" when I read posts like this. I will do more flour, as I bake all our bread; don't need yeast though as I have sourdough starter. May get one more big pack of tp, but have enough. Meds - always tricky as can only order on prescription schedule. Also well stocked on cans, dried beans, maybe get more rice. Veggies will be the hardest if TSHTF, but I have some sprouting seeds.

Rosemary
8-12-20, 7:42am
We always stock up more in winter, filling the freezer with autumn produce and getting the pantry ready for the cold, snowy, dark season. The main inconvenience for me will be going to the store less combined with not having the garden. I can only store so much fresh produce in the refrigerator. Good point about flour and people returning to baking. I also bake all our bread and was lucky to not run out of flour this spring.

Tradd
8-12-20, 8:32am
The yeast is gone from our stores. I am thankful each loaf takes 1/4 teaspoon and I have a jar. Probably should share some of it so it does not go bad.

Why don't you transfer part of it to another container and freeze it?

Tradd
8-12-20, 8:38am
I eat a lot more frozen veggies than I do fresh. I really wish I had a small freezer now. Years ago I thought about getting the smallest chest freezer possible to put in a corner of my kitchen, but I never did it. I have a small fridge and freezer on top. It's packed full right now. I have a partial bag of frozen chicken breasts, some hamburger patties, some pork chops, and a few bags of frozen fruit. I love fruit with my yogurt. The frozen fruit has been scarce at times, so I bought three bags. I'm eating off of one right now.

I don't bake, except for cherry scones at Christmas time for gifts or for church bake sale fundraiser. I don't think the latter is going to happen this year, and I don't bake every year for gifts.

I don't have a lot of storage space. The paper goods generally go under my bed, but I may need to shift things around. I have a full width shelf in the closet where my washer and dryer are. I could put the smaller packages of paper goods up there, although it's a bit of a reach for me. I can put some things in my bedroom walk in closet, as well.

SteveinMN
8-12-20, 10:10am
Paper towels, toilet paper, hand sanitizer (a distillery near our house sells it in bulk). A run to an international foods store to pick up the items I use that I can't get at our usual markets. Already have been restocking the pantry with canned meat and some other staples. DW makes our laundry detergent so maybe make sure we have enough raw materials for that.

Which reminds me that I probably should get another box of dishwasher detergent because I'm particular about the one I like. Actually, aside from stocking items which will likely run short if things get notably worse (like hand sanitizer), a lot of our stocking up is so that we have the items we want on hand. We live three blocks from a decent-sized supermarket and a short drive to several more and some pharmacies. Short of a blizzard or an ice storm, it's not onerous to get what we need. But getting what we want can be a bigger deal, so why not address the non-perishable wants now, while it's easier?

Tradd
8-12-20, 10:16am
Steve, good point.

catherine
8-12-20, 10:38am
I haven't even thought about it, frankly. I have loads of TP, and I typically stock up on Costco cases of diced tomatoes and beans and chicken stock, because I use a lot of those things, but because of my space limitations, I'm a bit of a "live for today" kind of person. I would like to stock up on dried herbs from the fresh ones I grow all summer, and I'm hoping to have enough tomatoes from the garden to be able to dice them up and freeze them in ziploc bags.

I will also stock up on wood for the wood stove. We plan on getting a cord in a couple of weeks.

rosarugosa
8-12-20, 7:41pm
Are you implying that I might need to stock up on something else in addition to my 110 rolls of toilet paper?

Tradd
8-12-20, 7:46pm
Are you implying that I might need to stock up on something else in addition to my 110 rolls of toilet paper?

:devil:

Tradd
8-12-20, 8:52pm
32 rolls of TP being delivered tomorrow. Got 500 tea bags today. Love my Twining's English Breakfast and Red Roobios. Have to have tea!

happystuff
8-13-20, 7:27am

I was just going to ask what the quantities were that folks were stocking up on. LOL. For example, 3-4 person household and I already have two - 20 packs of TP. Contemplating getting one more. I've just never calculated our actual TP usage.

Have about 15 cans of tuna, which normally last 4-5 months - unless someone in the house goes on a "tuna kick".

catherine
8-13-20, 8:39am
Have about 15 cans of tuna, which normally last 4-5 months - unless someone in the house goes on a "tuna kick".

IMHO you really can't have too much tuna. My DH commented on the fact that in our very wee pantry I have a stack of tuna cans that looks like the Shanghai Tower next to all the other cans.

You can do tuna salad plates, tuna melts, basic tuna sandwiches, tuna noodle casserole--the options are endless.

Alan
8-13-20, 8:44am
You can do tuna salad plates, tuna melts, basic tuna sandwiches, tuna noodle casserole--the options are endless.
And just like Bubba Gump Shrimp Company, the seeds of a new enterprise are born. :D

JaneV2.0
8-13-20, 9:22am
I've stocked up on marinated artichoke hearts and Spanish peanuts, among other things. You can just never have enough. :)

happystuff
8-13-20, 10:13am
I tend to only stock up on things as they are on sale - except TP which NEVER seems to be on sale any more. My grocery store has a "limit 4" at time of purchase, so for really good deals, I'm back to the store a couple times during a good sale. I'm starting to think the "needs" are pretty well stocked, but a few of the "wants" may need to be addressed, like jars of roasted red peppers. LOL.

Most of my food stock-up is also either canned or dried for shelf storage. The only freezer I have is the one on the fridge. Gave one up the time we lost power and lost most of the food in the mini-freezer, along with the regular freezer/fridge.

Interesting thread. I appreciate all the input.

Rogar
8-13-20, 12:48pm
Since I've been unable to find bakers yeast at the store for the last two months I decided to check out Amazon. There were several sellers offering my usual 4 oz. jar of Fleischmanns at a going rate of about $13.00. I can't recall what I have paid at the store, but that seems like scalping to me. I ordered a one pound vaccuum pack of Red Star for $10.00 although I doubt I could ever use that much before it expires.

frugal-one
8-13-20, 12:58pm
I've stocked up on marinated artichoke hearts and Spanish peanuts, among other things. You can just never have enough. :)

hmmmm.. What do you do with marinated artichoke hearts? salads?

Tradd
8-13-20, 12:58pm
Since I've been unable to find bakers yeast at the store for the last two months I decided to check out Amazon. There were several sellers offering my usual 4 oz. jar of Fleischmanns at a going rate of about $13.00. I can't recall what I have paid at the store, but that seems like scalping to me. I ordered a one pound vaccuum pack of Red Star for $10.00 although I doubt I could ever use that much before it expires.

Rogar, freeze it! I used to split the large packs with friends when I used to bake a lot of communion bread for church. I just kept a bit for current use in a jar in the fridge.

Tradd
8-13-20, 1:36pm
I remembered razors, so I ordered those from Amazon. I know what I would pay for stuff at Walmart/Target. Got another blanket for my bed.

Tradd
8-13-20, 1:42pm
I was just going to ask what the quantities were that folks were stocking up on. LOL. For example, 3-4 person household and I already have two - 20 packs of TP. Contemplating getting one more. I've just never calculated our actual TP usage.

40 rolls of TP for 3-4 people? Heck, no! I'd double that at least. I'm probably going to have double that myself. And I live alone!

early morning
8-13-20, 1:52pm
You can do tuna salad plates, tuna melts, basic tuna sandwiches, tuna noodle casserole--the options are endless. lol. Our cats would love you! Here, canned tuna is only for cat food - I detest the stuff. Why, I don't know - just can't stand the taste and smell, although I love tinned salmon. And I like fresh tuna. Taste is weird, isn't it? But we have stocked up a bit on canned goods, my pantry area is very small, and it's full. I have TP, fresh veggies, and pet food by subscription, so hopefully will not run out of those regardless. Also have the freezer stocked, and hope for NOT having a power failure. We've discussed getting a small generator mainly because of the freezer, but don't know if it's worth the price - the freezer isn't stocked with steak and lobster. And not sure how we'd vent it, etc. What bothers me the most is lack of a heat source in a power outage. It seems silly to put in a wood stove "just in case", really. May look into a small kerosene heater.

JaneV2.0
8-13-20, 2:30pm
hmmmm.. What do you do with marinated artichoke hearts? salads?

Salads, dips, savory dishes, pizza, and I often just eat them as is, maybe as part of a charcuterie plate.

herbgeek
8-13-20, 3:22pm
I ordered a one pound vaccuum pack of Red Star for $10.00 although I doubt I could ever use that much before it expires.
Agree with Tradd, freeze it. I buy RedStar instant yeast by the pound from King Arthur Baking Company and it takes me 12-18 months to use it up typically, and I see no degradation in my bread when the yeast is older.

SiouzQ.
8-13-20, 3:39pm
We already got our two cords of wood for the winter; same price as last year, and THEY STACK IT for us! Last year we bought two cords (not having any idea how much we would actually need) and it worked out very good. We still had some left over at the end of winter. As I recall we started building fires in mid-to-late October.

We have barely gone into the stash of food K. stocked up on in the early spring right before the lock down. We should probably go through and see what we need to get to round it out at some point. There are a LOT of cans of soup left!

Tradd
8-13-20, 6:20pm
SiouxQ - bet the wood being stacked saves you a ton of time!

I think I'm pretty much good for the majority stuff. I'm giving up on keto, just too hard with the stuff going on. Too expensive, too! I want to get a bunch of canned tomatoes, corn, and black beans for the soup I make. Quick and easy. I'll either do Aldi or Walmart pickup for that.

rosarugosa
8-13-20, 7:09pm
Tradd - canned tomatoes are a good idea. For some reason, I needed to buy a lot of Teddie peanut butter since the pandemic started. I will probably stock up a bit more of that.

Tradd
8-13-20, 7:18pm
Tradd - canned tomatoes are a good idea. For some reason, I needed to buy a lot of Teddie peanut butter since the pandemic started. I will probably stock up a bit more of that.

Did a Walmart pickup order for tomorrow. You can only get 6 of each, but I got around that a bit by getting several different types.

Got another order from Walmart online today. I'm now stashing canned goods under my bed, as there is no more room in the cabinets!

rosarugosa
8-15-20, 6:26am
I do think I'm going to order another box or two of the disposable procedure masks from Costco. We have some reusable cloth masks and they are fine for some scenarios, but the disposables are more comfortable and don't muffle speech as much, so they are better for other scenarios.

catherine
8-15-20, 7:21am
I do think I'm going to order another box or two of the disposable procedure masks from Costco. We have some reusable cloth masks and they are fine for some scenarios, but the disposables are more comfortable and don't muffle speech as much, so they are better for other scenarios.

I bought those at Costco in July, and I use them exclusively. They are SO much more comfortable--especially in the summer.

JaneV2.0
8-15-20, 12:47pm
I like well-made masks with nosepieces, filter pockets, and ear adjusters. The latest I've found are from the felicitously-named Beau-Ties of Vermont: https://www.beautiesltd.com/collections/face-masks

rosarugosa
8-15-20, 2:35pm
I like well-made masks with nosepieces, filter pockets, and ear adjusters. The latest I've found are from the felicitously-named Beau-Ties of Vermont: https://www.beautiesltd.com/collections/face-masks

Kind of funny that most of my cloth masks are from Los Angeles and you are getting them from VT!

JaneV2.0
8-15-20, 5:15pm
Kind of funny that most of my cloth masks are from Los Angeles and you are getting them from VT!

The others I bought were from Portland. Let's hear if for the USPS!

happystuff
8-15-20, 7:15pm
Posted in another thread that my bil just redid my pantry with more and deeper shelves. Once I get everything back into it, I will have a better idea of an inventory. Yay!!!

NewGig
8-16-20, 9:27am
We were stocked a bit when things went nutty here. Between prepping for retirement and frugal practices, I tend to buy more than what I need for 2 weeks. I had deliberately bought soap and paper stuff anticipating DH’s retirement. Except for running out of lunch bags we had enough and I could anticipate when we’d run out. My idea was to buy in advance things which don’t go bad, to spend the $ when I still had it, and make things easier when I didn’t. Then covid happened....

Much of my backstock is gone. Some of it I’ve managed to replace, some I haven't. My pantry was always planned for two weeks’ of food during winter, to eliminate trips out. That worked to our advantage. But my cushion is gone now.

happystuff
8-19-20, 12:12pm
40 rolls of TP for 3-4 people? Heck, no! I'd double that at least. I'm probably going to have double that myself. And I live alone!

Just got back from the grocery store and it was one of my biggest bills ever!! But... I stocked up. Remembered your comment, Tradd, and bought a 30-pack bundle of tp. (there were no 20-packs - lol.)

JaneV2.0
8-19-20, 1:08pm
I'm slowly building a stock of non-perishables--a lot of spices, soup bases, rice, canned staples, a new set of pantry shelves, art supplies--that kind of thing.

Tradd
8-19-20, 1:15pm
Just got back from the grocery store and it was one of my biggest bills ever!! But... I stocked up. Remembered your comment, Tradd, and bought a 30-pack bundle of tp. (there were no 20-packs - lol.)

Good for you! :)

early morning
8-19-20, 2:28pm
I like to be stocked up but we don't eat a lot of canned stuff, which makes it harder. My freezer is full, but that could evaporate with an extended power outage. I have a fair amount of back-up canned goods that we will use/eat if fresh isn't available and am adding to that each time we shop. However, we are really watching carbs so stocking up on pasta, dried beans, and rice - (my cheap go-to items when the kids were little and we had almost no money) is a no-go. I have a little veggie pasta in the pantry but that stuff's expensive! I do subscribe to Mis-fit Markets for produce, which helps - as long as they get supplies. I subscribe to Who Gives a Crap for TP (Thanks for that tip, Catherine!!) - 48 rolls comes automatically every few months, well before we run too low. They didn't run short for subscribers last time, so barring a huge system melt down, I don't think that will be a problem. We're on city water, and I would have a water-heater's worth in storage at all times, lol. I also try to keep some large plastic jugs full in the basement, which reminds me that I need to drain/rinse refill those! I need some water purification tablets too. I have bleach, but - blech!!!

Yppej
8-20-20, 5:14pm
I went to Sephora and stocked up on things I use. Some of the little makeup I wear I can get at Walmart, but other stuff not. I do not like to order online unless I am getting along with my son and he will keep an eye out for packages. The receiving department at work is poorly run, and family in the area have a weird address and deliveries there often get messed up. So if brick and mortar stores close again it will impact me "bigly", to quote our president.

Tradd
8-20-20, 5:34pm
Depending on what you’re ordering, Amazon might have a pickup box option. They give you a code to open it. Very secure. You have 3 days after arrival to pick up. I’ve used it myself before I was home all the time. It gives you the option when you’re picking up. The boxes I use are at a 24 hour gas station. Bank of boxes, like lockers, outside.

JaneV2.0
8-20-20, 5:40pm
Depending on what you’re ordering, Amazon might have a pickup box option. They give you a code to open it. Very secure. You have 3 days after arrival to pick up. I’ve used it myself before I was home all the time. It gives you the option when you’re picking up. The boxes I use are at a 24 hour gas station. Bank of boxes, like lockers, outside.

I've used those a few times; pretty neat.

Since I'm home, and since Amazon is wonderfully transparent with its service, ("Your delivery is four stops away..." with a map showing progress) I'm not worried about porch pirates. UPS, with their annoying nighttime delivery, is another story, but I try to avoid those.

Tradd
8-20-20, 6:19pm
Sorry I meant it gives you the option when you’re checking out.

hana
8-21-20, 7:40pm
Thanks to a miscommunication with nephews, the strategic toilet paper reserves are probably good for 12-18 months.

Picking up a few extra cans of vegetables and soup when we do the usual grocery shopping. Going to the ethnic grocery store to stock up on rice, lentils, and quinoa later this week. Weekend project is do an inventory and see where we need to pick up a few extra things.

pinkytoe
8-23-20, 10:50am
Watching the news lately (fires in CA and CO, drought all over the West, derecho in the Midwest) - makes me realize how important it may be in the future to grow our own foods when we can. I am stocking up on seeds.

iris lilies
8-23-20, 11:00am
I am putting away, in the freezer, tomatoes and a bumper crop of green beans. I am pitching armloads of cucumbers and zuchiini. We are already eating winter squash. I suppose DH will cook and freeze those, but I i will not bother with them.

Teacher Terry
8-23-20, 12:14pm
IL, doesn’t your local shelters take food? That’s what we do.

iris lilies
8-23-20, 1:32pm
IL, doesn’t your local shelters take food? That’s what we do.
I have no idea. I don’t really want to get into that whole business and interaction with them. I doubt their clientele want garden vegetables anyway.

There has been effort to find a home for excess community garden produce over the years and it never seems to go anywhere. If somebody would establish a successful path for transfer, I might participate, But I will not set it up. We gave away a fair amount of stuff to our friends but it’s still 60 cucumbers from our garden. 30 zucchini.

iris lilies
8-23-20, 1:34pm
I have no idea. I don’t really want to get into that whole business and interaction with them. I doubt their clientele want garden vegetables anyway.

There has been effort to find a home for excess community garden produce over the years and it never seems to go anywhere. If somebody would establish a successful path for transfer, I might participate, But I will not set it up. We gave away a fair amount of stuff to our friends but it’s still 60 cucumbers from our garden. 30 zucchini.

I have a gallon of homegrown organic red grapes to give away and I never found a home for them after advertising on Nextdoor but in my immediate neighborhood and then in the nearby neighborhood. That announcement went to thousands of people. I have limited time I’m going to shop this produce around.

JaneV2.0
8-23-20, 2:30pm
I'm sad about your cucumbers; the zucchini, not so much.

Teacher Terry
8-23-20, 3:27pm
I drive all our fruit and produce to a local shelter and hand it to them. They are happy to get it. No fuss no muss. I find it amusing that you think you know what their clients will or will not eat.

SteveinMN
8-23-20, 6:44pm
I drive all our fruit and produce to a local shelter and hand it to them. They are happy to get it.
Around here there is so much demand for fresh produce that the food bank grows some of its own (https://www.2harvest.org/content_types/blog-posts/hydroponic-farming-an.html).

happystuff
8-23-20, 8:32pm
Too bad none of you are in my area. Not only would i take some but I know many other takers as well. I hate wasting food... sigh

bae
8-23-20, 8:43pm
Chainsaw bar oil
Spare chain for chainsaw
Plastic sheeting, heavy duty tape
Propane cylinders all refilled
Batteries for lanterns
Port

iris lilies
8-24-20, 9:32am
Around here there is so much demand for fresh produce that the food bank grows some of its own (https://www.2harvest.org/content_types/blog-posts/hydroponic-farming-an.html).
Exactly what fresh produce do they want? I skimmed the article. It talks about leafy greens. Well that’s not what we have to give away. I suspect but do not know for sure that excess cucumbers and the ubiquitous zucchini are as welcome to food banks as orange daylilies are to garden giveaways.

happystuff
8-24-20, 9:49am
I suspect but do not know for sure that excess cucumbers and the ubiquitous zucchini are as welcome to food banks as orange daylilies are to garden giveaways.

What's the harm in asking someone actually at the food bank?

SteveinMN
8-24-20, 10:11am
Exactly what fresh produce do they want?
My understanding is that they chose leafy greens both because of the demand and because some of them have notoriously short shelf lives. They would not have gone to the trouble and expense of setting this up if they were only going to compost the results because no one wanted it.

This same food bank also does what are informally called "produce drops". They set up what is essentially a pop-up greens market in a food-desert part of town. Local recipients of food assistance are invited to attend. Many come by foot, bringing along the family. There are pallets of fruits and vegetables, some direct from farmers who work with the food bank and some "gleaned" from local supermarkets. Clients get to choose the produce they want, up to quantity limits determined by the size of their household (and, sometimes, by demand for a limited quantity of something).

I've worked these before. It is typical to clear four to six tons of produce in one afternoon. Damaged produce aside, none of it comes back on the truck. If nothing else, what remains is left at the site with a sign indicating it is free for anyone who wants it.

I suspect the demand for produce is regional, with some foods more popular than others. We have a lot of southeast Asians and eastern Africans in the metro; leafy greens are popular in those kitchens, more so than I'm aware of in, say, Mexican or Russian cooking (to pick two other cultural groups with some representation here). No idea why people in eastern Missouri don't want cucumbers and zucchini. I'd bet they "sell" here. But that would be a bit of a drive. :)

iris lilies
8-24-20, 10:24am
What's the harm in asking someone actually at the food bank?

you all do the work for me and i will drive the foodstuff to “the food bank” (of which there are many.)

Find a food bank within or contiguous to zip code 63104 that takes zuchiini and cukes —those very specific veggies—and that has convenient hours, although I can be flexible about this latter requirement.

Please know, I have 0 interest in researching this because I have been thru do gooder efforts so many many times over the years, those wailing about “food insecurity” but all Their efforts to distribute excess produce comes to naught. I am, not spending my life energy to shop these veggies around.
I am happy to donate veggies, just not happy to play the communication games.

let me know when and where I should deliver them.

iris lilies
8-24-20, 10:36am
I'm sad about your cucumbers; the zucchini, not so much.You need to be sad about those organic red grapes, ones we salvaged from the critters. I ate a fair amount, but still we had in the end 2 gallons. Gone now, they go fast, no takers on Nextdoor in one entire zip code.

someone did contact me yesterday, but too late, grapes over.

happystuff
8-24-20, 10:48am
you all do the work for me and i will drive the foodstuff to “the food bank” (of which there are many.)

Find a food bank within or contiguous to zip code 63104 that takes zuchiini and cukes —those very specific veggies—and that has convenient hours, although I can be flexible about this latter requirement.

Prophecy MB Church
2157 South Jefferson
314-932-5840
You can go tomorrow from 10am - 5pm. The gentleman said they would take what they need and then distribute the rest.

Still waiting for a couple other places to open.

Isaiah 58 Ministries
2149 South Grand
314-776-1410
They are actually closed for maintenance until the 31st, but if garden is still producing an abundance, a quick call next week might be worth it.

Tradd
8-24-20, 11:09am
Dang, happy! :)

Teacher Terry
8-24-20, 12:37pm
You are awesome Happy! I totally don’t understand making no effort to help others versus throwing it away. My sister is like that and I don’t understand it at all.

iris lilies
8-24-20, 12:50pm
You are awesome Happy! I totally don’t understand making no effort to help others versus throwing it away. My sister is like that and I don’t understand it at all.
You assume I have “made no effort.” You have no idea of the endless conversations I have had to sit thru over the years about excess produce.And excess iris. Proposed solutions! All of which take up my own time. Make no mistake I like giving things away. I will not give out my life energy on fruitlessly Pursuing avenues to get rid of the stuff.

But thanks to Happy stuff, I can just drop off the current load of zucchini and cukes. That church on Jefferson is very close to me. Thank you!

frugal-one
8-24-20, 1:30pm
You need to be sad about those organic red grapes, ones we salvaged from the critters. I ate a fair amount, but still we had in the end 2 gallons. Gone now, they go fast, no takers on Nextdoor in one entire zip code.

someone did contact me yesterday, but too late, grapes over.

Did you freeze some. They are wonderful eaten frozen, especially when it is hot out.

happystuff
8-24-20, 2:53pm
That church on Jefferson is very close to me. Thank you!

You are welcome. :)

pinkytoe
8-24-20, 3:05pm
IL, I am wondering why you/DH plant so many if you don't want to eat the excess. Pickles?? But then, I've wondered that about my own food garden efforts. Right now, I have so many SunGold tomatoes that I don't know what to do with them and that is only three plants.

happystuff
8-24-20, 3:19pm
This last place actually took the time and effort for a long distance call-back! What wonderful organizations you have in the 63104 area!

Southside Wellness Center
3017 Park Ave
314-664-5024
They are open M-F from 10am-3pm and drop-off can be anytime. Sweet woman who said they would love to be able to distribute any extras!

Edited to add:

IL, if you want the names of the people I contacted, I can message you privately. I'm not comfortable posting individual names on the public forum. But, actually, there aren't really that many.

iris lilies
8-24-20, 3:29pm
IL, I am wondering why you/DH plant so many if you don't want to eat the excess. Pickles?? But then, I've wondered that about my own food garden efforts. Right now, I have so many SunGold tomatoes that I don't know what to do with them and that is only three plants.

I have no control over how much is planted. It is not my jam.

To be fair to DH, and you as a gardener know this, none of us can predict how the crops will be each year. Some years excess zucchini and cukes, other years not so much.

This was our kitchen counter two weeks ago, before winter squash, apples, and the last gallon of green beans were harvested. Only this year hardly any apples will come to fruition so that is a good thing.

...photo to follow?

SteveinMN
8-24-20, 4:41pm
none of us can predict how the crops will be each year. Some years excess zucchini and cukes, other years not so much.
My next-door neighbor, whom I have watched tend a garden for the 18 years I have lived here, swears every late summer he will plant less next spring. Quite often he does; his cultivated space now is maybe one-third to one-half of what it was and he still has more cucumbers, tomatoes, and collard greens than he and his wife can eat and fob off on the neighbors. I'm sure if he ever planted just the three cucumber seeds he threatens to plant there would be a total crop failure that year....

happystuff
8-24-20, 5:36pm

Do you have a dehydrator? That is what I will be doing with my excess.

iris lilies
8-24-20, 7:10pm
You are welcome. :)

I drove to the MB Church on Jefferson with the vegetables this afternoon. When I got there it was a vacant lot. There’s no church or food pantry there. And then I remembered oh yeah, that church fell in on itself a year or two ago. Its walls collapsed.

The church congregation is apparently operating a food pantry from somewhere, but not from any structure at 2157 South Jefferson.

But since it was a nice day for a top down ride, I had vegetables in the car that you all are terribly concerned about, and I am retired and apparently have nothing better to do than drive vegetables around south city, I drove over in the opposite direction to the Wellness center on Park Avenue, which also is not far away from my house. Fortunately that building existed. They buzzEd me in so I was able to drop my bags of vegetables on the table. A woman from back of the room cheerily thanked me very much.

Mission accomplished.

Teacher Terry
8-24-20, 7:13pm
We applaud your efforts IL!!!! After all this is a frugal forum:))

happystuff
8-24-20, 7:13pm
I drove to the MB Church on Jefferson with the vegetables this afternoon. When I got there it was a vacant lot. There’s no church or food pantry there. And then I remembered oh yeah, that church fell in on itself a year or two ago. Its walls collapsed.

The church congregation is apparently operating a food pantry from somewhere, but not from any structure at 2157 South Jefferson.

But since it was a nice day for a top down ride, I had vegetables in the car that you all are terribly concerned about, and I am retired and apparently have nothing better to do than drive vegetables around south city, I drove over to the Wellness center on Park Avenue which also is not far away. Fortunately that building existed. They buzzEd me in so I was able to drop my bags of vegetables on the table. A woman from back of the room cheerily thanked me very much.

Mission accomplished.

Well, the phone number listed got me to a live person. Just a matter of asking for the new address.

Glad the veggies found a home!!!

iris lilies
8-24-20, 8:24pm
Well, the phone number listed got me to a live person. Just a matter of asking for the new address.

Glad the veggies found a home!!!
If you mean by “ just a matter of [Iris] asking for the new address” why yes
I could have driven home. Made a call. (I don’t usually carry a cell phone.) Perhaps received an answer? Or not. Perhaps found they were operating in 63104 or a contiguous location. Or not. You’re right, I could’ve “just” done all of that.

But see, I already told you I didn’t want to mess with the communication part. I already spend too much of my life energy trying to offload stuff. You dont think my time has value and you're welcome to that opinion, but I know otherwise.

Anyway, with your help I identified a place that will take excess produce the next time I have some.

happystuff
8-24-20, 8:37pm
If you mean by “ just a matter of [Iris] asking for the new address” why yes
I could have driven home. Made a call. (I don’t usually carry a cell phone.) Perhaps received an answer? Or not. Perhaps found they were operating in 63104 or a contiguous location. Or not. You’re right, I could’ve “just” done all of that.

But see, I already told you I didn’t want to mess with the communication part. I already spend too much of my life energy trying to offload stuff. You dont think my time has value and you're welcome to that opinion, but I know otherwise.

Anyway, with your help I identified a place that will take excess produce the next time I have some.

LOL - yeah, right. Can't have you straining yourself any more than you already have. Glad you were able to identify, with my help, a place to take future excess produce next time. ;)

Tammy
8-24-20, 11:02pm
I think the problem here is that IrisLilies is trying to offload produce that is in the realm of her husband’s activities. He’s the bad guy. 😄

happystuff
8-25-20, 6:48am
I think the problem here is that IrisLilies is trying to offload produce that is in the realm of her husband’s activities. He’s the bad guy. ��

Based on the end results, there are no "bad guys". Food was not purposely/intentionally wasted and - more importantly - people who needed food, got it. I call that a pretty good win. :)

iris lilies
8-25-20, 9:31am
We have no idea if this the zucchini is actually eaten. I think it odd and frankly silly, the general obsession people have with food products. It’s the same obsession the Iris society has with iris rhizomes. Same with books. They all reproduce like rabbits.

I set boundaries on how much of my own time I spent fussing with these things.

My values say there’s nothing wrong with sending iris rhizomes and zucchini and cucumber and squash and whatever back into the compost bin. Books are harder to get rid of and I’m facing the disposal of 600 to 800 bucks in the next 12 months. That is a different conversation.

Anyone who reads my posts over the years know that I make a really good effort to share and give away iris rhizomes that are as big and showy as anything Mid America Gardens sells for $10 each. But I do it on my schedule because my time has value.

catherine
8-25-20, 9:55am
My values said if there’s nothing wrong with sending iris rhizomes and zucchini and cucumber and squash and whatever back into the compost bin. Books are harder to get rid of and I’m facing the disposal of 600 to 800 bucks in the next 12 months. That is a different conversation.

Anyone who reads my post over the years know that I make a really good effort to share and give away iris rhizomes that are as big and showy as anything Mid America Gardens sells for $10 each. But I do it on my schedule because my time has value.

I agree that turning unused food into the compost heap is not a bad option. Far better than the huge amounts of food that gets turned into black plastic bags and thrown into the landfill.

On the same subject, but not meant to shame IL for her horticultural abundance, interestingly FOOD WASTE is one of the biggest targets for reducing CO2 emissions/addressing climate change, according to Project Drawdown.

https://www.drawdown.org/solutions/reduced-food-waste

ConnieVarricchio
8-25-20, 10:07am
Where there are gardens there is excess - and this is a good thing. It does take time and effort to create these goodies and Nothing is ever really wasted - unless as someone stated it ends up in a plastic bag somewhere. Does anyone find anything wrong with driving the excess down a country road and distributing it on a bank somewhere? Or in a field? What are your thoughts on this practice? I havent needed to do that as I get my veggies and such from my dad. He grows the garden and he always has extra so there is no need for me to grow one. He would have one less person to give his excess to if i grew my own. Back when i was a kid, we had a 50 acre farm and we would take the extra and feed it to the chickens, ducks, whatever we had at the time and if there was any left over we took it to the edge of the swamp and distributed it thinking we were helping the animals should they be hungry and if not, it would compost back to the earth from whence it came. Sounds like a good practice to me. The worms probably really appreciated it. :)

furrfox
8-26-20, 5:11am
I've finally didn't forget to buy heated waterer for chickens (https://www.backyardstyle.com/best-heated-chicken-waterer/#product5). It will come handy in the winter.

NewGig
8-31-20, 8:04pm
We have started the transition to winter. Part of that is baking supplies. We do NOT bake bread in summer; we buy it instead. But from roughly Sept 1 to May 15, we bake our own. We have enough flour to last for a couple of weeks, but beyond that, no. Years gone by, this wasn't an issue. I may have to change what I do.

I am seriously thinking about buying a large quantity of "stew" vegetables this year, so I don't have to go out, whether there's a shortage, or not. I dismantled the two "root cellar" boxes I had last year, they only sort of worked, and that's been true since I started that, 3 years ago or so. No root cellar boxes this year I don't think, but I don't have an alternative, except frozen food...

We used up the back stock canned goods, soaps, shelf-stable pantry goods, paper products, etc. in lockdown. I have enough for right now. How much to buy ahead is a question I haven't really decided.

Tradd
8-31-20, 8:13pm
Ran to Target at lunch to get some stuff. I’d not been inside a Target or Walmart for at least a month. No paper towels to be had. TP was limited to one pack per customer. I got a big 20 roll pack and that’s it for me. Got some Tide, garbage bags, microfiber cleaning cloths to extend my paper towel supply, Dawn, bleach (use it on bathtub area grout for mold), and two gallons of vinegar. Got another spray bottle to use with vinegar/water for glass cleaning. I’ve not seen Windex in months.

Tybee
8-31-20, 8:20pm
We have been buying tp one roll at a time at Menards for 49 cents. It's satisfying to just grab a few rolls whenever we are there.

Bought some soap yesterday. I find I want to stock up less, rather than more, since it unnerved me to stock up so extensively during the pandemic. I was happy that we used it all up.

iris lilies
9-1-20, 1:06am
In the continuing saga of excess garden produce, I carefully dug, Trimmed, labeled, bagged, and transported 25 iris rhizomes from Hermann to the city. A random person who contacted our iris Society thru Facebook was heartbroken our Iris Society was not holding our annual sale this year due to Covid, so I felt sorry for her and agreed to give her some of my extras.

I always have iris rhizomes to give away, but the different thing about this deal is that I dont track varieties or bag them,
i usually just put them in a pile and say on
nextdoor “come and get them.” This took my time. I don’t like spending much of my time on Spare rhizomes, but I value them more than zucchini so there ya go.

As I stated above, I do not want to communicate with these people excessively because they annoy me, so I prepared a bucket with her name on it, put it on my front porch. She works, as it turns out, less than 1 mile from my city house. Yeah, that was Saturday afternoon.tick tick tick...Sunday...tick tick tick...Monday...Rhizomes still sitting on my front porch.

so this chick is getting $150 worth of named varieties for free. And she can’t be bothered to pick them up.

This happened with grapes – I had grapes to give away somebody said he would come and get them. He never came. Same thing with chairs in my house – someone advertiseD for this kind of chair, she was excited and said she would come. She did not come. That was two weeks ago. Tried to give away cake pans – the person who said he would come and get them never did.

These people are very annoying.

Yppej
9-1-20, 4:45am
I am also not finding paper towels to stock up, only single rolls, no multipacks. But my area has toilet paper.

Tradd
9-1-20, 5:04am
The regular grocery store had plenty of paper towels and toilet paper, but not the Target a 1/4 mile down the road.

I just doubted the TP under my bed. 108 rolls. That doesn’t count the partial pack in the bathroom. I’m set for a while!

Only 10 rolls of paper towels. I mostly use them for cleaning certain areas, such as under the toilet seat, or the occasional very messy jobs.

rosarugosa
9-1-20, 5:59am
IL: That is very frustrating! I've only had one person flake on me when giving things way on my FB giving group. It was a pile of magazines and I ended up giving them to a neighbor yesterday, who seemed glad to have them.

Yppej
9-1-20, 5:59am
I just doubted the TP under my bed. 108 rolls.

Believe in your math skills.

Tradd
9-1-20, 8:54am
Believe in your math skills.

COUNTED, not doubted! Stupid phone!

citrine
9-1-20, 12:38pm
We are stocking up on everything...buy a little extra every week. I am also cooking in bulk and freezing the extra. The shelves are getting to be bare at the local Smiths every week by Fri.

Teacher Terry
9-1-20, 12:46pm
Wow IL I never have that many people flake on me.

iris lilies
9-1-20, 2:03pm
Wow IL I never have that many people flake on me.
Due to the many years of flakiness I learn how to deal with the no-shows.

Twice a year I set out big piles of Iris and other plants. . They are trimmed and they’re ready to plant. I’ve gone to that amount of work for iris plants because I’ve learned people are stupid and they don’t know how to plant iris. So at least I will give these iris plants a good start in life by Trimming them appropriately.

So my method after years of dealing with people is to put iris outside by my garage in the alley. I put a notice on Nextdoor “come and get them.” My intent is to do no more communication because my time has value. If no one wants the iris that’s perfectly OK, and after a reasonable time of a week or so I will transfer them to the compost dumpster.

But everyone expects me to answer questions such as “are there any iris left? Are there any purple Iris there? Do you know the names of the Iris you’re giving away? I can’t come this week but can you save me some because I’m out of town? “ I hate these questions And I don’t get paid to answer them. If these people want that kind of Iris service they can go to mid America Gardens or schreiner’s. And there they pay $10 per rhizome and up.

I get increasingly tired of dealing with these people. I set my boundaries about communications. I’m perfectly happy to give away product but I will not give away my time. My time is the thing that has value.

But of course this year as I do every year I cross that boundary and I do a special favor for someone and regret it. And it is seldom appreciated. I will have to communicate with Iris girl who for whom I dug and marked $150 Worth of iris to say hey lady, I still have this Iris for you and in a week I will give it awayif you don’t get it.

And I’m sure my note will sound bitchy to her, but it just is laying out the conditions for which I will continue to hold this crap for her.

I regret doing this work. I shouldn’t of done it and I know better.

nswef
9-1-20, 5:13pm
Iris, I admire your system. Now you know to NOT EVER do what you gave in to do this time. Probably a good lesson to keep in your head next time you think, 'Oh isn't it lovely that she wants them..."

Tradd
9-7-20, 2:42pm
Local chain grocery store had Progresso soup on sale for 2/$4. Got a bunch since I regularly eat it.

Tybee
9-7-20, 5:24pm
Local chain grocery store had Progresso soup on sale for 2/$4. Got a bunch since I regularly eat it.

Tradd, I just bought Progesso soup at Menards last week for 1.59 a can, worth checking.

Tradd
9-7-20, 6:17pm
Tradd, I just bought Progesso soup at Menards last week for 1.59 a can, worth checking.

I rarely go to Menards, but I will definitely check that out. Thanks!

Yppej
9-7-20, 6:45pm
Saw on the news protesters in Portland are throwing cans of soup at police, maybe another reason I can't find the soup I like.

JaneV2.0
9-8-20, 10:32am
Saw on the news protesters in Portland are throwing cans of soup at police, maybe another reason I can't find the soup I like.

Isn't that a Fox News urban legend? I hear Trump promoting it, so there's likely no truth to it.

Yppej
9-8-20, 2:21pm
Jane I saw it on either ABC or NBC nightly news, not Fox.

Alan
9-8-20, 3:22pm
Jane I saw it on either ABC or NBC nightly news, not Fox.I'm glad to hear it can't be an urban legend since some outlet other than Fox reported it, although I'm thinking this whole thing may be Quentin Tarantino's fault. In Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, Brad Pitt's character took out a Manson family member with a thrown can. I'm sure peaceful protesters wouldn't dream of such a thing without being forced by outside agitators. ;)

frugal-one
9-8-20, 3:28pm
I'm glad to hear it can't be an urban legend since some outlet rather than Fox reported it, although I'm thinking this whole thing may be Quentin Tarantino's fault. In Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, Brad Pitt's character took out a Manson family member with a thrown can. I'm sure peaceful protesters wouldn't dream of such a thing without being forced by outside agitators. ;)

You are probably right... hehe.

JaneV2.0
9-8-20, 5:12pm
One troublemaker (from who-knows-what side) probably threw a can at someone, and now we're to believe it's a thing. Yawn.

Alan
9-8-20, 5:20pm
One troublemaker (from who-knows-what side) probably threw a can at someone, and now we're to believe it's a thing. Yawn.
I'd think it's more aerodynamic than a brick, plus, it's lunch. You can heat the contents over the remains of a burning business or police station, whichever's closest.

JaneV2.0
9-8-20, 6:16pm
You're so practical, Alan.
:idea:

iris lilies
9-8-20, 6:49pm
Alan is The Man!

Alan
9-8-20, 6:59pm

Alan is The Man!
Okay, I'm now stocked up for the fall. Everyone please carry on and I'll get back with you in December for my winter ego boost.

happystuff
11-5-20, 10:29am
Kind of laxed off in this area for a bit in an effort to save some money on groceries. Grains and beans are well-stocked right now, but will look at picking up a few more canned goods and seeing what fruits and veggies are in season/on sale for drying.

Teacher Terry
11-5-20, 11:27am
I put 6lbs of hamburger on the list that was 94% lean and he came home with 2.8. I bought the same from Walmart and it still had a bunch of grease. I will check Winco again next week.

frugal-one
11-5-20, 5:59pm
Freezers and cupboards are full with overflow in the basement. Happy to have everything. Prices are going up up up. So are the COVID numbers here.... 6000 positive yesterday with 53 deaths for the day. Plan on staying out of businesses for the near future.

Bought ground beef, stew meat and roasts from local farmer. Paid a little more but the meat is wonderful. I know where it came from and help a local business. Not interested in pink slime.

Yppej
11-13-20, 7:49pm
I have some gaps in my winter wardrobe I am going to try to fill this weekend before the nation's dictators try to shut down stores again. In order to try on clothes I will have to go to an adjacent state. This is unnecessary travel in a pandemic that could be avoided if local stores exercised common sense. There is no longer a state ban on trying on clothes and not a single case of covid has been traced to contamination via surfaces. It's a respiratory virus. But stores are paranoid.

pinkytoe
11-13-20, 8:06pm
Stocking up on wine at Costco this morning so that we don't have to go out again for the holidays. So many baskets stuffed with toilet paper that it was hard not to laugh.

jp1
11-14-20, 11:16pm
So glad the numbers here are stable thanks to responsible leadership and responsible following of the safety recommendations. Our caring leaders are not having to implement life saving lockdowns at this time.

early morning
11-15-20, 6:48am
Just unpacked my latest case of TP, so we're good there. All prescription meds are mail-order, and we're pretty well stocked on OTC stuff. My pantry is bulging and now we're just replacing what we use as we shop about every 3-4 weeks. I've noticed an uptick on prices, some large - the 3# bag of almond flour I got last month is 5 dollars HIGHER this month, so I switched to another brand and bought 25#. I'll have to freeze some of it, but it was just over half of the price of the next cheapest alternative. I have to say I really appreciate the sellers on Amazon these days!

Yppej
11-15-20, 7:33am
Toilet paper has gone up in price again but I have enough that it should last until we get a vaccine. I think other paper goods will also go up so I bought a bunch of tissue boxes since so far their price is still the same.

iris lilies
11-15-20, 8:18am
So glad the numbers here are stable thanks to responsible leadership and responsible following of the safety recommendations. Our caring leaders are not having to implement life saving lockdowns at this time.
Our caring, responsible leaders in the city have said they do not anticipate immediate lockdowns because numbers here are not climbing. Yet, of course.

But their care and concern hardly impresses me since wanton rioting, arson, shooting, theft, etc in our streets doesn’t exactly keep anyone safe.

pick your poison, I guess.

Rogar
11-15-20, 9:52am
I've noticed people seem to be getting lax about social distancing the last few times I've shopped. Mask are mandatory, but there have been times when social distancing is about like it was before the virus issues. My plan is to go back to early morning shopping and sticking up for 2 or 3 weeks instead of one trip a week. Especially through the holidays when the stores will no doubt be more busy. I've not noticed any sort of panic buying, but a few more of the shelves are empty. My brand of rice was out of stock last visit. I have about 15 pounds of flour, which should do for home made bread for a few months at least and have a decent yeast supply. I've arranged for a haircut just before Thanksgiving and the appointment is the first of the day. That should do me until after the first of the year, assuming the state hasn't shut down hair salons by then.

NewGig
11-15-20, 10:34am
Made DH home made Italian tomato soup last week, from frozen tomatoes and herbs. It was a hit, no more Progresso here! I deliberately waited until he ate the last can. (I can't eat it.)

I've offered a friend who's husband is retired and she had a stroke the laundry soap I'd bought during the crazy times. I haven't used it. I'm scent sensitive so I would use all the scent free stuff first, and I have a bit extra and a bottle. Why keep something I know will make me sick?

I bought a case of commercial TP in 2019. We're getting low. I was giving TP to almost everyone I know for a while there...

frugal-one
11-15-20, 12:51pm
Canceled haircuts for next week. The virus numbers here are staggering! Bought a haircutting set earlier and used it once. We didn't look too bad and no one will be seeing us anyways since it is already winter hat weather. Out of fresh fruit but have dried, frozen and canned to last until next shopping excursion.

ApatheticNoMore
11-16-20, 2:28am
Ok stocked up on TP, paper towels, and dishwashing detergent. I'm not going to stock up on food, there was never any shortage of food the first time (just maybe the exact thing one planned on).

Tybee
11-16-20, 8:12am
Not stocking up this time. We are locking down again. Oh, I take that back, I might buy a couple of bags of coffee. If we get stuck for a long time, I could afford to lose some weight.

iris lilies
11-16-20, 8:24am
I don’t plan to do any stocking up. It is what it is and believe me I’m not worried about the populace of St. Louis being adequately fed. Sure somethings may not be available but that’s fine.

rosarugosa
11-16-20, 8:55am
Stocking up on wine at Costco this morning so that we don't have to go out again for the holidays. So many baskets stuffed with toilet paper that it was hard not to laugh.

I think stocking up on wine is always prudent!

happystuff
11-16-20, 10:43am
I'm still trying to slowly stock up not so much in case of shortages, but in preparation for the continuing price increases. It will/has reached a point where some folks can only afford to buy so much, regardless of the available stock.

Rogar
11-16-20, 12:18pm
I've not noticed any big price increases in the grocery products that I normally buy, but some modest increases for a few things. What products are you thinking about?

I did notice in my last beer run a sign saying there have been beer shortages in the supply chain. Something to do with aluminum cans. I am stocking up on beer.

happystuff
11-16-20, 12:28pm
I've not noticed any big price increases in the grocery products that I normally buy, but some modest increases for a few things. What products are you thinking about?

I did notice in my last beer run a sign saying there have been beer shortages in the supply chain. Something to do with aluminum cans. I am stocking up on beer.

At my main grocery store, a couple of the basic canned items, dried beans, milk has modest increases, deli meats/cheeses, chicken - i.e. breasts, leg family packs - again, increase in the breast meat, modest increase in the family packs of legs, thighs.... these type things. I am seeing "holiday" sales on some of the basics I buy, so they will be my stock-up items this coming week. So far, I haven't spent enough to get the free Thanksgiving turkey, so I'll have to see how the prices are on those.

Rogar
11-16-20, 12:50pm
At my main grocery store, a couple of the basic canned items, dried beans, milk has modest increases, deli meats/cheeses, chicken - i.e. breasts, leg family packs - again, increase in the breast meat, modest increase in the family packs of legs, thighs.... these type things. I am seeing "holiday" sales on some of the basics I buy, so they will be my stock-up items this coming week. So far, I haven't spent enough to get the free Thanksgiving turkey, so I'll have to see how the prices are on those.

I used to shop sales and go to a couple of different stores that had better products or prices for this or that. Any more I go to one store once every week or two and will buy products on sale, but basically want to get in and out. So my grocery bills have been higher, but not because of any noticeable price increases. Then again, I pay less attention to prices. I don't buy meat, so I have no idea on meat prices.

jp1
11-18-20, 12:28am

OMG! That would be a disaster. Thank goodness I have a kegerator. No cans required.

But seriously, prices on a lot of the stuff we regularly buy seem to be creeping up. For example we buy a lot of the half pound bags of grated cheese. They used to be $2.99 full price for a half pound bag, often on sale for $2.49. Then at the start of covid they went up to $3.49, but could be had on sale for $2.99. This week they were $3.79. I assume sale price will be $3.49. We were out of cheese so I paid $3.79. Same thing with ground turkey, which we also buy frequently. It used to be $4.99/lb full price but $3.99 on sale, now it's $5.99/lb but on sale at $4.99. Everything else we buy, from canned tomatoes to tortillas to store brand spaghetti seems to be following the same trajectory. I maxed out on store brand honey bunches and oats cereal at the beginning of the pandemic for $1.99/box. I haven't looked lately since we still have 8 or 10 boxes, but I assume that it will also be more expensive now.

NewGig
9-22-21, 12:28pm
I was all set to buy more TP, thought I must have given away more than I thought... found a carton I'd packed because I didn't have room in the supply closet, unless I didn't want to store anything else... (I bought a caselot, a long while ago, before COVID.)

I had a disagreement with the janitorial supply company I used before, and wasn't looking forward to finding a new source and then finding room to store ? rolls of TP... fortunately, now I don't have to do either! I have 2 year old TP and it works just fine, thank you. There was enough in the box to keep us through winter, probably.

Going through all these boxes of stored stuff is sometimes VERY useful! How the TP wound up in the middle of a stack of book boxes is a mystery, but I'm grateful just the same. If I'd known I had these, I probably would have given them away, like I did many, during the worst of the shortages....

We deliberately ate down the pantry this past year after the shortages. Decided I'd rather have an empty pantry than go out and maybe get COVID, so I used up much of my backlog. I have a few dried beans and some pasta left, but that's it. The beans/pasta are getting used, some every week, and I intend to keep that up until they're gone, or all but...

Then I suppose I'll restock.

I will say my "spideysense" is tingling: it's fall and my pantry is nearly empty. This makes me frankly nervous. I thought I'd have it emptied it by now and refilled. I had more than I thought when I started this, and everything can't be served on a pasta, rice, or potato or it just gets old. Or, you can't have beans and rice or barley or... all the time or the same thing happens.

Tonght's dinner? Squash soup. I have 2 small and 1 butternut squash to use up. I'll be out of squash. I'll soak some beans for tomorrow night's dinner, whatever it is?

Last night we had sauteed peppers on pasta with pesto. Used up the end of the peppers from last week's farm haul and some pasta.

catherine
9-22-21, 12:35pm
In the stocking up for the winter department, we actually just bought TWO cords of wood to get us through. We usually get one and then we have to buy again when the snow is on the ground and it's harder to stack and store. So we'll be all prepared now!

Security=looking out your window in late September and seeing a huge pile of dry, split wood. (I'm definitely turning into a country girl)

Yppej
9-22-21, 1:28pm
I am going to buy a box of furnace filters today. Catherine you got me thinking about heat. Thank you.

NewGig
9-22-21, 8:11pm
Catherine, I absolutely get that, being in New England. When we were heating with wood only, it was 4 cords... We finally got the 2 cords I bought the day after DH broke his leg under cover (2019). He was working on getting the house ready for the minisplit we've had since December 2019. The wood shelter is full and the racks are too. We can't heat all winter long, but we can go for quite a while without needing wood, if we have to...

Did you see? Farmer's Almanac is predicting a terrible winter for New England. Sigh. Not as bad as a friend told me...

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/extended-forecast

RedSpruce
9-23-21, 5:28pm
I’ve been busy sharing my first round of canning with family and friends. Second round begins next week, after I check out the grocery stores to see what’s on sale. I have $165 CAD left in my grocery budget. I’m planning carefully. I need more jars, for one thing. Will check the buy/sell/trade sites online to see if I can get them cheaper than in the store.

happystuff
9-26-21, 8:37pm
As I said previously, you all have motivated me to stock the pantry a bit more, so I bought 12 pounds of ground turkey today and have 1/2 being processed for storage right now.

RedSpruce
9-28-21, 4:35pm
I made chicken stock today. I used 6 cups of it to make chicken noodle soup, and the other 6 cups is heading for the freezer. Serving soup up with hm whole wheat dinner rolls and crackers. Alongside hm jams and jellies, honey, molasses, peanut butter and almond butter. Lots of choices! Company is bringing salad. We haven’t decided if we want a dessert or not. Possibly hm yogurt mixed with hm jams/frozen fruit.

I created a menu plan for the next 9 days, as well as a grocery list.

NewGig
9-28-21, 10:55pm
I've decided that I just have to menu plan if we aren't going to run out of some things before winter is over and have too much of others. The stewed tomatoes go really quick. I froze 17 quarts of them to begin with. The shelf comfortably holds 16, so we ate one right away. Two weeks later, this week, we've now eaten another. If I keep us from using them any faster than 1 every 2 weeks, we'll have enough.

Farm day today. Got enough tomatillos for probably at least another 2 quarts of salsa verde. That makes 4. I usually put aside at least 6. This is probably the last pick of the season. It was "gleaning" at the farm, which means they usually plow it under in the coming week and there will be no more. So, 4 will have to do. That means 1 salsa verde based dinner a month and it will get us through January. I also normally freeze 2 quarts of salsa cubes for taco seasoning, etc. I have none, so we'll be buying salsa verde as well.

Onions show up next month. (I'll do 6 quarts of onions.) So do the celery and carrots. I'll do 12 mixed carrots, celery, & onion. Those will get used every 2 weeks too.

I need to figure out, in more detail, the menu plan. Right now it's double veg (M/W) LOs (Tu) Egg (Th) double meat (F/Su) and sandwich (Sa). The pattern works. But with the limited bases I'll have, I'm stuck with essentially 1 meal, be it a double or single, using the bases, weekly. That's great, but what do I do the rest of the week?

happystuff
10-17-21, 5:55pm
As posted in another thread, I just got a huge bag of Gala apple seconds. I'll be eating those good enough to eat as it, throwing most onto the dehydrator and hopefully have time to make some applesauce out of some of them. Going to be busy trying to fit this in with the workday. Also hope I have enough empty cannings jars! All good problems in my book. LOL

bae
12-28-21, 2:17pm
We have been trapped here for days now by a record cold wave (-25F wind chills, baseline temps from 6F to 18F, winds 2-30 knots sustained, gusts over 60 knots.). The wind has died down, and the snow has stopped, but it's still colder here today that it is at McMurdo Station in Antarctica or at Nome, Alaska. The roads are a disaster.

People in the community are experiencing frozen and broken water pipes. Septic systems are freezing up. We've had some significant power outages from the winds, and most people here rely on electricity for their heating.

Fun times.

razz
12-28-21, 2:42pm
That is brutal after the excessive heat, fires, then the rain/floods earlier in the year. Those in lower BC and area have not had time to dry out their homes as yet. Have the roads been restored enough to get supplies?

frugal-one
12-28-21, 4:56pm
Wow…

The world is going crazy! I am in the Rio Grande valley of Texas where record highs are being made… 88F.

From one extreme to another.

JaneV2.0
12-28-21, 7:08pm
I looked at a weather station's website the other day and it said -7 for my town. Good grief.
So far, the electricity is holding. I'm getting used to being cold, and there's no way I'm venturing out to the mailbox. Maybe Spring...

Didn't I say something about having a mild climate? Famous last words.

bae
12-28-21, 7:13pm
The world is going crazy! I am in the Rio Grande valley of Texas where record highs are being made… 88F.

From one extreme to another.

It is totally wacky - we had record high temperatures here this summer, and now these low temperatures are record lows. The extended duration is pretty brutal.

iris lilies
12-29-21, 9:55am
Meanwhile, we’ve had lovely mild temperate weather here in the lower Midwest. OK there was a tornado scare a couple weeks ago, but that’s no big deal. Our days are in the 50s and 60s F, Were in the 70s F last week. This is the sort of weather I would want if I went south for the winter.

Rogar
12-29-21, 10:54am
We had a sizzling dry summer and a long warm dry fall. Other than a few flurries it hasn't snowed here since last spring, which has been highly unusual and record setting. Most of the state has been in some degree of drought, although the northern mountains seem to come up with a normal snowpack for the farmers and front range cities.

Near term for a few days looks more normal with cold weather and some snow in the forecast. It would have been a good year for late summer planting of a few greens and other vegetables had a person known.

Teacher Terry
12-29-21, 12:59pm
Lake Tahoe hit a new record with 194” of snow. The freeway finally opened after being closed for 3 days. In the valley we are only getting a few inches but it’s cold with our highs in the 30’s. Bae, I hope everyone gets their electricity back soon. That sounds awful!

Tradd
2-5-22, 10:44pm
How is everyone doing with keeping stuff stocked at home? I only do Amazon Fresh delivery now. It’s rare I go into a grocery store unless it’s for something quick or to visit the pharmacy for my allergy meds. I’ve got a good bit of paper goods, canned goods, toiletries, and laundry detergent, etc.

Teacher Terry
2-6-22, 1:07am
Luckily I am not seeing any shortages. I only grocery shop every 2-3 weeks and now with my son gone things last a long time.

rosarugosa
2-6-22, 6:40am
I'm seeing occasional holes in inventory, but usually only for a few weeks for any particular item. If I didn't have the ability to buy things online, cat food would probably be a pretty big issue, but we are currently well stocked.

happystuff
2-6-22, 8:54am
I guess we are doing okay. I did notice starting to run low on tp (at least what I consider "low" - lol). Everything else is doing okay, so far.

Tiam
3-8-22, 11:46pm
There's certainly a hysterical element crowd out there. But I notice Walmart gets the most scared supply chain posts.

Tradd
10-23-23, 8:58pm
Doing my annual winter stock up via Amazon. Cases of Progresso (chicken noodle) and Chunky (veggie) soups. So much cheaper than my usual local chain grocery store. Miracle Whip, tuna pouches, dill pickle relish, and small plastic bottles of OJ. Cheerios. Good whole wheat crackers. All cheaper than locally.

I’m good on toiletries and paper goods.

I like the quarts of UHT shelf stable milk from Dollar Tree. Pretty much the only thing I buy there. Found out you can buy cases of 12 online with free delivery to the store. $1.25 a quart. Since it’s just me, this means there is no waste.

Shopping this way means I just go to the grocery store for fresh stuff, yogurt, cheese, eggs, bagels, bread, and lunchmeat. I’d order my bagels via Amazon if I could! But you can only get them via Amazon Fresh. I buy apples for my fruit as they will last for a few weeks in the fridge. I can often go three weeks between hitting the local grocery if I stock up enough.

frugal-one
10-24-23, 8:56pm
With all the government turmoil lately I feel the need to stock up on groceries and to have extra cash on hand.

Rogar
10-24-23, 9:21pm
The garden was decent enough this year to freeze a few containers of sauce for pastas and and whole tomatoes for soups. I am in the Rancho Gordo Bean club and get a delivery of heirloom dried beans every few months. I have a few pounds that have accumulated and will be good to cook in the cold months.

I buy firewood for my wood stove fireplace insert every year. I can get something they call "city mix", which is hardwood from city trees trimmed or removed by a tree trimming company. It seems like a decent use of a resource, but I've taken some guesses on energy savings and the wood cost is pretty much a wash for utility savings. It's nice esthetics, though. I only use it on the coldest of days. Radiant heat feels more warming that hot air heat, or so it seems.

A have an Ego electric lawnmower and then last year picked up one of their snowblowers when a surgery prohibited shoveling. So I have three of their large batteries that just happened to be compatible with one of the Ego power stations. They give a few hours of AC power as an emergency power source. I usually loss power a couple or few times in the winter for a few hours or even a day or two and could run a router/modem for a couple of days or the fan on the wood stove for a few hours or some other light short term uses. Not a huge expense and a tempting consideration.

Tradd
10-24-23, 9:39pm
With all the government turmoil lately I feel the need to stock up on groceries and to have extra cash on hand.

I agree with you. I need to pick up some cold remedies. I got my flu/covid vaccines today. I’m working on paying down debt, as aggressively as possible, although I need to sock away more cash.

Tradd
10-24-23, 9:45pm
I’ve been having a few car battery issues (now solved), but I got one of the car starter batteries just in case. I also got one of the Jackery battery generators last year. I will use it to charge my phone in a power outage (can recharge it about 35 times). It was the 300 model and I paid about $300. I also got a better emergency radio with the NOAA weather alerts. Well reviewed in the NYT Wirecutter review section.

I made sure to get two favorite fantasy trilogies in paperback, just to have something hard copy to read (I do nearly all ebooks).

Tradd
10-24-23, 9:50pm
The garden was decent enough this year to freeze a few containers of sauce for pastas and and whole tomatoes for soups. I am in the Rancho Gordo Bean club and get a delivery of heirloom dried beans every few months. I have a few pounds that have accumulated and will be good to cook in the cold months.

I buy firewood for my wood stove fireplace insert every year. I can get something they call "city mix", which is hardwood from city trees trimmed or removed by a tree trimming company. It seems like a decent use of a resource, but I've taken some guesses on energy savings and the wood cost is pretty much a wash for utility savings. It's nice esthetics, though. I only use it on the coldest of days. Radiant heat feels more warming that hot air heat, or so it seems.

A have an Ego electric lawnmower and then last year picked up one of their snowblowers when a surgery prohibited shoveling. So I have three of their large batteries that just happened to be compatible with one of the Ego power stations. They give a few hours of AC power as an emergency power source. I usually loss power a couple or few times in the winter for a few hours or even a day or two and could run a router/modem for a couple of days or the fan on the wood stove for a few hours or some other light short term uses. Not a huge expense and a tempting consideration.

Sounds like you’re doing well!

sweetana3
10-25-23, 5:08am
We made sure we had a light, a radio and a charger that run off my husband's Dewalt tool batteries. Thanks for the idea to have a few good books on standby for electrical outages.

Tradd
10-25-23, 8:54am
We made sure we had a light, a radio and a charger that run off my husband's Dewalt tool batteries. Thanks for the idea to have a few good books on standby for electrical outages.

I know a lot of people who are doing that with the tool batteries. Makes total sense b

happystuff
10-25-23, 12:08pm
I never thought of that with the tool batteries - and I have Dewalt! Thanks for the idea. Otherwise, I haven't really started yet. Priced out some ground turkey and it was WAY more than the last time I bought some. But, will probably bite the bullet to get some extra in the pantry.

jp1
10-25-23, 7:24pm
That’s an interesting idea about the tool batteries. We went with black and decker for ours. I’ll have to see if there is something similar for them.

Rogar
10-25-23, 8:10pm
That’s an interesting idea about the tool batteries. We went with black and decker for ours. I’ll have to see if there is something similar for them.

I have Black and Decker yard tools and four or five batteries. I looked it up on Amazon and there are some interesting adaptions. They may have their place in an emergency, but I don't think they can run anything that normally runs on AC and may draw a battery down fairly quickly. It would be worth a little more research and I'd be interested in opinions. The Ego power station is $500 but is a powerhouse of options with big battery storages and has an inverter to run AC appliances for light use that could run a refrigerator for a few hours or a coffee maker or router/modem. It might be a bit of overkill for the price. Then again, our weather has been pretty strange lately. Our power outages are due to tree breakage onto power lines after snows and high winds.

My brother had his house adapted for a backup generator. My rough guess is something like four thousand dollars for system modifications plus a basic petrol run generator. I could see that having a place in certain unlikely events like an EMP attack or terrorist damage to the grid. My paranoia has not reached that level...yet.

Tradd
10-25-23, 8:32pm
This is what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Portable-Explorer-Generator-Optional/dp/B082TMBYR6/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_maf_1?crid=1LW8FER14V44Y&keywords=jackery+300&qid=1698280175&sprefix=iackery+300%2Caps%2C113&sr=8-3

I simply wanted something to be able to charge my iPhone and iPad. I also have several backup battery packs (like you would take when traveling) to use, as well.

I remember reading in the aftermath of hurricane Sandy that people would have been better off using their charged laptops to charge their phones rather than to watch movies until the battery died.

I live in an apartment so something like the Jackery makes the most sense for me since it’s not gasoline powered.

sweetana3
10-26-23, 5:05am
My husband volunteers all year for Habitat for Humanity. He buys all Dewalt so his batteries are interchangeable with all his tools. (Heck he even has Dewalt branded socks.) So our light, radio and charger are all Dewalt. He even thinks one of his devices could run the fridge if all else failed but I am not willing to test this idea.

At my age, if the power goes out for 2+ days, I am going to somewhere with power and paying for the stay. Apocalypse situations will not be helped too much by batteries. We live in a very urban area so our power is usually not out for very long.

jp1
10-26-23, 11:02am
I have Black and Decker yard tools and four or five batteries. I looked it up on Amazon and there are some interesting adaptions. They may have their place in an emergency, but I don't think they can run anything that normally runs on AC and may draw a battery down fairly quickly. It would be worth a little more research and I'd be interested in opinions. The Ego power station is $500 but is a powerhouse of options with big battery storages and has an inverter to run AC appliances for light use that could run a refrigerator for a few hours or a coffee maker or router/modem. It might be a bit of overkill for the price. Then again, our weather has been pretty strange lately. Our power outages are due to tree breakage onto power lines after snows and high winds.

My brother had his house adapted for a backup generator. My rough guess is something like four thousand dollars for system modifications plus a basic petrol run generator. I could see that having a place in certain unlikely events like an EMP attack or terrorist damage to the grid. My paranoia has not reached that level...yet.

I actually built a homemade version of one of the jackery’s. It’s got a 200 amp hour battery (roughly 2.4kwh of 110 a/c power) and a 1500 watt inverter. It’s enough to run the fridge and my office for a day or so. I made it out of concern for rolling blackouts during fire season but have only needed it when our contractor was doing electric work and had to turn the power off for a few hours three or four times. I had originally intended to get a gas generator to keep it charged during an extended outage but am now leaning towards getting a 100w solar panel. I spent about $1200 on all the pieces and a lot of time watching DIY videos about RV electricity and battery solar systems.

The power tool batteries would be for if we need to evacuate somewhere to give us extra battery for phones and iPads and such.

Alan
10-26-23, 12:13pm
I have a 3500 watt gasoline powered generator for use in our camper should we ever decide to spend time off grid, it runs everything in the camper, including A/C. If I move it into my garage, I can power fridge, freezer, some lighting, modem, router, tv's, etc., for as long as I have access to gasoline.

Tradd
10-28-23, 4:37pm
I don’t think it’s overkill to have some way of keeping phones, etc., charged for a while. I live in the Chicago and I’ve not had an extended power outage at all in the 15 years I’ve lived in current place, or even since being in IL since 1996. Still doesn’t hurt to be prepared. I’ve occasionally gone camping and diving for an entire weekend. The Jackery would work well for that application, as well as power outage.

Have gotten all the Amazon stuff I’ve ordered over the past week put away and organized.

Tradd
11-5-23, 7:22pm
Remembered a few more things I needed - I’m almost at the end of my big bottle of multivitamins. At the recommendation of my doctor when I had my annual checkup in June, I’ve switched from Zyrtec-D (pseudoephedrine) to a nasal spray called Astepro. This is in addition to Flonase. The best part is I’m not dependent on getting to the pharmacy and waiting in a long line to get the Zyrtec-D and signing for it. I get the generic Flonase from Amazon and I get get the Astepro from Amazon, too. It’s OTC. It’s so new it’s still branded, but it works out cheaper than the Zyrtec-D and I don’t have to mess with the pharmacy. They’re always staffed sparsely and the lines are long.

I also got some more Dr Bronner’s lavender bar soap, which I use for my body/face, as well as paper towels (just a couple of big rolls), the Dr Bronner’s arnica-menthol Magic Balm, which I use on my knees (osteoarthritis). I hit a local grocery store yesterday that had a 4/$5 sale on the Campbell’s Chunky soup I love. Limit 4, but I couldn’t pass up that price.

I’m feeling nice and stocked up. It’s a very comfy feeling. We had about 1” of snow on Halloween on grassy areas, very cold and windy (20s windchill), but we’re now in Indian summer. 65 tomorrow, then back to seasonal average temps. I want the cold back! I didn’t turn my heat on during the cold spell last week and it will probably be well into December before I turn it on. It’s my annual game to go as long as I can before turning it on.

iris lilies
11-5-23, 7:49pm
Our freezer is stupid jammed with stuff, and I need to be directly using it up. I froze tons of tomatoes and that’s one thing that’s making it too full.

Tybee
11-6-23, 6:16am
Tradd, people in Maine do the game of seeing how long they can go before turning on the heat, too. One guy made it to the week before Christmas!
We have ours off but did turn it on one night, but with the woodstove and space heaters, we are trying to hold out.

Rogar
11-7-23, 9:37am
A short follow up, Ego recently came out with a smaller 400w inverter for $150. I'm a fan of the quality of Ego products and have three of their large batteries for my yard tools, so I ordered one. By my simple estimates it should make the house semi-comfortable in maybe a two day power outage or a little more. A basic LED light or two, running the fan on my woodburning fireplace insert for a few hours, light use of a modem router, and charging various small items like a cell phone, emergency radio or iPad. Probably not much help for a frig or stove, but I have camping cook gear and gas for that. It seemed like a compromise between something more expensive and the smaller sized work lights that run off B+D and DeWalt type devices. Basic research says the Ego batteries can be charged through the inverter with a small 100w solar panel that runs about a hundred dollars. I'm not there yet, but it is pretty cool you could do that. I suspect it would take a long time to charge a battery. Something to consider.

Tradd
11-7-23, 10:10am
The solar thing for me really isn’t much of an option as I don’t have any outdoor space to charge anything and all my apartment windows face east. The best I could do would be to put my emergency radio in the window to charge as it could charge off solar, in addition to hand crank and via usb.

I ended up getting a butane burner of Amazon. Can be used inside with a window open. Much better for emergency cooking than my Sterno stove, which is just for heating water or canned goods. Heck, I could even take the butane stove when I’m gone diving for a weekend and I could actually cook on it in an emergency. It was really affordable. Maybe $30. I ordered a 4 pack of butane fuel for maybe $20.

happystuff
11-7-23, 1:00pm
The solar thing for me really isn’t much of an option as I don’t have any outdoor space to charge anything and all my apartment windows face east. The best I could do would be to put my emergency radio in the window to charge as it could charge off solar, in addition to hand crank and via usb.

I ended up getting a butane burner of Amazon. Can be used inside with a window open. Much better for emergency cooking than my Sterno stove, which is just for heating water or canned goods. Heck, I could even take the butane stove when I’m gone diving for a weekend and I could actually cook on it in an emergency. It was really affordable. Maybe $30. I ordered a 4 pack of butane fuel for maybe $20.

Love the butane stove. That is now our camping stove and for any possible emergency.

jp1
11-8-23, 10:39pm
For us the most likely emergency scenario affecting cooking would be an earthquake or electric outage. For that our backup plan is our outdoor grill that uses propane tanks. If it were raining (we don’t get snow) that would be suboptimal but no plan is perfect.

jp1
11-8-23, 10:50pm
We had about 1” of snow on Halloween on grassy areas, very cold and windy (20s windchill), but we’re now in Indian summer. 65 tomorrow, then back to seasonal average temps. I want the cold back! I didn’t turn my heat on during the cold spell last week and it will probably be well into December before I turn it on. It’s my annual game to go as long as I can before turning it on.

Back in 1990 I did a summer internship at an opera company in Cooperstown, in upstate NY. The only time we had "summer" weather the entire time I was there was July 4th weekend where we had 3 days in a row of wild hot temperatures in the 80's during the day. The rest of the summer it got up to the low 70's at best. I arrived in the second week of May and it was still getting below freezing every night and maybe in the mid 50's during the days. One of the old lady volunteers at the opera had a rule of "always turn the furnace off on May 1 no matter the temperature." I can't imagine how cold her house must've been every morning but she seemed really dedicated to it. I imagine she played the same game you do every fall.

Tybee
11-9-23, 6:54am
We lived near the Finger Lakes for a few years thus nearish Cooperstown and it would be 39 degrees in June. Horrible weather.

happystuff
11-11-23, 9:42am
Have the dehydrator running, the contents of which will be a halfway decent addition to the pantry.

Tradd
11-11-23, 11:37am
Picked up my three cases of shelf stable milk from Dollar Tree today. It took a couple of weeks for it to get to the store, but that was OK. Free shipping that way.

iris lilies
11-11-23, 11:45am
Picked up my three cases of shelf stable milk from Dollar Tree today. It took a couple of weeks for it to get to the store, but that was OK. Free shipping that way.
Tell me about shelf stable milk. Is that something I could keep in my condo for weeks on end?

Tradd
11-11-23, 11:57am
Tell me about shelf stable milk. Is that something I could keep in my condo for weeks on end?

Yes, UHT milk. Just look at the best by date on the package. $1.25/qt at Dollar Tree. Once opened you have to refrigerate it, but otherwise, nope.

https://www.dollartree.com/drinks/milk

Just go and pickup a few quarts. It needs to be cold if I’m drinking it straight or for cereal (I love ice cold milk), but if it’s for tea/coffee, I just use it straight from the shelf without chilling it first.

iris lilies
11-11-23, 12:13pm
Yes, UHT milk. Just look at the best by date on the package. $1.25/qt at Dollar Tree. Once opened you have to refrigerate it, but otherwise, nope.

https://www.dollartree.com/drinks/milk

Just go and pickup a few quarts. It needs to be cold if I’m drinking it straight or for cereal (I love ice cold milk), but if it’s for tea/coffee, I just use it straight from the shelf without chilling it first.

We only have Dollar General and Family Dollar here in Hermann. I wonder if they have it? I’ll have to check.

Tradd
11-11-23, 12:29pm
We only have Dollar General and Family Dollar here in Hermann. I wonder if they have it? I’ll have to check.

I’m sure they probably do. I think Family Dollar and Dollar Tree merged. Or at least I think that’s what I heard.

iris lilies
11-11-23, 1:17pm
I’m sure they probably do. I think Family Dollar and Dollar Tree merged. Or at least I think that’s what I heard.
Oh yeah, you are right! I am pretty sure the store billboard sign now says Family Dollar/Dollar tree.