PDA

View Full Version : Inappropriate in Portland.....

gimmethesimplelife
8-22-20, 10:44am
I very much support peaceful protesting in downtown Portland. I support all litigation against law enforcement excess during these protests and pray for life changing settlements for all litigants.

That all said, I am very much against the repeated breaking into of government buildings and setting fires. I can fully understand the justifiable anger against America that leads to this - but such behavior does not help the movement and gives the dark side (law enforcement) fodder to work with
to stir up conservative support. You would think the protestors would know better and would channel their justifiable anger more constructively. What's your take? Rob

JaneV2.0
8-22-20, 11:16am
I believe the bad actors are mostly agents provocateurs--I know the guy shooting into a crowd of protesters in the middle of the day is a known right wing tool.
The vast majority of protesters are legitimate, but I believe lawbreakers in the crowd--of whatever stripe--should be arrested.

The alleged shooting, seen in social media videos, took place at a “flag wave” counterprotest in opposition to weeks of demonstrations in Portland.

"Jernigan has been a frequent attendee of Patriot Prayer and Portland Liberation rallies, conservative groups that have been known for seeking confrontation with liberal demonstrators in recent years.

Those groups have been largely absent at the protests in Portland against systemic racism and inequality that have lasted 83 consecutive nights. But in the recent days, counterprotesters have become a more common presence, and pockets of violence have come with them.

The FBI is investigating an improvised explosive thrown at protesters on Aug. 8 in Laurelhurst Park.

Patriot Prayer founder Joey Gibson made a brief appearance at a demonstration Monday night, largely to criticize demonstrators for an assault that took place over the weekend."

https://www.opb.org/article/2020/08/20/portland-protest-shooting-skylor-jernigan/

ETA: "On Wednesday, in response to increased counter protester involvement, a coalition of nearly 300 protest groups, activists, businesses and individuals signed a petition sent to the mayor and city commissioners demanding they hold conservative counter protesters accountable."

Teacher Terry
8-22-20, 11:40am
Totally agree Rob and Jane.

catherine
8-22-20, 1:01pm
We need another MLK, who had such an incredible ability to inspire NONVIOLENT protest and to limit the amount of "acting out" of players with more violent agendas. People say that MLK wouldn't have succeeded in the civil rights advancements without the more violent activities of Black Panthers, Malcolm X and other more aggressive forms of protest as sidebars, but there are no clear leaders on the non-violent front today, which hurts the cause overall, I believe.

bae
8-22-20, 1:02pm
I think there are very not-fine people on both sides.

iris lilies
8-22-20, 1:02pm
... I am very much against the repeated breaking into of government buildings and setting fires...What's your take? Rob
My take is Gold Star for you, if that is what you expect by stating the obvious.

LDAHL
8-22-20, 1:28pm
Having been told that the federal presence was the provocation, the violence seems to have continued after they pulled back. And we are now falling back on the right wing provocateur story. I think Bae is right about the distribution of idiocy in that self-absorbed town.

JaneV2.0
8-22-20, 2:04pm
Something's going on in Portland, involving people all dressed in black, vetting cars as they travel down public streets, etc.

I think it's a group trying to initiate conflict to provide footage for the convention. People are being warned away from the central city. If I were the demonstrators, I'd leave the Proud Boys (sic) to their own devices, and stay home.

iris lilies
8-22-20, 3:24pm
Something's going on in Portland, involving people all dressed in black, vetting cars as they travel down public streets, etc.

I think it's a group trying to initiate conflict to provide footage for the convention. People are being warned away from the central city. If I were the demonstrators, I'd leave the Proud Boys (sic) to their own devices, and stay home.

I don’t think you understand protesters want someone to shout at. Ok to be fair, I will amend that to say a measurable, significant percentage want someone to shout at. This measurable percentage does not necessarily want physical altercations. They do not go to the protest with that in mind as a goal.

But make no mistake, many protesters who go to a protest are all ramped up and if there aren't Proud Boys or your bogeymen of the moment there to scream at, they will stand and scream at a line of police officers.

Of course I support every American’s right to protest lawfully. Some disruption from these protests is the cost of democracy. I think that cost exceeded what is reasonable many many weeks ago in many places.

Edited to add huh? All dressed in black is the uniform of protesters. That’s what the car full of girls were wearing when I saw them loading up to drive downtown to the protest here. College girls all dressed up in black with black masks even . That’s cool actually to have a uniform. I don’t think that existed for Ferguson rioting but I could be wrong.

iris lilies
8-22-20, 3:36pm
I think there are very not-fine people on both sides.

haha.

jp1
8-22-20, 5:13pm
Iris, it’s just as easy to randomly claim that the counter protestors want to stir up trouble. Or that trump needs something to shout at.