PDA

View Full Version : New Old Style Cars

Yppej
8-29-20, 11:24am
In case the governor shuts down test drives due to a second wave I have been checking out some vehicles. I like to buy new but I do not like some of the features on new cars.

I do not like CVT transmission. My AAA magazine this month talked about problems with this newer technology. I like regular automatic transmission.

I do not like keyless entry. Your car can get hacked and stolen, and it is another thing that can break. My son has my old 2007 Elantra and the remote no longer works but he can still get in the car with the key. Keyless would not allow this.

I do not need electronics, bells and whistles. One car I had didn't even have a radio. What matters to me are affordability, gas mileage, reliability, and cost to maintain. For instance, I like cars that take conventional rather than synthetic oil because that is cheaper.

Is there a car out there for me or am I a hopeless relic?

Teacher Terry
8-29-20, 12:11pm
You could order a car with the features you want versus buying off the lot.

Rogar
8-29-20, 12:24pm
I suspect key less entry can be disabled by the dealer or a mechanic? Worth a google search if it comes to it. My Toyota can be locked and unlocked with just the key or with the key less feature so key less is not required if one chooses, so would not necessary if it's disabled.

iris lilies
8-29-20, 1:13pm
I do not know the answer to you question jep, but
I am with you in wanting stripped down cars without features. But I have to say, automatic transmission is not very basic.

I would be surprised if you can order non-keyless entry. But my Fiatta has a method to start without the key fob, so I would guess other cars have that? It’s just that it’s so complex I would never remember it.

Alan
8-29-20, 1:14pm
My son has my old 2007 Elantra and the remote no longer works but he can still get in the car with the key. Keyless would not allow this.
I've had 3 cars with keyless entry/push button start and rather enjoyed the fact I never need take the key out of my pocket. Of the three I owned, there was a key hidden in the fob and a sliding cover on the driver door handle to insert it. I'd guess that all of them do but not certain of that.

early morning
8-29-20, 1:15pm
I hate all that crap too, jeppy!! I drive manual transmissions, though. Hyundai has pretty basic stuff - I don't think you have to have a keyless on the cheaper models. I'm on my second Accent - it's 7 years old and going strong. Have you considered a manual? It's really not hard to drive a stick unless you have a left knee/ankle problem. I made both of my kids learn to drive on one, and they both still prefer a stick to an auto. Better gas mileage too.

Yppej
8-29-20, 1:20pm
I tried learning manual as a teen and I could never get it. I am on my second Hyundai but had a falling out with the local dealership, the only one convenient to where I live for service. I may have to go with a vehicle with CVT and a long powertrain warranty.

Yppej
8-29-20, 1:30pm
I suspect key less entry can be disabled by the dealer or a mechanic? Worth a google search if it comes to it. My Toyota can be locked and unlocked with just the key or with the key less feature so key less is not required if one chooses, so would not necessary if it's disabled.

The keyless key also started the car and there was no ignition slot for a key so I'm not sure how that would work on the models I looked at.

bae
8-29-20, 1:55pm
I do not like CVT transmission. My AAA magazine this month talked about problems with this newer technology.

The CVT transmission was invented in 1879. It predates the "automatic" transmission by decades.

https://www.gasenginemagazine.com/gas-engines/a-tale-of-two-brothers

early morning
8-29-20, 2:54pm
Enjoyed the article, bae - thanks for sharing! You know the most interesting things..... :D

ApatheticNoMore
8-29-20, 3:03pm
I have a CVT transmission, nothing fancy just means I buy Japanese cars, yea always have.

You feel how much smoother the ride is, SMOOTH ... More fuel efficient, yes, but not dramatic, however for a standard gas powered engine if you look at the years before CVT and after for the model, published fuel efficiency went up. I looked before buying. But if you want big gains in fuel efficiency it's not in this, it's in hybrids obviously, electric cars, maybe hydrogen cars (ha only CA has fueling stations for hydrogen cars at all). There is no replacing the timing belt on CVT I believe.

catherine
8-29-20, 3:23pm
I've had 3 cars with keyless entry/push button start and rather enjoyed the fact I never need take the key out of my pocket. Of the three I owned, there was a key hidden in the fob and a sliding cover on the driver door handle to insert it. I'd guess that all of them do but not certain of that.

My keyless entry fob has the internal key you can use if necessary--which I did when my battery died with the doors locked. It's no trouble to pull it out and use it.

Alan
8-29-20, 3:30pm
My keyless entry fob has the internal key you can use if necessary--which I did when my battery died with the doors locked. It's no trouble to pull it out and use it.Yep, I tested each of mine too, just to make sure. lol

catherine
8-29-20, 3:33pm
Yep, I tested each of mine too, just to make sure. lol

And frankly, my car is more "old school" than "new school"--it will be a classic in only 7 years.

bae
8-29-20, 3:45pm
I have a general preference for vehicles with as few "features" as I can find. I typically keep a car 20+ years, and "features" tend to break in expensive ways or become frustrating as they age.

Alas, modern cars are required to have so many new safety features that it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a simple vehicle. Even the simple pickup truck I got a couple of years ago is festooned with collision avoidance sensors, auto-follow cruise control, backup cameras, lane departure warning systems, blind spot detection, etc, etc.

When I had a rock break the windshield, I found out that many of the expensive sensors for these features are integral to the windshield, which is now much much more expensive than you would think, as it is much more than a piece of glass. It also required software calibration when installed.....

dmc
8-29-20, 3:45pm
My Jeep still has a key. I would have gone with roll up windows if I could have gotten it without power door locks. But it’s the last of that model, new ones are keyless.

SteveinMN
8-29-20, 5:21pm
Reason #14 why I want to keep my car running. It, too, is just a few years shy of "classic". Just enough nice stuff -- power windows and locks, a decent sound system, and a manual transmission. Only things I wish it had were ESC (an option that year but it's not on the one I bought) and heated seats (though apparently those really drag down mileage on these cars). Otherwise, pretty simple and built to stay that way.

Tybee
8-30-20, 9:44am
I love my simple car. It's ten years old and has roll up windows. I do need to replace the cd player, which has been broken now for eight years.

Yppej
8-30-20, 10:36am
I booked an appointment next Saturday to take my car in and see what all it may need. I am getting a $99 diagnostic not just the $10 multipoint inspection. I would like to keep it but when I accelerate hard lots of white smoke comes out of the exhaust and the check engine light comes on briefly, which could be something serious like a head gasket. It drives fine otherwise, no leaks on the driveway or where I park at work, temperature is fine, coolant level is ok. So I feel like if I drive like the stereotypical old lady I might be okay.

The car first did this years ago and I thought it was built up gunk because I never revved it, then nothing for years, but lately it has been happening more. One time I was briefly not able to steer the car. So that scared me and now I putt putt along if there is not a huge space in traffic for me to pass gradually. I am spending a lot of time behind road construction vehicles and other slowpokes.

SteveinMN
8-30-20, 11:13am
I love my simple car. It's ten years old and has roll up windows. I do need to replace the cd player, which has been broken now for eight years.
In the spirit of decluttering our lives, if you haven't missed the CD player in eight years, do you need to replace it? :)

Tybee
8-30-20, 11:40am
In the spirit of decluttering our lives, if you haven't missed the CD player in eight years, do you need to replace it? :)

Funny, I miss it every day I drive the car (it's been demoted to a drive in summer only car) but it has the plug in where I can plug in the play away library books when I travel, so I have just never felt flush enough to treat myself to having the cd player back.

ApatheticNoMore
8-30-20, 11:54am
Went with bf yesterday and he bought a hydrogen car. I don't think there is even infrastructure to fuel these outside of California. More cutting edge by far than me I guess.

Teacher Terry
8-30-20, 12:26pm
Tybee, perhaps you have too many cars if you have a summer only car:))

Tybee
8-30-20, 12:40pm
I can't get rid of it, it gets almost 40 mpg and it is knock on wood failsafe, always runs, always starts, it's a toyota.

On a deeper level, it is my independence, and I drive alone to family when I need to, and I can get a job outside the home and work, etc., and could not without my car.

Teacher Terry
8-30-20, 12:54pm
We love our Toyota and Honda. We need 2 cars. Mine is in the shop because the neighbors across the street hit me and it’s been a real PIA.

Tybee
8-30-20, 1:12pm
Oh, that's awful. That is a pain.

Teacher Terry
8-30-20, 2:38pm
Plus I was in the car so now seeing a chiropractor for neck/back pain. They backed out of their driveway fast right into me. My car is really damaged but their’s is not because they have a big SUV.

Tybee
8-30-20, 5:48pm
Oh dear, and with your husband's surgery--so sorry, what a rotten thing to have happen.

iris lilies
8-30-20, 6:01pm
Tybee, perhaps you have too many cars if you have a summer only car:))

Don’t you go down that road, missy!

—signed Iris, owner of two summer cars.

Teacher Terry
8-30-20, 10:14pm
You definitely have too many cars IL:)).

ToomuchStuff
8-31-20, 3:35am
Restomods. That is where an old vehicle, is upgraded with a modern engine/drivetrain/brakes, suspension, etc.
For instance, my 71 VW SB, I've debated doing the Subug swap (Subaru engine in the VW), with a full brake upgrade (four disc brakes, dual master cylinder). The power upgrade would also allow for a/c.

I do know of one instance, where a person tried to get just a physical key, for entry and starting the vehicle and couldn't. The company couldn't understand why they needed it, until they found out surfer, with no place to keep a key dry.

SteveinMN
8-31-20, 11:19am
I do know of one instance, where a person tried to get just a physical key, for entry and starting the vehicle and couldn't. The company couldn't understand why they needed it, until they found out surfer, with no place to keep a key dry.
You'd think some enterprising manufacturer of sport utility vehicles would come up with a key fob that was IP67 or IP68 water resistant (like some mobile phones). That would solve that problem.

Tradd
8-31-20, 12:10pm
You'd think some enterprising manufacturer of sport utility vehicles would come up with a key fob that was IP67 or IP68 water resistant (like some mobile phones). That would solve that problem.

That’s what “valet” keys are for! This is an issue with divers. Get a plain key that will just open the driver’s door. Then you get the “real” key out to start car, open trunk, etc. I have a little zippered pocket on the inside of my dry suit, attached to suspenders. I could put the valet key in there. Don’t have to worry about the electronics, etc. You hide the real key somewhere in the car, like center console.

beckyliz
8-31-20, 2:50pm
That’s what “valet” keys are for! This is an issue with divers. Get a plain key that will just open the driver’s door. Then you get the “real” key out to start car, open trunk, etc. I have a little zippered pocket on the inside of my dry suit, attached to suspenders. I could put the valet key in there. Don’t have to worry about the electronics, etc. You hide the real key somewhere in the car, like center console.

Thank you. I've always wondered what that worthless key was for.

Yppej
9-5-20, 6:20pm
Good news - a thorough diagnostic including checking codes, two test drives, and looking under the hood at components including the head gasket uncovered no problems. I now feel safe driving my car. It was at the shop over 8 hours (mostly waiting its turn) so I didn't get the $10 multipoint inspection on other components as we were running out of time, but that isn't due for another 6500 miles anyways.

early morning
9-5-20, 7:10pm
That's great! May you be on the road together for a long time to come. (you and the car, that is....) ;)

Yppej
9-5-20, 7:11pm
Thanks EM.

JakeSilva231
11-5-20, 6:43am
The CVT transmission was invented in 1879. It predates the "automatic" transmission by decades.
Thank you for the information, I did not know that transmissions for so many years.