PDA

View Full Version : 2020 - just keeps getting crazier

jp1
9-9-20, 3:33pm
Woke up at 8:00 this morning and it was still dark as night out. Now at noon it's only slightly lighter. This video is of daytime. Yes, the streetlights are still on. It's that dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk_OWabJUys

Tybee
9-9-20, 3:51pm
Woke up at 8:00 this morning and it was still dark as night out. Now at noon it's only slightly lighter. This video is of daytime. Yes, the streetlights are still on. It's that dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk_OWabJUys

Wow, Jp1, superscary.

Tradd
9-9-20, 3:59pm
Wow. A friend who lives somewhere in Pacifica has been posting similar.

JaneV2.0
9-9-20, 4:25pm
Corvallis, Oregon is number two on a Worst Air Quality map. Florence, Oregon (on the coast) is number one. Fortunately, my friends are safely inside, breathing recycled inside air. They've never seen anything like this.

JaneV2.0
9-9-20, 4:35pm
And I just found out that a friend is officiating her cousin's wedding on land near the Mt. Hood National Forest that is right on the cusp of a level 2 evacuation decree--There's a ceremony not soon forgotten!

Tradd
9-9-20, 5:13pm
And I just found out that a friend is officiating her cousin's wedding on land near the Mt. Hood National Forest that is right on the cusp of a level 2 evacuation decree--There's a ceremony not soon forgotten!

Definitely not!

jp1
9-9-20, 5:24pm
There seem to be a lot of usually normal things this year that will be unforgettably strange.

frugal-one
9-9-20, 6:46pm
Frightening.

jp1
9-9-20, 8:22pm
It’s finally cleared up some. Everything is still orange and the fog never lifted today since the sun didn’t get through. But it’s not nearly as dark or orange as it was this morning. It was really creepy.

ApatheticNoMore
9-9-20, 8:40pm
It's kind of the same way here, not quite as severe but basically the same thing. I do think we're more used to fires in So Cal though.

jp1
9-9-20, 9:52pm
Now that I've had time to get used to it I'm not quite so freaked out. The science about how some wavelengths of light could get through the smoke (the red and yellow) and others couldn't resulting in an orange sky is fascinating. And honestly, since the smoke is not at ground level it's bizarre, yes, but far less annoying/dangerous than 2 years ago when the skies were also really ugly with smoke from wildfires but the air outside was also horribly polluted.

KayLR
9-10-20, 11:49am
The smoke is just hanging today; there is no air movement right now. Which is good for the fire containment efforts, but miserable otherwise. It's stinky and giving me a huge headache. The last we saw of the sun yesterday before it was occluded by smoke, it was a bright orange orb. Haven't seen it today. It's before 9 a.m. right now and it looks like dusk.

ApatheticNoMore
9-10-20, 7:20pm
It's rumored the smoke here is coming from up in Nor Cal. Uh, we didn't have enough fires here? (we have active fires here). We're now importing smoke as well? :laff:

Yea I've seen that orange orb, end of the world sun, on Labor day, at the start of a fire here. I have no idea whether it would be sunny or overcast the last few days if there was no smoke. It seems overcast but that could just be smoke.

jp1
9-10-20, 9:43pm
Today was just a regular fire smoky day here with yellow/gray skies and a barely visible sun, not like the freakshow yesterday. But the air quality is now really bad because all the smoke that was blocking the sun has now sunk to earth and is making it smell like a campfire outside. I really hope this isn't going to be here for a long time. I'm getting agitated already at not being able to go out and get in any exercise.

KayLR
9-11-20, 12:48pm
I have so much yard work I really need to do, but who wants to go out and do anything with level 373 hazardous air quality? The smoke is just hanging. I'm glad there aren't any winds like before so that the firefighters might get ahead, but it sure is miserable. Everything is coated with ash and dust, and there's no brightness, just a yellowish cast. Like a sick filter. But, that's 2020 for ya.

Teacher Terry
9-11-20, 1:27pm
Kay, the yard work can wait. Your lungs will thank you.

JaneV2.0
9-11-20, 3:05pm
I just read that Portland now has the world's worst air quality, and is being told to get ready to evacuate*. Suburbs SE of Portland are at risk. A massive smoke plume is supposedly moving up I-5 toward Seattle. All we need is an earthquake--or maybe an alien invasion--to complete 2020. I'm going to take a nap. :(
*I'll believe that when I see it...

Gardnr
9-11-20, 3:07pm
I just read that Portland now has the world's worst air quality, and is being told to get ready to evacuate*. Suburbs SE of Portland are at risk. A massive smoke plume is supposedly moving up I-5 toward Seattle. All we need is an earthquake--or maybe an alien invasion--to complete 2020. I'm going to take a nap. :(

HA! Earthquakes started in March in Idaho starting with a 6.5 and we have them every day up to a dozen a day. Tuesday another 4.4.

We just gonna rock 'n roll our way through 2020:cool:

JaneV2.0
9-11-20, 3:19pm
HA! Earthquakes started in March in Idaho starting with a 6.5 and we have them every day up to a dozen a day. Tuesday another 4.4.

We just gonna rock 'n roll our way through 2020:cool:

Oh dear...3428

dado potato
9-11-20, 4:29pm
I have so much yard work I really need to do, but who wants to go out and do anything with level 373 hazardous air quality?

I agree with Teacher Terry... stay inside if you can.

It may be that you can run air conditioning on "recirculate", to keep filtering your indoor air.

http://wasmoke.blogspot.com

KayLR
9-11-20, 4:39pm
I keep telling Jesus to just come already, but he just won't. ;)

KayLR
9-11-20, 4:47pm

At least they had the brains to postpone closing the I-5 bridge (at least 4 of the 6 lanes). Can you imagine what that would've been like had there been an evac order?

JaneV2.0
9-11-20, 4:56pm
At least they had the brains to postpone closing the I-5 bridge (at least 4 of the 6 lanes). Can you imagine what that would've been like had there been an evac order?

I can't imagine what purpose that would serve. I know one family that might relocate north into Washington with their three cats, but I doubt it will be necessary.

KayLR
9-11-20, 5:36pm
Well, the bridge was scheduled to be mostly closed (4 of 6 lanes) starting tomorrow for 10 days to replace trunnions which are originals, I think. They decided to postpone because of evacuees and emergency vehicles.

The bridge is way old. Basically, it would have been the only stop between Blaine and Mexico. When they finally do this closure, it's gonna be a shitshow. Avoid at all cost.

JaneV2.0
9-11-20, 6:06pm
For a while, weren't they considering adding a bridge in there somewhere?