PDA

View Full Version : So do you think you're ready to evacuate?

Tiam
9-12-20, 2:27am
I got to test this two nights ago. As the Almeda fire continued to progress to our town and the evacuation levels started getting called I started preparing to bug out. I don't think I did too bad. I had a list and 2 preprepared boxes. One with important papers and the other with bug out box of emergency food, water, first aid stuff. It didn't take long to gather some more items. Clothes, medicines, candles, flashlights, and dog and cat food and the extra stash of cash. I felt pretty good. In the end, we didn't have to go, we were spared. But my stuff still sits on the hallway floor ready to go as we have fires all around us and I dont' feel safe yet. Still I forgot some things, A collection of gems wasn't included in the bags. I forgot to do a last minute recording of the house and contents. I'm sure I forgot other things too. It was my first time ever bugging out and even though I didn't have to I don't think I did too bad. We had time to gather the things. So it wasn't a rush. If I had had to leave immediately I still think I could have gotten out with the two boxes. I had the cat corralled and ready to put into his carrier. The dog was easily brought. I had my handbag with necessaries in it. I think I could have managed a no warning bug out in about 5 minutes with food, cash, vital papers and some food supplies so I feel pretty good about that. It was good practice not having ever had to do that before.

mschrisgo2
9-12-20, 3:12am
Ugh. My friends on the Mackenzie river left their house at midnight in less than 5 minutes with nothing except the 4 dogs and her purse. Only had shoes on because they always have slip on shoes under the edge of their bed, a habit left over from having lived in earthquake country in California for many years.

They drove their Jeep out. They didn’t have time to take their motorhome, flames were roaring down the hillside into their yard. They both said, We have always assumed we’d have the motorhome in an emergency, and we have everything we need in there. Hmmmm.

KayLR
9-12-20, 12:20pm
That's terrifying, mschrisgo

Simplemind
9-12-20, 12:49pm
We are in the Portland area in level I and haven't had to but my sister and brother have. We have very few things to grab, they are all together, in cases/bags with handles. The RV parked headed out next to the cars, filled and loaded in case we need it or somebody else does. Both sister and brother got out with their RV's and pets.

mschrisgo2
9-13-20, 2:04am
Another evacuation story: Medford, a stage 2, rapidly followed by GO NOW! Adult daughter grabbed her clothes basket full (dirty), and threw all their devices on top, grabbed her moms clothes basket (clean) and threw jewelry and meds on top, while mom stuffed 3 cats into 1 dog carrier, leashed the dog, and they left. Fortunately they had a home to go back to the next day, but I thought that was pretty quick thinking and action on the daughter’s part. Because all their Important Papers and photos are on the devices, they got all the essentials- people, pets, prescriptions, papers, photos- plus a week’s clothes, and jewelry, in 5 minutes!

happystuff
9-13-20, 9:44am
Prayers and wishes for safety to everyone. This thread is making me realize I have quite a bit more organizing to do. I have grab-n-go bags, but without some of the important info/stuff. Definitely need a list, as otherwise I would definitely forget stuff in my rushing.

iris lilies
9-13-20, 10:58am
Another evacuation story: Medford, a stage 2, rapidly followed by GO NOW! Adult daughter grabbed her clothes basket full (dirty), and threw all their devices on top, grabbed her moms clothes basket (clean) and threw jewelry and meds on top, while mom stuffed 3 cats into 1 dog carrier, leashed the dog, and they left. Fortunately they had a home to go back to the next day, but I thought that was pretty quick thinking and action on the daughter’s part. Because all their Important Papers and photos are on the devices, they got all the essentials- people, pets, prescriptions, papers, photos- plus a week’s clothes, and jewelry, in 5 minutes!Yikes, I have an elderly aunt in Medford. She is in her 90’s. Her son is there, though,so he would have helped her.

Do you all keep wads of cash in your bug-out bags?

happystuff
9-13-20, 11:02am

Maybe if I ever end up with money to spare I'll put some in the grab-n-go bags, but right now - a definite no.

JaneV2.0
9-13-20, 11:17am
Friend officiated the scheduled wedding, which was relocated to a less smoky venue in Washington. Because the bride's family didn't know if they still had a house (in the foothills of Mt. Hood) to come home to, it was a bittersweet occasion. The smoke plume has reached here; it looks like fog and smells like chemicals.

Teacher Terry
9-13-20, 12:09pm
Luckily being right in town we don’t have to worry about evacuating. Our smoke today is 245.

Simplemind
9-13-20, 12:27pm

I can't see the house across the street this morning. It is a combo of heavy smoke and fog. We are off the charts.

bae
9-13-20, 1:08pm

Yup, enough to "solve problems" and get the heck out of Dodge.

Tradd
9-14-20, 10:44am
I found this blog/website years ago from another poster here. Great info on getting documents together to bug out.

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/index.html

Teacher Terry
8-30-21, 9:43pm
I brought back this thread as my son’s good friend from high school in Kansas had to evacuate Lake Tahoe. He moved here about 10 years ago. He is staying with us. Fires are always devastating but Tahoe is such a beautiful area and of course tourism a huge part of the economy. I can’t remember the last time it rained yet Louisiana is having a hurricane. I saw flooding there on tv. One of my friends said it felt like the end of time but noted frogs weren’t raining from the sky. I am guessing maybe it’s a biblical reference but not sure. It really sucks.

Jane v2.0
8-30-21, 10:21pm
I'm totally unprepared--in every conceivable way--to bug out. I suppose I should work on that.

GeorgeParker
8-31-21, 12:16am
One of my friends said it felt like the end of time but noted frogs weren’t raining from the sky. I am guessing maybe it’s a biblical reference but not sure. It really sucks.It's a reference to Exodus 8:1, maybe mixed up with stories about frogs and fish sucked up by a tornado as it passed over a pond raining down on a nearby town.

Exodus 8:1 -- Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go to Pharaoh and say to him, ‘This is what the Lord says: Let my people go, so that they may worship me. If you refuse to let them go, I will send a plague of frogs on your whole country. The Nile will teem with frogs. They will come up into your palace and your bedroom and onto your bed, into the houses of your officials and on your people, and into your ovens and kneading troughs. The frogs will come up on you and your people and all your officials.’”

Teacher Terry
8-31-21, 1:28am
Thanks George:)).

GeorgeParker
8-31-21, 9:44am
Chuck Jaffe (MarketWatch columnist) had a chimney fire in 2008. There was no immediate danger, but smoke was building, there were flames shooting out the chimney cap and it was clear everyone needed to be out. So he and his family quickly went outside. It was only then that he realized he had forgotten to grab his bugout box. Full Story: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-fire-and-only-minutes-to-make-critical-decisions

Many people have a wonderful bugout bag with everything they would need if they had to evacuate quickly for any reason. But they've never realized their bugout bag won't do them any good if their house is destroyed by a tornado while they're at work. Nor will it help them if they come home and find their neighborhood blockaded because of a gas leak or a derailed train car leaking toxic fumes. Or if, as happened in Dallas recently, your neighbor's house explodes and shatters your house. Or even if you find yourself standing in the street in your pajamas at 2am because a fire broke out while you were asleep and the only thing you could think about was waking your kids up and getting everybody out.

The point is: The best bugout bag in the world won't help you survive or help you put your legal/financial life back together quickly, unless you can be sure it will be accessible in a sudden emergency.

For that reason I strongly suggest you keep all the essentials in a locked suitcase stored at the house of a relative or a very trusted friend who lives close enough to come rescue you, but far enough away to not be affected by a local disaster in your neighborhood. By "essentials" I mean some clothes, money, copies of important documents, some cash, and even a duplicate credit card; IOW a mini version of the bugout bag you keep at home without the mementos and one-of-a-kind items. And be sure to update both of your bugout bags 2 or 3 times a year by adding any new information you would need to put your legal/financial life back together after a disaster.

Clothing Note: Anyone can survive for several weeks wearing purely functional clothes like underwear, sweatpants, a teeshirt, and a sweatshirt. Remember, it's a disaster bugout bag, so don't stuff it full of clothes that look like you're trying to impress someone. You'll end up regretting the bulk and weight if you do.