PDA

View Full Version : Value

catherine
10-23-20, 2:16pm
In YMOYL, value for money is key.

What are you willing to spend more money on?
What do you value in terms of the purchases in your lives?

Simplemind
10-23-20, 2:28pm
Pre pandemic I would have said travel and experiences. All other things we pretty much like what we have and don't see replacing in the near future.

razz
10-23-20, 2:40pm
Interesting thread to explore.

I have changed my views over the years.

Now I value:
- good shoes for the longterm use vs style
- some good longterm underwear and socks vs lots of them
- a basic car with good mileage and able to haul all I need (Prius V) vs sporty (a bright red Vibe)
- modest phone - cell and landline - vs all the bells and whistles beyond call display and message

As Covid continues, I am finding it easier to simplify further and focus more on people vs activities requiring tickets and trips.

iris lilies
10-23-20, 4:03pm
I am so glad I finally purchased my sporty bright red convertible. It has been a source of entertainment during these lockdown months.

So, these days I value GOOD entertainment. Hard to find.

Dislike intensely electronics with bells and whistles if they are not intuitive to pick up and value simple old solid whatevers, which is why certain things from the thrift stores please me.

This year I am valuing the contribution my favorite organizations are making to the world and am sending them more $than usual. Because we are not traveling,
I have more dinero to spread around.

ApatheticNoMore
10-23-20, 4:23pm

- healthy organic food, but I don't need to spend even more, I'm already spendy
- I suppose if it's within reason (aka employer provided, because it's not within reason outside of that) I'll contribute to get the best health insurance I can
- I don't know there are times I'm struggling, and spending for therapy or even a massage for stress seems worthwhile (ha not the latter with covid for sure), other times it really doesn't
- well I guess I'm spending for higher speed internet, but when your working from home most of the time really don't have much of a choice

I'm fairly picky with purchases, I try for quality etc., but often it doesn't really matter much, nothing is all that high quality these days and I know it

rosarugosa
10-23-20, 5:26pm
Actually, every single thing that Razz listed. In 2020, our quality entertainment has mostly been free, but I agree with IL that well-considered charitable contributions were especially important this year.
Good food and wine.
Plants and bird food.
ANM: I would not have listed medical expenses, but you are right; I guess they are so fundamental to my values that I didn't even think of them in this conversation. DH had (IMHO) a somewhat crappy dentist for most of his adult life. Now that crappy dentist has retired, we are paying big time for crowns, bridges, root canals. Whenever he tells me that there is another expenditure, I say "OK, it's your teeth, whatever needs to be done we will do it." It seems like a no-brainer to me, but certainly this comes from a place of privilege and not everyone thinks this way.

pinkytoe
10-23-20, 5:59pm
The hard part is that often a higher price does not guarantee quality. Items I would spend more on are those practical things I touch/use everyday. Bed linens, pillows, soap, good food. Good coffee and beer. I get very frustrated by so many things that are not designed or made well like present day furniture and cheap clothing/shoes. One thing I spent a lot on was having real wood floors installed in this house and I have never regretted it. I don't like "pictures of wood" floors or other household things that mimic the real thing.

Tammy
10-23-20, 6:09pm
Quality kindle books

Teacher Terry
10-23-20, 7:06pm
It was traveling and experiences and lately I spent money buying some new pictures and a cabinet to update my home. We mostly have everything we need.

Rogar
10-23-20, 7:51pm
The last few years I've gradually replaced a handful of hand-me-down furniture that I'd had for decades. The rule has been if the wood comes from a questionable source, I don't buy it. A couple of pieces were made by a local craftsman. I don't have extravagant tastes, but pay a premium above what I think of as standard consumer grade for shoes, sunglasses, beer, and groceries.

"What do you value in terms of the purchases in your lives?"

I have a spoiled American lifestyle, but within that, try to consider the environmental footprint of things I consume and keep things simple and healthy.

SteveinMN
10-23-20, 8:34pm
I spend more on things I use a lot.

I pound on this laptop for several hours pretty much every day; I have no problem paying the "Apple tax" for a MacBook Pro; DW's ThinkPad was about a third of the Apple's cost and, based on the quality of the screen and cabinet, is worth just about that. I wouldn't be happy using that machine every day and I suspect I'll still be using this MacBook long after the ThinkPad is a memory. We drink a fair amount of coffee in this house; we spent a fair (but not market-topping) amount of money for our new coffeemaker (Bonavita) and the coffee ain't cheap either. But I drink only coffee or water or whiskey (occasionally), so I think the coffee is worth spending some money on. Besides, I fully expect this machine to last as long as the previous coffeemaker did; somewhere between ten and fifteen years.

Winter tires; we don't buy the cheap ones. We don't buy the most expensive ones (most of the time) either; we probably pay toward the higher end of the range because they're on our cars for five or six months of every year. Dishwasher? It's the most expensive appliance in this house (at least until we start replacing some of the older ones). But it's used every two or three days and I like that I just put dirty dishes in and they come out after a while clean and dry while using less water than I waste waiting for the tap to get hot.

On the other hand, I will cheerfully wear $10 jeans from Target or Fleet Farm or Goodwill. I'm as happy with a $10 bottle of wine as I am with an $80 bottle. If we're traveling, a hotel room that's clean and well-located means more to me than fancy sheets and doormen (or whatever non-gendered term exists for them now); I don't care much about the brand but I do care about the price. And I can put up with a lot for a couple of nights.

I prefer to buy stuff that can be fixed when it breaks. I value performance over appearance. Intuitive design is important. But probably the overriding consideration on how much I'll pay for something is how much I'll regret cheaping out on it as I use it often over the years.

Tybee
10-23-20, 8:41pm

I seem to be drawn lately to things that are "right"--sort of the William Morris thing about beautiful or useful, but lately, I want them to be both, to be exactly what I have wanted all these years--and lately, I have been buying second hand things that delight me with their beauty, but I think it is because they return me to an earlier point in my life. I pay for things like a vintage Copco pan or a needlepoint purse from the 1920's that reminds me of my grandmother's era. I think I will pay more for things that are familiar and comforting in their familiarity, as I know they work--Clinique moisturizer, LL Bean flannel nightgowns, a refill for my Cross pen. I think I value order a lot, and these things create a sense of order, in that they surround me with familiar, comfortable sensations and visual input.

Yppej
10-23-20, 9:19pm
I went with a more expensive roofer who presented proof of insurance, pulled a permit, etc.

herbgeek
10-24-20, 6:26am
I tend to do middle of the road with most things. My one big indulgence is travel and every day carry bags (and related accessories). Nothing worse than having luggage fail while traveling. For everyday, I'll pay a premium for features such as having o rings to connect things to, so they don't fall out/get lost and these items are made in the US, so labor costs are higher. I will also occasionally pay for premium food/drink but I'm also ok with box wine as an everyday thing. ;)

JaneV2.0
10-24-20, 10:17am
That's funny about the "Apple tax." I've long wondered why people prefer them. I'm pounding away on a nine (?) year-old Gateway/AMD laptop. I've had to add a new keyboard, and it's probably on its last diodes, but it's been good so far. I have a Dell for backup.

I'm spending lots more for food--I haven't been shopping at Grocery Outlet since this all started. I miss it. I spend quite a bit on (cheap) Ebooks (via BookBub), but I download pricier ones from the library system.

I've been at the "you can't take it with you" stage for some years now and I've never been particularly careful with money, anyway.

LDAHL
10-24-20, 10:25am
Life is too short to drink cheap scotch.

catherine
10-24-20, 10:38am
I find that I invest money in things that should last a while. Also things that give me a certain pleasure along the lines of what Tybee mentioned: beautiful Moleskine journals for instance. Japanese design thrills me--and I really love their similar version of IDEA: great design+high function--MUJI. And MUJI isn't even expensive! But boy, the value is there.

But one of the reasons I brought up this thread is because DH and I are figuring out how to make our bathroom more functional--it only has a clawfoot tub and a hand shower which is very impractical (but beautiful). He's for getting rid of the tub and just getting one of those cheap plastic shower inserts. I tell him that I'm not going to go crazy money-wise, but I'm also not going cheap when it's an investment in the home, and not just that, but we have to look at it and live in it every day. I will not go cheap on something like that.

OTOH, clothes mean nothing to me, really, except I do love LLBean. Bed sheets: I won't pay more than 20 dollars for a set of Queen sheets. There is no way I would pay $80 for a duvet. I hate the price of curtains. I am not a foodie, and if it weren't for my foodie husband, I could live very simply on vegetarian soups and good breads.

Also like Tybee, my favorite things are those that have a patina, or a story, or both. I'll pay for things like that.

JaneV2.0
10-24-20, 11:00am
Life is too short to drink cheap scotch.

But after the first one, they all taste the same.

LDAHL
10-24-20, 11:10am
But after the first one, they all taste the same.

Not to the educated palate imbibing in an intelligent way.

ApatheticNoMore
10-24-20, 11:18am
I'm picky like Tybee in that I like things to be exactly what I want, so picky yes. But since covid I'm pretty uninterested in buying anything, it was a complete push in that direction, but when I do buy something (since I'm not pure spiritual light here) I want it to be just exactly as I want in the same way.

I don't have a house to pour money into. I like my clothes to be attractive, but I don't pursue high fashion or a massive clothes collection. I've bought over $100 bed sheets and even more expensive blankets, the thing is I don't need new sheets and probably not blankets either, and will probably use them until they are rags, so I don't think about them anymore (and then I'll order another $120 sheet or something :)). Sunk costs, and not even ones that bother me (truthfully the only purchases that do are those I don't use or that fall apart quickly or that are not fit for purpose). So yes I'll spend money up front in hopes something being just what I'm looking for and of keeping something awhile (but like I said stuff is not well made that often these days). The curtains aren't pricey. And I am a bit of a foodie, a health-foodie, so farmers markets - I'm there looking for the tastiest tomatoes and bell peppers and green beans.

happystuff
10-24-20, 11:48am
At this particular moment, if I could find a GOOD pair of shoes for walking the 8 hours/day at work - I would be willing to pay more than I normally would for shoes!

razz
10-24-20, 12:07pm
At this particular moment, if I could find a GOOD pair of shoes for walking the 8 hours/day at work - I would be willing to pay more than I normally would for shoes!

That is the reality check on choosing value, isn't it?

razz
10-24-20, 2:57pm
Just finished watching a wonderful live concert from the Metropolitan Opera in a gorgeous Italian palace with an amazing accompanist on the piano.
Along with my initial list, I would add that extraordinary performers of whatever art medium are a priceless treasure to enjoy so I would give up many things to be able to continue to enjoy them.

catherine
10-24-20, 5:10pm
Just finished watching a wonderful live concert from the Metropolitan Opera in a gorgeous Italian palace with an amazing accompanist on the piano.
Along with my initial list, I would add that extraordinary performers of whatever art medium are a priceless treasure to enjoy so I would give up many things to be able to continue to enjoy them.

Good one! Yes, live performances are often priceless. I don't regret the money I spent seeing any Broadway play or Paul McCartney in concert.

happystuff
10-24-20, 7:03pm
That is the reality check on choosing value, isn't it?

Absolutely!

iris lilies
10-25-20, 11:16am
Today it occurred to me that I do not value “value packs” of anything. I like small numbers of things. I want a pair of work gloves and one back up pair at each property. I don’t like storing six pairs or eight pairs that come in those stupid value packs.

Same for garden shoes. I want a working pair of garden shoes that get dirty and a back up pair for when that first pair is wet and muddy. That means four pairs of old garden shoes. So that’s what happens to my newly purchased shoes they become old garden shoes.

Gardnr
10-27-20, 1:56pm
Travel, quality walking shoes, my art of quilting, restaurant meals, really good vodka. I don't need clothes, shoes, furniture, gizmos, or the latest and greatest of any of these things.

frugal-one
10-27-20, 3:14pm
Experiences... I don't need things.

jp1
10-27-20, 7:05pm
I tend to be willing to spend extra money to Get something durable and attractive. For instance before I ordered a new desk for my work office recently I went to the store and looked at it up close to make sure that it was notCheap ikea grade Furniture. I want it to last forever I’m fine spending $600 for it which is obviously more than I would spend other places. If there is t a clear delineation of good vs mediocre quality for a product I need I’ll buy the cheapest I can find and the I keep a record of what and where I got it so I can just buy a replacement as needed. For instance my kegerator recently died so I replaced a capacitor (I think that’s what it was) which fixed it. But it was like $4 from china so I won’t be surprised if I need to buy another one 6 months or a few years down the road.

ApatheticNoMore
10-27-20, 7:18pm
Well I bought an Ikea desk and had it delivered at the start of the pandemic when stores were closing for lock down in March, and I was scared of going to them anyway, for working from home which was never part of the job description either, and won't be in the long run (unfortunately but that's the way it goes). Because it beat using a dinning room table as a desk 40 hours a week! It needed to be something light enough to deliver with no humans entering my place due to covid risk (aka Ikea).

I have more expensive furniture, but not that was bought in a pandemic lockdown. No it was bought in the before times.

jp1
10-27-20, 9:53pm
If I just needed a desk for covid I’d probably have just stuck with the tired banquet table SO brought home from work years ago that was being discarded. But since I already worked from home pre-covid and will (hopefully) be doing so for the next ten years or so until I retire I figured a nice desk was in order now that I have a dedicated office space in our new house. Once I retire it can transition to my personal al ‘den’ desk.

Tenngal
10-28-20, 12:45pm
Shoes, comfortable enough I wear them frequently. Same for outer wear.

ewomack
10-28-20, 1:17pm
Good, healthy food always justifies the cost (to certain limits, of course). And books. At least, books that I have time to read. I've gone through some phases where I overbought books to a degree that I couldn't keep up. When I found a book that I hadn't read on my bookshelf with a 10-year old receipt in it, I knew I had a problem.

I'm also a recovering collector and I've found that many of the things that I "collected" have far less meaning for me now than when I "collected" them. Collecting served as a diversion from other problems and concerns. Coins, collector's books, cards, trinkets, magnets, statues, action figures, etc. I never had a lot of stuff - no one would call me a hoarder - but it was enough to make me think hard. I've sold or donated a huge chunk of that now and try to focus more on useful things that I need rather than buying as a coping mechanism.

So, just enough food and the right amount of books. That seems to work.

happystuff
10-29-20, 11:03am
I'm also a recovering collector and I've found that many of the things that I "collected" have far less meaning for me now than when I "collected" them. Collecting served as a diversion from other problems and concerns. Coins, collector's books, cards, trinkets, magnets, statues, action figures, etc. I never had a lot of stuff - no one would call me a hoarder - but it was enough to make me think hard. I've sold or donated a huge chunk of that now and try to focus more on useful things that I need rather than buying as a coping mechanism.

I can relate to the collecting. My very first apartment and I received my first Carol Wright booklet in the mail. Ordered a set of thimbles "because they were small and wouldn't take up much space". 1000+ thimbles later and I'm well over it! Most are packed up and ready for me to sell or do something with. Funny how perceptions of collections can change through the years.

JaneV2.0
10-29-20, 12:34pm
I love the idea of furnishing an office in style--I've always loved the trappings of work: office supplies, office furniture, everything but the actual work part. I probably wouldn't mind that so much now that people can easily avoid commuting and much of the office politics crap by working from home.

My collections have always been practical--shoes, art supplies, kitchen tools, though I come from a family of serious collectors.

As for value, I just ordered four bottles of Trader Vic's salad dressing that, with shipping, was very spendy (Amazon doesn't have it in stock). But I've been a fan for some sixty years now, and I make no apologies.

Geila
11-3-20, 3:13pm
I saw gardening shoes mentioned. I'm looking for something that provides good support, especially the arches as I have plantar fasciitis. Any brand recommendations? I usually just use my regular walking shoes - Easy Spirit - but then they end up soaking wet.

rosarugosa
11-3-20, 6:16pm
I saw gardening shoes mentioned. I'm looking for something that provides good support, especially the arches as I have plantar fasciitis. Any brand recommendations? I usually just use my regular walking shoes - Easy Spirit - but then they end up soaking wet.

It's funny you should ask that particular question, since I've been thinking I should talk about my new garden clogs on the Raves thread. I recently bought a pair of Muckster garden clogs to replace an old, falling apart pair of garden clogs I got from LL Bean many years ago. I got the fleece lined pair, which might not be as awesome for CA as for MA, but I love them. My feet go ummmm when I slip them on! Unfortunately, I cannot really address the arch support since that isn't an issue for me. They do offer free shipping and free return shipping though. I also had gotten on their e-mail list, and I bought these when they sent a me a 40% off offer, so I got my $90 clogs for $54. These are the ones I got:
https://www.muckbootcompany.com/products/womens-muckster-ii-clog
I'm kind of in love with them. <3

Geila
11-3-20, 6:56pm
It's funny you should ask that particular question, since I've been thinking I should talk about my new garden clogs on the Raves thread. I recently bought a pair of Muckster garden clogs to replace an old, falling apart pair of garden clogs I got from LL Bean many years ago. I got the fleece lined pair, which might not be as awesome for CA as for MA, but I love them. My feet go ummmm when I slip them on! Unfortunately, I cannot really address the arch support since that isn't an issue for me. They do offer free shipping and free return shipping though. I also had gotten on their e-mail list, and I bought these when they sent a me a 40% off offer, so I got my $90 clogs for $54. These are the ones I got:
https://www.muckbootcompany.com/products/womens-muckster-ii-clog
I'm kind of in love with them. <3

Oohhh... so many nice ones! I can't do clogs because of my arch but I wish I could. I like these https://www.muckbootcompany.com/collections/women/products/womens-muckster-ii-mid-green-veggie-print I just have to read up and see how they do on support. And so many cute ankle boots! If we ever got any rain here I'd snatch these up: https://www.muckbootcompany.com/collections/women/products/liberty-ankle-leather-perf-taupe

Congrats on your new babies! :D Good shoes are so wonderful.

Thanks for the recommendation.

rosarugosa
11-3-20, 7:11pm
Geila: I would have gone for cuter, but I really wanted the fleece, so basic black it is. :)

nswef
11-4-20, 9:05am
geila, I use Brooks leather velcro strap oxfords (sneakers)- They're about 7 years old, have held up well, hold my orthotic, easy on off with the velcro. We're in MD so sometimes wet and often very dirty. I keep them in the garage and scrub them off with a brush every so often. My feet still get dirty....not sure how even through the socks, but much better than cloth sneakers and clogs don't give me enough balance, although I use crocs for in and out- up to the compost etc. but not actual garden work.

nswef
11-4-20, 9:09am
https://www.zappos.com/p/brooks-addiction-walker-v-strap-2-black-black/product/9224978/color/183092? (https://www.zappos.com/p/brooks-addiction-walker-v-strap-2-black-black/product/9224978/color/183092?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=pla_g&utm_campaign=329642245&utm_term=pla-__iv_c_80676713310020_w_pla-4584276304152925_g_1290826791613724_n_o_e__h__ii__ j_4584276304152925_z_US_f_Online_o_46665593_i_EN_s _Zappos_p_2_d_c_vi__&utm_content=46665593&zap_placement=&_ivgu=98df90ca-461a-4a53-ad4f-893e7e0adffa) This is the site Geila

Sonora Shepherd
12-18-20, 3:51pm
Well, we didn't get value from our four year old fancy schmancy double door Kenmore fridge. Our appliance repairman said the compressor is failing and we'd better shop for another fridge. We never buy extended warranties so we don't have recourse there. The repairman seems to think a lot of the parts in the fridge were made in China. Oh, well. We ordered a new fridge from Costco. The old fridge we gave up four years ago is probably still running somewhere.

rosarugosa
12-18-20, 4:22pm
Well, we didn't get value from our four year old fancy schmancy double door Kenmore fridge. Our appliance repairman said the compressor is failing and we'd better shop for another fridge. We never buy extended warranties so we don't have recourse there. The repairman seems to think a lot of the parts in the fridge were made in China. Oh, well. We ordered a new fridge from Costco. The old fridge we gave up four years ago is probably still running somewhere.

Wow, only four years from a fridge is really lousy. Our non-fancy Kenmore is going strong after a lot of years. I'm not sure just how many, but we're only on our second fridge since 1985.

nswef
12-19-20, 11:22am
we've gone through many refrigerators in 47 years...This last one has lasted well. A Maytag, 2000, I ordered a new one because 20 years...we have surge protectors now and I think that makes a big difference in how long they last. Our problem is the space is small...so there are only 2 that will fit that are currently made. It was back ordered for months...may come in January. I just don't want to be stuck with a broken fridge.

Tybee
12-19-20, 2:10pm
Seven years ago we brought our old fridge with us from SC because it looked so bad and I didn't want potential buyers to ask for a new refrigerator.

Seven years later, it's still going strong although my husband has managed to break all the drawers and he put in a wooden rack which looks ridiculous.

I guess we are leaving it this time. At least it works!

rosarugosa
12-19-20, 7:25pm
Seven years ago we brought our old fridge with us from SC because it looked so bad and I didn't want potential buyers to ask for a new refrigerator.

Seven years later, it's still going strong although my husband has managed to break all the drawers and he put in a wooden rack which looks ridiculous.

I guess we are leaving it this time. At least it works!

So that worked out perfectly!

thinkgreen
12-20-20, 1:49am
I don't want to jinx it. Our Maytag fridge was bought in 1994. Had a couple of repairs but still working well. Much like nswef it is a small one and would be difficult to fit a new one where it is. It is a side by side fridge/freezer. A good layout for us back then as it still is now. Knock on wood...

dado potato
12-20-20, 10:32am
I paid more for organic jumbo black pepper, Peppercorns are sorted, and the jumbo ones go through a coarser mesh. I have a choice what peppercorns to put in a pepper mill, to grind immediately before shaking on meat, etc. I think bigger peppercorns have had more time to grow and develop full and complex flavor,

pony mom
12-27-20, 10:04pm
In April my mom's cousin passed away and I am his executrix. He had many high quality things, as well as a lot of things stashed away instead of being disposed. Bordering on hoarding. Finally the house is empty and under contract.

I vow to get rid of as much of my own stuff as I can, and buy only what I really really need, and buy the best as inexpensively as possible. More than enough clothes, and I buy better quality in thrift stores when needed. Horse equipment is slowly being scaled down to one quality item when needed. One well-designed, hard wearing saddle pad (my old ones will be put on consignment), my new to me saddle cost me $400, but will require $900 of work to fit my pony and I perfectly, which is well worth the money. I've always bought the best I could afford and took care of everything; still using a 30 year old bridle, my old 30 year old saddle looks great and ready to be sold, and even my winter riding clothes are ancient but doing OK.

Most of the things I use daily have been scaled down to the best of the best. Now I buzz my hair with clippers, allowing me to save money and have a trim whenever I want one.

My cousin had lots of nice things but I don't think he actually enjoyed or used all he had. He certainly didn't get the full value of his belongings.